Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nicest Guy

Started by bphi11ips, November 20, 2017, 01:08:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogblog

Quote from: sowmonella on November 20, 2017, 04:04:24 pm
Nothing to do if he's a nice guy or not. Your posts show a complete lack of class.

Looks like a young Wally Hall.....

IronMountainHog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 20, 2017, 03:41:12 pm
100% accurate. Today he held what most of us believe will be his last pregame press conference with us. He teared up several times. You could tell it was an emotional experience for him. After it was over one of the reporters stopped him to explain that there was nothing personal in the tough questions he'd been asking over the past few weeks.

Coach B stopped and visited with Nate Allen who was back at work after surgery. It was a nice moment.

I told a friend the other day that if Bret Bielema was your next door neighbor he'd be the kind of guy who would come over and help if he saw you trying to change a flat tire in your driveway. I've worked around some successful coaches who would probably pretend that they never saw you changing that tire.

My take on his failure at Arkansas is that he was too nice. Really good coaches are often bottom line bastards.
We didn't hire him to change tires, he was hired to straighten out the program and win games. He sucked at that. But if you need help with Christmas lights, he's the guy.

nwa_razorback_coffee

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 20, 2017, 04:15:14 pm
Dan Enos talked for a bit today about how difficult something like this is for the family of a coach. He said that the coaches know what they signed up for, but it's unfair for the wives and children to have to be put through the ringer.

That's where my sympathy goes. Anyone who hitches himself to a coach who walks away with 8 figures should get some kind of golden parachute.

pumphog

Know a coach at Greenwood that is nice as hell, players love him and makes about a tenth of what BB makes and and can coach circles around this soon to be millionaire. P. S.  Got a pretty good winning percentage also.

Athog

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 20, 2017, 01:08:27 pm
A member of the Razorbacks support staff took a recruit and his mom to a meeting with CBB before the game this weekend.  When she picked them up to take them back to the football center, she said, "He is the nicest person you'd ever want to meet.  I've never seem him have a bad day, and I've never heard him say anything negative about anyone."

Regardless of what you think of his record as head coach, players and staff seem to all say similar things about CBB.  That's the way we should remember him.  Really good guy.  Didn't work out. 

I agree. The time has come for him to go but he still a good guy.

IronMountainHog

Wonder how many on here have ever met Bret? Seems like a bunch going by how many say that he's such a nice guy. Chris Berman, Kasey Kasem, and Bill O Reilly seem nice too. Pull up the videos of them on You Tube when they thought the microphone or cameras were off.

WilsonHog

I have never understood the proclivity of some Razorback fans to be an ass regardless of the situation.

jgphillips3

Now that Long is gone and we know Bielema is too, I wish him the best.  There are lots of really nice people in the world who are just awful at their job.  He is one.  I hope he goes on to do well somewhere else but he will never, ever win a big game or win a title unless he's in a weak conference or he has a "bad cop" to be his enforcer.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 20, 2017, 03:41:12 pm
100% accurate. Today he held what most of us believe will be his last pregame press conference with us. He teared up several times. You could tell it was an emotional experience for him. After it was over one of the reporters stopped him to explain that there was nothing personal in the tough questions he'd been asking over the past few weeks.

Coach B stopped and visited with Nate Allen who was back at work after surgery. It was a nice moment.

I told a friend the other day that if Bret Bielema was your next door neighbor he'd be the kind of guy who would come over and help if he saw you trying to change a flat tire in your driveway. I've worked around some successful coaches who would probably pretend that they never saw you changing that tire.

My take on his failure at Arkansas is that he was too nice. Really good coaches are often bottom line bastards.
Im glad the U of A, the RF, and other sources paid him $20 million over 5 years for the 11-29 effort. Worth every penny.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: IronMountainHog on November 20, 2017, 04:53:50 pm
Wonder how many on here have ever met Bret? Seems like a bunch going by how many say that he's such a nice guy. Chris Berman, Kasey Kasem, and Bill O Reilly seem nice too. Pull up the videos of them on You Tube when they thought the microphone or cameras were off.
I've never met the man , but I know at least some of the players love him. He's always seemed like a nice guy, maybe he's not, but he's leaving, I see no benefit to anyone in piling on him.

31to6

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 20, 2017, 01:47:03 pm
I'm convinced this is why so many defended him for so long absent of any legitimate evidence.  He's seemingly a genuinely nice guy.  I know I'd like to have a beer with him.
I defended him for 4 years. I felt there was progress and I knew that the rebuild was going to be hard--particularly given the completely different roster he needs.

Barring complete disaster, I just don't think it is really fair to write the verdict on a coach in any less time than that (even if you think things are starting to smell fishy).

But this was the put-up-or-shut-up year and he didn't just not progress, he collapsed--which made the collapses, halftime problems and head-scratching losses from years past not feel so much like issues that could be fixed and more like just how things would always be with him.

I will extend the next coach the same courtesy. Not that my opinion really matters to anyone but me.

Kevin

something changed.  mr Irwin, you said something early in cbb tenure, that he was suspending guys for things, that would not even be an issue at most programs. he is not that coach anymore, and that is when the program turned sour on him.

the first couple of years, before most games, a media guy would tweet out some player not dressed for the game. then after the game, cbb would say well he did something during the week. very few of those the last couple of years.

something changed, he changed it, and it now paying the price.

the one question I have, is way cannot he not keep assistants? this year partridge did not have a job, but we not rehired, cbb said timing was not right. let's see partridge did not have a job, and cbb had a d line coach opening, what was the problem?
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

longpig

Quote from: pumphog on November 20, 2017, 04:48:10 pm
Know a coach at Greenwood that is nice as hell, players love him and makes about a tenth of what BB makes and and can coach circles around this soon to be millionaire. P. S.  Got a pretty good winning percentage also.

Arkansas Ed pays extremely well or you're no Copernicus.
Don't be scared, be smart.

Davidr295

Did this really need its own thread? We get it, he is a nice guy. We have only had this talking point jammed down our throats for 5 years. I think we all understand he is a good guy.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Davidr295 on November 20, 2017, 06:37:52 pm
Did this really need its own thread? We get it, he is a nice guy. We have only had this talking point jammed down our throats for 5 years. I think we all understand he is a good guy.

The OP was intended to pass along a sincere comment from a low level employee who worked for Bret Bielema. That is all.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

menace_hawg3

Ole Bret seems like a pretty good dude...  Some of you guys take your message board personalities a little too serious... TBH, half of y'all need to be pimp slapped.

hawaiianhogster

I was all in with BB because he has that positive attitude and and never give up about him. He tried his best to do what he did in Wisconsin. Who knows how the team would be the next two years if he stayed. A young team someone else is going to get to use to make their first season here a success.

Getting fired happens when you get multi million dollar a year contract and you don't have winning seasons and big bowl games the past two years of a five year stint.

I bet BB will eventually go back to the big ten to be head coach for Iowa or Iowa State. Whichever was his Alma mater. Best of luck BB.

Justifiable Hogicide

Coach B didn't win enough.
But he treated Arkansas and our football program, it's players and fans with respect. He went out of his way to positively promote Arkansas at his every opportunity.
If we part ways, I wish him the best.

Quickdraw

I've never met Beliema. He seems like a nice guy and wants to do things the right way. Those are very good qualities to have. He wasn't successful as a whole due to some bad decisions he made. Hopefully he's learned what not to do and becomes very successful wherever he goes next.

Vantage 8 dude

A member of the Razorbacks support staff took a recruit and his mom to a meeting with CBB before the game this weekend.  When she picked them up to take them back to the football center, she said, "He is the nicest person you'd ever want to meet.  I've never seem him have a bad day, and I've never heard him say anything negative about anyone."

Regardless of what you think of his record as head coach, players and staff seem to all say similar things about CBB.  That's the way we should remember him.  Really good guy.  Didn't work out.
Never heard anyone who's met the man ever say anything but the nicest things about him. Yep, seems to really be able to engage and be upbeat. For that I think we can all acknowledge as a very positive aspect about the man. However, as a HC, for which he is being VERY well paid, unfortunately he fails miserably.

rusvegashog

Unless we're able to win the lottery and are able to land "that" coach. I think it's a mistake to move on from CBB.

RedRazorHog

I do agree as well.  I think Bret is a great guy, the kind of guy you could enjoying hanging out with for about anything.  I don't know anyone that has ever said anything otherwise...
"I've found that prayers work best when you have Big Players"

--Knute Rockne

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: rusvegashog on November 20, 2017, 08:50:47 pm
Unless we're able to win the lottery and are able to land "that" coach. I think it's a mistake to move on from CBB.
yeah, you are probably right. I can live with 11-29 in SEC over half a decade. Could be worse...could be 10-30!
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

STLhawg

Quote from: Seminole Indian on November 20, 2017, 01:23:44 pm
Very good coach
I think there is more than enough data from his time here to dispute that.

husker71

This was the reason Nebraska hired Mike Riley after Pellini.  That was a disaster to.

Jimbob111

I'll remember him as a crappy coach. I don't care if he's a nice guy and when I have brakes put on my car, I don't care if he's a nice guy either, I just want brakes...
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

hogginbama

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 20, 2017, 05:31:21 pm
I have never understood the proclivity of some Razorback fans to be an ass regardless of the situation.

It is like when they say CBB blames someone else for a downfall, they must find something to blame their miserable lives on.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

plumbhog

Quote from: Kevin on November 20, 2017, 06:30:48 pm
something changed.  mr Irwin, you said something early in cbb tenure, that he was suspending guys for things, that would not even be an issue at most programs. he is not that coach anymore, and that is when the program turned sour on him.

the first couple of years, before most games, a media guy would tweet out some player not dressed for the game. then after the game, cbb would say well he did something during the week. very few of those the last couple of years.

something changed, he changed it, and it now paying the price.

the one question I have, is way cannot he not keep assistants? this year partridge did not have a job, but we not rehired, cbb said timing was not right. let's see partridge did not have a job, and cbb had a d line coach opening, what was the problem?
I tend to agree with this. I'm sure he's a great guy and all but a lot about him has changed. I understand you have to have  rules and discipline but you can go overboard and take the fun out of the game.

Just like he seemed to play favorites with playing time I think he probably played favorites with his discipline as well.

The players that stood behind Nutt would run through a brick wall for him and were  treated well,  others not so much.

I think this also carried over to his assistants. Some just fit in and some didn't.

I never in his five years saw him get as fired up and involved on the sidelines like he has the last couple of games. It's just a shame he hasn't been that involved from the beginning.  It may have turned out different.

Wish nothing but the best for him and his family but it's time to move on.

bigdaddyhawg,<br />"Tyler wants to find the short receiver almost every single time.  He rarely even looks down the field. Folks, this IS a problem and it is going to continue to severely limit our pass game."<br /><br />Six days later, Tyler throws for a school record 510 yards against A&M

Inhogswetrust

Absolutely agree. That's why it's sad it hasn't worked out.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HF#1 on November 20, 2017, 01:12:20 pm
I have no issues with Bielema the human being. He's just not a good coach.

I guess Nick isn't a good coach then based on his tenure at MSU and Miami.....................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jst01 on November 20, 2017, 01:24:46 pm
He's like the 'fun uncle' that all the family and kids love to death, but just never got his stuff together and succeeded on his own.

That depends on how one defines success. As in the movie Wall Street the father says.................... "What you are looking at is a man that doesn't define success as the size of his wallet".

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: IronMountainHog on November 20, 2017, 01:27:57 pm
If he's so nice, resign and walk away instead of taking our money on an inflated buyout.

Nice people also take what is owed to them and simply say's "Thank You".

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hawgon on November 20, 2017, 01:32:45 pm
I don't loathe the guy, but he needs to shut up and move on.  Hard to have respect for someone who blathers so.  The press and the fans at large are not his psychoanalysts.  Someone really needs to sit him down and explain to him how lucky he is in life and how much he has already achieved. 

If failure stings so much now, then he should have paid more attention to detail.

So if it is all about attention to detail and being lucky and making a lot of money then I guess you are super rich and know even single detail about everything in  your life........I doubt either. Your type of statements show what kind of person you are when you kick someone while they are down.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Russ22 on November 20, 2017, 02:05:14 pm
He MAY be a nice guy. That is the persona of a salesman, and I believe he is more of a salesman than coach.

So salesmen can't be nice guys? Just because someone has the persona of a seaman at work doesn't mean they aren't a nice person.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: factchecker on November 20, 2017, 02:21:20 pm
I'll never understand why we have "fans" who float from being hog fans to bama-ohio state-aggie-kentucky fans (I think the Bama fan got banned).  They'll talk about the Razorbacks like they are hog fans but then rep another team when the Hogs lose.  Weird.

Not weird, downright crazy.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: hawgon on November 20, 2017, 01:11:35 pm
Well, he cried a lot at today's press conference, so there is that.
He his boys.
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

code red

11-28 he is very nice to opponents as well. 
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 20, 2017, 02:40:09 pm
Yep.  The point is that CBB shows up for work every day with a positive attitude and treats everyone from the girl who drives the recruiting golf cart to his bosses the same.  I don't care whether you flip burgers or run Wal Mart, that's the way to behave. 

I give Frank Broyles all the credit for building the Razorbacks.  I also saw him chew a teenaged seating hostess out to the point of tears one night when the poor girl told him she couldn't get him a table right away after a game.  The wait was 2 hours.  I never felt the same about Broyles after that.

Broyles once asked my best friend if he could play through on a golf course. When my friend replied " sorry but there is a group ahead of us". He responded with  "Do you know who I am?" Friend said "Yes but that doesn't make you more important on this golf course. My dad has had season tickets on the 40 and donates a lot every since you first got here. " Frank shut up and didn't play through.

Frank was an enigma. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: tolerati on November 20, 2017, 02:51:01 pm
  Our heroes are not always the best human beings. Broyles deserves credit for all that he did for the Razorbacks but he was far from perfect.

People use the word hero way too much nowadays.

3kgthog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 20, 2017, 02:12:39 pm
Bret was right about the Texas high school female style of football coaches.

You mean the ones that churn out players that go to places like A&M and then own Bielema's Hogs for half a decade? Those female style coaches?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hawgon on November 20, 2017, 03:58:00 pm
We're lionizing a guy as the nicest guy in the world who BY HIS OWN ADMISSION once told a coach of another team, "It's been nice kicking your asses the last four years."

Karma, indeed.

Context.......You might need to learn a little about it.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 20, 2017, 05:54:21 pm
Im glad the U of A, the RF, and other sources paid him $20 million over 5 years for the 11-29 effort. Worth every penny.

The coaches wanted to win, the players wanted to win, They invested more than you do in the program and it doesn't matter how much you "invested" money wise. THEY invested a lot more than money.

IronMountainHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 21, 2017, 06:17:41 am
Nice people also take what is owed to them and simply say's "Thank You".
But UNCOMMON people, would say I do not deserve the millions in a buyout. I did not produce the results I promised even on the $4 million salary I was paid. I also said that you wouldn't have to fire me if it didn't work out, I would walk away. Resign and walk away Mr. Uncommon.

ricepig

Quote from: IronMountainHog on November 21, 2017, 06:56:56 am
But UNCOMMON people, would say I do not deserve the millions in a buyout. I did not produce the results I promised even on the $4 million salary I was paid. I also said that you wouldn't have to fire me if it didn't work out, I would walk away. Resign and walk away Mr. Uncommon.
Maybe an Uncommon man would think he still has 3 year left on that contract to produce those results.....

Sundog

Quote from: Russ22 on November 20, 2017, 02:05:14 pm
He MAY be a nice guy. That is the persona of a salesman, and I believe he is more of a salesman than coach. The media, both locally and nationally, has banged this drum because he is a guy that can be goaded into giving a great quote to use as click bait.

I don't happen to like him personally. There were too many examples of him running his mouth with nothing to back it up. When someone responds to his comments, he claims that he doesn't understand why someone would take it personally - See the dust-up with Kliff Kingsbury and the whole Texas high school coaches fiasco.

I also don't like the fact that he seems to eager to find someone else to accept the responsibility for mistakes. It is never his fault, and I don't like people that can't admit that they are wrong or at fault.

Anyway, I don't wish him ill, but I am glad that he will be working elsewhere soon.

Correct-a-mundo!!   Just a small but accurate sample size of the reality of the Bert "experiment".

IronMountainHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 21, 2017, 06:05:09 am
I guess Nick isn't a good coach then based on his tenure at MSU and Miami.....................
You mean his gig at MSU where he took over a 5-6 team and in 4 years had a 10-2 team and also beat #1 Ohio State on the road? Funny how you skipped over his LSU stint which included a National Title. Selective facts?

IronMountainHog

Quote from: ricepig on November 21, 2017, 06:59:01 am
Maybe an Uncommon man would think he still has 3 year left on that contract to produce those results.....
Not Uncommon. Unrealistic, Uneducated and soon to be Unemployed.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: IronMountainHog on November 21, 2017, 06:56:56 am

IF YOU had it in YOUR contract for employment to get a buyout I'd bet you would take it deserved or not.

hawgon

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 21, 2017, 06:21:44 am
So if it is all about attention to detail and being lucky and making a lot of money then I guess you are super rich and know even single detail about everything in  your life........I doubt either. Your type of statements show what kind of person you are when you kick someone while they are down.

I'm not kicking him while he is down.  I'm giving him a pep talk.  Some are too stupid to realize it.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: IronMountainHog on November 21, 2017, 07:04:08 am
You mean his gig at MSU where he took over a 5-6 team and in 4 years had a 10-2 team and also beat #1 Ohio State on the road? Funny how you skipped over his LSU stint which included a National Title. Selective facts?

No more selective than those willing to skip other coaches facts. FACT. Bret had a better Big Ten record than Nick. Different places and times can mean different results. WHEN someone is getting fired then they should be fired in a professional and humble way without any animosity and low class unless they were low class themselves. Bret has not been spoken of that way by some on here that care nothing about someone as a human being. Sad for Arkansas's fan base they have fans like that but all teams do.