Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs Baseball

Started by TulsaHawg, May 03, 2006, 03:33:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TulsaHawg

Ok, we are coming down the stretch run for the season.

Again last night we had 4 errors, struck out too much, left too many men on base, and gave up too many big hits.

Anyone have the stats from last season?  How do our batting and fielding figures compare?  Also, how do we compare with errors to last season?

ORU didn't have an error.  The number 14 team in the nation shouldn't be commiting 4 at this point in the season.

Good Hog crowd at Johnson Stadium last night.  Looked like we had as many, and maybe more fans there as did the Golden Eagles. The ORU radio guy said that it was by far their largest crowd of the season.

BIG series this weekend!!!

hogfan13

Friday has the best chance of rain. Mainly looks ok for Saturday

hogman64

2005---

Scott Hode...........144 assists..........15 errors
Clay Goodwin........ 129 assists..........13 errors

Matt Willard...........109 assists..........13 errors
Blake Parker............78  assists..........13 errors

and there lies a big part of this teams problems,maybe its not fair to throw Willard in with parker  as there isnt a big gap % wise of errors to chances when compared to Hode last year, but he has made some errors in crucial situations that have hurt badly..........you cant put all the blame here, of course, leaving men on base and  pitching problems can share, but the left side of the infield is not nearly what it was last year .. IMO

TulsaHawg

Quote from: hogman64 on May 03, 2006, 03:59:15 pm
2005---

and there lies a big part of this teams problems,maybe its not fair to throw Willard in with parker  as there isnt a big gap % wise of errors to chances when compared to Hode last year, but he has made some errors in crucial situations that have hurt badly..........you cant put all the blame here, of course, leaving men on base and  pitching problems can share, but the left side of the infield is not nearly what it was last year .. IMO

Those stats for last season are for the entire season, correct?

We still have 9 games left in the regular season.

hogman64

Quote from: TulsaHawg on May 03, 2006, 04:49:16 pm
Quote from: hogman64 on May 03, 2006, 03:59:15 pm
2005---

Those stats for last season are for the entire season, correct?

We still have 9 games left in the regular season.

Yes... I couldnt break out  a comparable point in the season from last  year,well I probably could have,  but I  dont think that needs to be done to tell the story....................

Pragmatic PiG

May 03, 2006, 05:05:50 pm #5 Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 06:03:57 pm by Pragmatic PiG
The bammers have only lost one SEC series this season, at LSU

In their past 15 ballgames, the bammers haven't scored less than 5 runs once, they scored 5 twice in that span in mid-week victories, besides that they have scored at least 6 in every SEC ball game the past 4 series

The hogs really need to not give anything to alabama i.e. walks or baserunners due to errors. Alabama has been taking advantage of opportunities all season, as good clubs do. Cutting down on K's and timely hitting would be nice this weekend for the hogs, which will hopefully lead to a series win

msudawgs64

Quote from: Fresh Legs on May 03, 2006, 05:11:08 pm
It just seems like the errors and strikeouts have come at more crucial times this year.  I don't follow the Diamond Hogs as closely as I do football and basketball but that's my .02 on the matter.

you are right, same with us as well though in our case it is pitching issues, which is never good.  Thing I found about baseball though is it is really a finiky game as far as streaks go, hitting, pitching, fielding, you name it, moreso than any other sport.  Hogs may be pressing at the plate which leads to more K's and more runners left on base, errors on the other hand are a bit different but one thing to do is see how many errors the Hogs have in home games versus road games, not all fields have been created equal, yes the standard shape and design is there but some have large slopes from the infield dirt to where the outfield starts, such as Alex Box which can eat up a player who has never played there before, small things that we don't really notice but the baseball screaming off a aluminum bat sure does.
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Feb. 20, 2009-a new era in MSU Baseball begins.

TulsaHawg

Here's something about ORU.....they beat OSU, and they beat Wichita State a lot worse than we did.  That 2nd pitcher they brought in last night sure seemed good.  I think he was the same one who stymied WSU.

rightdp

He wasn't that great for SEC standards.  We made him look like Roger Clemens.

TulsaHawg

Quote from: rightdp on May 03, 2006, 06:30:14 pm
He wasn't that great for SEC standards.  We made him look like Roger Clemens.

Well, I started to say perhaps the deal had a lot to do with our ineffective batting.  We made those Northern Colorado pitchers look like Cy Young Award winners, and they had ERA's over 9 and 10.

wincrimson

Quote from: Pragmatic PiG on May 03, 2006, 05:05:50 pm

In their past 15 ballgames, the bammers haven't scored less than 5 runs once, they scored 5 twice in that span in mid-week victories, besides that they have scored at least 6 in every SEC ball game the past 4 series

The hogs really need to not give anything to alabama i.e. walks or baserunners due to errors. Alabama has been taking advantage of opportunities all season, as good clubs do. Cutting down on K's and timely hitting would be nice this weekend for the hogs, which will hopefully lead to a series win

Word of advice: Emeel Salem needs to be intentionally walked as often as your boy Barry Bonds. The kid's reached base safely 18 times in 22 plate appearances last week over four games for a whopping .818 on-base mark. He registered 13 hits in 17 at bats (.765) as he scored 12 runs with 2 doubles, 2 triples and a home run. Salem scored the winning run in three games and ended the week by reaching base safely 11 consecutive times (6 hits, 4 walks, 1 HBP). The Bama record for consective times on base is 14, and the NCAA record is 18. Seriously, the Hogs will have a much better shot if they just put Salem on. He's the real deal.

Pragmatic PiG

Quote from: wincrimson on May 03, 2006, 07:34:52 pm

Word of advice: Emeel Salem needs to be intentionally walked as often as your boy Barry Bonds. The kid's reached base safely 18 times in 22 plate appearances last week over four games for a whopping .818 on-base mark. He registered 13 hits in 17 at bats (.765) as he scored 12 runs with 2 doubles, 2 triples and a home run. Salem scored the winning run in three games and ended the week by reaching base safely 11 consecutive times (6 hits, 4 walks, 1 HBP). The Bama record for consective times on base is 14, and the NCAA record is 18. Seriously, the Hogs will have a much better shot if they just put Salem on. He's the real deal.

Yeah, I have been following him a bit this year, and his last week earned him SEC player of the Week honors, deservedly so. I wouldn't walk him though, unless he is an important rbi situation with an unfavorable pitching match up for the hogs. He has swiped 25 bags, so a walk to him, say at the beginning of an inning could turn into a double, just like that, not to mention he isn't a home run hitter, although he did end a game last weekend with one. He has 2 overall now, but also 5 3B's and 12 2B's

bottom line: he will be a problem

Hawgzilla

We ain't skeered............ ::)

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: TulsaHawg on May 03, 2006, 03:33:15 pm

Again last night we had 4 errors, struck out too much, left too many men on base, and gave up too many big hits.

Anyone have the stats from last season?  How do our batting and fielding figures compare?  Also, how do we compare with errors to last season?

ORU didn't have an error.  The number 14 team in the nation shouldn't be commiting 4 at this point in the season.

Good Hog crowd at Johnson Stadium last night.  Looked like we had as many, and maybe more fans there as did the Golden Eagles. The ORU radio guy said that it was by far their largest crowd of the season.

Hint: Hogs are not the 14th best team in the nation.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

msudawgs64

May 04, 2006, 01:13:44 pm #14 Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 01:29:27 pm by msudawgs64

bullshite..difference between Barry Bonds and this guy is that you walk Bonds so he don't jack one on you, Salem is not a home run threat, hell a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then.  Here is what is going to happen..Schmidt and co. are going to make this guy earn getting on base and trust me, they ain't going to be pitching around him but will work the count on him and try to jam him up or in other words, they will pitch to him. All they have to do is watch any game film of him at bat and find his weak point, i.e. high and tight, low and outside, can he hit a curve, changeup, etc.  And even with your lifting of the SECSports.com writeup on him, what he did last week don't mean jack, hell Brian LaNinfa was a NPW the week before we played Arkansas and they pitched to him, he beat them once but they still won the series.  Also let's put this in perspective, he did this against UAB and Auburn, Auburn has a ERA of 4.97, good for last in the SEC as well as 182 BB on the year, also good for last in the SEC. UAB sits at 5.38 ERA and 252 BB on the year, a blind man could get on base against these two teams pitching.  Now don't get me wrong, Salem had an impressive week but don't get ahead of yourself and thinking that a kid with two total homeruns in 199 at bats is a threat, just the opposite, you don't want to walk him, he is a bigger threat on the basepaths, stealing 26 bases out of 33 chances, the only Bama player in double digit steals and attempts this year.  If anything you want to pitch around Kody Valverde, has 10 homers on the year but there is no reason to pitch around anyone if no one is on base, that would be stupid baseball, walk Salem to have Valverde or Bush jack one, um..no.  Never walk the leadoff batter to start the game, if DVH did that I would have to question his sanity. 
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

CharlieHog

The only time you see intentional walks in college is situational. You might see guys pitched around but it's pretty rare to see the four fingers go up to avoid a hitter.

heathshogs

That's because generally if you really had a guy that was that big of a threat he would have left for the big bucks out of High School. If he is a guy that develops in college, he's gone as a junior. I think intentionally walking a guy is a terrible idea in college or pros, but it's accepted practice. 
A ticket is not permission to be entertained. It's a license to go to work.--Hognoxious

msudawgs64

Quote from: CharlieHog on May 04, 2006, 02:45:45 pm
The only time you see intentional walks in college is situational. You might see guys pitched around but it's pretty rare to see the four fingers go up to avoid a hitter.

bingo..I think that was what I was thinking but was laughing too hard at the thought of DVH intentionally walking Salem so he would not get a single to post it...LOL

hogsanity

Quote from: HoginMemphis on May 04, 2006, 08:23:23 am

Something HIM and I actually agree on. Hogs will limp home.  may win 1 in the SEC tourney, will NOT host a regional, will not win the regional.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: hogsanity on May 04, 2006, 03:39:25 pm

Something HIM and I actually agree on. Hogs will limp home.  may win 1 in the SEC tourney, will NOT host a regional, will not win the regional.

This is getting overused. I bet there are a dozen posts in the last 10 days or so that say something like, "Hell is freezing over, I actually agree with HiM", or "something HiM and I actually agree on", or "I rarely agree with HiM but he's right on this."  When it starts becoming the rule rather than the exception, it is obvious that my opinions and thinking are not always off base.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Pragmatic PiG

Quote from: HoginMemphis on May 04, 2006, 03:45:56 pm

This is getting overused. I bet there are a dozen posts in the last 10 days or so that say something like, "Hell is freezing over, I actually agree with HiM", or "something HiM and I actually agree on", or "I rarely agree with HiM but he's right on this."  When it starts becoming the rule rather than the exception, it is obvious that my opinions and thinking are not always off base.

or maybe you are losing your touch  ;)

hogsanity

Quote from: Pragmatic PiG on May 04, 2006, 04:21:11 pm

At least HIM is not keep track of steroid boy's MR"S in his sig line. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Pragmatic PiG

Quote from: hogsanity on May 04, 2006, 04:23:11 pm
Quote from: Pragmatic PiG on May 04, 2006, 04:21:11 pm

At least HIM is not keep track of steroid boy's MR"S in his sig line. 

I was hoping that was bothering somebody

Don't fret, that chase will be over soon

hogsanity

What chase?  He is closing in on 2ND.  Since when do we celebrate that in baseball?  Records are made to be broken,  the record for MLB is 755. 

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: hogsanity on May 04, 2006, 04:33:46 pm
What chase?  He is closing in on 2ND.  Since when do we celebrate that in baseball?  Records are made to be broken,  the record for MLB is 755. 

Any of you ever see in person Hank Aaron hit a home run? I saw him hit one in Wrigley in '74. I was 12. It was #725. He, Bill Madlock and Rick Monday each hit one out on to Waverly that day. Cubs beat the Braves that game.

Pragmatic PiG

we don't but giants fans will celebrate what they want to, independent from the rest of the MLB, so all your precious little heads won't explode

As for me, I really don't care about the passing of another mortal on a list, winning is what I desire

Pragmatic PiG

Quote from: HoginMemphis on May 04, 2006, 04:37:12 pm

Any of you ever see in person Hank Aaron hit a home run? I saw him hit one in Wrigley in '74. I was 12. It was #725. He, Bill Madlock and Rick Monday each hit one out on to Waverly that day. Cubs beat the Braves that game.

Nope, I was too young. The only great old timer that I was able to see hit a bomb was stretch, but that was at the end of his long career when he wasn't an everyday player

chiefsfan

We are due for a really good hitting stretch.  Considering our next 2 opponents both are very good hitting teams, who arent the greatest pitchers, now would be the time to get on a hot streak...
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

msudawgs64

Quote from: chiefsfan on May 04, 2006, 08:33:49 pm
We are due for a really good hitting stretch.  Considering our next 2 opponents both are very good hitting teams, who arent the greatest pitchers, now would be the time to get on a hot streak...

hmmm, I would not say that exactly, at least about Bama, just the opposite for them, solid pitching, so-so hitting.  Bama will start Jr. LHP Wade LeBlanc (7-0, 2.92 ERA),Jr. RHP Bernard Robert (6-3, 4.00 ERA), and Fr. RHP Tommy Hunter (7-2, 3.17 ERA) and overall leads the SEC in team pitching with a tidy 3.29 ERA.  Not bad actually, though if the bats come alive it will most certainly be against Robert.  Ole Miss on the other hand has won recently with the help of the offense, tops in the SEC right now, but their pitching staff ain't all that, sporting a 4.29 team ERA.  Got to jump on Bama early and often, Hogs have the advantage pitching wise against Ole Miss, no doubt.

chiefsfan

Quote from: msudawgs64 on May 04, 2006, 11:47:17 pm
Quote from: chiefsfan on May 04, 2006, 08:33:49 pm

hmmm, I would not say that exactly, at least about Bama, just the opposite for them, solid pitching, so-so hitting.  Bama will start Jr. LHP Wade LeBlanc (7-0, 2.92 ERA),Jr. RHP Bernard Robert (6-3, 4.00 ERA), and Fr. RHP Tommy Hunter (7-2, 3.17 ERA) and overall leads the SEC in team pitching with a tidy 3.29 ERA.  Not bad actually, though if the bats come alive it will most certainly be against Robert.  Ole Miss on the other hand has won recently with the help of the offense, tops in the SEC right now, but their pitching staff ain't all that, sporting a 4.29 team ERA.  Got to jump on Bama early and often, Hogs have the advantage pitching wise against Ole Miss, no doubt.

yeah I realized that a little bit ago.  I saw what they did to Auburn a little bit ago in the Sunday game, and have since changed my tune...

Ole Miss has no pitching at all.  We at Arkansas State can vouch for that
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

MCPeePants

Word of advice: Emeel Salem needs to be intentionally walked as often as your boy Barry Bonds...Seriously, the Hogs will have a much better shot if they just put Salem on. He's the real deal.

That's silly. He's nothing like Bonds. Unlike Bonds, Salem is not a power hitter and he doesn't draw many unintentional walks on his own - but he does hit tons of singles and he leads the conference in stolen bases - by a wide margin. Intentionally walking a guy like that is the worst thing you can do.

Yes he's hitting .380 with an OBP up near .500 but he doesn't get many extra base hits and he steals many bases so walking him intentionally is a terrible idea. You have to at least try ot get him out - even if he gets a hit, it's most likely just going to be a single anyway.