Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Filling vacancy on staff next mission for Heath (Article)

Started by The_Bionic_Pig, May 04, 2006, 09:34:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

hogfan064

How about we just create a vacancy at the head coaching position

oldfart

I agree to some extent to having "veteran" assistants.. .but one thing for sure is we want to make sure someone we hire is an outstanding recruiter. 

pseudorabies

I am glad to see that Heath is stepping outside of his comfort zone and shooting for the stars with the search for a new assitant coach.  ::)

SultanofSwine

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: oldfart on May 04, 2006, 09:52:27 am
I agree to some extent to having "veteran" assistants.. .but one thing for sure is we want to make sure someone we hire is an outstanding recruiter. 

The last four recruiting classes that Garland was involved in at MSU were ranked among the top 10 nationally.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

SultanofSwine

Getting sufficient talent is not the problem, coaching the available talent is...

hogfan064

Glad to see we're hiring a guy who had a great run as a head coach at Cleveland State. 

Florida hires former ACC coaches as its assistants(Larry Shyatt), Arkansas hires Cleveland State coaches

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: hogfan064 on May 04, 2006, 10:07:05 am
Glad to see we're hiring a guy who had a great run as a head coach at Cleveland State. 

Florida hires former ACC coaches as its assistants(Larry Shyatt), Arkansas hires Cleveland State coaches

Actually Larry Shyatt was a Assistant Coach at Cleveland State from 1976-82.  ;)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

hogfan064

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on May 04, 2006, 10:10:50 am
Quote from: hogfan064 on May 04, 2006, 10:07:05 am

Actually Larry Shyatt was a Assistant Coach at Cleveland State from 1976-82.  ;)

Shhhh.  Don't tell them that. 

Shyatt was also did a good job at Wyoming before going to Clemson where everyone but Rick Barnes has failed

BPPig

Charlie Baker!! I would love to see him on that staff. That man can flat out recruit, talk, etc. He also has a tremendous eye for talent, both hits and misses. He is also a former great AR HS BB player and is in the same age range as most of the HS coaches. I think Stan is too hard headed to pull the trigger on that one but it could be a really wonderful hire.

BTW, I want a coach to recruit first and foremost. I coached HS football for two years and never lost a game. We didn't have a playoff system then and I am a perfect 18-0 as a head coach. The FB team had lost the first two games in my first season when I was a new teacher. My only real background was having a grandfather that was a college scout and going to FB games every weekend since I was 6. The old coach got arrested and I was the only one stupid enough or broke enough to take the job. However, that same day as it turned out Goldkist moved in two new families. The school would be about a 3A in AR. One family had 5 sons and 2 were  Jr. 6' 5" 250 corn feed Nebraska schoolboys that ended up signing with D1 schools. The best two offensive linemen before were 180 and now they were the little guys on the line. The other family had a Jr. RB that ran a legit 4.6 at around 215. He was such a mean SOB that he is still in the federal pen in Atlanta. He could sure run though. My point in all this is one thing. Talent is what wins most ballgames. The team had definite mental challenges as any rural MS HS can have. Trouble with the snap count was taken care off by going on 2 every time. We had 5 plays. Run R, L (90% of all calls), reverse R & L, and Bootleg. I Be a Offensive Genius. LOL
This game is all about talent. We need recruiters. Send the big men to camp. They can learn enough to work on for the year.  Coaching is overrated. Players win games, not coaches. Coaches can lose them but I don't see Stan doing that like HDN. I sure hope he gives CB a chance to recruit to a big time program because I think he can relate really well to today's athlete.

Dwight_K_Shrute

After reading the article I was thinking the same thing.  Do we need another midwestern Michigan State guy that thinks like Heath, and coaches like Heath and really won't bring anything new to the table.

Go for the younger guy with ties throughout the state and the South.  Get some new blood and energy.  Your Football counterpart was forced to do something similar with his OC.  If our AD gave a damn about basketball he would force you to do the same.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

oldfart

It is true that coaching once they get here is important and like many on here I dont think they have been getting it... but for dam sure you have to have the hosses to coach to really be great. you can coach up moderate talent but to really be at the top we have to get them here first...

zwhogfan

I would like to have Garland here. Two former head coaches as assistants on a staff sounds good to me. I am glad Heath isn't settling for pulling an assistant from somewhere else.

tophawg19

we need coaches we have recruiters . we need someone who can coach big men or someone who can work with the guards and develop shooters .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

The real Hogules

Quote from: tophawg19 on May 04, 2006, 07:51:33 pm
we need coaches we have recruiters . we need someone who can coach big men or someone who can work with the guards and develop shooters .

Just a heads up on your statement, shooters are not developed they are recruited.
Now, you can help a shooter improve his stroke, but either they're a shooter or they're not.
The Razorbacks have had plenty of scorers, but very few (if any) true shooters on the team since Stan Heath's arrival.
And put me down as against the hiring of Charles Baker.
When Baker received Wally Hall's stamp of approval, it was like the kiss of death as far as I'm concerned.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

dana caldwell

i'm betting this is a done deal. if so, same ol', same ol'.

sorenson always has been out of his league and bet here is baker would be, too.

i, too, would like to see somebody from  the south hired. someone with SEC experience, preferably.

this "michigan state south" experiment isn't working.

pseudorabies

Quote from: dana caldwell on May 05, 2006, 07:14:05 am
i'm betting this is a done deal. if so, same ol', same ol'.

sorenson always has been out of his league and bet here is baker would be, too.

i, too, would like to see somebody from  the south hired. someone with SEC experience, preferably.

this "michigan state south" experiment isn't working.

Its anything but a done deal.

dana caldwell

i don't know, pseudo. they worked together (at the god of all basketball factories, apparently, michigan state) and he made the trip to fayetteville. it wasn't just for a free lunch.

stan wouldn't have brot him in just for an interview. they know each other and their styles.  heck, when i was doing management crapola, i hired folks i knew, best i could. u know what to expect. i'm betting the visit was for a look around and offer.

pseudorabies

I have a feeling the bar is going to have be set higher.