Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

#7 Vanderbilt loses to Cleveland State!

Started by The_Iceman, November 13, 2011, 06:56:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=313170238

And this is a Cleveland St. team that just lost Norris Cole, its points (21.7) and assists (5.3) leader and second leading rebounder (5.8).

Breems

Well, how about that.  I'm thinking we're due for one of these, but the Vandy's and Miss. St's of the world should be handling these.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

The_Iceman

We cannot take Oakland lightly.

If we beat Oakland, we need to realize as a fanbase that it is an accomplishment. If teams like Cleveland St. can lose Norris Cole and still win games, Oakland can do the same.

Smithian

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 13, 2011, 07:16:27 pm
We cannot take Oakland lightly.

If we beat Oakland, we need to realize as a fanbase that it is an accomplishment. If teams like Cleveland St. can lose Norris Cole and still win games, Oakland can do the same.
So this year beating low major teams is an accomplishment but last year beating teams like Tennessee and Alabama by small margins was unacceptable?

Breems

Quote from: Smithian on November 13, 2011, 07:35:23 pm
So this year beating low major teams is an accomplishment but last year beating teams like Tennessee and Alabama by small margins was unacceptable?

No, losing a crap load of games for the past 3 years was unacceptable. 

Dogtown Donkey

Vandy showing their true colors. I should have known better than to pick them to finish first in the SEC.

QuoteSo this year beating low major teams is an accomplishment but last year beating teams like Tennessee and Alabama by small margins was unacceptable?

I wouldn't consider beating Oakland an accomplishment, and anyone who considered beating a conference opponent by any margin was being unrealistic. Wins are acceptable under any circumstances in my book.

The_Iceman

Did anyone say anything about last year? No, so lets not derail the thread.

Oakland was 25-10 last year, lost to Texas by 4 in the NCAA tournament, lost to Michigan St. by 1, and beat Tennessee by 7.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on November 13, 2011, 07:50:25 pm
Vandy showing their true colors. I should have known better than to pick them to finish first in the SEC.

I wouldn't consider beating Oakland an accomplishment, and anyone who considered beating a conference opponent by any margin was being unrealistic. Wins are acceptable under any circumstances in my book.

Maybe not an "accomplishment", but it is saying something because they are a quality opponent.

We will see what kind of quality they are tomorrow night because they play Bama.

Breems

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on November 13, 2011, 07:50:25 pm

I'll finish this before we get another "Atmosphere" thread:

Smithian: "That's not what Jump Ball said last year. Wins were unacceptable unless they were a huge margin."
DD: "That was the minority of extreme haters."
Smithian: "I love John Pelphrey."
HawgAdvocate: "+1"
DD: "I love Buzz Williams."
The_Hogfather: "+1"

The_Iceman

How does every thread end up something like this?

RockChalkJayhawk

Oakland has one kick-azz website.  I've not seen this particular format before, for media-guides, but it's excellent.

http://www.insideouathletics.com/flipguides/2011-12_OU_MBB_Prospectus/

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: Breems on November 13, 2011, 07:53:40 pm
I'll finish this before we get another "Atmosphere" thread:

Smithian: "That's not what Jump Ball said last year. Wins were unacceptable unless they were a huge margin."
DD: "That was the minority of extreme haters."
Smithian: "I love John Pelphrey."
HawgAdvocate: "+1"
DD: "I love Buzz Williams."
The_Hogfather: "+1"

I laughed.

GoHogs1091

Hey, we better not be talking about other SEC Teams because if we do, we might be accused of being a Fan of the other SEC Team we are talking about. :)

The_Iceman

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 13, 2011, 08:41:59 pm
Hey, we better not be talking about other SEC Teams because if we do, we might be accused of being a Fan of the other SEC Team we are talking about. :)

Stop Trolling.

Danny J

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 13, 2011, 07:51:09 pm
Did anyone say anything about last year? No, so lets not derail the thread.

Oakland was 25-10 last year, lost to Texas by 4 in the NCAA tournament, lost to Michigan St. by 1, and beat Tennessee by 7.
What did they lose from last year? They were a good team last season and they will be very tough to beat if they return many players from last season.

I think people need to realize that we are not a sweet sixteen team right now. Could we be there by the end of the season? Maybe but not real likely. We are gonna struggle at times this year and lose some games we should win. We may probably win a game or two we should lose. It all depends on how quickly this team gels and how quickly they understand the system. I don't have high expectations. I think beating solid mid majors would be a step forward.

The_Iceman

Oakland returns 5'11" PG Reggie Hamilton who averaged 18ppg and 5apg. They also return 6'4" SG Travis Bader who averaged 10ppg.

They lost quite a bit off of last years team. And like I said, we will know where they are after they play Bama tomorrow.

They brought in 5 new freshman this year that stand: 6'4", 6'6", 6'9", 6'10", 7'0". So they will definitely look the part of a solid program.

beasley

Quote from: RockChalkJayhawk on November 13, 2011, 08:09:45 pm
Oakland has one kick-azz website.  I've not seen this particular format before, for media-guides, but it's excellent.

http://www.insideouathletics.com/flipguides/2011-12_OU_MBB_Prospectus/

Dang, I liked that little book.
Football is like life - it requires perseverance, self-denial, hard work, sacrifice, dedication and respect for authority.
Vince Lombardi

98hogs

Heck beating any low ranked team like an Oakland was an accomplishment under Pel !!

WMHawgfan

Let's not celebrate too much. Oakland and Houston will gives us all we can handle. Didn't know much about Houston but found out that they too had a very good recruiting class this past year.

The_Iceman

Quote from: WMHawgfan on November 14, 2011, 07:04:33 am
Let's not celebrate too much. Oakland and Houston will gives us all we can handle. Didn't know much about Houston but found out that they too had a very good recruiting class this past year.

Oakland and Houston will be good challenges for our young team, especially since the entire team is transitioning into a new system.

fortson23

Hog Waller

They didn't just lose, they got beat pretty badly.  News channel here in Lexington, KY was yucking it up at Vandy's expense.