Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I don't think firing Long was the wrong move, but....

Started by Tusks, November 20, 2017, 12:44:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tusks

not having someone ready to step in is a monumental mistake.

Grant Hall saying that Scanlon isn't going to be the next AD.

This isn't rocket science.  Both JL and BB need to be punted and everyone has known for a while.  The phone should have been burning up and you have everything in place BEFORE you make a move.

Arkansas going to Arkansas I guess.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

tolerati

If it's not Scanlon, what about Scott Varady? As some have suggested.
"Show me a quarterback who isn't cocky, and I'll show you a quarterback who isn't worth a damn." - Darrell Royal

a0ashle

It reeks more of spontaneity then some master 13th dimensional chess, but who really knows.

HawgPound

Seebs

I believe Long has until the 30th to be fully gone. Has there ever been overlap?  I don't know.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

emdavenp

Quote from: Seebs on November 20, 2017, 01:03:32 pm
I believe Long has until the 30th to be fully gone. Has there ever been overlap?  I don't know.

Which makes me ask - is there allowed to be an overlap?

HF#1

I think the wait and see approach is needed before we can draw the conclusion that nobody was "lined up" to take the job. All due respect to Grant but I think he is wrong on this one.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

idochog

IF Gus was truly the target, we had to get rid of Long
I love Jesus!

jcbville

Tusks

Grant is saying he was told by what I thought he called 'a confirmed source' that Scanlon is NOT going to be the next AD.

The optics for this are terrible.  They should have had someone ready to go and then Stienz just say 'im looking for a replacement' while waiting on whatever to have the next AD in line.  Whatever being a certain time frame or something other than a committee to be formed.  AYSM a committee.  There's a difference between a named committee and a few inner circle people making a committee like decision. 

This just reeks of a mess.  For the sake of all that's razorback, have your ducks in a row.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

31to6

He was terminated effective immediately. The 30th was his deadline to return U property, documents, etc.

OtterHog

WilsonHog

There is a justifiable reason for waiting to announce, even if the new AD is known.

PorkRinds

I agree. The GOBN has proven themselves ineffective at best. Everyone was so stoked about them out maneuvering long but didn't stop to think how inept they've been in the past.

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

007 License To Squeal

He was fired effective immediately.....
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

PorkSoda

we have an interim AD, and its quite possible the next candidate isn't ready to drop what they are doing at a moments notice.

if they are a good candidate, then they likely have important things they need to put in order before they can accept a new position.

lets see how this plays out and save the freak outs for at least a week or two.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

jm

I wish they could have waited and allowed him to "get an offer" from another school but sometimes that just can't happen

moses_007

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 20, 2017, 02:36:39 pm
There is a justifiable reason for waiting to announce, even if the new AD is known.
They are hiring a skinny guy and waiting for Thanksgiving to be over, hoping the new AD will eat enough to be able to keep his pants up.

jneal56

Wasting your time, as I'm sure you already know, trying to explain things to a lot of these people. We ALL believe we can do a better job than who is there even though we're completely wrong. It doesn't matter if one is in place and not being named or if we don't have one at all. The funny part is, the smart guys here on Hogville think they know it all and if it hasn't been told to them, then it must be a mess!
"At least we are moral"

Razorbackers

Quote from: a0ashle on November 20, 2017, 01:00:58 pm
It reeks more of spontaneity then some master 13th dimensional chess, but who really knows.

You don't think signing an AD to a massive contract extension only to fire him less than 2 years later wasn't a smokescreen to hide their genius?

MJ2

Quote from: tusked on November 20, 2017, 12:44:57 pm

This isn't rocket science.  Both JL and BB need to be punted and everyone has known for a while.  The phone should have been burning up and you have everything in place BEFORE you make a move.

Sometimes you have to fire someone w/o having an immediate replacement and in this case it was necessary.

HoggyCat

Quote from: jneal56 on November 20, 2017, 02:49:12 pm
Wasting your time, as I'm sure you already know, trying to explain things to a lot of these people. We ALL believe we can do a better job than who is there even though we're completely wrong. It doesn't matter if one is in place and not being named or if we don't have one at all. The funny part is, the smart guys here on Hogville think they know it all and if it hasn't been told to them, then it must be a mess!

Beat me to the punch!!

+1 if I could.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

hoglady

There's no reason to believe that the next AD won't be a good hire.
Just have to wait and see how all this plays out.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Seebs

Quote from: 31to6 on November 20, 2017, 02:30:17 pm
He was terminated effective immediately. The 30th was his deadline to return U property, documents, etc.
Oh I understand terminations. Its just that I do not allow those I terminate access until November 30th.  So is Jeff showing the AD where everything is before he leaves? I mean we are paying him $86K a month until 2022, so I am unclear on why he has until Nov 30 to clean out his desk and turn in his cellphone.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Mike Irwin

There is all kinds of stuff being said. Grant just passed along one of them. I have also heard it won't be Scanlon and I've heard that he's already accepted the job. That's the way this works.

Seebs

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 20, 2017, 10:33:11 pm
There is all kinds of stuff being said. Grant just passed along one of them. I have also heard it won't be Scanlon and I've heard that he's already accepted the job. That's the way this works.

Get some sleep Mike. You ain't no spring chicken

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hoglady on November 20, 2017, 10:04:41 pm
There's no reason to believe that the next AD won't be a good hire.
Just have to wait and see how all this plays out.

Curious though...If the UA  hires a HFC immediately, without an AD in place, aren't you then in effect limiting your AD pool to those who feel comfortable that the HC you HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH HIRING, is now going to go a long way toward determining your fate?  Or...that it is someone you can work well with?  Doesn't that at least have the potential to limit the candidates a little? 

Plus...lets not lose sight of the obvious.  I mean, if he doesn't hire the HC, doesn't that basically leave two burning questions? 

1.  If he didn't hire him, can he fire him?

2.  How in the heck will Hogville be able to run the AD down ad naseum for how the football coach is doing if he's sucking it up? 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

VirginiaHog

But if the AD is known they wouldn't be putting together a committee and hoping for a hire by 1-1-18.

mckinneyhog5

The BOT needs to be fired..people in their position thinks everything they do is right. DON'T EVER QUESTION THE ALMIGHTY BOT!
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

31to6

Quote from: Seebs on November 20, 2017, 10:26:52 pm
I am unclear on why he has until Nov 30 to clean out his desk and turn in his cellphone.
Courtesy?

Pork Twain

New to college sports?

In my lifetime I have rarely seen ANY program have someone lined up when a guy was fired.  Look no further than all the coaches this year, for the most recent examples.  Enough with the, well Arkansas... crap.  This is just how it is done the majority of the time at all places.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

radar

They don't want the new AD in place until all business with BB is completed.

HogBreath

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 20, 2017, 11:25:41 pm
New to college sports?

In my lifetime I have rarely seen ANY program have someone lined up when a guy was fired.  Look no further than all the coaches this year, for the most recent examples.  Enough with the, well Arkansas... crap.  This is just how it is done the majority of the time at all places.
Exactly, it always cracks me up when the resident Chicken Littles carry on like these issues are an Arkansas exclusive.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

hawgon

Relax.  The AD is largely an irrelevant job unless you have a bad one.  It won't matter with regard to our football coach and I wouldn't be surprised if we don't have an AD for some months yet.

I know it is hard for us at Arkansas to understand because we had Frank Broyles for so long and then Long turned out to be a glory hound, but the AD is not supposed to be the face of your program.  He/she is an administrator who works mostly behind the scenes.  We don't need segments on the radio kissing the AD's butt before every football game and so on and so forth.

We just need a competent administrator who keeps things running smoothly while trying not to piss off half the boosters.  At least, a guy like that wouldn't be a bad change of pace for the next five years or so. 

swineology

GOBN in full go mode minus Frank=Fail

lakecityhog

I seem to remember a team southeast of us going to visit a coach that was still employed while their current coach was still employed, don't think that worked out too well for them!

I would HOPE that the University is looking at a person that is fairly busy right now and unable/unwilling to just drop everything at a moment's notice. Not sure I would want a guy that is sitting in his Mom's basement banging out stupid posts on Hogville with nothing else to do.

My guess is that our BOT is comprised of at least moderately successful businessmen, maybe not very good at message board chatter, but still successful. I think that I might trust their judgment for a few more days.

rhames

Probably best to let Bielema go then announce new AD.

Why make the new guy swing the axe?
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

The OTR

Quote from: lakecityhog on November 21, 2017, 06:44:24 am
I seem to remember a team southeast of us going to visit a coach that was still employed while their current coach was still employed, don't think that worked out too well for them!

I would HOPE that the University is looking at a person that is fairly busy right now and unable/unwilling to just drop everything at a moment's notice. Not sure I would want a guy that is sitting in his Mom's basement banging out stupid posts on Hogville with nothing else to do.

My guess is that our BOT is comprised of at least moderately successful businessmen, maybe not very good at message board chatter, but still successful. I think that I might trust their judgment for a few more days.

Are you saying someone on hogville is a candidate?

Yes I agree we should trust their judgement.  We wouldn't be in the position we are in now without their good judgement so I expect more of the same good judgement over the coming weeks.

Some of these guys just don't get it.  Those of us with knowledge know we're headed in the right direction.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: hawgon on November 21, 2017, 06:15:30 am
Relax.  The AD is largely an irrelevant job unless you have a bad one.  It won't matter with regard to our football coach and I wouldn't be surprised if we don't have an AD for some months yet.

I know it is hard for us at Arkansas to understand because we had Frank Broyles for so long and then Long turned out to be a glory hound, but the AD is not supposed to be the face of your program.  He/she is an administrator who works mostly behind the scenes.  We don't need segments on the radio kissing the AD's butt before every football game and so on and so forth.

We just need a competent administrator who keeps things running smoothly while trying not to piss off half the boosters.  At least, a guy like that wouldn't be a bad change of pace for the next five years or so.

Th AD whoever it is, is basically the CFO/CEO of a 100 million dollar a year company.  I don't think you'll find anyone legitimately working in or reporting on SEC or major college athletics  who would agree with this.

hawgon

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 21, 2017, 09:16:07 am

Th AD whoever it is, is basically the CFO/CEO of a 100 million dollar a year company.  I don't think you'll find anyone legitimately working in or reporting on SEC or major college athletics  who would agree with this.

We already have a CFO.  His name is Clay Hamilton.  We have a 100 million dollar company with basically one source of revenue, the football program.  Take care of that and it really doesn't matter what an AD does.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 20, 2017, 11:25:41 pm
New to college sports?

Yes coaches get fired all the time and they don't have any one ready to step in, AD's get fired from time to time as well, not as often as coaches but they do get the ax.  The issue that I have is that the timing makes no sense and was terrible for Arkansas.  Jeff long was fired ostensibly because the football program was not performing.  That has been true since at least the Missouri game last year if not before. If they knew, as people are asserting, that Jeff Long was going to be fired then why wait?  Why wait until almost the end of the season where you are purportedly going to be hiring a new coach and fire the AD with only two weeks left in the season?  If they knew they were going to fire Long because of the football programs performance they could have started making inquiries about AD's a month ago or two months ago. In my opinion they fired Long at almost the worst possible time and did so without a plan to move forward.  I say that because I don't believe that there are these massive undisclosed plans happening behind closed doors that no one knows about and that they are going to surprise us with a 4:00 press conference in two days to tell us who the new AD is.  It's going to be sometime in January most likely, and there is going to be plenty of advanced notice.  I doubt when it happens that it will come as a massive surprise.     

jjdlc

The only thing I will say about is, they said they'll have an AD in place by Jan 1.  If they are planning to take that long, and then let the new AD help with hiring the new coach, then we are truely in trouble. 

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: hawgon on November 21, 2017, 09:20:21 am
We already have a CFO.  His name is Clay Hamilton.  We have a 100 million dollar company with basically one source of revenue, the football program.  Take care of that and it really doesn't matter what an AD does.

Yes but who is Clay Hamilton's boss the one in charge of all of that is the AD. It is a gross oversimplification to think that any warm body can be plugged in to run the Athletic Department which is basically a company with 124 million in revenue. 

hawgon

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 21, 2017, 09:45:10 am

Yes but who is Clay Hamilton's boss the one in charge of all of that is the AD. It is a gross oversimplification to think that any warm body can be plugged in to run the Athletic Department which is basically a company with 124 million in revenue.

There are tons of people who can do it and do it well.

Grumpypenguin

Well it makes sense if they really want Gus Malzahn and, if reports are true, want him to have a hand in picking the next AD

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: hawgon on November 21, 2017, 09:46:32 am
There are tons of people who can do it and do it well.

I hope you are right, but I don't think that you are.  I can't imagine that there are tons of people with the specific knowledge of how to run a major college athletics program, but if you are right then we don't have any thing to worry about.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: Grumpypenguin on November 21, 2017, 09:47:03 am
Well it makes sense if they really want Gus Malzahn and, if reports are true, want him to have a hand in picking the next AD

Letting the head coach have a hand in picking the AD is a recipe for disaster in my opinion.  The AD is not the AD of the football program, but of the entire university athletics programs.