Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas QB Cole Kelley has rejoined team following suspension

Started by Pecos Hog, November 20, 2017, 01:15:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pecos Hog

jgphillips3

Thank God.  Now we have a chance.  It's obvious Austin is too hurt to throw the ball more than 20 yards with any degree of accuracy.  At least this gives us hope in the Mizzou game.  Might have won us the MSU game as well.

phadedhawg

I wish we had him, he might've got us a win against Miss State but he should be off the team until next Spring.  A DUI is a very serious charge.

GolfnHog

Quote from: phadedhawg on November 20, 2017, 01:20:13 pm
I wish we had him, he might've got us a win against Miss State but he should be off the team until next Spring.  A DUI is a very serious charge.

In one breath you want him but yet you want him to be divested of all team activities until spring. If he's to be the potential starter next season why should he not be allowed to work-out and practice in off-season conditioning with daily reps of "extra conditioning" as a reminder that there are consequences for the actions? Granted DUI is a serious  offense that can have catastrophic results,  yet everyday in this world more people are getting killed or injured by texting and distracted driving moreso than DUI. See below:
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

hoglady

Whether he can or can't help the team should have no bearing on anything.

We are talking about a team where players miss parts of games for being late to a meeting.
A DWI is serious business - a one game/one week suspension is laughable.
What about all these other players who had to work there way back on the team after lesser offenses.

Holtz - Do right rules are in order here. Applied evenly though out the team no matter your position or where you were in the pecking order of importance.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

elksnort

Will CBB allow him to Play?
Or will he put Austin out there on 1 1/2 leg?

_Hamlet_

Quote from: elksnort on November 20, 2017, 04:55:06 pm
Will CBB allow him to Play?
Or will he put Austin out there on 1 1/2 leg?

Of course he is playing why otherwise would he activate him? I would take any QB not from Fay High.

NuttinItUp

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2017/nov/20/cole-kelley

QuoteBielema did not divulge whether Kelley would play in Arkansas' season finale against Missouri on Friday. He attended the Mississippi State game and sat in the student section.

"That probably showed me the love that he has for his guys," Bielema said.

It's all about the love, man.

longpig

Quote from: hoglady on November 20, 2017, 04:50:19 pm
Whether he can or can't help the team should have no bearing on anything.

We are talking about a team where players miss parts of games for being late to a meeting.
A DWI is serious business - a one game/one week suspension is laughable.
What about all these other players who had to work there way back on the team after lesser offenses.

Holtz - Do right rules are in order here. Applied evenly though out the team no matter your position or where you were in the pecking order of importance.

Bielema's gone so the precedent means nothing to him.
Don't be scared, be smart.

hoglady

Quote from: longpig on November 20, 2017, 05:08:15 pm
Bielema's gone so the precedent means nothing to him.

But it should.
If he's got these strict principles that he believes are best for these young men then him leaving shouldn't matter. He's still the coach now and Kelley shouldn't get a pass on this.
Actually it's not good for Kelley to just skate by.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

ronmahony

He is going to switch and let Ty set out the rest of the suspension!
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

husker71

How can he help us???  Is a victory over Missouri important to any of you at this point ??  Let the season end and start anew.  Would I like to see a victory??  of course and I would like to see the seniors go out with a victory BUT lets get a look at Storey and some of the others who can help us in the future.  What I would like (a victory) is very secondary to me at this time.  Go out and play and hope for no injuries and 1 hour after the game start the wheels in motion for getting this program where it should be.

FrankCourtneyNicodemus

Quote from: husker71 on November 20, 2017, 06:53:51 pm
How can he help us???  Is a victory over Missouri important to any of you at this point ??  Let the season end and start anew.  Would I like to see a victory??  of course and I would like to see the seniors go out with a victory BUT lets get a look at Storey and some of the others who can help us in the future.  What I would like (a victory) is very secondary to me at this time.  Go out and play and hope for no injuries and 1 hour after the game start the wheels in motion for getting this program where it should be.

Isn't Storey transferring?

Let CK play. Try and win for the players. No offense, but a DUI is not the end of the world.

Piggfoot

Kelley has not been convicted of a DUI unless that happened today. He had an injured foot so part of the field sobriety test may be invalid.
I doubt he was charged today if he was reinstated on the team.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

_Hamlet_

Quote from: Piggfoot on November 20, 2017, 08:19:49 pm
Kelley has not been convicted of a DUI unless that happened today. He had an injured foot so part of the field sobriety test may be invalid.
I doubt he was charged today if he was reinstated on the team.

An injured foot doesn't make blowing above the limit invalid.

PossumFan

Ever since Jeff Long was fired, no integrity in this program.

(Sorry, couldn't resist :-) )

_Hamlet_

Quote from: PossumFan on November 20, 2017, 09:17:18 pm
Ever since Jeff Long was fired, no integrity in this program.

(Sorry, couldn't resist :-) )

Haha. The train has come off the tracks.

HognotinMemphis

I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

The Kig

Quote from: GolfnHog on November 20, 2017, 01:31:21 pm
In one breath you want him but yet you want him to be divested of all team activities until spring. If he's to be the potential starter next season why should he not be allowed to work-out and practice in off-season conditioning with daily reps of "extra conditioning" as a reminder that there are consequences for the actions? Granted DUI is a serious  offense that can have catastrophic results,  yet everyday in this world more people are getting killed or injured by texting and distracted driving moreso than DUI. See below:

Completely what is wrong with society today summed up in one ignorant post.   Running bleachers>killing someone driving under the influence because...we need a QB. 

Did Cole make a dumb kid mistake?  Absolutely.  Is minimizing it with a few extra laps appropriate punishment?  No...or he never learns that's it's not ok to force your stupid decisions on other people's lives.
Poker Porker

hogginbama

But putting him off the team until next spring does not go with the "who cares how we win, just win dammit" crowd that we have in Arkansas.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

3kgthog

Quote from: _Hamlet_ on November 20, 2017, 09:16:10 pm
An injured foot doesn't make blowing above the limit invalid.

Kinda hard to blow above the limit when you refuse to take a breathalyzer test.

hogginbama

How about this scenario....Kelley was arrested at 8:27 am and refused to take a breathalyzer test. Since he is only 20 yrs old, anything thing on the test registering over .02% would allow him to be charged with a DUI. For a male at 240 lbs, 1 alcoholic drink could and normally does put you over the .02% limit. For his weight, it would take probably 2 beers. How many of our holier than thou fans who are chastising the decision to set him a week and back on have gone to eat with their buddies or significant other and had a beer or two then drove home? Make sure you call uber or walk home when you have that one beer at the local wing shack next time.

https://www.lawyers.com/legal-info/criminal/dui-dwi/blood-alcohol-concentration-bac-chart-how-many-drinks-does-it-take-to-be-over-the-limit.html

My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

Jimbob111

blah, blah...he's a college kid who jumped a curb and didn't kill anybody. My brother was maimed by a 16 year old kid who did nothing wrong except pull out into traffic.

Shoulda woulda coulda but didnt kill anybody. Don't drink and drive. Might as well say don't be young and dumb.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

SquidBilly

I love those who believe the best way to solve a problem is by getting rid of it.  Did Kelley make an error in judgment?  Yes.  Did he deserve to be punished? Yes.  Is the best way to teach him not to do it again to ostracize him?  No.  Rehabilitation is far more effective in this case.  I think CBB is handling this the right way.

old_school_hawg

Quote from: 3kgthog on November 21, 2017, 01:03:24 am
Kinda hard to blow above the limit when you refuse to take a breathalyzer test.

He refused? He's done then. Under the omnibus driver's license law you agree, by virtue of being granted a driver's license, to a chemical sobriety test (ie breath or blood). Refusal to submit is viewed as an admission of guilt by the courts, so very hard to build a case there. Most cases move straight to sentencing with the loss of the DL for a minimum of one year along with fines and counseling. This isn't going to end well for him in the short term, but it's not the end of the world either. Hopefully he learns from this moving forward and everything works out great for him in the long term.
"I tried being reasonable. I didn't like it."-Clint Eastwood

"Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid." -John Wayne

hogginbama

Quote from: old_school_hawg on November 21, 2017, 05:57:02 am
He refused? He's done then. Under the omnibus driver's license law you agree, by virtue of being granted a driver's license, to a chemical sobriety test (ie breath or blood). Refusal to submit is viewed as an admission of guilt by the courts, so very hard to build a case there. Most cases move straight to sentencing with the loss of the DL for a minimum of one year along with fines and counseling. This isn't going to end well for him in the short term, but it's not the end of the world either. Hopefully he learns from this moving forward and everything works out great for him in the long term.

Not so fast my friend.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/bills-rookie-rb-jonathan-williams-acquitted-dwi-arkansas/story?id=47931792

oldhawg

Quote from: Jimbob111 on November 21, 2017, 01:15:06 am
blah, blah...he's a college kid who jumped a curb and didn't kill anybody. My brother was maimed by a 16 year old kid who did nothing wrong except pull out into traffic.

Shoulda woulda coulda but didnt kill anybody. Don't drink and drive. Might as well say don't be young and dumb.

So the standard is, "Don't jump the curb and kill someone."  Just trying to understand what you are saying.  Twenty-five years ago this very thing happened to friends of mine and my wife.  Their daughter (a college student) was killed by a drunk driver (another college student) on campus when he jumped the curb and ran over her.  Parents never really totally recover from that.

Punishment for DWI should be a bit more severe than ineligibility for a week, perhaps loss of scholarship for a semester or a year ---- standard at all universities across the nation.

This from someone who did my fair share of drinking as a college student in the sixties, when awareness of alcohol-related incidences were much less, not that it would have made a lot of difference.  But I had no car, so I staggered wherever I went.

LJHOG

longpig

Quote from: hogginbama on November 21, 2017, 01:10:21 am
How about this scenario....Kelley was arrested at 8:27 am and refused to take a breathalyzer test. Since he is only 20 yrs old, anything thing on the test registering over .02% would allow him to be charged with a DUI. For a male at 240 lbs, 1 alcoholic drink could and normally does put you over the .02% limit. For his weight, it would take probably 2 beers. How many of our holier than thou fans who are chastising the decision to set him a week and back on have gone to eat with their buddies or significant other and had a beer or two then drove home? Make sure you call uber or walk home when you have that one beer at the local wing shack next time.

https://www.lawyers.com/legal-info/criminal/dui-dwi/blood-alcohol-concentration-bac-chart-how-many-drinks-does-it-take-to-be-over-the-limit.html

A.M.?
Don't be scared, be smart.

PorkRinds

Other players have had DUI arrests and had similar punishments. Wasn't there a guy that fell asleep in a drive thru at Popeyes or something a few years back? I know he was allowed to come back once he did what he was supposed to do.

SamBuckhart

DUI means OUT. Please, no more driving while drinking. Cole has to step out and be an example.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

1highhog

Yep, I agree. 

1highhog

Quote from: LJHOG on November 21, 2017, 10:34:48 am
he shouldn't have been suspended in the first place

Are you some kind of idiot?  What does this show the other players?  I hope to God you don't have kids or at least are one of those skateboarders who try to intentionally bust their balls while straddling some handrail, this way the world rids itself of jack asses with no sense procreating.

1highhog

Quote from: JimDandy on November 20, 2017, 07:17:47 pm
Isn't Storey transferring?

Let CK play. Try and win for the players. No offense, but a DUI is not the end of the world.

Not the end of the world for you,,, unless he killed you while running up on the curb and hitting you, or hey, better yet, not you, but how about your kid??  That way you're still alive, isn't that great?  But your kid, dead...  But to borrow a quote from you, (No offense, but a DUI is not the end of the world).

davglo35

If he is not in jail or out on bond then he shoud be able to play like normal. You kill someone and that's a different story. Same with robbing a store of burglery. Fines are stiff and loss of license for a kid is a tough punishment and don't forget that his auto insurance will sky rocket.

SchrodingersHog

There are a number of posts here about not ostracizing Kelley, he's been punished already, he didn't kill anyone, texting kills more people, etc.

Seriously?  Driving under the influence is a childish, selfish act that means the offender does not care if another person gets hurt or killed.

Kelley should have been suspended for the remainder of the season, whether we need him or not.  He, and anyone caught DUI, should be required to spend time with victims of drunk drivers and with surviving family of someone killed by a drunk.  Yes, he's still a kid, but children never learn unless they are taught better. 

And then there's the bad example this sets for every other immature, self-centered jerk that thinks it's okay to drink and drive.

rude1

You can always depend on the holier than thou Hogville Select crew to convict, even when they have no information. Here is All that we know from the arrest report. CK jumps curb allegedly according to report, he gets pulled over, fails sobriety field test according to report, refuses breathalyzer, is arrested because of the refusal to submit to test and given DUI. Now what we don't know is even if CK had a drink or not, did he not submit to the test because he felt he was pulled over for nothing and was unaware of the consequences of not submitting to the test?

But lets not let insignificant stuff like not knowing what the facts are from doing what the Holy Hogville does, become judge, jury, and executioner...........

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.