Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What does " Understands Arkansas" & " gets the south "

Started by hogsanity, November 20, 2017, 09:17:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

mean. I keep seeing that any new coach or AD has to do those two things. What does that mean exactly.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hawgon

It means, that unlike you, they value our past accomplishments and traditions and don't do all they can to dsicount them and belittle them 24/7.

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: hogsanity on November 20, 2017, 09:17:21 am
mean. I keep seeing that any new coach or AD has to do those two things. What does that mean exactly.

It means many Southerners biased and bigoted, and that they will hate on people that aren't from around here. BB and Long were hated even before they failed to accomplish what fans wanted.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

NaturalStateReb

I think it means understand the football culture of Arkansas and can recruit effectively in Southern living rooms, especially those along the I-30 corridor.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

SPAL

Have you been to any sporting event in the last several years? There just seems to be a different feel to it. Feels like it's corporate. I don't know how to explain it, but it doesn't seem authentic.

For me, it means understanding the culture that is the razorbacks. Understanding that we are a passionate fanbase, even if the hillbillies take it too far.  Understand that being the 3rd best team in the state is unacceptable and should never happen .

jgphillips3

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on November 20, 2017, 09:21:13 am
It means many Southerners biased and bigoted, and that they will hate on people that aren't from around here. BB and Long were hated even before they failed to accomplish what fans wanted.

Many?  I'll go some.  I do want someone who culturally understands the South and can appeal to both White Southern culture and Black Southern culture.  Both are significantly different than either White or Black culture in other parts of the Country.  In a best case scenario, they both understand and relate, but also transcend the problem areas in both.  I don't care where they are from if they can relate without being condescending.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: hawgon on November 20, 2017, 09:18:27 am
It means, that unlike you, they value our past accomplishments and traditions and don't do all they can tondsicount them and b little them 24/7.

Please don't go blowing things out of proportion.   I, like many of you, have, do, and always will love the Razorbacks, regardless of their lack of championships and other perceived successes....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

AirWarren

A coach that doesn't put his full faith and trust on nwa and 7a-West talent and can go into southern states and get true southern talent. Not be a reflection of the nwa Midwest mentality. Take a look at where the football talent it. It's all south of Midwest nwa.

Also need a coach that won't insult Texas coaches.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: hawgon on November 20, 2017, 09:18:27 am
It means, that unlike you, they value our past accomplishments and traditions and don't do all they can tondsicount them and belittle them 24/7.

I think it's absurd you believe this.  If you believe it.  Oh, that is unless you think this is all about WMS.  And if it is... get a grip.

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on November 20, 2017, 09:22:20 am
I think it means understand the football culture of Arkansas and can recruit effectively in Southern living rooms, especially those along the I-30 corridor.

I-20 North to I-40?  I agree about that.  We need a big time recruiter.   

Ham Ham Pigelow

It means not telling Texas high school football coaches that Arkansas will utilize a fullback against the spread to "kick their asses".

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on November 20, 2017, 09:23:42 am
Have you been to any sporting event in the last several years? There just seems to be a different feel to it. Feels like it's corporate. I don't know how to explain it, but it doesn't seem authentic.

For me, it means understanding the culture that is the razorbacks. Understanding that we are a passionate fanbase, even if the hillbillies take it too far.  Understand that being the 3rd best team in the state is unacceptable and should never happen .

That's because we haven't been good.  When you have to generate excitement, that's exactly how it feels... generated. 

Quote from: AP85 on November 20, 2017, 09:26:26 am
A coach that doesn't put his full faith and trust on nwa and 7a-West talent and can go into southern states and get true southern talent. Not be a reflection of the nwa Midwest mentality. Take a look at where the football talent it. It's all south of Midwest nwa.

Also need a coach that won't insult Texas coaches.

Stop it.  What does this even mean?  Feel free to identify the motherload of recruits from South and East Arkansas that Bielema missed out on. 

BearsBisonsBoars

I'm glad I'm not the only one. But honestly I've been getting this feeling from all CFB, not just the Hogs.

jacobp

Quote from: Ham Ham Pigelow on November 20, 2017, 09:29:19 am
It means not telling Texas high school football coaches that Arkansas will utilize a fullback against the spread to "kick their asses".
Good god this may be the most misquoted Bielema statement in history.
Absolutely not even close to what he said

rzrbackramsfan

I think they need to understand how important winning in football is.  I don't think Long or Bielema really understood that.

hawgon

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on November 20, 2017, 09:41:44 am
I think they need to understand how important winning in football is.  I don't think Long or Bielema really understood that.

They thought Arkansas would and should be happy with being an Indiana level program.

HawgTide

You understand that no one on Hogville is making the decision, right?

Kevin

except baseball
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

cjack

Didn't Long do the same thing?  He brought in "his kind of people."  He brought in a coach from the north.  He brought in administrative people that were specifically not from Arkansas.  One person remained from Arkansas in admin. under him.  The rest were shown the door.  Were all of those Arkansas people "dumb hillbillies" that are biased and bigots?  Does wanting people that think like the fan base make you a dumb redneck southerner if you're from here and intelligent if you aren't?
Woooo Pig Soooie!

SquidBilly

Bias and bigotry is not just a southern thing.  It happens just as much everywhere else in the country but ignorant people like to keep feeding the stereotype. 

UA1985

It means many Southerners biased and bigoted, and that they will hate on people that aren't from around here.
It's not a southern thing. I lived in NYC area for 14 years and they would definitely exhibit prejudice towards any southerner installed as a leader of one of their institutions. They would, wrongly, question the southerner's sophistication and worldliness.

ballz2thewall

it doesn't mean much but it reveals identity politics born of frustration. when things get tough, the oppressed turn tribal.
The rest of the frog.

Hogtimes

Quote from: jacobp on November 20, 2017, 09:38:29 am

If that is true, then tell us what exactly he did say.   It seems like an accurate quote to me,  with the exception he said tight end instead of fullback.

hogsanity

Quote from: HawgTide on November 20, 2017, 09:43:49 am

Yea, and I am thankful for that.

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 20, 2017, 09:24:50 am
Many?  I'll go some.  I do want someone who culturally understands the South and can appeal to both White Southern culture and Black Southern culture.  Both are significantly different than either White or Black culture in other parts of the Country.  In a best case scenario, they both understand and relate, but also transcend the problem areas in both.  I don't care where they are from if they can relate without being condescending.

But no one is saying what specifically those things are as they pertain to coaching football.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

SquidBilly

Everything you do in life relies on situational awareness.  It means coming in and rather than trying to change the culture, you learn about it and adapt to it.  What it means is to find success in the content of where you are.  Long came in and made a lot of changes both good and bad but the one thing he never did was to learn how things worked here.  Frank could raise money with the best of them, but he also knew the importance of making the big donors feel like he not only wanted their money but that they were involved in the decisions.  He gave them a sense of ownership in the athletic programs and embraced the legacies.  Long made it corporate and alienated a few influential people.     

bkjbearcat

Quote from: jacobp on November 20, 2017, 09:38:29 am

Ok, then tell us what he said.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

Hogarusa

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

RME

A head football coach at an SEC school doesn't understand winning is important?

That's a spicy take on a Monday morning.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Bret Squealema on November 20, 2017, 09:54:43 am
Everything you do in life relies on situational awareness.  It means coming in and rather than trying to change the culture, you learn about it and adapt to it.  What it means is to find success in the content of where you are.  Long came in and made a lot of changes both good and bad but the one thing he never did was to learn how things worked here.  Frank could raise money with the best of them, but he also knew the importance of making the big donors feel like he not only wanted their money but that they were involved in the decisions.  He gave them a sense of ownership in the athletic programs and embraced the legacies.  Long made it corporate and alienated a few influential people.     

Reason Broyles was forced out and Long was hired.  He did what he was hired to do in that sense.

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on November 20, 2017, 09:28:18 am
I think it's absurd you believe this.  If you believe it.  Oh, that is unless you think this is all about WMS.  And if it is... get a grip.

I-20 North to I-40?  I agree about that.  We need a big time recruiter.   

Yes.  Arkansas has to start getting significant contributions from East Texas in order to turn it around. 
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on November 20, 2017, 09:49:44 am
Yea, and I am thankful for that.

But no one is saying what specifically those things are as they pertain to coaching football.

Jeff Long didn't kiss enough ass outside of NWA and Bielema didn't like his team being forced to travel to LR to play in an inferior stadium.  Long didn't get how much central Arkansas had their feelings hurt over the growth and influence of NWA.  He didn't spend enough time in the fields in eastern Arkansas talking to the big landowners.  He was too corporate in a time when college sports has gone corporate.  It isn't just about understanding Arkansas.  Even though many Arkansans have left other parts of the state and moved to NWA over the last 20-30 years, those in other parts of the state want to think of them as non-Arkansans.  Got to get at least an AD in that is going to make the rest of the state feel better about themselves. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Grizzlyfan

What prepared Nick Saban to understand the "culture of the south"?  Growing up in northern west Virginia?  going to school in Ohio?  coaching at Toledo and Michigan State?  Living in Miami Florida?

BallHog1

I'll give you that Bret has failed here to this point. But, do you honestly think he doesn't care about winning?
That's too much in my opinion.

SPAL

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on November 20, 2017, 09:33:12 am
That's because we haven't been good.  When you have to generate excitement, that's exactly how it feels... generated. 

Stop it.  What does this even mean?  Feel free to identify the motherload of recruits from South and East Arkansas that Bielema missed out on. 

No, not really. It's not really about excitement. It's the same for basketball too. It just seems like going to a professional game instead of a college game. Not really related to the on field product.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 20, 2017, 10:12:09 am
Jeff Long didn't kiss enough ass outside of NWA and Bielema didn't like his team being forced to travel to LR to play in an inferior stadium.  Long didn't get how much central Arkansas had their feelings hurt over the growth and influence of NWA.  He didn't spend enough time in the fields in eastern Arkansas talking to the big landowners.  He was too corporate in a time when college sports has gone corporate.  It isn't just about understanding Arkansas.  Even though many Arkansans have left other parts of the state and moved to NWA over the last 20-30 years, those in other parts of the state want to think of them as non-Arkansans.  Got to get at least an AD in that is going to make the rest of the state feel better about themselves. 

And recruit Texas.

J-Five

"If the person you're criticizing is doing it better than you are, close your mouth"

BallHog1

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 20, 2017, 10:15:29 am
What prepared Nick Saban to understand the "culture of the south"?  Growing up in northern west Virginia?  going to school in Ohio?  coaching at Toledo and Michigan State?  Living in Miami Florida?
Exactly, doesn't matter where you are from or who you insult if you are winning. Some here are generating things to complain about.

nwa_razorback_coffee

Read "Bootlegger's Boy" by Barry Switzer and you will understand. His recruiting genius was part instilled (his upbringing) and part intuitive (utilizing what he knew).

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: nwa_razorback_coffee on November 20, 2017, 10:18:36 am
Read "Bootlegger's Boy" by Barry Switzer and you will understand. His recruiting genius was part instilled (his upbringing) and part intuitive (utilizing what he knew).
Join us in the 21st century.

FrozenHam

Quote from: ballz2thewall on November 20, 2017, 09:48:10 am
it doesn't mean much but it reveals identity politics born of frustration. when things get tough, the oppressed turn tribal.

Well said.

HogBreath

Quote from: HawgTide on November 20, 2017, 09:43:49 am

I seriously doubt that he understands, much of anything.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

RME

Quote from: BallHog1 on November 20, 2017, 10:18:22 am
Exactly, doesn't matter where you are from or who you insult if you are winning. Some here are generating things to complain about.

Exactly. As someone mentioned, what are Saban's southern ties apart from West Virginia? Played college ball in Ohio. LSU in 2000 was his first coaching stint in the south after entering the coaching world in 1973.

Alabama's current AD is from Idaho, grew up in Oregon and went to school in Arizona, where he got his first AD job.

You're exactly right. We've hit such rock bottom people are complaining about anything and everything.

Malvin

For me, it means understanding how stubborn people in the South can be.  In a way we are very Redneck which can mean doing something stupid to 'get it done'.  If the house is burning down and somebody needs to go in to save the gold fish, count on somebody from Arkansas being stupid enough to do it.  This culture has allowed Arkansas to win over the years despite not having the best players and having to overcome other disadvantages.  Nutt understood this, it's why his preacher approach worked so well here.

We need a coach that understands this situation and use it to allow Arkansas to excel in football.   

SquidBilly

Winning solves all those problems.  Petrino was a SOB but he was our SOB while he was winning.  But if you don't win then you better have at least endeared yourself to the people that control whether or not you will still have a job.  For an AD that is the university leadership, the BOT, and the big money boosters.  For a coach it's the AD and the fans.

Fan1958

From the keyboard of those oh so tolerant non-bigoted and non-biased and holier-than-thou folks. 
Conservatives have always proudly proclaimed themselves to be conservative.  Liberals are now "Progressives"?  Must be terrible to have to hide what you really are.

I like smites.  That's how I know I'm really pissing off the "Progressives".

RexMentor

In and AD you want someone with fundraising ability, knowledge of finances and knowledge about the NCAA.
In a coach you want someone who can recruit and develop players, game management skills and motivational skills.
Other stuff, such as geography or cultural knowledge is MEANINGLESS.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Before taking the LSU job, Saban apparently questioned how a program situated around all that talent could really be so mediocre.  He took the job, focused on in-state recruiting (duh), then won a title. 

He saw the job for what it was, fixed the problem, then won at a level that program had never seen before (even if LSU fans seem to forget about history prior to 2000).

Bielema talked a big game, but didn't take the same approach when he arrived at Arkansas. 

Hog Fan...DOH!

hog911

I'm sure northerners are full opened minded individuals huh? Do you know more black people were lynched in Manahatten, New York than the entire south combined! Northerners didn't even like people who looked like them, namely the Irish! Try reading a history book not approved by the socialist / communist left you would be surprised how many lies you have been taught!

3kgthog

Know your audience (or fanbase in this instance). Jeff Long didn't understand the median income of Hog fans as he was jacking up prices. I get that we've got to have money to compete, but that's why you don't alienate some of the whales of the booster population. JFB understood that fans were the foundation while the big money was the curb appeal.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on November 20, 2017, 10:17:59 am
And recruit Texas.

And sign as many Friday night hometown hero reaches as possible.  One of them might turn out to contribute.