Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nicest Guy

Started by bphi11ips, November 20, 2017, 01:08:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ22

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 20, 2017, 02:12:39 pm
Bret was right about the Texas high school female style of football coaches. 
Right or wrong, was Bret right or smart to alienate the coaches in the state that has sustained Arkansas football for much of its history?
For the latest Arkansas High School 7-on-7 football news:

http://7on7football.blogspot.com/

greenie

I like Bret.  I wish he could have been our coach a long time, but patience vanished and knives came out.  Very sad for him and his staff. 
Best wishes to him.

jst01

Quote from: greenie on November 20, 2017, 02:16:54 pm
but patience vanished and knives came out. 

Yes...5 years isn't enough time. Poor guy.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: 212hawg on November 20, 2017, 02:05:43 pm
I agree with you 100%, Dave.  Losing Pittman hurt big time.  I think the second thing that killed him was the way last season ended.  If he had gotten to 9 wins with that team, it might have bought him some goodwill for this year.  On paper, there are plenty of reasons why this season was a struggle (ton of injuries to key guys and lots of youth in other spots), but he was already in a deficit because of how last season ended.  If he had held on and won those going away like the first half indicated, I think he could have made it through this season.

I agree it was just that close... but so were many games in the CBB era.. just win the ones you should or had in your grasp and he has a decent record.. but he didn't.

It's also why I think another coach can be successful.. win the ones you should and split the rest, is a good start..

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Russ22 on November 20, 2017, 02:16:43 pm
Right or wrong, was Bret right or smart to alienate the coaches in the state that has sustained Arkansas football for much of its history?

Supplemented - not sustained.  What difference does it make with the amount of soft players coming out of Texas?  Hope you hire Morris and remain soft. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Russ22

Quote from: ricepig on November 20, 2017, 02:15:42 pm
I figured an Aggie fan would want to see him kept around, but I guess we'll both be starting from scratch.
Looks that way, but I don't agree with the A&M decision with the turmoil that is happening and likely to spread when the regular season ends next Saturday.

When Bret is gone, I will be able to root for the Hogs again with my family (11 out of 12 games anyway).

factchecker

Quote from: ricepig on November 20, 2017, 02:15:42 pm
I figured an Aggie fan would want to see him kept around, but I guess we'll both be starting from scratch.

I'll never understand why we have "fans" who float from being hog fans to bama-ohio state-aggie-kentucky fans (I think the Bama fan got banned).  They'll talk about the Razorbacks like they are hog fans but then rep another team when the Hogs lose.  Weird.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Russ22

Quote from: factchecker on November 20, 2017, 02:21:20 pm
I'll never understand why we have "fans" who float from being hog fans to bama-ohio state-aggie-kentucky fans (I think the Bama fan got banned).  They'll talk about the Razorbacks like they are hog fans but then rep another team when the Hogs lose.  Weird.
No floating for me. I grew up here and live in Fayetteville. I got my doctorate at Texas A&M. I root for those two teams and anyone playing Texas.

Sivad

I like Bret.  I wish he could have been our coach a long time, but patience vanished and knives came out.  Very sad for him and his staff. 
Best wishes to him.
I liked him being the coach and face of the program. Really wish he could have won more as I'm sure he does. Godspeed to Bret and hope he lands in a good spot for him and his family.

PORKULATOR

Bless you and your family Coach B. I wish you had been more successful here. I pulled for you until Saturday. Good luck.
Woopigs

Now go beat the hell outta Mizzou.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Tusks

BB, ok guy, great drinker, below average football coach.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

bphi11ips

Quote from: hobhog on November 20, 2017, 02:09:23 pm
OP point missed by a mile.........too angry to let go.

Yep.  The point is that CBB shows up for work every day with a positive attitude and treats everyone from the girl who drives the recruiting golf cart to his bosses the same.  I don't care whether you flip burgers or run Wal Mart, that's the way to behave. 

I give Frank Broyles all the credit for building the Razorbacks.  I also saw him chew a teenaged seating hostess out to the point of tears one night when the poor girl told him she couldn't get him a table right away after a game.  The wait was 2 hours.  I never felt the same about Broyles after that.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

tolerati

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 20, 2017, 01:31:24 pm
He hasn't won, but he has represented us well. I wish him well at his next school or in his next venture, as the case may be. For him and for our players, especially our seniors, I hope we can pick up a win Friday.

I agree with this.  I wish he could have won more...but it is what it is.
"Show me a quarterback who isn't cocky, and I'll show you a quarterback who isn't worth a damn." - Darrell Royal

tolerati

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 20, 2017, 02:40:09 pm
Yep.  The point is that CBB shows up for work every day with a positive attitude and treats everyone from the girl who drives the recruiting golf cart to his bosses the same.  I don't care whether you flip burgers or run Wal Mart, that's the way to behave. 

I give Frank Broyles all the credit for building the Razorbacks.  I also saw him chew a teenaged seating hostess out to the point of tears one night when the poor girl told him she couldn't get him a table right away after a game.  The wait was 2 hours.  I never felt the same about Broyles after that.

Our heroes are not always the best human beings. Broyles deserves credit for all that he did for the Razorbacks but he was far from perfect.
"Show me a quarterback who isn't cocky, and I'll show you a quarterback who isn't worth a damn." - Darrell Royal

Silver Hog

dude is a multi millionaire now, stop feeling sorry for him.

007 License To Squeal

Best wishes to him.

Oh please.......He has made millions by under performing.......I'm not sad for him...I'm glad he won't be here next year......and I don't care where he goes, or what he does. 
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

hobhog

I think the point is you don't have to feel sorry for him, but don't have to be an ahole about it either.

MJ2

Sometimes both members of a marriage are good people but together it doesn't work and this one hasn't worked.

colbs

Quote from: hobhog on November 20, 2017, 03:02:44 pm
I think the point is you don't have to feel sorry for him, but don't have to be an ahole about it either.
This.  Plus I'm sure he's came to enjoy Arkansas and made some good friends.  The assistants have families too with kids in school. The coaches knew what they got into but probably never easy on their families.  We all agree it's time to move on but some people are jerks about it.

LRHawg

Quote from: IronMountainHog on November 20, 2017, 01:57:05 pm
He's the one who came in with the boisterous talk. Poking the bear (Saban), running his mouth about hurry up offenses, telling us he's gonna take us to where we've never been, talking crap at SEC media days. I have zero sympathy for this Charlie Weis knockoff. Be UNCOMMON and resign. You didn't deserve what you got paid, and you certainly do not deserve a buyout. You make more money per win than any coach in America.

seconded. Resign or all that #uncommon talk was just the B.S. we all knew it was.

Hogblog

Quote from: Wants2Win on November 20, 2017, 01:18:56 pm
Was a bad fit from day 1...maybe he'll find success in the future. Got paid.
^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

247Hog

I like the guy a lot. Think he could have won many more games if he had been focused on winning 100% each week. Past two seasons seem like he expected those around him to run it and he wouldn't have to do any hard work.

Hope he is successful in whatever he does in the future, unless its playing against the Hogs.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

Seebs

I met a nice guy once. I married his wife.

- unknown
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Tony Perkis

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 20, 2017, 01:31:24 pm
He hasn't won, but he has represented us well. I wish him well at his next school or in his next venture, as the case may be. For him and for our players, especially our seniors, I hope we can pick up a win Friday.
Very well said.

nwa_razorback_coffee

I like Bret.... patience vanished and knives came out

We were so close after 5 seasons. He needed only 20 more years. *sniffle*

EastexHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 20, 2017, 02:19:25 pm
Supplemented - not sustained.  What difference does it make with the amount of soft players coming out of Texas?  Hope you hire Morris and remain soft. 

I remember a few years ago when Shiloh Christian came down and found out how "soft" Texas high school football players are.  But hey, they did hold them to 80.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 20, 2017, 01:08:27 pm
A member of the Razorbacks support staff took a recruit and his mom to a meeting with CBB before the game this weekend.  When she picked them up to take them back to the football center, she said, "He is the nicest person you'd ever want to meet.  I've never seem him have a bad day, and I've never heard him say anything negative about anyone."

Regardless of what you think of his record as head coach, players and staff seem to all say similar things about CBB.  That's the way we should remember him.  Really good guy.  Didn't work out.

I agree with this sentiment. My only interaction with him has been through his football camp with my son. He inherited an actual dumpster fire from Petrino/Smith and he has represented us well. He deserved time to fix that and we gave it to him, but now it's time for a change. I felt the same way about Danny Ford. No need for all the animosity.

BoogaHog

Quote from: hawgon on November 20, 2017, 01:24:37 pm
"Bielema on his emotions: "I always used to talk to our players about how you've got to care enough to cry. People always want to take jabs at me when things aren't going well because Bielema is going to cry. I like people. I like our players. There's nothing wrong with that." Bielema stopped short because he voice was beginning to crack."

Very well said, Bret.  Very true.  Makes me wish he were here to stay.  Hopefully, we, me included, can send him out with a bit more class.  I believe he is a very, very good man and hope he and his family find much health, peace, and continued prosperity.  People made fun of Coach Hatfield, too; when he quoted "Jesus wept."  the jokes and carping should stop and it begins with me.

ricepig

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 20, 2017, 03:33:29 pm
I remember a few years ago when Shiloh Christian came down and found out how "soft" Texas high school football players are.  But hey, they did hold them to 80.

What about when PA came down and stopped HP's winning streak, do you remember that?

lawhawg20

I really like Bielema as a person and will root for him in his future endeavors.  There is no reason not to support a guy who gave his all for our team (even if it didn't work out).  As for the sad folks on here that insist on bashing him for no good reason, I weep for how pathetic their lives must be. 

Mike Irwin

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 20, 2017, 01:08:27 pm
A member of the Razorbacks support staff took a recruit and his mom to a meeting with CBB before the game this weekend.  When she picked them up to take them back to the football center, she said, "He is the nicest person you'd ever want to meet.  I've never seem him have a bad day, and I've never heard him say anything negative about anyone."

Regardless of what you think of his record as head coach, players and staff seem to all say similar things about CBB.  That's the way we should remember him.  Really good guy.  Didn't work out.
100% accurate. Today he held what most of us believe will be his last pregame press conference with us. He teared up several times. You could tell it was an emotional experience for him. After it was over one of the reporters stopped him to explain that there was nothing personal in the tough questions he'd been asking over the past few weeks.

Coach B stopped and visited with Nate Allen who was back at work after surgery. It was a nice moment.

I told a friend the other day that if Bret Bielema was your next door neighbor he'd be the kind of guy who would come over and help if he saw you trying to change a flat tire in your driveway. I've worked around some successful coaches who would probably pretend that they never saw you changing that tire.

My take on his failure at Arkansas is that he was too nice. Really good coaches are often bottom line bastards.

sowmonella

Quote from: tusked on November 20, 2017, 02:31:33 pm
BB, ok guy, great drinker, below average football coach.

I can't decide whose comments are the most pathetic examples of being a human being. It's either you or Hawgon. Both are an embarrassment to Hogville, Razorback Fans and this state.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

PorkRinds

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 20, 2017, 03:41:12 pm
100% accurate. Today he held what most of us believe will be his last pregame press conference with us. He teared up several times. You could tell it was an emotional experience for him. After it was over one of the reporters stopped him to explain that there was nothing personal in the tough questions he'd been asking over the past few weeks.

Coach B stopped and visited with Nate Allen who was back at work after surgery. It was a nice moment.

I told a friend the other day that if Bret Bielema was your next door neighbor he'd be the kind of guy who would come over and help if he saw you trying to change a flat tire in your driveway. I've worked around some successful coaches who would probably pretend that they never saw you changing that tire.

My take on his failure at Arkansas is that he was too nice. Really good coaches are often bottom line bastards.

Hard to disagree, mike.

Tony Perkis

Great take. Thanks for the insight.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Wildhog on November 20, 2017, 01:33:26 pm
I think he just needs to get a sweet gig in a booth for some network.  Much less stress, and gives him more time to spend with his family.
and i bet he'd be good at it.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

BallHog1

Quote from: sowmonella on November 20, 2017, 03:45:49 pm
I can't decide whose comments are the most pathetic examples of being a human being. It's either you or Hawgon. Both are an embarrassment to Hogville, Razorback Fans and this state.
I concur

EastexHawg

Quote from: ricepig on November 20, 2017, 03:37:12 pm
What about when PA came down and stopped HP's winning streak, do you remember that?

Yeah, that was a great win for the three time defending state champs.  Calling Texas high school football players soft is still silly.

nwa_razorback_coffee

This thread needs its own feminine product dispenser.

hawgon

Quote from: sowmonella on November 20, 2017, 03:45:49 pm

Waaah waaah waaah.  If you disagree with me, I most certainly am right.  Ask Tim Brewster how nice a guy Bielema is. 

ricepig

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 20, 2017, 03:53:31 pm
Yeah, that was a great win for the three time defending state champs.  Calling Texas high school football players soft is still silly.

PA wasn't the three time defending state champs in 2015.

EastexHawg

Really good coaches are often bottom line bastards.

"The Giants, led by Mel Ott, began to come out of their dugouts...I called off his players' names as they came marching up the steps behind him, "Walker, Cooper, Mize, Marshall, Kerr, Gordon, Thompson. Take a look at them. All nice guys. They'll finish last. Nice guys. Finish last...Give me some scratching, diving hungry ballplayers who came to kill you...That's the kind of guy I want playing for me."

Leo Durocher

hawgon

We're lionizing a guy as the nicest guy in the world who BY HIS OWN ADMISSION once told a coach of another team, "It's been nice kicking your asses the last four years."

Karma, indeed.

EastexHawg

Quote from: ricepig on November 20, 2017, 03:56:17 pm
PA wasn't the three time defending state champs in 2015.

Did I say they were?

I'm sure you have a point.

longpig

Nice won't Make Arkansas Great Again
Don't be scared, be smart.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 20, 2017, 03:50:51 pm
and i bet he'd be good at it.

Imagine a half drunk CBB as a color guy. He'd be awesome at it!

sowmonella

Quote from: hawgon on November 20, 2017, 03:55:23 pm
Waaah waaah waaah.  If you disagree with me, I most certainly am right.  Ask Tim Brewster how nice a guy Bielema is. 
Nothing to do if he's a nice guy or not. Your posts show a complete lack of class.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

hawgon

Quote from: sowmonella on November 20, 2017, 04:04:24 pm
Nothing to do if he's a nice guy or not. Your posts show a complete lack of class.

Okay, that's great.  I'm touched.

1highhog

I hope the best for Bielema and his family, after all, he does have a FAMILY, something we all have, and they had nothing to do with his downward spiral as coach here, it just didn't work out.  That being said, I hope he gets hired quickly, this will save the UofA a good chunk of change.

ricepig

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 20, 2017, 03:58:23 pm
Did I say they were?

I'm sure you have a point.

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 20, 2017, 03:53:31 pm

WilsonHog

Dan Enos talked for a bit today about how difficult something like this is for the family of a coach. He said that the coaches know what they signed up for, but it's unfair for the wives and children to have to be put through the ringer.