Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bo is hopeless

Started by hawgon, November 16, 2017, 03:43:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

soso

I expect us to promote new AD from within present administration ( Trainor or Varady) and the job is Gus' to turn down and Norvell's to accept.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hoghiker on November 17, 2017, 08:46:56 am
I think it is time for BB to go. I doubt Bo thinks that much differently than the rest of us. I think most people in the media like BB because he's quotable, easy to access and a pretty likable dude. The point I think he's making, along with many other fans, state and national media people is that having this kind of chaos in your athletic department is not a prescription (best practice if you will) when your up against a pretty tight timeline to hire a coach. We'll see. I hope it all works out for Hogdom; however, I don't think its irrational to think the situation could be better  for a coaching search. H Making a single great hire is hard enough. Hitting it  into the bleachers on both coach and AD appears to be a tough chore.

You right it's not optimal but it's the situation we found ourselves in and many many people didn't want Jeff Long making the next hire which when it comes to football is his hardest and most important job.  Hopefully we survive this bump and come out a stronger program.

Grizzlyfan

and this morning one of the regular idiot callers to the Morning Rush starts paraphrasing all of Irwin's misstatements about the construction process and the bond issue and Tommy Craft "uh huhs" in agreement, saying that the caller is just a little off on the 80% of boxes sold.

Surely someone has been in Irwin's ear by now to tell him how screwed up his comments were?  Or has he been sent on a misinformation campaign?

Pancetta

We need to stop saying bad stuff about JL and BB so they can immediately get hired elsewhere else and we won't be on the hook for all of their buyouts. 
Jump Ball / Re: Time to hit the panic button?
January 06, 2022, 05:32:59 pm
Nah. Every single transfer can score. The shots will come once the pecking order gets sorted out.
Pancetta

ricepig

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 17, 2017, 09:06:45 am
and this morning one of the regular idiot callers to the Morning Rush starts paraphrasing all of Irwin's misstatements about the construction process and the bond issue and Tommy Craft "uh huhs" in agreement, saying that the caller is just a little off on the 80% of boxes sold.

Surely someone has been in Irwin's ear by now to tell him how screwed up his comments were?  Or has he been sent on a misinformation campaign?

Surely he was talking about the House tax bill and the provision in it that would do away with the charitable deduction for "tickets" that is allowed up to 80% or so for suites/boxes/club seating? I could see all of the university's concerned how they can pay for projects, salaries, etc. But I got lost on the tie in with construction,  anyway, I'm sure he'll be here to straighten us out.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: ricepig on November 17, 2017, 10:14:15 am
Surely he was talking about the House tax bill and the provision in it that would do away with the charitable deduction for "tickets" that is allowed up to 80% or so for suites/boxes/club seating? I could see all of the university's concerned how they can pay for projects, salaries, etc. But I got lost on the tie in with construction,  anyway, I'm sure he'll be here to straighten us out.
I heard Irwin live on Bo's show yesterday afternoon and it would be pretty hard to misinterpret what he was saying.  If we don't sell 80% of the boxes we can't issue the bonds and pay the contractor.  And because people are working nights and weekends the cost is going to surpass $200 million.  In paraphrase form that is exactly what he said.

ricepig

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 17, 2017, 10:17:38 am
I heard Irwin live on Bo's show yesterday afternoon and it would be pretty hard to misinterpret what he was saying.  If we don't sell 80% of the boxes we can't issue the bonds and pay the contractor.  And because people are working nights and weekends the cost is going to surpass $200 million.  In paraphrase form that is exactly what he said.

Bless his heart.....

Calvin Swine

I didn't hear Irwin's comment so I'll leave that for for others to debate.  But Bo is certainly spinning and casting it all in a bad light and objectivity isn't close to getting a fair shake.  It's his show so I guess he's entitled but you can certainly tell how he feels by the way he asks his questions.  Also despite his own poll results (at the time) coming in around 56% thought it was a good decision and 44% thinking it was bad he calls it a 50/50 divisive split.  Close?  Yeah, but 56% is still a majority. 

Bo is good at what he does (although his and Bart's constant condescending attitude towards callers often rubs me wrong).  Despite him wearing his emotions so openly I do wish he would suck it up and look forward instead of pining away for the good old Long days.

**Disclaimer:  I thought Long did a good job with some things and made some bad decisions in others, which ultimately caught up with him.  Ultimately, as a lifetime Arkansan, I don't care where he was from. 

Jim Harris

Quote from: factchecker on November 16, 2017, 05:10:08 pm
That's because the logic is continuously altered.  The goalposts are always moving.

"Why are we expanding the stadium..... it never sells out!"

The expansion is for the seats that are high in demand.  If we were adding to the 500s I'd agree but we aren't.

"Why are we spending so much money on so few seats?"

Only $46m of the cost is attributed to cost of the seating. The rest of the cost is dedicated to improving the entire stadium - including adding elevators, improving concessions, and giving our players a suitable game day locker room.

AND of course my all time favorite:

"WHAT ABOUT THE STUDENTS?!?!???!? :'("

We are the ONLY instate program that doesn't steal money from our students.  $0 dollars are collected from mandatory student fees.  ZERO.
The athletic department gives money to the university.
Money donated to the athletic department and stadium expansion is not taking away from academics or university. In fact, the stadium expansion could possibly make more money for the university by wowing prospective students and donors.

However, if people are so worried about The University of Arkansas then they can donate here:

https://onlinegiving.uark.edu

It's not the logic behind the acrimony but rather the motivation.

You're one of the few that seem to get it. I don't understand how this negative tact on the expansion ever took hold, though I do know more than a few writers who seem to not grasp it, and not just sportswriters but those in editorial positions. And of course it seems like nothing seems to even get through Sen. Pryor's head either on this. It's always this argument of "we're paying $160 million for 3,500 seats."
Anyway, thanks for spelling that out for folks.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

CareBear

Quote from: Paragould Bulldog on November 16, 2017, 09:45:53 pm
Beau should go back to hitting on college girls back in the day at Club West and leave the reporting to others.
Bingo... I'm 42 & used to go to Club West aka Club Wizzle on College night circa 1998-2001ish. It was kinda dumpy, but there were quite a few honeys out there.
I had a run in with Bo at Buster Bellys around that same time. He was with Aaron Peters & Leslie Wright(blonde news anchor at ABC affiliate) They were about 2 booths down. Smoking Marlboro lights(I have a photographic memory... Aspergers) & drinking beers. Leslie Wright came & sat on my lap. Bo didn't like that & yelled, "Leslie, Leslie!".... Anyways I don't have anything personal against Bo but he is parroting some BS that has screwed our beloved program up!

Hog N Bama

Quote from: Ironhawg on November 16, 2017, 03:45:09 pm
I was listening and wish I had made notes.  Somehow if the UA doesn't sell 80% of the boxes before the construction is finished, the issuer of the bonds can call the full debt due immediately.  The BoT felt like the way the deal was financed was reckless.  But didn't they have to approve the deal?  Does that sound right?
I am really tired of Bo's attitude.  He is really angry today.  I know, I know.  I don't have to listen if I don't like it.  When Irwin goes off, my radio is off.
Don't ya'll get it? Talk show hosts have to stir the pot for ratings. Ratings sell ads.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: Hog N Bama on November 17, 2017, 09:37:27 pm
Don't ya'll get it? Talk show hosts have to stir the pot for ratings. Ratings sell ads.
Yep it's how they make a living. If there is no controversy ratings drop as does their income.

Mike Irwin

Some of ya'll still don't get it. I'm not saying anything. From day one I've said I'm passing along what certain boosters are saying. According to them there were several reasons why Long got the ax. The bond issue deal was one that was passed on to me. Some of the other alleged reasons I am uncomfortable getting into because they are more serious in nature and I don't have any way to verify these claims. The only thing I know right now is that these people said Long was out a good 10 days before it happened. They've made other predictions. The new coach will have Arkansas ties. The new AD will have Arkansas ties. A lot of the so called traditions that Long axed will be brought back.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 17, 2017, 09:53:22 pm
Some of ya'll still don't get it. I'm not saying anything. From day one I've said I'm passing along what certain boosters are saying. According to them there were several reasons why Long got the ax. The bond issue deal was one that was passed on to me. Some of the other alleged reasons I am uncomfortable getting into because they are more serious in nature and I don't have any way to verify these claims. The only thing I know right now is that these people said Long was out a good 10 days before it happened. They've made other predictions. The new coach will have Arkansas ties. The new AD will have Arkansas ties. A lot of the so called traditions that Long axed will be brought back.

I get it Mike.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: GuvHog on November 16, 2017, 05:25:13 pm
Let's say a Contractor bids on a project and his bid is calculated using 1 large crew working during the daytime hours. He gets the bid but well after construction has started, he realizes in order to finish the project on time, he has to hire 2 more crews so work can be done around the clock. What do you think that will do to the cost of building the project??

??? ???   If you're a contractor and you bid on a project and win the bid, and then if you get behind and can't meet your deadlines, that's on YOU.  The UA doesn't pay a penny for any overtime, and in most contracts there are penalties for not meeting the deadline.  So...consequently, the contruction crew will work overtime to catch up if they are behind to prevent being dinged with penalties in the form of lower payments.  Sometimes, they can be SEVERE penalties, and they will drop everything and pull crews from anywhere they can and throw hours and manpower at it until it's back on schedule, or completed.   

That's why I sat scratching my head listening to Mike Irwin yesterday.  Nothing he was saying made any sense.  I think he was close...but he didn't stick the landing.   

I don't know for sure, but I do know from some friends who were displaced due to the renovations and having to choose a new seating option, that they were told that ALL of the luxury boxes and suites were already sold.  What I'm curious about is...was that true, or was that possibly a place that Jeff Long was "fudging" to the board saying that 80% of them were sold, when the reality is they weren't at that number.  My best guess is...that at 80% sold, that is enough to cover the construction costs in the form of the monthly payment to whoever is loaning the money (bond, etc.), and that may have been one of the key points that Jeff Long used to sell the PTB on the proposal.  To me...that makes sense.   

That would potentially be a HUGE point of contention, because at that point he's not being truthful.  That doesn't bode well for someone who is synonymous with integrity.

The other part I didn't understand was...that the initial 160M was potentially turning into $200M, and that it was due to issues with asbestos.  Now...I don't know how all of that plays out with the contractors versus UA and "unforeseen issues," because that can vary with the language in the contract.  But...I don't know how that could be pinned on Jeff Long either way, so again...that didn't make any sense to me either. 

What I hope is that it was a cumulative effect, and nothing detrimental to the UA will result.  Same for Jeff Long, provided he didn't do anything but overpromise, and under deliver, which let's face it, was enough to warrant his resignation without all of this other speculation.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

jgphillips3

I keep hearing it said that the athletic department is in chaos or the firing is knee jerk.  That is perhaps the dumbest thing being said.  We are in the middle of a very deft and carefully calculated plan being executed by the BOT and othe PTB.  There is nothing chaotic or troublesome about it. 

You would only view it as sudden or chaotic if you truly were clueless as to who Jeff Long really was and what he has done to anger people who DO have power.  I know we have a lot of people on here who almost seemed to worship Long but he wasn't that great.  He did some good things, some bad and some just indifferent.  He also dug his own grave. 

There is nothing about this situation that is chaotic unless you just consider all change chaotic.  It is, quite the contrary, seemingly well planned out, organized and being executed with care and precision to right some of the wrongs Jeff Long did while hopefully preserving the good he did too.

urkillnmesmalls

If no one else will say it, I will.  Mike, you've always been a favorite, and I hope you're not taking offense to the remarks.  I think EVERYONE is just confused, and with that's coming out, it's just adding to the confusion! 

There has to be something more than poor performance to fire an AD when they've chosen to do it.   

1.  Jeff Long got in a little too deep, spun a few yarns that started small and got away from him, ultimately caught up with him, and when they started looking at the books, there were some things going on that were egregious enough that they couldn't leave him in place for any period of time and warranted immediate termination.  That makes sense, although I hope it's not true. 

2.  We already have a HC who is in waiting, so booting Long wasn't going to hurt us, and he didn't want to be a "figurehead" AD who was going to allow the PTB to hire a HC that wasn't his pick.  That seems to lean toward Malzahn, because if the rumors are true, he passed him over when he hired CBB instead.  Sort of put Long in a bind...

Seemingly, the other things..."He turned his back on Arkansas, made an effort to eliminate all Arkansas influence, did away with traditions, didn't respect the fans, ridicule ex players....etc." are all minor.  I get that they can add up, but those would add up to termination AFTER the season in my mind.  Unless you're hiring a coach that is at home, or on TV, and NOT coaching now...firing the AD now makes VERY little sense. 

There's more to the story...gotta be. 

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

ricepig

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on November 17, 2017, 10:02:38 pm
??? ???   If you're a contractor and you bid on a project and win the bid, and then if you get behind and can't meet your deadlines, that's on YOU.  The UA doesn't pay a penny for any overtime, and in most contracts there are penalties for not meeting the deadline.  So...consequently, the contruction crew will work overtime to catch up if they are behind to prevent being dinged with penalties in the form of lower payments.  Sometimes, they can be SEVERE penalties, and they will drop everything and pull crews from anywhere they can and throw hours and manpower at it until it's back on schedule, or completed.   

That's why I sat scratching my head listening to Mike Irwin yesterday.  Nothing he was saying made any sense.  I think he was close...but he didn't stick the landing.   

I don't know for sure, but I do know from some friends who were displaced due to the renovations and having to choose a new seating option, that they were told that ALL of the luxury boxes and suites were already sold.  What I'm curious about is...was that true, or was that possibly a place that Jeff Long was "fudging" to the board saying that 80% of them were sold, when the reality is they weren't at that number.  My best guess is...that at 80% sold, that is enough to cover the construction costs in the form of the monthly payment to whoever is loaning the money (bond, etc.), and that may have been one of the key points that Jeff Long used to sell the PTB on the proposal.  To me...that makes sense.   

That would potentially be a HUGE point of contention, because at that point he's not being truthful.  That doesn't bode well for someone who is synonymous with integrity.

The other part I didn't understand was...that the initial 160M was potentially turning into $200M, and that it was due to issues with asbestos.  Now...I don't know how all of that plays out with the contractors versus UA and "unforeseen issues," because that can vary with the language in the contract.  But...I don't know how that could be pinned on Jeff Long either way, so again...that didn't make any sense to me either. 

What I hope is that it was a cumulative effect, and nothing detrimental to the UA will result.  Same for Jeff Long, provided he didn't do anything but overpromise, and under deliver, which let's face it, was enough to warrant his resignation without all of this other speculation.   

It will take approximately $160m to pay off the $115m bonds, you add that to the $40m in donations gets you to $200m. That's the same number it's been since the beginning of this process. The suites are sold, the Loge boxes are fast approaching that level. What they do have to sell is 2200 club level seats, that is as important as the suites and boxes as it brings in the same money. The RF accomplishes nothing by stating these are sold, if they aren't. I guess someone learned not to say read rumors without checking the facts.

ur

so, In: Gus, Norvell, Holtz.   Out: Leach, Frost, Campbell ?  (Based on Ark ties)

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: ur on November 17, 2017, 10:21:10 pm
so, In: Gus, Norvell, Holtz.   Out: Leach, Frost, Campbell ?  (Based on Ark ties)
Frost may be off the table soon anyway.
Lars Anderson‏Verified account @LarsAnderson71
4h4 hours ago

Not a breaking-news guy, but hearing a lot of heavy breathing on Nebraska coaching front: Scott Frost to NU for 7 years, $35 mil is "close."
117 replies 604 retweets 867 likes

(notOM)Rebel123

Mike, I always enjoy you on the radio & appreciate your insightful posts here on HV. But, from my experience with bond issues, I think the "80%" comment was incorrect. It's a pretty serious claim, in and of itself, that probably should have been verified before airing. I think that's what most people are disagreeing with you on.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 17, 2017, 10:13:12 pm
I keep hearing it said that the athletic department is in chaos or the firing is knee jerk.  That is perhaps the dumbest thing being said.  We are in the middle of a very deft and carefully calculated plan being executed by the BOT and othe PTB.  There is nothing chaotic or troublesome about it. 

You would only view it as sudden or chaotic if you truly were clueless as to who Jeff Long really was and what he has done to anger people who DO have power.  I know we have a lot of people on here who almost seemed to worship Long but he wasn't that great.  He did some good things, some bad and some just indifferent.  He also dug his own grave. 

There is nothing about this situation that is chaotic unless you just consider all change chaotic.  It is, quite the contrary, seemingly well planned out, organized and being executed with care and precision to right some of the wrongs Jeff Long did while hopefully preserving the good he did too.

I hope you're right.  If you're not, it will just add to the list of times when we get laughed at.   :(   Dana Altman, CBP, JLS, Dykes, Toledo, etc. 

If the hope is that we're going to win the sweepstakes versus all of the other job openings, then that's scary.  If this thing is all built around the GOBN saying, "You know what...we should have hired GM when we had the chance, and we never should have let JL hire CBB.  Look where that got us.  Let's get Gus back in the fold, and start building back our tradition," then I hope they have something more than hope on their side.  If Gus manages to get past Bama, and then handle UGA in the playoff...if things play out right with some other teams, they could conceivably make it into the playoffs.  What are the chances that GM would WIN the NC, and then accept the job at the UA?  What will he do...start calling bad plays on purpose and tank against Bama?   ;D

I don't know...it all points toward having a master plan in place, or this is a complete fly by the seat of their pants move, and it could backfire MASSIVELY 

Based on the timeline, what I've heard, and what it appears....we're making a move back to the GOBN.  That might work for a little while, but when the rules aren't the same for everyone, someone will always get their feathers ruffled.  If we end up with a puppet AD and HC, I think we could easily see things actually get worse.  Don't get me wrong...I think Long and BB needed to go, but a return to the GOBN worries me deeply. 

ricepig

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on November 17, 2017, 10:26:52 pm
Mike, I always enjoy you on the radio & appreciate your insightful posts here on HV. But, from my experience with bond issues, I think the "80%" comment was incorrect. It's a pretty serious claim, in and of itself, that probably should have been verified before airing. I think that's what most people are disagreeing with you on.

I know nothing about bond issues, but I can read!

ur

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 17, 2017, 10:22:57 pm
Frost may be off the table soon anyway.
Lars Anderson‏Verified account @LarsAnderson71
4h4 hours ago

Not a breaking-news guy, but hearing a lot of heavy breathing on Nebraska coaching front: Scott Frost to NU for 7 years, $35 mil is "close."
117 replies 604 retweets 867 likes

That's not good. Frost was tied with Norvell for second, behind Mullen, for the Florida job in vegas. We better be talking to Norvell. Mullen and Norvell are both at the top of the list for Tenn and Florida jobs.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: ricepig on November 17, 2017, 10:17:45 pm
It will take approximately $160m to pay off the $115m bonds, you add that to the $40m in donations gets you to $200m. That's the same number it's been since the beginning of this process. The suites are sold, the Loge boxes are fast approaching that level. What they do have to sell is 2200 club level seats, that is as important as the suites and boxes as it brings in the same money. The RF accomplishes nothing by stating these are sold, if they aren't. I guess someone learned not to say read rumors without checking the facts.

That jives with what I was told was being communicated to them, so that makes sense.  So the working after hours is likely the construction team catching up, and the asbestos story didn't have legs.  I'm glad those are looking to be rumors. 

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ricepig on November 17, 2017, 10:30:39 pm
I know nothing about bond issues, but I can read!

You Know nothing?....Ha! I know better than that.

ricepig

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on November 17, 2017, 10:36:30 pm
That jives with what I was told was being communicated to them, so that makes sense.  So the working after hours is likely the construction team catching up, and the asbestos story didn't have legs.  I'm glad those are looking to be rumors. 

There's a GMP on the project at $132m, it's fine. There's a poster on here that's working on it, he said the subs all his in their price and OT was in their bids. As to asbestos, they tore that sucker down in nothing flat, there wouldn't have been any asbestos, haha.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ricepig on November 17, 2017, 10:40:37 pm
There's a GMP on the project at $132m, it's fine. There's a poster on here that's working on it, he said the subs all his in their price and OT was in their bids. As to asbestos, they tore that sucker down in nothing flat, there wouldn't have been any asbestos, haha.

By razing the building, the asbestos issue most likely would have been the manner in which is was disposed. Nothing out of the ordinary for older buildings or houses. Ever tried to donate an old house to the local fire department so they can burn it in training, just to get rid of it? The asbestos issue comes into play every time. Not a big deal, relatively speaking.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: ricepig on November 17, 2017, 10:40:37 pm

Thanks for the update.  Something stinks.  I don't know what, but there has to be more teeth to this than "They just got tired of Jeff Long."  The timing couldn't be much worse with recruiting, probably hiring a new coach, etc. 

Do you think...that from out of left field, they would retain CBB for one more year to get in a new AD, let them get their feet on the ground, get PAST this season's end with all of the vacancies, and try to have a better shot at a HC in 2019...provided a miracle doesn't find CBB next season?   

Mike Irwin

Quote from: ricepig on November 17, 2017, 10:17:45 pm
I'm trying to recall a lot of things that were said by different people. I do remember hearing from one high placed booster that Long sold some of the luxury seating at one price then started discounting to others at a greatly reduced price. Supposedly word got back to the original purchasers and several of them indicated that they might back out. This man said the BOT was very concerned about this. I do know this, they're not going to rest easy until a new coach is in place and there is some indication that he's gaining traction with the fans. This project is being built at a time when fans across the country are turning more and more to TV viewing vs. going to the games. I spoke with Long about this a couple of years ago and he was very concerned about it. It's great to get all this TV money but when all the games are on TV it doesn't take a genius to see the potential for live gate issues. Especially if you add to the stadium and have to pay for it with people in the seats and in those boxes.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 17, 2017, 10:52:09 pm
I'm trying to recall a lot of things that were said by different people. I do remember hearing from one high placed booster that Long sold some of the luxury seating at one price then started discounting to others at a greatly reduced price. Supposedly word got back to the original purchasers and several of them indicated that they might back out. This man said the BOT was very concerned about this. I do know this, they're not going to rest easy until a new coach is in place and there is some indication that he's gaining traction with the fans. This project is being built at a time when fans across the country are turning more and more to TV viewing vs. going to the games. I spoke with Long about this a couple of years ago and he was very concerned about it. It's great to get all this TV money but when all the games are on TV it doesn't take a genius to see the potential for live gate issues. Especially if you add to the stadium and have to pay for it with people in the seats and in those boxes.

I think that's what befuddled a LOT of people in the first place, and to me that's AMPLIFIED because even being in NWA, I know that RRS is filled with fans from all over the state, and out of state.  If it was just NWA fans, what do you think the attendance would be? 

Even with that, there has to be a "break even" point that is tangible with regard to season tickets, boxes, suites, etc. that pays for the renovations.  Long and everyone involved had to think that was attainable, or they are asinine for approving the project. 

Then oops....we started losing, and the game changed.  Still...nothing was going to change dramatically in the next few games, so something is fishy.  I smell a rat.   ;D   

Mike Irwin

Quote from: cjack on November 16, 2017, 04:07:11 pm
This is the same Mike Irwin that doesn't say anything unless he knows it's true.  I'll take that over a tweet that Jeff Long supposedly had everything sold that he needed to sell.
Nope. I made it very clear that this was coming from the same people who told me a couple of weeks ago that Long was gone. I could not verify it myself. Bo was wanting to know some of the reasons why Long was fired. They had made it clear to me that it was about more than just Bielema and the football team. The construction project was the only thing I was comfortable talking about.

The bottom line is the man is gone and for 99% of the fans that's what matters. If you guys want to nit pick the reasons why and argue about it have at it. Except for Hogville where details are argued for months the issue for most is who replaces Long, when Is Bielema going down and who will replace him?

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 17, 2017, 11:27:52 pm
Nope. I made it very clear that this was coming from the same people who told me a couple of weeks ago that Long was gone. I could not verify it myself. Bo was wanting to know some of the reasons why Long was fired. They had made it clear to me that it was about more than just Bielema and the football team. The construction project was the only thing I was comfortable talking about.

The bottom line is the man is gone and for 99% of the fans that's what matters. If you guys want to nit pick the reasons why and argue about it have at it. Except for Hogville where details are argued for months the issue for most is who replaces Long, when Is Bielema going down and who will replace him?

I don't know if you feel comfortable answering this, but I heard you speaking about it fairly candidly yesterday on Bo's show.  Do you think Malzahn is the number one target, and do you think he's already been approached and some sort of preliminary agreement has already been reached? 

That all seems weird after they just beat UGA, and could beat Bama in a few weeks, but I guess if it's true the he's being told he has to win or get fired, I guess no amount of success can atone for that kind of pressure. 

IT'S JUST WEIRD TIMING, and if the people making the decisions are winging it, then that's incredible to me. 

(notOM)Rebel123

You are starting to sound like Bo or Hillary. In some cases, details are argued over because media guys, who a lot of people trust they know what they are talking about,  say things that aren't true.  But Mike, most everyone on HV respects your opinion. No reason to attack or criticize them for questioning something you said on air, that was incorrect.
So, as the old saying goes, "Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel." So I'll leave it at that.

hogblitz

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 17, 2017, 09:54:53 pm
I get it Mike.
Please tell me that Charlie Strong will not be considered!

Paragould Bulldog

Well, speaking of tradition, can we now quit the ridiculous Jen Bielema sorority sister A gang sign garbage?  What an embarrassment from the start.

From Tusk Till Dawn

First off, I just wanted to say that I'll stay in my car a little longer if I hear you will be on in the next segment on the radio.  So respectfully, I don't think that's the bottom line.  We are garnering alot of national attention for all the wrong reasons, again.  And why?  If Long was fired for reasons other than what was stated officially than there should be no buyout?  If the buyout was done just to keep dirty laundry out of the media that feels dishonest too.  In the meantime, they are talking about national searches for replacements which is likely a farce.  And we havent even addressed the HC situation.  The timing of all this is just bewildering and it is starting to smell bad.

ricepig

Well, Long's personnel file pretty much indicated why he was let go. He said in an email to then Chancellor Gearhart in 2012 that there were BOT members that didn't value his leadership over the past 5 years and felt he should be fired.  Also that in 2012 one trustee called for a vote of no confidence. Of course, Gearhart then gave him a big raise and the $1m/yr buyout after those exchanges. I'm guessing one of them didn't like the firing of BP, lol.

hawgon

He should have been fired for his contract alone.  It was pretty much unprecedented in the world of college ADs and was ginned up in Gearhart's final days to protect Long since Gearhart was out the door.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: hawgon on November 18, 2017, 07:19:20 am
He should have been fired for his contract alone.  It was pretty much unprecedented in the world of college ADs and was ginned up in Gearhart's final days to protect Long since Gearhart was out the door.
I'm trying to make sure I understand your perspective.  Are you suggesting JL should have been fired for negotiating a favorable contract?

hawgon

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on November 18, 2017, 08:42:19 am
I'm trying to make sure I understand your perspective.  Are you suggesting JL should have been fired for negotiating a favorable contract?

Yeah, and I've got a source that says that when they cleaned out his office, they found the gun and the mask he used to do it.

Pork Twain

Quote from: cjack on November 16, 2017, 04:07:11 pm
This is the same Mike Irwin that doesn't say anything unless he knows it's true.  I'll take that over a tweet that Jeff Long supposedly had everything sold that he needed to sell.
I would rather have a reporter that waited to have solid news, than a troll that is in such a rush to get the first story out that he is often wrong.  It's called quality journalism.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 19, 2017, 07:58:30 am
I would rather have a reporter that waited to have solid news, than a troll that is in such a rush to get the first story out that he is often wrong.  It's called quality journalism.
It helps to know the difference between reporting and answering questions on a sports call in show. I'm not on Bo's show to sit and and say, Well I won't comment on something unless it's a proven fact. The same is true of the host and any of his guests.

I assume that most who listen to the various shows like Bo's understand that what's discussed is a mix of opinions and what's being said by various sources behind the scenes.

If that's not the quality journalism you're looking for don't listen.

Much of what I spend my time on is straight up reporting but there are times when I'm asked on both on the radio and on TV to pass along what I'm hearing. I'm also asked to give my opinions. Like after the game yesterday when I was asked what I thought of Bielema's decision to go for it on 4th down in Arkansas territory with the game tied late in the 4th quarter.

It's all part of the job.

AlmaHog2011

Awesome we need some Arkansas Pride back on the hill! Been run by people that don't think much of poor wittle Ar Kansas..LOL

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: hawgon on November 18, 2017, 07:19:20 am
Right on the money. Plenty of reasons why Long is gone. And I don't care about the national media who do not know anything about what happens here in Arkansas.
I care about getting pride in being a Razorback back!!! Sad when having anything Arkansas in you background puts you in the "Do Not Apply list". Just sick of the Long fans which are more on here than I would have ever thought. I am a Razorback fan! My Hogs have been stolen by Long and Bielema. They don't have a clue about Arkansas.

cjack

I could have worded my response better.  One poster linked a tweet that said the boxes were sold, implying there was no issue with the expansion.  I read a recap of your time on Bo's show. My comment was that I'd take your word/reporting over someone's tweet because you don't put out info unless you feel confident about it.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter to me why Long was let go. I don't feel like he cared one bit about the University of Arkansas.  He cared about making the most money he could, whether it was selling our logo or selling luxury boxes.  I'm glad the change was made.
Woooo Pig Soooie!

hawaiianhogster

One radio station I was listening to on the net, maybe 92.3 or close to that. I think it was the Matlin radio program? Anyway they had about 10 reasons why they fired JL. They stayed away from saying he was fired due to his hiring of BB. My guess is the football program going downhill was just one reason of many they decided to fire him.

The way I see it is they want the new AD to be the one to hire the new football head coach. Timing is everything.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 17, 2017, 09:06:45 am

First of all I wasn't making a statement. I passed it along as something I was told. In the space of the last three days I've been told by someone inside the athletic department that those suites have all been sold and by someone who says when the BOT asked to see paperwork on the suites it was clear that money had been deposited on only about half. The rest were "sold" on the basis of a promise of payment. I don't know if any of this is accurate either. Both people I talked to are generally good sources. 

I'm fairly certain in saying that the BOT is very concerned with the level of debt incurred by the athletic department over the past few years. When Frank started a project he generally had about half of it already paid for. I'm told that Long relied less on donations with more bond money involved.

hawgon

That is what I've been saying about those suites, until the money is in hand, they are not "sold".  People can and will back out of their commitments if the product in the field is so bad as to make them not want to attend the games.

ricepig

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 20, 2017, 07:38:15 am
First of all I wasn't making a statement. I passed it along as something I was told. In the space of the last three days I've been told by someone inside the athletic department that those suites have all been sold and by someone who says when the BOT asked to see paperwork on the suites it was clear that money had been deposited on only about half. The rest were "sold" on the basis of a promise of payment. I don't know if any of this is accurate either. Both people I talked to are generally good sources. 

I'm fairly certain in saying that the BOT is very concerned with the level of debt incurred by the athletic department over the past few years. When Frank started a project he generally had about half of it already paid for. I'm told that Long relied less on donations with more bond money involved.

When we did the expansion in 2001, we had an athletic budget of $25m, facilities debt of $47m, and the cost of the expansion was $107m. And currently have a $115m budget, owe $56m on facilities, and $160m expansion. I think Frank did secure more money before he built a facility, but he wasn't receiving the revenue we get today.

As to the suites and loge boxes, I don't doubt on the % of money received. The existing 134 suites aren't all paid for next year either, haha.