Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Neon Deion Sanders HBCU Head Coaching Journey

Started by jbcarol, January 04, 2021, 05:56:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Sanders reportedly offered Power 5 job

QuoteFeldman is reporting that the Jackson State coach has been offered a head coaching position at Colorado
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Sanders reportedly deciding between 3 FBS head coaching jobs

QuoteThe biggest job openings on the coaching carousel have been filled, with Hugh Freeze getting the Auburn job, Matt Rhule getting the Nebraska job, and Luke Fickell moving from Cincinnati to Wisconsin.

The next domino to drop appears as if it might be Deion Sanders:

Fox 13:
Deion Sanders has been telling recruits he will be at a school on Sunday. Decision appears to be down to Colorado, Cincinnati and USF.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Sanders cancels postgame presser, sets team meeting on campus amid Colorado reports

Quotet was first reported by Pete Thamel that Jackson State head coach and former NFL star Deion Sanders would be taking the head coaching job at Colorado. The original report said that it would be revealed after the Tigers' SWAC Championship game against Southern.

Jackson State beat Southern 43-24 Saturday, but Sanders did something a bit unorthodox immediately following. Coach Prime canceled his postgame media availability and instead set up a team meeting at a "location on campus."

Tigers are set to take on NC Central in the Cricket Celebration Bowl in Atlanta on Dec. 17.

jbcarol

From getting his money and jewelry stolen during his first game, to amputation, to a plea for potable water, the journey's over

OldCoot

Quote from: jbcarol on December 04, 2022, 09:47:52 am

From getting his money and jewelry stolen during his first game, to amputation, to a plea for potable water, the journey's over

So what happens to the #1 QB he landed at Jackson State?

jbcarol

AL.com sports
@aldotcomSports
·
1h
Deion Sanders tells Colorado players to hit portal: 'I'm bringing my luggage with me, and it's Louis'

jbcarol

Sanders' first team meeting at Colorado becomes tense, reality series drama

QuoteBOULDER — New Colorado head football coach Deion Sanders met his new players for the first time Sunday and told them exactly what he would do to them.

It wasn't nice. He said that some of them would be replaced. He told them they should get ready to find new teams and take the transfer portal out of town.

He also said he would try to make them quit.

And he did it all on camera, with a video of it posted on YouTube later via his son, Deion Jr.

jbcarol

Sanders waste no time on recruiting trail, flips 2025 WR

QuoteWatkins is a 5-10, 172-pound wide receiver prospect from Fort Myers, Florida.

He had previously made a verbal commitment to A&M but now intends to head to Boulder to play for Sanders.

jbcarol

On3@On3sports
·
2m
Deion Sanders parted ways today with all of the coaches from the previous Colorado staff aside from Darian Hagan, sources tell @mzenitz. First reported by @brianhowell33.

Hagan's role moving forward is unclear.

Story: https://on3.com/college/colorado-buffaloes/news/deion-sanders-parts-way-with-most-of-previous-colorado-coaching-staff

jbcarol

On3
@On3sports
·
40m
🚨BREAKING🚨 Colorado CB Kaylin Moore has entered the NCAA transfer portal, per @mzenitz.

More: https://on3.com/transfer-portal/news/colorado-buffaloes-cornerback-kaylin-moore-entered

jbcarol

On3@On3sports
·
1h
🚨BREAKING🚨 Colorado OL Austin Johnson has officially entered the NCAA transfer portal, according to @mzenitz.

More: https://on3.com/transfer-portal/news/colorado-ol-austin-johnson-enters-the-ncaa-transfer-portal

jbcarol

Matt Zenitz
@mzenitz
·
40m
LSU associate director of player personnel Corey Phillips has been hired as Deion Sanders' director of player personnel at Colorado, sources tell @on3sports

OldCoot

I don't see how Colorado won't be a force next season.

jbcarol

Matt Zenitz
@mzenitz
·
4h
Deion Sanders is set to add another SEC staffer to his recruiting staff at Colorado.

Vanderbilt associate director of high school scouting Darrius Darden-Box is expected to be hired as Colorado's director of recruiting, sources tell @on3sports.

jbcarol

On3 Recruits@On3Recruits
·
16h
🚨BREAKING🚨4-star RB Dylan Edwards has committed to Colorado.

More from @Hayesfawcett3: https://on3.com/college/colorado-buffaloes/news/four-star-rb-dylan-edwards-commits-to-colorado

Colorado has 13 hard commits (none harder than Edwards) in a '23 class now ranked 57th.

jbcarol

SDS Mailbag: Best musical CFB traditions, SEC coaches on hot seat entering 2023 and Deion Sanders' first year

QuoteHow many wins will Deion Sanders have in his first year at Colorado?

Expectations will have to be tempered for the Buffaloes in 2023, as they face a very tough test in Week 1. They'll head to Fort Worth to take on a TCU program that made the College Football Playoff this year.

Then they host Nebraska and Colorado State the next 2 weeks. That's certainly no joke of a nonconference schedule.

As far as Pac-12 play is concerned, the dates haven't been determined, but the Buffaloes host USC and have road games at Oregon, UCLA and Utah. Those are 4 incredibly difficult games.

Even a 7-5 record would be a monumental task for Coach Prime in 2023. For a school that finished 1-11 in 2022, though, even getting to 5-7 would be a great first season for the new coach.

That's my prediction, a 5-7 record

jbcarol

Travis Hunter drew headlines a year ago when the 5-star cornerback recruit flipped from Florida State to Jackson State and created attention for Deion Sanders

Sanders has taken the job at Colorado, and Hunter transferred with him

FSU is in the news

Quote"FSU called before I hit the portal."

--Hunter

Tampering has become an issue across college football, as multiple ACC coaches, from Pitt's Pat Narduzzi and North Carolina's Mack Brown, have alleged tampering with UNC QB Drake Maye. Narduzzi even went as far as to say multiple other programs offered Maye $5 million to transfer, while Brown wouldn't speak to details like that.

jbcarol

Wes Rucker
@wesrucker247
·
2h
So fascinated to see how this turns out in Boulder.

jbcarol

On3
@On3sports
·
9h
Colorado will win ___ games in 2023?  :hmmm:

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Quote from: jbcarol on January 26, 2023, 10:05:29 pmOn3
@On3sports
·
9h

Maybe 3 or 4.  Maybe 1 or 0
Let's make some waves.

OldCoot

Quote from: jbcarol on January 26, 2023, 10:05:29 pmOn3
@On3sports
·
9h

I think they will make a bowl. 6.

jbcarol

On3
@On3sports
·
34m
Colorado will have a new look next season after bringing in 27 players via the Transfer Portal under Coach Prime🦬👀

https://on3.com/transfer-portal/news/colorado-transfer-portal-team-breakdown

Had given the signal to many to not let the door hit them on the way out of his first team meeting.

jbcarol

Deion Sanders 'ashamed' of NFL; Here's why

QuoteSanders was frustrated by the NFL Draft over the weekend.

The former Jackson State coach tweeted Saturday that he was "ashamed" of NFL teams.

Why?

Only one HBCU player was drafted this year: Isaiah Bolden.

Bolden, a cornerback and returner for Jackson State, was selected by the New England Patriots in the seventh round (245th overall) on Saturday.

"So proud is you @isaiahbolden23 You deserved to be drafted much higher but I'm truly proud of u," he tweeted. "I know how much u want this. I'm ashamed of the 31 other @nfl teams that couldn't find draft value in ALL of the talented HBCU players & we had 3 more draft worthy players at JSU."

jbcarol

Deion Sanders, Colorado suffer embarrassing loss to Stanford with second-half collapse
Sydney Hunte | 1 MINUTE AGO

Wreck
@jbcarol 's Week 8 Pick'Em

QuoteSanders and Colorado looked to have a win against Stanford in the bag on Friday in a game that was the definition of #Pac12AfterDark.

The Buffs led 29-0 with just under 3 minutes in the 3rd quarter. But Stanford rattled off 26 unanswered points, and suddenly, a 29-point Buffs lead was a 3-point Cardinal deficit with 2-and-a-half minutes played in the 4th.

Colorado stretched the lead back to 10, but a Stanford TD with 5 minutes left plus a Joshua Karty field goal with no time left sent it into overtime, where the Buffs found the end zone on their opening possession. But Stanford tied it up on the ensuing drive

The Buffs, on the 1st possession of the 2nd overtime, had a 3rd-and-goal from the Stanford 2, but Shedeur Sanders threw an interception in the end zone. That set up Karty's 31-yarder to claim an improbable win for the Cardinal.

ESPN Stats & Info

@ESPNStatsInfo
·
Follow
A couple minutes into the 3rd quarter last night, Colorado converted a 3rd & 2 for a first down while holding a 29-0 lead.

ESPN Analytics gave them a 99.8% chance to win at that point.

Instead, the Buffs suffered their largest blown lead in program history, losing in 2OT.

Time to update the model :hmmm:

jbcarol

Deion Sanders critical of Shedeur Sanders following OT interception vs. Stanford

QuoteColorado and Stanford were tied at 43 in double overtime Friday night when Buffaloes quarterback Shedeur Sanders made a critical mistake.

On third-and-goal from the 2, Sanders took the snap and tried to find an open receiver. He continued to backpedal waiting for someone to break free and eventually threw a pass up for grabs that was intended for two-way star Travis Hunter.

Instead, the pass was intercepted by Alaka'i Gilman, and Stanford kicked a field goal moments later to secure the win.

Colorado head coach Deion Sanders:

"First of all, he should've never thrown the ball. He should've never thrown the ball," Deion Sanders said. "Just give us another down, let's kick the field goal. Stay in it."

There was no one open on the play, due in part to a pair of Colorado receivers running into each other during a crossing route. Still, Deion Sanders said Shedeur Sanders should've thrown the ball away instead of forcing it into traffic.

"I don't know if they played it on a replay to show what happened with the receivers on that play," Deion Sanders said. "Something happened on that play that shouldn't have happened. He should've never thrown the ball, though."

Deion Sanders shares how Colorado team will move forward from loss to Stanford

"We have no choice but to go forward, that's life," Sanders said.

jbcarol

Deion Sanders on Saturday Night Live? Weekend update segment spoofs Colorado coach
Keith Farner | 1 MINUTE AGO

QuoteDeion Sanders himself didn't make it on Saturday Night Live, but Kenan Thompson made sure he was there in spirit.

"We just keep winning man, every game, every minute," he said. "We winning in life."

Except he was corrected to note that the Buffaloes are actually 4-3 this season.

"Look at me, man," Sanders said. "What about me makes you think that I care about what you think about me? You don't understand that my team has it all, man. Coaching? Genius. Offense? explosive. Defense? Trying. It's a complete package, man."

jbcarol

Deion Sanders went portal shopping for four transfer offensive linemen, but what is Colorado actually getting in its latest commits?

By Jesse Simonton

QuoteDeion Sanders wasn't lying.

Less than a week ago, Coach Prime went on a media blitz telling several outlets that he was confident in Colorado's ability to land multiple offensive linemen from the transfer portal.

"I am in the portal like like I'm not hard to find, I'm not hard to find and guess what I'm finding? Lineman!" Sanders said.

"You guys watched us play what did you say, if they had some of those guys, they would be right there guess what today is—portal day and I'm going get those things you said I need."

Well, the Buffs exited the first weekend of the 2024 Transfer Portal window with a herd of new linemen —

jbcarol

Deion Sanders updates rankings of his children

by Dan Morrison

The situation is fluid

Quote"Like right now. Right now, I'm gonna throw Shilo at number one. Shilo's been consistent, he's balling. He's been balling, man.

"He just called me, they're in Paris right now at the fashion show...So, three of my boys out there. Two of them, Bucky's filming everything. Shedeur and Shilo are walking in the fashion show in Paris right now. Matter of fact, they're probably walking right now. So, Shilo has been balling and he never usually claims the number one spot because he does something crazy to get on my nerves but he is that guy right now."

Shilo Sanders is a defensive back at Colorado, having previously played for his father at Jackson State...

"Number two would probably be Deiondra. Yeah. She's the number two right now. She's consistent and she listens when she asks me for advice about this and that. Number three has to be Shedeur. No. no. Bucky. Bucky's three. Bucky keep me laced because he's making some heck of a YouTube money. He keeps me laced. He's killing it.

"Then Shedeur, then Bossy [Shelomi], then Travis. If I put Travis in front of one of the Sanders, they will cuss me out. Bossy, my daughter, she plays basketball here. She just walked in here a minute ago. I know she wanted to hold something but I had people in there so she couldn't ask them in front of everybody because I know she wants bars, 'Dad, you got any money?' 'Nope. I ain't got any money.'"

Travis Hunter is a great player who Deion Sanders clearly cares about. However, it does seem like it would take a lot for him to ever pass one of Sanders' children.

"So, that's how I rank them right now, but it's continually changing."

jbcarol

Report: Colorado football self-reports minor NCAA violations from Year 1 under Deion Sanders

by:
Matt Connolly

QuoteColorado has self-reported recruiting violations from Year 1 of the Deion Sanders era, according to a report from USA Today.

There were 11 minor violations in total from the time Sanders was hired last December, according to the report. None are expected to lead to any serious penalties, according to USA Today.

The violations included dealings with the transfer portal, social media posts (including Deion Sanders' Instagram) and more.

As USA Today notes, the violations are common and occur in most college athletics departments around the country.

One such violation occurred on May 30 when Colorado hosted a post-graduate camp open to recent high school graduates and players in the transfer portal. However, seven attendees were not "active" in the transfer portal, according to USA Today. That is an NCAA violation.

Colorado imposed a recruiting ban from all recruiting activity for two weeks as punishment and also had a one-day ban from transfer portal recruiting activity in December, per the report.

Also last May, Deion Sanders was hosting an Instagram Live when a recruit was featured in the live stream, per the report. All Colorado coaches were pulled from the road for a week as penalty.

Another violation occurred on Oct. 13 before a Colorado game against Stanford. According to USA Today, a recruit on an unofficial visit experienced a gameday simulation when he ran out on the field with the team before the game.

Colorado had other gameday simulation violations, social media infractions and transfer portal issues.

Buffaloes linebackers coach Andre Hart was also tabbed for a recruiting violation. According to USA Today, Hart was evaluating a recruit at a high school spring game on May 19 when a recruit asked to take a picture with him. The photo was then posted to social media by the recruit. It was determined that Hart had "impermissible contact with a prospective student-athlete prior to the first permissible date to have in-person contact."

Another violation involved strangely enough — yoga.

jbcarol

Washington transfer DL BJ Green commits to Colorado

by:
Grant Grubbs

QuoteOn Dec. 17, Arizona State defensive lineman BJ Green committed to Washington. However, after head coach Kalen DeBoer left the program to take over at Alabama, Green re-opened his recruitment. Now, Green has committed to Colorado.

Colorado continues to build strong defense
Green is only the latest player to join Colorado's monstrous incoming transfer class. The group includes four former four-star prospects and 17 former three-star recruits. Green is one of seven defensive linemen Colorado has added in the portal. The program has also picked up two EDGEs.

jbcarol

Deion Sanders explains why he doesn't do in-home visits with recruits

by:
Keegan Pope

QuoteDeion Sanders has made no bones that he's going to do things differently on the recruiting trail as Colorado's head coach.

And the Buffs' second-year head coach has not shied away from that —

Sanders had not done a single in-home visit with a recruit, something head coaches typically do right before the Early Signing Period in December and then again before the second signing period in February.

Sanders, however, doesn't think there's value in that for his program. And he believes parents of recruits feel that way as well.

"I really truly in all my heart believe, parents don't want me at their house," he said to reporters in response to the article on Wednesday. "They want to come see my house. They want to see how I live, how I get down. They want to see what I've got going on, what God has done in my life."

jbcarol

Deion Sanders explanation for not making in-home, high school visits was a Prime Time concoction

by:
Jesse Simonton

QuoteEver since Deion Sanders became a college football head coach, first at Jackson State and now Colorado, 'Coach Prime' has considered himself a trailblazer who walks to the beat of his own drum.

Sanders does things his way because he can, and sometimes has to.

At least that's the story he continues to sell, anyway. 

As On3's Phillip Dukes told Andy Staples, "It's always been the Deion Show — from the highlights, to the high-steps."

Sometimes it's fun as hell. Other times, the crowing is candor only in the eyes of Deion.

jbcarol

Colorado reshuffles NIL market with launch of 5430 Alliance

by:
Pete Nakos

QuoteShortly after Deion Sanders was named coach at Colorado, multiple boosters started to coordinate plans for an NIL collective to service the Buffaloes.

The nonprofit Buffs4Life NIL Collective launched in October 2022, trying to service all of Colorado athletics. But for Sanders to find success in Boulder, there was a consensus among top donors that he would need a fully-functioning collective.

This past September long-time donor and Colorado alumnus Eric Belcher and a group of fellow donors created the 5430 Foundation. Five months later, consolidation has come to create a unified plan for Colorado athletics, but more specifically, Buffaloes football. The 5430 Alliance combines the Buffs4Life and 5430 Foundation efforts to assist all 350-plus Colorado athletes.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Sanders mocks critics

Shedeur Sanders blasts ex-Colorado player
Paul Harvey |

QuoteDeion Sanders and Shedeur Sanders are hoping to turn things around at Colorado after a 4-8 season. However, Coach Prime's methods at Colorado have been questioned

Xavier Smith, a former defensive back for Colorado, recently shared part of his story with "The Athletic." According to Smith, Coach Prime told the player he should enter the transfer portal, something that bothered Smith so early in Sanders' tenure.

"We sat on the sofa, and he's talking to us, but he's not even looking at us," Smith said. "I'm looking Coach Kelly dead in his eyes. (Sanders) said he felt like I should hit the portal. He didn't want me to waste a year thinking I could earn a spot.

"I was actually getting mad, like tears coming to my eyes. Because, bro, you never even tried to get to know me."

@DeionSanders
·
Follow
He will be a top 5 pick. Where yo son going ? Lololol I got time today. Lololol

By now, the exodus from Colorado during Sanders' first spring with the program is legendary.

Follow Shedeur Sanders
@ShedeurSanders
·

Ion even remember him tbh. Bro had to be very mid at best

Follow @DeionSanders
·

He will be a top 5 pick. Where yo son going ? Lololol I got time today. Lololol

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Quote from: jbcarol on May 01, 2024, 03:26:27 pmSanders mocks critics

Shedeur Sanders blasts ex-Colorado player
Paul Harvey |

Coach Prime is what he's always been. About nothing but himself. I don't have a problem with it.  I just wish he would admit it and quit trying to play the hero for the kids card.
Let's make some waves.