Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How many years for Reggie Herring...

Started by Ugly Uncle, May 03, 2006, 08:35:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

How many years before Reggie Herring has Arkansas as a top 10 defensive team?

next year
52 (40.6%)
3-4 years (after he gets his type players in here
57 (44.5%)
not any time soon
8 (6.3%)
Never
11 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Ugly Uncle

After seeing a few of his guys from NC State do well in the draft, it got me thinking...

He must be able to recruit well, because he got some real studs to go to NCState.  I don't remember how many years he was with them, but he did turn their program around.

I think this year he wasn't able to really recruit well because of other circumstances.  However, I think that we are on our way to becoming a GREAT defensive team.  Let's hope so.
Retired Radio Host

pseudorabies

Herring will most likely be gone after this year.

hogfan064

Herring was at NC State for 2 years.  He was fired at Clemson by Tommy Bowden. 

RebelHawg

He was only with them for a year or two. Reggie has a great system and it is devistating if run correctly. I love his stance on loafs because the harder a player plays the better he will be.

hogfan064

Quote from: pseudorabies on May 03, 2006, 08:36:37 am

Why do you say that.  The defense consistantly improved last year.  In the last few games they performed very well IMO.

HoopS

Psuedo, he will be gone bc he is one of Nutt's guys and Nutt will be gone?

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

I think he's implying that he will get a better offer somewhere and 'move on up'.  I don't think so.  I think we've learned our lesson from losing Joe Kines and will pay him what it takes to stay.

pseudorabies

Quote from: hogfan064 on May 03, 2006, 08:44:35 am

Why do you say that.  The defense consistantly improved last year.  In the last few games they performed very well IMO.

I am saying that because that's what he said.  In a interview he had not too long ago he said the only reason he came back for this year was to get revenge on USC.

ComeonHogs!!!

It seems reggie can spot talent on team and put them in the best place to make his system run. I take him at his word we he says things like we need a saftey, de, ect.

Here of late he seems to be happy with what he has this could be good news for razorback fans.
State Pride!!!

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: pseudorabies on May 03, 2006, 08:54:09 am

I am saying that because that's what he said.  In a interview he had not too long ago he said the only reason he came back for this year was to get revenge on USC.

Why?  Did he give a reason?

Do you guys remember that Seinfeld episode where George realized that people liked him at first and always laughed at his first joke...but then it went down hill?  If he stayed any longer they soon thought he was dull and boring and didn't like him anymore.  So, he decided that as soon as he made a good point or made someone laugh, he would just yell, "I'm out!" and leave before they could start to think less of him.

Is that how Reggie is?
Retired Radio Host

pseudorabies

Someone told me he had other offers.

hogfan064

Quote from: uglyuncle on May 03, 2006, 08:59:30 am

Do you guys remember that Seinfeld episode where George realized that people liked him at first and always laughed at his first joke...but then it went down hill?  If he stayed any longer they soon thought he was dull and boring and didn't like him anymore.  So, he decided that as soon as he made a good point or made someone laugh, he would just yell, "I'm out!" and leave before they could start to think less of him.

Is that how Reggie is?

Well he is bald.  Great episode though

hogfan064

I think he left NC State because Arkansas is a higher profile school that isn't in a basketball state.  He left Clemson because TommY Bowden showed him the door

Swino

May 03, 2006, 09:07:05 am #13 Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 09:22:03 am by Swino
Quote from: uglyuncle on May 03, 2006, 08:59:30 am

Is that how Reggie is?

That was a classic.

Kevin

reggie didn't recruit the nc state talent.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

djgaffer

I thought I remember a quote from Reggie when he got here specifically saying he planned on being here a long time because his wife was tired of moving.  Something like it was a difficult decision to come here... and only because it was Houston.  I'm paraphrasing.  Maybe that changes when you start moving WRs to DE.

My answer to the question above is that Reggie will have a top 10 defense here when someone on staff recruits three 1st round defensive linemen.  Even so, playing the schedule we play (SEC plus USC / Texas), it will be hard to limit teams to top 10 statistcal yardage.  But I think we'll have a defense that will help us win games versus being a liability very soon.... '06.

Dwight_K_Shrute

You are taking the USC comment out of context.  What he meant is the his only focus is USC game.  That's the only thing that he is thinking about between now and Sept 2, his only reason for being, only reason for breathing and only reason for being at Arkansas right now is USC, immediately after that it will be the next opponent, etc.  That's the kind of focus we need from all our coaches
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

pseudorabies

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on May 03, 2006, 09:21:19 am
You are taking the USC comment out of context.  What he meant is the his only focus is USC game.  That's the only thing that he is thinking about between now and Sept 2, his only reason for being, only reason for breathing and only reason for being at Arkansas right now is USC, immediately after that it will be the next opponent, etc.  That's the kind of focus we need from all our coaches

No I'm not.

TulsaHawg

Not to be too picky, but aren't one of the guys who was saying in November, and early December that Houston would not be here for the 06 season?

pseudorabies

Quote from: TulsaHawg on May 03, 2006, 09:47:07 am

Not to be too picky, but aren't one of the guys who was saying in November, and early December that Houston would not be here for the 06 season?

The 06 season hasn't started yet.   8) Wether you will admit it or not, you know that if Nutt could have found a job after last year, he would have been gone.

Porkerpower

I think you're wrong saying that we're a higher profile school than NC State.  And the part about our tougher conference verses the ACC is biased too IMO.
Go back and look at who NC St played Herrings last year there.  If I remember right, there was a trip AT Ohio St in there, as well as Va Tech, Virginia, Fla. St, and Miami, plus rival North Carolina and the rest. 
Point is, they EARNED that #1 ranking against a very tough schedule, similar to a SEC one.

Just my opinion, but I think Herring goofs on the media most of the time, and honestly does not care what any of us think anyway.  He's in his own cocoon.

We can get on here and jabber back and forth about our razorbacks till the cows come home, but bottom line is we all are rabid fans, are we wouldn't be here right now.
It's the dog days of summer, and just like every year, we want and hope for the best of our porkers.  It's just that changes have been made this time, and there is hope, FINALLY.

EastexHawg

I'm not anti-Herring, but one of these days when you aren't too busy look at the offensive statistics of N.C. State's opponents the year Herring's defense led the nation. 

Most of their opponents that year finished in the bottom third of the NCAA in total offense.  That can't hurt a team's defensive statistics.

zwhogfan

I can't believe you are comparing ACC football to SEC football. Virginia and UNC would get dominated in SEC play. Va. Tech would do alright, as would Miami and Florida State, they would have good years but they wouldn't always be great. Remember, LSU absolutely spanked Miami in their bowl and LSU didn't even have their starter at QB. The ACC is a basketball conference IMO.

hogfan064

Quote from: Porkerpower on May 03, 2006, 09:54:46 am
I think you're wrong saying that we're a higher profile school than NC State.  And the part about our tougher conference verses the ACC is biased too IMO.
Go back and look at who NC St played Herrings last year there.  If I remember right, there was a trip AT Ohio St in there, as well as Va Tech, Virginia, Fla. St, and Miami, plus rival North Carolina and the rest. 
Point is, they EARNED that #1 ranking against a very tough schedule, similar to a SEC one.

Just my opinion, but I think Herring goofs on the media most of the time, and honestly does not care what any of us think anyway.  He's in his own cocoon.

We can get on here and jabber back and forth about our razorbacks till the cows come home, but bottom line is we all are rabid fans, are we wouldn't be here right now.
It's the dog days of summer, and just like every year, we want and hope for the best of our porkers.  It's just that changes have been made this time, and there is hope, FINALLY.

NC State has very little football tradition.  As a program they are barely over .500 alltime.  They have been to 11 less bowls than us and they have only finished ranked in a poll 14 times. 

And I never said anything about the ACC. 

TulsaHawg

May 03, 2006, 10:11:45 am #24 Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 10:16:58 am by TulsaHawg
Quote from: pseudorabies on May 03, 2006, 09:54:28 am

The 06 season hasn't started yet.   8) Wether you will admit it or not, you know that if Nutt could have found a job after last year, he would have been gone.

Point is that you apparently were wrong about Houston, could it be that you are also wrong about Reggie? ???

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: pseudorabies on May 03, 2006, 09:42:38 am

No I'm not.

Can you turn Karma back on so I can smite you then you can turn it right back off.  Thanks.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

pseudorabies

May 03, 2006, 10:16:50 am #26 Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 10:21:06 am by pseudorabies
Quote from: TulsaHawg on May 03, 2006, 10:11:45 am
Quote from: pseudorabies on May 03, 2006, 09:54:28 am

The 06 season hasn't started yet.   8) Wether you will admit it or not, you know that if Nutt could have found a job after last year, he would have been gone.

Point is that you apparently were wrong about Houston, couold it be that you are also wrong about Reggie? ???

I could be but I am not.  I wasn't wrong about Nutt, he couldn't get a job anywhere else.  The only thing I was wrong about was how far Lindsey was willing to go to bat for him.

How is Zach's injury again?

dana caldwell

as long as it takes, judging the patience factor up there the past several years. however, if they have another sorry season, nutt will sacrifice him if he can slice his staff (except for malzahn, who will be uncutable) and stay. if they have another sorry season and nutt is fired, the new guy may or may not choose to retain him, of course. most want their own guys, especially at key positions.

the jury's still out on this guy as far as i'm concerned. the defense did make strides, but the defenders had a heckuva long way to go after rushing to no avail with WRs, standing pat in the secondary and looking like true (non)tackling dummies 2/3 or so of the way thru.

HoopS

Quote from: djgaffer on May 03, 2006, 09:15:55 am
I thought I remember a quote from Reggie when he got here specifically saying he planned on being here a long time because his wife was tired of moving.  Something like it was a difficult decision to come here... and only because it was Houston.  I'm paraphrasing.  Maybe that changes when you start moving WRs to DE.

My answer to the question above is that Reggie will have a top 10 defense here when someone on staff recruits three 1st round defensive linemen.  Even so, playing the schedule we play (SEC plus USC / Texas), it will be hard to limit teams to top 10 statistcal yardage.  But I think we'll have a defense that will help us win games versus being a liability very soon.... '06.

I remember him mentioning those things as well when he was hired.  I also remember thinking that if/when HDN goes, so will Herring because of his statement that he came here because he wanted to coach with HDN. 

TulsaHawg

Quote from: pseudorabies on May 03, 2006, 10:16:50 am

I could be but I am not.  I wasn't wrong about Nutt, he couldn't get a job anywhere else.  The only thing I was wrong about was how far Lindsey was willing to go to bat for him.

Haven't heard yet. When I do, I'll be sure to let you know.

pseudorabies

Quote from: TulsaHawg on May 03, 2006, 10:23:12 am

you might want to let him know also.

HoopS

Quote from: pseudorabies on May 03, 2006, 10:24:55 am

well done!  +.... nevermind.

TulsaHawg

Quote from: pseudorabies on May 03, 2006, 10:24:55 am

If he needs a memo, I'll be happy to take care of it. ;)

Jim Harris

Quote from: RebelHawg on May 03, 2006, 08:39:25 am
He was only with them for a year or two. Reggie has a great system and it is devistating if run correctly. I love his stance on loafs because the harder a player plays the better he will be.

it ain't "devistating" if it's run with a bunch of plugs out there. Reggie could do pretty decent with a head coach like Chuck D'mato recruiting the players.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

SupaCrawf

I think he's a fine coach, but I don't see him producing a top 10 D, mainly b/c of the calibur of teams we face day in and day out.  Hope he proves me wrong, but I'm not holding my breath...
I'm kind of a big deal.

hog caller

be realistic guys. there are plenty of schools out there that would like to have Houston.

as Malzahn said he is a good Christiam man and is a pleasure to work for.

he now has the coaches who will kick butt in practice til they get it right or leave.
it's my way or the hiway with these guys so sit back and enjoy the ride.

GO HOGS!

HoopS

I'm gonna hang up and listen. Prepare to defend yourself hog caller. 

dana caldwell

i'll never understand the "good christian man" sentiments that come up when discussing nutt or any other fb coach. what, is god on their side? doesn't he have more important things to concern himself with?

it's like wally columns that he so often prefaces with such before light criticisms: "Stan Heath is a nice man. But he can't seem to figure out how to attack a zone."

i picked up a hitch-hiker. so i should have jennifer anniston? or, i prayed today. bring me lobster.

one is totally irrelevant to the other.

Swino

Quote from: hog caller on May 03, 2006, 10:40:33 am
be realistic guys. there are plenty of schools out there that would like to have Houston.

he now has the coaches who will kick butt in practice til they get it right or leave.

GO HOGS!

Thanks for cracking me up.  I know that every top tier school is looking to hire a coach with a LOSING record in conference play. 

Jaison Black

Quote from: dana caldwell on May 03, 2006, 10:50:07 am
i'll never understand the "good christian man" sentiments that come up when discussing nutt or any other fb coach. what, is god on their side? doesn't he have more important things to concern himself with?

In regards to that statement, no he doesn't have more important things to concern himself with. If you have Him first in your life other things work themselves out.

That being said, the "fine christian man" statements ARE over-used in the press when talking about all coaches.
I love my kids, but this is my baby.http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i303/razr76/Side.jpg

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Swino on May 03, 2006, 10:53:58 am
Quote from: hog caller on May 03, 2006, 10:40:33 am

GO HOGS!

Thanks for cracking me up.  I know that every top tier school is looking to hire a coach with a LOSING record in conference play. 

Surely he said that in jest.

As far as other schools wanting him?  I think MacArthur Jr. High and Annie Camp Jr. High in Jonesboro both showed interest.  They thought he might be able to supplement his income by doing his dance in the surrounding rice fields and being a living scarecrow out there.
Retired Radio Host

TulsaHawg

May 03, 2006, 02:59:37 pm #41 Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 03:01:44 pm by TulsaHawg
Reggie has a couple years left on his contract, including this one. Look for him to honor it.  He is back this year after turning down a very attractive offer to go elsewhere.  That says a lot for him.

Could he be gone after this season?  Yes.  I could be wrong, but I think he will stick around at least through next year, unless someone simply makes him an offer he can't refuse.

JJHog

May 03, 2006, 03:55:04 pm #42 Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 04:39:41 pm by JJHog

it's like wally columns that he so often prefaces with such before light criticisms: "Stan Heath is a nice man. But he can't seem to figure out how to attack a zone."

i picked up a hitch-hiker. so i should have jennifer anniston? or, i prayed today. bring me lobster.

If I had a son play college ball, it would be relevent to me, I want him to play for a a good man. And I think God wants to be a part of each tiny part of your life, that why they call it a relationship with Him.
" Think Right, Do Right"

pseudorabies

Quote from: JJHog on May 03, 2006, 03:55:04 pm

If I had a son play college ball, it would be relevent to me, I want him to be a good man.

Then send him to play for Croom at Miss State.

silvertip

Quote from: Razr on May 03, 2006, 11:04:42 am

In regards to that statement, no he doesn't have more important things to concern himself with. If you have Him first in your life other things work themselves out.

That being said, the "fine christian man" statements ARE over-used in the press when talking about all coaches.

So, does this mean that HDN does not "have HIM first in his life" ?  Because it just seems to me that "other things" in HDN's life haven't been working out so well....unless, by HIM, do you mean Jim Lindsey ?

tulsahog36

Quote from: pseudorabies on May 03, 2006, 09:42:38 am

No I'm not.

Yes you are.   But then you and most others always take quotes out of context on this board.

Porkerpower

Herring can coach em, did it at NC State, and he'll do it here.  Remember it was Herrings' 2nd year that he " got it done" with the Pack.  This is his 2nd year with us, so there it is.  The light bulb seemed to come on at the end of last year to me.  I figure we will be awesome this year on defense.
We will see....

dana caldwell

"In regards to that statement, no he doesn't have more important things to concern himself with. If you have Him first in your life other things work themselves out."

u misinterpreted. i meant god has more important things to concern himself with (wars, disease, famine, global warming, other planets and glaxies, etc.) than a football coach's on-the-field results.

knowing and having known many who walk the walk about a thousand times better than i, i agree with your last statement.

TulsaHawg

May 04, 2006, 11:33:15 am #48 Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 11:40:49 am by TulsaHawg
Quote from: dana caldwell on May 04, 2006, 11:28:57 am
"In regards to that statement, no he doesn't have more important things to concern himself with. If you have Him first in your life other things work themselves out."

u misinterpreted. i meant god has more important things to concern himself with (wars, disease, famine, global warming, other planets and glaxies, etc.) than a football coach's on-the-field results.

knowing and having known many who walk the walk about a thousand times better than i, i agree with your last statement.

Reminds me of 3 or 4 years ago when the Hogs came to Tulsa to play ORU in basketball.  At ORU games, they give an invocation.  At the conclusion of the prayer the guy said, " And please Lord, help Oral Roberts beat the Razorbacks."

Also, along the same line,  I saw a post on a thread when the Hogs were trailing LSU in baseball.  The guy said, "I am not above beseeching the Almighty!" ;D

I remember a few years ago when John Blake's Sooners beat Texas in Dallas.  In his interview following the game, a euphoric Blake gave credit to Jesus for them getting the victory.  Now I understand that you should be thankful for blessings received, but were ther no Christians on the Longhorns' team that season?  Jesus likes the Sooners better than the Horns? What?

dana caldwell

have u ever heard the craig o'neil bit (prank call) to an alabama assistant where he acts like he's a preacher who will be doing the invocation for the at-arkansas fb game? he convinces the poor guy to listen to his invocation which evolved into " ... and allow the clouds to part allowing your booming voice to say, 'go hogs' as you help input lightning into our offense and power into our defense against the favored foe."

it was hillarious. the coach went from sheer boredom and disgust to actually debating him ... "this isn't how we do things in the sec. is this the best u people in ark can do? we want a fair prayer!!!!!"