Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

#1 Kansas

Started by labb, February 14, 2011, 09:53:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

labb

about to go down to Kansas st..Down 18 with 10:00 left.

Fort Dweller

February 14, 2011, 09:55:23 pm #1 Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 10:02:07 pm by Fort Dweller
and then they score 6 quick points.

But Pullen won't be denied.
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

PonderinHog

ar_hog_fan

that ranking didnt last long... so who will be the new #1??

3kgthog

Quote from: ar_hog_fan on February 14, 2011, 10:32:13 pm

Texas

RockChalkJayhawk

Quote from: ar_hog_fan on February 14, 2011, 10:32:13 pm

LoL sure didn't!!  Sometimes, you get what you want, and sometimes, you get what you need, and Kansas needed that, bigtime.  KSU played lights out.

Texas will be #1, and deservedly so.  They were only one vote short in today's poll. 

PonderinHog

Quote from: RockChalkJayhawk on February 14, 2011, 10:39:29 pm
LoL sure didn't!!  Sometimes, you get what you want, and sometimes, you get what you need, and Kansas needed that, bigtime.  KSU played lights out.

Texas will be #1, and deservedly so.  They were only one vote short in today's poll.
And then Texas will promptly lose..... ;D

Fort Dweller

Pullen was beastly.
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

press ham

frank martin is a good coach imo...

Breems

Time for you guys to fire Self after that one so he can land his dream job at Arkansas due to his anger towards the Big 12.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Spider-Pig

KSU needed that win

Pullen played like he was expected to preseason

pondwater jack

HAHA!   I was married to a girl in Kansas for about 2 months a long time ago.  Her daddy and I had numerous fist fights during that time, (some he won and some I won) and he loved the Jayhawks.  I hope that old ____ was sitting ther gumming himself.  I love when Kansas looses.

PWJ
Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on February 13, 2015, 07:56:19 am
I cry at the thought of our creator looking down from on high relishing in two of his more majestic creations (Jack Blasingame and Mike Irwin) pulling together for the benefit of all razorback nation. Neigh..! mankind...
Quote from: Fort Dweller on February 14, 2015, 10:04:29 pm
And they slowly slink back to their holes.  Well done Madden and Watkins.

JackJohnson

I had forgotten how good a coach Frank Martin was until last night domination of KU.  I don't read this board much and i am sure he is heavily discussed.  I think he would be a homerun hire

He took over a situation worse than Pel did- and a team with ZERO tradition in a MUCH tougher conference and has done a fantastic job. 

These are stats after last season.  Both Martin and Pel are in their 4th seasons with their teams, and Martin clearly has KSU better off again this season. 

Ark 3 years before Pelphrey

18-12
22-10 (NCAA 1st Round)
21-14 (NCAA 1st Round)

61-36 (62.9%)

3 Years with Pelphrey

23-12 (NCAA 2nd Round)
14-16
14-18

51-46 (52.6%) -10.3%

Kansas State 3 years before Martin

17-12
15-13
23-12 (NIT 2nd Round)

55-37 (59.8%)

3 years with Martin

21-12 (NCAA 2nd Round)
22-12 (NIT 2nd Round)
29-7 (NCAA Elite Eight)

72-31 (69.9%) +10.1%

nwarazfan

Quote from: JackJohnson on February 15, 2011, 01:53:55 pm
I had forgotten how good a coach Frank Martin was until last night domination of KU.  I don't read this board much and i am sure he is heavily discussed.  I think he would be a homerun hire

He took over a situation worse than Pel did- and a team with ZERO tradition in a MUCH tougher conference and has done a fantastic job. 

These are stats after last season.  Both Martin and Pel are in their 4th seasons with their teams, and Martin clearly has KSU better off again this season. 

18-12
22-10 (NCAA 1st Round)
21-14 (NCAA 1st Round)

61-36 (62.9%)

3 Years with Pelphrey

23-12 (NCAA 2nd Round)
14-16
14-18

51-46 (52.6%) -10.3%

17-12
15-13
23-12 (NIT 2nd Round)

55-37 (59.8%)

3 years with Martin

21-12 (NCAA 2nd Round)
22-12 (NIT 2nd Round)
29-7 (NCAA Elite Eight)

72-31 (69.9%) +10.1%

Recruiting classes with Michael Beasley, Bill Walker, Jacob Pullen, Dominique Sutton and transfer Denis Clemente tend to make coaches look good. 

JackJohnson

Quote from: nwarazfan on February 15, 2011, 02:17:10 pm
Recruiting classes with Michael Beasley, Bill Walker, Jacob Pullen, Dominique Sutton and transfer Denis Clemente tend to make coaches look good. 

sure does.  amazing that he can get that kind of talent to KSU.  Granted Beasley and Walker were LONG GONE when they were a few points away from the final 4 last year...

PoormansRobbyHampton

The Pel haters need to lay off the coach. Every team loses on the road, even Kansas. That was proven last night. Pel is as good as any coach in the country and when he finally gets his recruits and his system in place, well we just may challenge for 18 or 19 wins one day.

Iwastherein1969

February 15, 2011, 03:52:53 pm #16 Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 03:55:16 pm by Iwastherein1969
Quote from: PoormansRobbyHampton on February 15, 2011, 03:48:59 pm
The Pel haters need to lay off the coach. Every team loses on the road, even Kansas. That was proven last night. Pel is as good as any coach in the country and when he finally gets his recruits and his system in place, well we just may challenge for 18 or 19 wins one day.
just needs one more year, yet again and then one year from this date, if the Good Lord's willin' and the creeks don't rise, we'll all be saying the exact same thing...."will it go round in circles, will it fly high like a bird up in the sky.....
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

PoormansRobbyHampton

February 15, 2011, 04:00:25 pm #17 Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 04:04:46 pm by PoormansRobbyHampton
Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on February 15, 2011, 03:52:53 pm
just needs one more year, yet again and then one year from this date, if the Good Lord's willin' and the creeks don't rise, we'll all be saying the exact same thing...."will it go round in circles, will it fly high like a bird up in the sky.....

All these Pel excuses and reasons remind me of a joke I heard once (No clue where at).

You know why the Indian rain dance works, don't you? Because they don't stop dancing until it rains.

One of these years Pelphrey is going to catch lightning in a bottle and mess around and make a tournament without Stan Heath's players and everyone will go nuts. We've seen him coach with just as much talent and get out maneuvered more times than I can count.

That's what makes a great coach, what they can do with equal talent, everyone looks great with four 5* kids playing for them.

dhornjr1

Quote from: JackJohnson on February 15, 2011, 02:28:41 pm
sure does.  amazing that he can get that kind of talent to KSU.  Granted Beasley and Walker were LONG GONE when they were a few points away from the final 4 last year...

Of course, Beasley, Walker, Clemente, Pullen, and Sutton were all brought in by Bob Huggins. Granted, Martin did keep them from transferring.

JackJohnson

Quote from: dhornjr1 on February 15, 2011, 04:11:16 pm
Of course, Beasley, Walker, Clemente, Pullen, and Sutton were all brought in by Bob Huggins. Granted, Martin did keep them from transferring.

yes, but mcgruder, samuals and kelley were brought in by Martin, who was also the lead recruiter on Beasley and Walker - who again were not around for the Elite 8 run so i am not sure why they keep getting thrown out there when talking about his success as a coach

dhornjr1

Quote from: JackJohnson on February 15, 2011, 04:28:16 pm
yes, but mcgruder, samuals and kelley were brought in by Martin, who was also the lead recruiter on Beasley and Walker - who again were not around for the Elite 8 run so i am not sure why they keep getting thrown out there when talking about his success as a coach

It's kinda like how some Arkansas fans are convinced that Emeka Okafor was going to come to Arkansas if Nolan hadn't been fired. Okafor was already playing for Connecticut when Nolan was ousted but that doesn't stop them from arguing that he would have been a Hog. Some people have to embellish to make a point.

BigSexyHog

A memo from Long was sent out praising pel for playing the #1 team  (texass).   IMPROVEMENT BABY

FIRE BOTH OF THEM NOW
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

nwarazfan

Quote from: JackJohnson on February 15, 2011, 04:28:16 pm

Well they played for him.  They were around for a 21 win season and trip to the second round of the tournament.  Sutton, Clemente and Pullen played huge roles in K St making the Elite 8 last year.  If Martin continues to bring in talented players he'll continue winning.   
Quote from: dhornjr1 on February 15, 2011, 05:41:52 pm
It's kinda like how some Arkansas fans are convinced that Emeka Okafor was going to come to Arkansas if Nolan hadn't been fired. Okafor was already playing for Connecticut when Nolan was ousted but that doesn't stop them from arguing that he would have been a Hog. Some people have to embellish to make a point.

Considering Okafor never played for Arkansas it isn't like it at all. 

dhornjr1

Quote from: nwarazfan on February 15, 2011, 07:47:00 pm
Considering Okafor never played for Arkansas it isn't like it at all. 

Many people still have the misguided notion that Emeka Okafor would have come to Arkansas if Nolan had not been fired. Many people have the misguided belief that Frank Martin is the reason why Beasley, Walker, Pullen, Sutton and Clemente came to Kansas State. They came to play for Bob Huggins, not Frank Martin.

In both instances, these people use incorrect assumptions to "prove" whatever point they are trying to make.

JackJohnson

Quote from: JackJohnson on February 15, 2011, 01:53:55 pm

18-12
22-10 (NCAA 1st Round)
21-14 (NCAA 1st Round)

61-36 (62.9%)

3 Years with Pelphrey

23-12 (NCAA 2nd Round)
14-16
14-18

51-46 (52.6%) -10.3%

17-12
15-13
23-12 (NIT 2nd Round)

55-37 (59.8%)

3 years with Martin

21-12 (NCAA 2nd Round)
22-12 (NIT 2nd Round)
29-7 (NCAA Elite Eight)

72-31 (69.9%) +10.1%

bump to add in

77-62 W vs OU
61-57 W at Neb
80-70 W vs Mizzou
75-70 W at Tex

They are now sitting at 21-9 9-6 in the Big 12 with a home game vs Iowa St left to go.

If and when Pel ever leaves (which is looking like after next season at the earliest barring us losing out this year), we could do a LOT worse than Martin. 

At 44 years old and only making 1.2 mil per year, he is still young enough to not have hit his prime, yet not too green to worry about being a flop.  And at his current salary, we wouldn't have to break the bank to get him here either. 

Martin has recruited players from all over the country to Manhatten, KS. Anyone that can do what he has done at KSU given their facilities, tradition and tough conference competition would be hell on wheels at Ark...