Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Phillip's SEC Pre-Season Picks

Started by Cure, May 03, 2006, 04:48:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Cure

Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

no one

Arkansas is listed to win at least 8 games and be right there for a shot at the championship?  I don't know about that.  Let's hope. 

Cure

Everybody is finally starting to become of aware of "The Storm" that is brewing on the Hill  8) :razorback:
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

HokieHawg

whoa...we're ranked 3rd in the SEC? Love the props but don't know if that is accurate at all right now.

HoggusMaximus

Quoteif the passing game can complement a great ground game

read the fine print guys

VoR

I have said all along anything less then 8 wins (barring major injuries) should be unacceptable.
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

hogfan064

The magazine predicts us to finish 2nd in the west behind Auburn. 

Tomhog™

I, for one, believe we can this year.  We've got to get out of the mentality that Arkanasas doesn't have the ability to have a vertical game.  Come fall, we will have coaches, WR's, and QB's that will be able to do it.  I think 8 wins is a good mark...

tulsahog36

I agree that this years team will be good enough to win 9 or 10 games.   But I can not get to excited over the cover of that magazine.   They also had a Kentucky player on the cover, not exactly the kind of company we want to be with.

hogsNbeer

Quote from: Cure on May 03, 2006, 05:43:17 pm
Everybody is finally starting to become of aware of "The Storm" that is brewing on the Hill  8) :razorback:

Huge storm a brewing is right..... Come Sept 2nd it hits......and it hits hard in the form of a TROJAN HORSE....

Corkscrew Johnson

I don't care if this is an overstatement...at least there is some excitement back in our program.  I've gotten so tired over the past 6 years reading about our annual fight with Missy St. and Missy for 4th in the West. 

Pragmatic PiG

May 04, 2006, 04:25:56 pm #11 Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 06:41:59 pm by Pragmatic PiG
nutt isn't liking these predictions, anything that would threaten raising the expectation level of the hog faithful is severely frowned upon in his camp

LA HAWG

Nutt-factor, nothing else needs to be said.

TechHawg

That's great to be getting good pub from national media.  Let's hope their prediction comes true.

zwhogfan

I hope the prediction comes true also. We have all the talent in the world. Our only big question mark will  be QB, and if Mitch can come in and adjust to the speed of the game, then we will be set there next year. We could easily win 8 or 9 games if we play up to our potential. However, if we struggle, I think it's goodbye Houston and hello Butch.

TechHawg

Quote from: zwhogfan on May 04, 2006, 05:47:51 pm
I hope the prediction comes true also. We have all the talent in the world. Our only big question mark will  be QB, and if Mitch can come in and adjust to the speed of the game, then we will be set there next year. We could easily win 8 or 9 games if we play up to our potential. However, if we struggle, I think it's goodbye Houston and hello Butch.

Agreed.

Ross U (HDHF)

May 04, 2006, 05:55:59 pm #16 Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 06:00:03 pm by HopelesslyDevotedHogFan
Quote from: Pragmatic PiG on May 04, 2006, 04:25:56 pm
nutt isn't liking these predictions, anything that would theaten raising the expectation level of the hog faithful is severely frowned upon in his camp

Yeah isn't Nutt the one who said something to the effect of "As long as we do better than the media picks us, we're doin ok." ? Well doesn't this mean he has to win the west now? I think it should mean that, so we either win the west, or get butch.  Win-win.

As to the article: Three of the top 4 teams are from the west.  Now that's something new.

The Pulse

I'd say we were 4th instead of 3rd. Here's my predictions.

East
1. Florida
2. South Carolina
3. Tennessee
4. Georgia
5. Kentucky
6. Vanderbilt

West
1. LSU
2. Auburn
3. Arkansas
4. Alabama
5. Ole Miss
6. Mississippi St.

I'm no expert but that's what im thinking. The West is cleary the more dominant of the two.

southeasthog

Quote from: hogsNbeer on May 04, 2006, 02:23:59 pm

Huge storm a brewing is right..... Come Sept 2nd it hits......and it hits hard in the form of a TROJAN HORSE....
You would love that wouldn't you Butch.

PorkSoda

I'll tell you what,  we were 3 field goals away from being 7-4 instead of 4-7.   Plus we will be minus balseiro the number two choker under robert johnson.  and HDN won't be calling the plays, Gus will.   Add in returning almost all of our starters, and some quality recruits...Don't be suprised if we do win 8.  

I think that Gus was appauled at the overall conditioning of our team in the spring, but now everyone knows what Gus expects from his players and assistant coaches and we will see a vastly improved team in the fall.  I am sure mustain will get a crash course in SEC speed via Herrings defense.  I think the Hogs will be sleeper team this year in the SEC.  Nutt may only want 6 wins, but I think Gus plays to win EVERY game.  He brings a work ethic that has been lacking in Hog football for a while.  I can't wait for next year.  Wooo Pig Sooiiieee!

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

TechHawg

Quote from: PowderHawg on May 04, 2006, 06:08:56 pm
I'll tell you what,  we were 3 field goals away from being 7-4 instead of 4-7.   Plus we will be minus balseiro the number two choker under robert johnson.  and HDN won't be calling the plays, Gus will.   Add in returning almost all of our starters, and some quality recruits...Don't be suprised if we do win 8.  

I think that Gus was appauled at the overall conditioning of our team in the spring, but now everyone knows what Gus expects from his players and assistant coaches and we will see a vastly improved team in the fall.  I am sure mustain will get a crash course in SEC speed via Herrings defense.  I think the Hogs will be sleeper team this year in the SEC.  Nutt may only want 6 wins, but I think Gus plays to win EVERY game.  He brings a work ethic that has been lacking in Hog football for a while.  I can't wait for next year.  Wooo Pig Sooiiieee!

Nutt wants 13 wins, just like every coach and fan.

VoR

Quote from: PowderHawg on May 04, 2006, 06:08:56 pm
I'll tell you what,  we were 3 field goals away from being 7-4 instead of 4-7.   Plus we will be minus balseiro the number two choker under robert johnson.  and HDN won't be calling the plays, Gus will.   Add in returning almost all of our starters, and some quality recruits...Don't be surprised if we do win 8.  

I think that Gus was appalled at the overall conditioning of our team in the spring, but now everyone knows what Gus expects from his players and assistant coaches and we will see a vastly improved team in the fall.  I am sure mustain will get a crash course in SEC speed via Herrings defense.  I think the Hogs will be sleeper team this year in the SEC.  Nutt may only want 6 wins, but I think Gus plays to win EVERY game.  He brings a work ethic that has been lacking in Hog football for a while.  I can't wait for next year.  Wooo Pig Sooiiieee!

Don't be surprised? I'm sorry, but I expect and will not accept less then 8 wins this season, anything less then 8 wins and I will have a BD 07 like trailer, only mine will say "Anyone but HDN in 07". If we cannot produce at least 8 wins then someone needs to have cajones to say "Houston, we thought you were the man to take our program to the next level 9 years ago, apparently we were wrong, so we are making a change. Good luck, and watch that door knob there on your way out".
From BC comic.

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

texasssucks

If we Don't win 8 HDN needs to be gone and bring in Butch.

Oklahawg

Quote from: hogsNbeer on May 04, 2006, 02:23:59 pm

...and HDN turns to the staff and says, "now, Gallihad, You, Vladimir and I will jump out of the rabbit..."

Sorry I have this mental image of HDN trying to surprise USC by not showing his offense on ESPN and thought of Monty Python's "Trojan Rabbit". Your statement reminded me...
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

pigture perfect

I would say at least 8, but I'm not convinced Butch is the man to replace him. Tuberville should have been hired to begin with, and I believe he is ready to pull a Ken Hatfield like coup on Auburn for what they did to him a couple of years ago.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Landonhog

Why is everyone soooo afraid to believe!!!  This is the first season we've had any major changes in the past 8 years, but everyone keeps saying "well, I had my hopes up before, but blah blah blah".  THIS IS NOT THE SAME AS ANY YEAR WE'VE HAD IN THE PAST DECADE!  Don't be afraid to put yourself in a vulnerable position!  Just believe!!!!  What's the honor or pride in being able to say "I told you so"??? This seems to be everyones number one goal in life these days!  WAKE UP! 

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Landonhog on May 04, 2006, 11:21:05 pm
Why is everyone soooo afraid to believe!!!  This is the first season we've had any major changes in the past 8 years, but everyone keeps saying "well, I had my hopes up before, but blah blah blah".  THIS IS NOT THE SAME AS ANY YEAR WE'VE HAD IN THE PAST DECADE!  Don't be afraid to put yourself in a vulnerable position!  Just believe!!!!  What's the honor or pride in being able to say "I told you so"??? This seems to be everyones number one goal in life these days!  WAKE UP! 

I told you guys someone would write something like this.  I knew I'd be right.
Retired Radio Host

Richard_white

Quote from: pigture perfect on May 04, 2006, 11:11:21 pm
I would say at least 8, but I'm not convinced Butch is the man to replace him. Tuberville should have been hired to begin with, and I believe he is ready to pull a Ken Hatfield like coup on Auburn for what they did to him a couple of years ago.

Come into the light.

Landonhog

Quote from: uglyuncle on May 04, 2006, 11:37:00 pm

I told you guys someone would write something like this.  I knew I'd be right.

Well put uncle, well put!   Ha!

VoR

I'm not afraid to believe, I believe that if we don't get at least 8 victories this year that HDN should either step down gracefully or be replaced.

I work in sales, no, I am not on commission, but I do have a quota, it's not a quota that is written in stone that I HAVE TO MEET each and every week, but I better meet it more times then not, and over the course of a month or quarter it better average out to meet or exceed that quota. Now if I consistently exceed these expectations I expect a raise, however if I consistently fail to meet my quota I fully expect to be shown the door.

In the 8 years that HDN has been here most people would say that HDN has met or exceeded expectations 3 times, there's been about 3 years where you can say that were marginally close and you and accept and deal with (bad breaks, bad days, luck of the draw, whatever), and then these last 2 years that he has had a free pass. I got news, his 2 year free pass is over, his attaboy's have all dried up and blown away, and the ahhhhchit's have built up to the point you can't continue to ignore them because the stench of the chit is getting strong. I'm not saying fire HDN by no stretch of the imagination, but what I am saying is this is the year HDN needs to clean up the mess or someone needs to say enough is enough and hire a stablehand that can consistently keep a clean and healthful stable.
From BC comic.

hogfan064

Quote from: pigture perfect on May 04, 2006, 11:11:21 pm

So you think Tubberville will go to a program that completely hates him, get fired there and then go on to coach a no name school in Texas?

hogtheball

8 wins should be the MINIMUM acceptable number this year.  We have 4 automatics on the schedule in a 12 game season.  That means we would go 4-4 for the rest with a favorable home field advantage in the tough ones.  Anything less and HDN should apologize for his failure and leave.  Anything more, and he should be shooting for a BCS in '07-'08.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

PAHog

We're ranked 3rd in the SEC?  Since when did they start letting any ol' crackhead publish preseason mags.  I guarantee Athlon and Street & Smiths won't have us ranked that high.  Probably not even 3rd in the West.

I'm not saying we don't have the team to be 3rd in the SEC.  I'm just saying that Nutt will find a way to screw it up.  I expect an especially disappointing season from the special teams now that he has more of a role in that department.
Darksider Since October 2003...We are victorious!

werehog

I think they're too conservative. I won't be surprised if we go 9-3. I think we have an outside shot at 10-2. We play LSU in War Memorial and a victory there is well in the realm of possibility. IMO our major two stumbling blocks to a really great season are (1) Southern Cal and (2) Auburn.