Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coaching Carousel - 2017 Edition

Started by WilsonHog, October 12, 2017, 06:27:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogPharmer

Media asking about Gruden as possible new HC candidate at the presser regarding Butch Jones firing! Hahahahaha!
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

GrouchyOldGuy

Can anyone up date me on our coaching situation, thanks in advance

Well, according to Bret, he hasn't talked to Jeff Long about job security, therefore there is nothing to update that is official.  Rumor and just rumor is that upper management above Jeff Long is unhappy but one would presume Jeff is happy with the situation as is.  Jeff did say that Bret knew winning more was necessary just to satisfy the fans, basically. 

One would think that Bret would know he is in trouble as our HC but who knows, it appears that he didn't know he couldn't coach so maybe he doesn't realize his job could be on the line.

Many believe all the Boards are right on top of the situation.  This includes The Board of Trustees, Board of Regents, Board of Directors, Boardcamp, Board as in the old fashion paddle of yesteryear, skateboard, floorboard, just bored, who knows?

If we look back on how the boards or bored have handled this for the past 25 to 30 years, we know this group is not Allstate, the good hands people.  Expect another disaster.

Grunt

Quote from: rtr on October 14, 2017, 06:10:37 pm
I would say the best up and comer is Matt Campbell at Iowa State. Norvell looks good but would like to see more.
I hope we are talking to M.A.C. already.
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

jvanhorn

Quote from: hassettsportsman on October 12, 2017, 07:34:51 pm
If Gus trounces Big O...LSU will have an opening.

Not so sure about that.  Isn't he the kind of coach that Arkansas is looking for.  He understands the people and culture of Louisiana.  He is one of "them".  I sorta got the feeling he was well liked.  My guess is he has a bit longer leash that that.

jvanhorn

Quote from: Grunt on November 14, 2017, 10:17:44 am
I hope we are talking to M.A.C. already.

I think that they are both good choices.  I would leant towards Norvall because he obviously understands the state and people of Arkansas and would most likely, if he turns out to be the man we want him to be, would b probably be here for the duration.   The other guy probably doesn't know that much and may very well, considering the circumstances, if successful just see this as a stepping stone to something a little higher up the ladder.

moses_007

I'll be glad to see Bret Bielema on this fired list.

RedRover10

November 18, 2017, 09:54:10 pm #57 Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 10:39:26 pm by RedRover10
What about ncstate oc Eliah Drinkwitz? He's from Arkansas and graduated at ATU but has been under Gus for his whole career till going to NCSt a year ago and also his style fits well with Cole Kelley's style

ImYourHoggleberry

Quote from: RedRover10 on November 18, 2017, 09:54:10 pm
What about ncstate oc Eliah Drinkwitz? He's from Arkansas and graduated at ATU but has been under Gus for his whole career till going to NCSt a year ago and also his style fits well with Cole Kelley's style

He was at Boise without Gus too. He graduated from Alma, so maybe Sonic could get some new buzz. Seriously though, he is really young and needs some HC experience before he would be a real candidate.

The funny thing about him is that he wanted to coach at Alma, and they wouldn't give him anything more than junior high reaponsibilities. That's when Gus hired him at Springdale.

twistitup

Quote from: RedRover10 on November 18, 2017, 09:54:10 pm

What is Cole Kelly's style?
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

311Hog

Quote from: twistitup on November 20, 2017, 04:56:07 am
What is Cole Kelly's style?
diesel truck with rocket launcher mounted on the side?

hog.goblin

Jones out at South Alabama.  CBB would be a great fit there...

Tigaman

Quote from: hog.goblin on November 20, 2017, 05:58:37 pm

Not surprised. He just got blown out by a winless Georgia Southern who had fired their coach earlier this season.

HogPharmer

Quote from: Tigaman on November 20, 2017, 06:21:39 pm
Not surprised. He just got blown out by a winless Georgia Southern who had fired their coach earlier this season.

That's almost as embarrassing as having to make a late 4th quarter comeback against a 1-7 Sunbelt team to win by 1 point.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

caveman

Where Tenn screwed up was when they fired Fulmer, he'd won a couple of SEC titles and one national title. A couple of bad yrs and they forgot what he'd done.

Dark Helmet Hog

November 24, 2017, 04:58:20 pm #65 Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 05:09:08 pm by Dark Helmet Hog
Quote from: hog.goblin on November 20, 2017, 05:58:37 pm

Yes.

HogPharmer

husker71

Riley is at his presser asking for 1 more year and telling everyone he is the right guy for the job.  Sure he will be out by Monday maybe earlier.   Scott Frost  COME ON DOWN!!!!

GunnerHawg70

Never thought I'd see Arkansas on Coaching Carousel...smh

BR

Expect announcement anytime from Nebraska
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

BR

Pete Thamel    ‏Verified account @PeteThamel

SOURCES: UCLA is finalizing a deal to make Chip Kelly the next coach there. An agreement is expected by the end of the weekend.

Boarcephus

Quote from: BR on November 25, 2017, 09:32:46 am
Expect announcement anytime from Nebraska

He's out isn't he?  I figure it's Bielema to UN. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

stan the man

You might be able to add Harbsugh. Three years at Michigan and can't be

hog.goblin

Quote from: stan the man on November 25, 2017, 02:50:21 pm
You might be able to add Harbsugh. Three years at Michigan and can't be

Thought they were working on some sort of lifetime contract for Jim?

PigDaddyKane

The only person on Hogville without an inside source for Razorback news!

StanHog

Quote from: Lanny on October 12, 2017, 06:29:02 pm
There are going to be several names to add before this year is over
I just heard Saban is on the hot seat!!

BR

Todd Graham fired at Arizona State, @SunDevilSource reports

870hogg

Looks like Dan Mullen IN at Florida and Greg Schiano IN at Tennessee per ESPN

CPL HOG

Captain Hamerica

Rudy Baylor

Rudy Baylor

wonder if Tim Horton can get South Alabama?

johnny cash

hog.goblin

husker71

wow is this a really interesting year for all of this or is it just me?? 

Tejano Jawg

Something else that's interesting, seeing what has changed since the first page of posts here.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

MushroomCloudHog

Well, I just got a text from someone that would be in the know. They are being told that win Lose or Draw, the coach will be Gus. They said the longer that this drags out the more obvious it will be. They sound pretty certain and adamant that Gus will be the coach.

Michaelt

Quote from: CPL HOG on November 26, 2017, 02:18:04 pm
Looks like Schino to Tennessee

Caused a firestorm of on campus protests and state legislators complaining.

Schiano is not going to be the HC at Tennessee.

Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.

tbhogfan

Go Hogs!

clew

Finebaum interview thinks UT may be on the hook for damages to Shiano based on memorandum of understanding
Pure as the dawn

moses_007

Quote from: clew on November 27, 2017, 02:51:05 pm
Finebaum interview thinks UT may be on the hook for damages to Shiano based on memorandum of understanding
I doubt it since he hasn't signed any contract.

hog.goblin

Quote from: moses_007 on November 27, 2017, 07:13:05 pm
I doubt it since he hasn't signed any contract.

Oh, there was contract signed alright.  Just not by TN.  There are damages. The only question is how much.

Hayduke

Gundy reportedly turned down the Florida job, according to Oklahoma sports radio host and former OSU coach Pat Jones.

Hayduke

It's now being reported that Gundy is meeting with Tennessee officials in Dallas.

Hayduke

They're offering to double his salary to $8.4M, making him the third highest paid coach in the country.

311Hog

he would be foolish to take that job IMHO.

hog.goblin

Quote from: 311Hog on November 28, 2017, 10:39:33 am
he would be foolish to take that job IMHO.

Agree.  I can't imagine a currently successful head coach taking that job.

Cotton

Quote from: hog.goblin on November 27, 2017, 08:16:26 pm
Oh, there was contract signed alright.  Just not by TN.  There are damages. The only question is how much.
OTL was reporting that the AD and Schino had signed the memorandum and lawyers on both sides are preparing for a major suit.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

johnny cash

Gundy would rock that Mullet to rocky top.