Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nicest Guy

Started by bphi11ips, November 20, 2017, 01:08:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bphi11ips

A member of the Razorbacks support staff took a recruit and his mom to a meeting with CBB before the game this weekend.  When she picked them up to take them back to the football center, she said, "He is the nicest person you'd ever want to meet.  I've never seem him have a bad day, and I've never heard him say anything negative about anyone."

Regardless of what you think of his record as head coach, players and staff seem to all say similar things about CBB.  That's the way we should remember him.  Really good guy.  Didn't work out. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Wildhog

Agreed.  There's really no need for animosity.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

NuttinItUp

Very true.

Stan Heath was a super nice guy as well. Just didn't work out.

hawgon

Well, he cried a lot at today's press conference, so there is that.

HF#1

I have no issues with Bielema the human being. He's just not a good coach.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: HF#1 on November 20, 2017, 01:12:20 pm
And I don't know that this is true, either.  It didn't work here.  For whatever reason. 

Danimal

Agreed. I wish he and his family nothing but the best moving forward.

a0ashle

Quote from: HF#1 on November 20, 2017, 01:12:20 pm

It didn't work here is as far as I'll go. I bet he still finds success as a HC.

Dropkick

Obviously it hasn't worked out for BB here but I wish him the best going forward. Just wasn't a good fit.

The Hawg Marshal

Yeah I've never understood the hatred some have for Bret. Nice guy in the wrong place at the wrong time. But I hope the best for he and his family.

Wants2Win

Was a bad fit from day 1...maybe he'll find success in the future. Got paid.

PorkRinds

Decent dude. Decent coach. Decent coaches don't make it here.

PorkRinds

Quote from: hawgon on November 20, 2017, 01:11:35 pm
Well, he cried a lot at today's press conference, so there is that.

Did he?

hawgon

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 20, 2017, 01:20:38 pm
Did he?

A bunch.  And then he gave a little spiel about caring enough to cry and telling the kids about that.

Well, I mean he wasn't bawling or anything but it was the typical Bielema sniffles.

gmarv

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 20, 2017, 01:16:56 pm
Yeah I've never understood the hatred some have for Bret. Nice guy in the wrong place at the wrong time. But I hope the best for he and his family.
Yeah me neither, he does seem like a really good guy.Want nothing but the best for him.

PorkRinds

Quote from: hawgon on November 20, 2017, 01:22:04 pm
A bunch.  And then he gave a little spiel about caring enough to cry and telling the kids about that.

Ugh. It's getting down and dirty now.  That's terrible.

FutureMan

I will remember him fondly.  He had a lot of great qualities.  I wish it would have worked out, but it didn't.  It happens.  Best of luck to him and his family.
"Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit."
- E.E. Cummings

Seminole Indian

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 20, 2017, 01:20:13 pm
Decent dude. Decent coach. Decent coaches don't make it here.
Very good coach, great person--you will be hard put to find anyone that does not like him, and because both are true he will leave your program loaded with quality players, who are also quality people.

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

hawgon

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 20, 2017, 01:22:51 pm
Ugh. It's getting down and dirty now.  That's terrible.

"Bielema on his emotions: "I always used to talk to our players about how you've got to care enough to cry. People always want to take jabs at me when things aren't going well because Bielema is going to cry. I like people. I like our players. There's nothing wrong with that." Bielema stopped short because he voice was beginning to crack."

jst01

He's like the 'fun uncle' that all the family and kids love to death, but just never got his stuff together and succeeded on his own.

PorkRinds

Quote from: hawgon on November 20, 2017, 01:24:37 pm
"Bielema on his emotions: "I always used to talk to our players about how you've got to care enough to cry. People always want to take jabs at me when things aren't going well because Bielema is going to cry. I like people. I like our players. There's nothing wrong with that." Bielema stopped short because he voice was beginning to crack."

Man. I know you loathe the guy but I can't help but feel sorry for him. It's gotta be the biggest failure of his life to this point. 

IronMountainHog

If he's so nice, resign and walk away instead of taking our money on an inflated buyout.

Wildhog

Quote from: IronMountainHog on November 20, 2017, 01:27:57 pm
If he's so nice, resign and walk away instead of taking our money on an inflated buyout.

That's what he's owed.  Blame that on Long.
1909/1964/1965/1977

davehog

I really, really wanted it to work out for CBB here.  I had hoped he would be a decade + type of coach for the Razorbacks. 

In fact, I believed in the "system" of development, ball control/time of possession offense, recruiting of uncommon men, etc.  He had some recruiting missteps early but figured those out. 

I still don't get when/where/why/who exactly where it went so wrong during his tenure here.  I go back to Pittman leaving / hiring of KA being the downfall but there were some signs prior to that.  I think most of us chose to ignore those signs - I know I did. 

WilsonHog

He hasn't won, but he has represented us well. I wish him well at his next school or in his next venture, as the case may be. For him and for our players, especially our seniors, I hope we can pick up a win Friday.

HognotinMemphis

I guess it is really true: nice guys finish last.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

dh027

Quote from: jst01 on November 20, 2017, 01:24:46 pm
He's like the 'fun uncle' that all the family and kids love to death, but just never got his stuff together and succeeded on his own.

So what you're saying is that he is the Uncle Buck of college football coaches?

PintailKiller

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 20, 2017, 01:08:27 pm
A member of the Razorbacks support staff took a recruit and his mom to a meeting with CBB before the game this weekend.  When she picked them up to take them back to the football center, she said, "He is the nicest person you'd ever want to meet.  I've never seem him have a bad day, and I've never heard him say anything negative about anyone."

Regardless of what you think of his record as head coach, players and staff seem to all say similar things about CBB.  That's the way we should remember him.  Really good guy.  Didn't work out. 
I don't disagree here.  I've heard the same thing.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

hawgon

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 20, 2017, 01:26:24 pm
Man. I know you loathe the guy but I can't help but feel sorry for him. It's gotta be the biggest failure of his life to this point.

I don't loathe the guy, but he needs to shut up and move on.  Hard to have respect for someone who blathers so.  The press and the fans at large are not his psychoanalysts.  Someone really needs to sit him down and explain to him how lucky he is in life and how much he has already achieved. 

If failure stings so much now, then he should have paid more attention to detail.

Wildhog

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 20, 2017, 01:31:24 pm
He hasn't won, but he has represented us well. I wish him well at his next school or in his next venture, as the case may be.

I think he just needs to get a sweet gig in a booth for some network.  Much less stress, and gives him more time to spend with his family. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: hawgon on November 20, 2017, 01:32:45 pm
I don’t loathe the guy, but he needs to shut up and move on.  Hard to have respect for someone who blathers so.  The press and the fans at large are not his psychoanalysts.  Someone really needs to sit him down and explain to him how lucky he is in life and how much he has already achieved. 

If failure stings so much now, then he should have paid more attention to detail.

The dude's going to move on in like five days.  I want him gone at LEAST as much as you, but there's really no point in piling on now.

Time to move on to the coaching search.
1909/1964/1965/1977

hawgon

Quote from: Wildhog on November 20, 2017, 01:34:48 pm
The dude's going to move on in like five days.  I want him gone at LEAST as much as you, but there's really no point in piling on now.

Time to move on to the coaching search.

If he doesn't want people piling on, then quit blathering like a woman.  Well, actually most women are a lot more mentally tough than he is.

Wildhog

Quote from: hawgon on November 20, 2017, 01:39:49 pm
If he doesn't want people piling on, then quit blathering like a woman.  Well, actually most women are a lot more mentally tough than he is.

Meh.  Dude's gone. 

Now I want Scott Frost.  Need Nebraska to frick that up.
1909/1964/1965/1977

jnhogs

Quote from: Wildhog on November 20, 2017, 01:33:26 pm
I think he just needs to get a sweet gig in a booth for some network.  Much less stress, and gives him more time to spend with his family.

Agree... he has a great personality for a job in the booth

sickboy

I mean, c'mon. The guy made it to being a head football coach in the SEC West. That's success to me. Yeah, he's not Nick Saban. But I'd say most people here haven't had that kind of success. Hell, I'd call it a success if someone here made it as high school coach, let alone a college football coach, let alone a college football coach in the SEC West.

moses_007

Nice guys often finish last, which was the case with Bielema.  You can't help but like him personally, but he was entirely too soft with his players.  He wanted to be their best buddy, and you can't win doing that.

Look at Petrino and Saban.  When a player goofs up, those coaches are right in the player's face bitching them out.  I never saw Bielema do that one time.  A coach has to be the boss, not the players' best buddy....

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 20, 2017, 01:08:27 pm

I'm convinced this is why so many defended him for so long absent of any legitimate evidence.  He's seemingly a genuinely nice guy.  I know I'd like to have a beer with him.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

HoggyCat

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 20, 2017, 01:13:27 pm
And I don't know that this is true, either.  It didn't work here.  For whatever reason.

Because Alvarez want here to guide him along.

If you don't believe it, rewind Alvarez' speech at the NWA TD Club.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

hawgon

Quote from: sickboy on November 20, 2017, 01:45:23 pm
I mean, c'mon. The guy made it to being a head football coach in the SEC West. That's success to me. Yeah, he's not Nick Saban. But I'd say most people here haven't had that kind of success. Hell, I'd call it a success if someone here made it as high school coach, let alone a college football coach, let alone a college football coach in the SEC West.

That's what I'm saying.  He is well off to wealthy if he never works another day and he has been an SEC head coach. He has done well.

212hawg

Quote from: hawgon on November 20, 2017, 01:22:04 pm

Well, I mean he wasn't bawling or anything but it was the typical Bielema sniffles.

It's probably difficult for him.  This is the first time he's really failed as a head coach.  It's probably got him stressed out.  If nothing else, maybe we can all put the "he doesn't care about winning," thing to rest.

IronMountainHog

He's the one who came in with the boisterous talk. Poking the bear (Saban), running his mouth about hurry up offenses, telling us he's gonna take us to where we've never been, talking crap at SEC media days. I have zero sympathy for this Charlie Weis knockoff. Be UNCOMMON and resign. You didn't deserve what you got paid, and you certainly do not deserve a buyout. You make more money per win than any coach in America.

PORKULATOR

Quote from: Wildhog on November 20, 2017, 01:09:07 pm
Agreed.  There's really no need for animosity.
I've said for years that HV members shouldn't be personally attacking him because of coaching.  I think there are several guys on here that aren't intelligent enough to differentiate the person and the coach.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Pig Worshipper

Yes, he's college football's "Uncle Buck".

I think the guy is great in so many ways - wish it would have worked out for him here, but life's not always fair. Good luck to them all!

Russ22

Quote from: moses_007 on November 20, 2017, 01:46:48 pm
Nice guys often finish last, which was the case with Bielema.  You can't help but like him personally, but he was entirely too soft with his players.  He wanted to be their best buddy, and you can't win doing that.

Look at Petrino and Saban.  When a player goofs up, those coaches are right in the player's face bitching them out.  I never saw Bielema do that one time.  A coach has to be the boss, not the players' best buddy....
He MAY be a nice guy. That is the persona of a salesman, and I believe he is more of a salesman than coach. The media, both locally and nationally, has banged this drum because he is a guy that can be goaded into giving a great quote to use as click bait.

I don't happen to like him personally. There were too many examples of him running his mouth with nothing to back it up. When someone responds to his comments, he claims that he doesn't understand why someone would take it personally - See the dust-up with Kliff Kingsbury and the whole Texas high school coaches fiasco.

I also don't like the fact that he seems to eager to find someone else to accept the responsibility for mistakes. It is never his fault, and I don't like people that can't admit that they are wrong or at fault.

Anyway, I don't wish him ill, but I am glad that he will be working elsewhere soon.
For the latest Arkansas High School 7-on-7 football news:

http://7on7football.blogspot.com/

scottwillrazbackfan1

Quote from: IronMountainHog on November 20, 2017, 01:57:05 pm
He's the one who came in with the boisterous talk. Poking the bear (Saban), running his mouth about hurry up offenses, telling us he's gonna take us to where we've never been, talking crap at SEC media days. I have zero sympathy for this Charlie Weis knockoff. Be UNCOMMON and resign. You didn't deserve what you got paid, and you certainly do not deserve a buyout. You make more money per win than any coach in America.

Thats it in a nutshell!!

Just coach football and win games.

212hawg

Quote from: davehog on November 20, 2017, 01:30:29 pm
I really, really wanted it to work out for CBB here.  I had hoped he would be a decade + type of coach for the Razorbacks. 

In fact, I believed in the "system" of development, ball control/time of possession offense, recruiting of uncommon men, etc.  He had some recruiting missteps early but figured those out. 

I still don't get when/where/why/who exactly where it went so wrong during his tenure here.  I go back to Pittman leaving / hiring of KA being the downfall but there were some signs prior to that.  I think most of us chose to ignore those signs - I know I did.

I agree with you 100%, Dave.  Losing Pittman hurt big time.  I think the second thing that killed him was the way last season ended.  If he had gotten to 9 wins with that team, it might have bought him some goodwill for this year.  On paper, there are plenty of reasons why this season was a struggle (ton of injuries to key guys and lots of youth in other spots), but he was already in a deficit because of how last season ended.  If he had held on and won those going away like the first half indicated, I think he could have made it through this season.

hobhog

Quote from: IronMountainHog on November 20, 2017, 01:57:05 pm

OP point missed by a mile.........too angry to let go.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Russ22 on November 20, 2017, 02:05:14 pm
He MAY be a nice guy. That is the persona of a salesman, and I believe he is more of a salesman than coach. The media, both locally and nationally, has banged this drum because he is a guy that can be goaded into giving a great quote to use as click bait.

I don't happen to like him personally. There were too many examples of him running his mouth with nothing to back it up. When someone responds to his comments, he claims that he doesn't understand why someone would take it personally - See the dust-up with Kliff Kingsbury and the whole Texas high school coaches fiasco.

I also don't like the fact that he seems to eager to find someone else to accept the responsibility for mistakes. It is never his fault, and I don't like people that can't admit that they are wrong or at fault.

Anyway, I don't wish him ill, but I am glad that he will be working elsewhere soon.

Bret was right about the Texas high school female style of football coaches. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Dominicanhog

I think the 2 schools should work out a swap for Kiffin and CBB..  everybody would be happy and the 2 schools should be able to share in a small savings...

ricepig

Quote from: Russ22 on November 20, 2017, 02:05:14 pm

I figured an Aggie fan would want to see him kept around, but I guess we'll both be starting from scratch.