Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Hogville forum

Started by mikeirwin, May 02, 2006, 07:04:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeirwin

In the past if a thread was deemed to be particularly worthless by any of the Mods it would simply disappear.
HSV to the rescue.
Now if one of your threads really sucks you can still find it in the newest Hogville forum: The Trash Can.
For those of you who like to sift through the dumpster, HAVE FUN !!!

Jerry Swinefeld

Did our karma go in the Trash Can too?

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Jerry Swinefeld on May 02, 2006, 07:11:26 pm

Could we please get our karma back?  Not the smites necessarily....but just the karma...that would be cool...no one would get their feelings hurt with that.
Retired Radio Host

sowmonella

+1 karma for you ugly.....dang! ???
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

The Pulse

Yeah, Ugly's on to somethin. His idea would be really cool. I think it would work.

Porkahontas

Thank God for the kicking of the Karma crap,,,,again. Seems that feature comes and goes more than HDN chews gnaws on his nails and girates. To hell (or the trash can) with karma, smites, and all of that business.

SupaCrawf

Quote from: mikeirwin on May 02, 2006, 07:04:10 pm
In the past if a thread was deemed to be particularly worthless by any of the Mods it would simply disappear.
HSV to the rescue.
Now if one of your threads really sucks you can still find it in the newest Hogville forum: The Trash Can.
So, if I have a really bad idea for a post, should I just start it in the Trash Can?
I'm kind of a big deal.

CiriusPorker

Quote from: SupaCrawf on May 02, 2006, 07:42:27 pm
HSV to the rescue.
So, if I have a really bad idea for a post, should I just start it in the Trash Can?

I think there are gonna be quite a few people hanging out in the Trash Can..

mikeirwin

Quote from: SupaCrawf on May 02, 2006, 07:42:27 pm
HSV to the rescue.
An excellant idea. That's thinking ahead of the curve.   ;D

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

This is pure garbage, I don't care who you are.

Thanks a lot, I'm out....!
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

CiriusPorker

I love the trash can, its usually where i find my lunch anyway!

TorsinAHog

Will consider it a badge of honor to get a thread moved to the trash!   
To borrow from Mark Twain, there are three kinds of lies:
lies, darned lies, and the UA Athletic Department.

http://foas.us/images/sigs/hamilton.jpg

Calling All Hogs

Wow. All the positive karmas we give HoginMemphis (aka Ho in Memphis) are just gone? LOL

mikeirwin

Quote from: TorsinAHog on May 02, 2006, 08:18:16 pm
Only the worst of the worst qualify.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

CiriusPorker

Quote from: mikeirwin on May 02, 2006, 08:41:51 pm
Quote from: TorsinAHog on May 02, 2006, 08:18:16 pm
Only the worst of the worst qualify.

so, dont waste your time hoping to qualify a thread to it...go straight there and start one, ....kind of like me

RebelHawg

bout time good job Mike!!

Porquemada

Quote from: slumpbuster on May 02, 2006, 10:31:49 pm

Every so often someone gets their feelings hurt and the karma goes away for a while.  It'll probably be back in a couple of weeks based on past events.
Sage advice from a "new" poster? Hmmm......

hoginator

Will Oscar mind us being in his can?
Someone who doesn't stand for something will fall for anything...

Richard_white

Quote from: Fresh Legs on May 02, 2006, 11:54:11 pm
If you wanna disagree, you actually have to post.  It's become to easy for some to just click "smite" and go on about their business.  I like it as I think it stimulates discussion on the board.

I disagree fresh

WichitaStateRazorback

Bring back the Karma/Smite

VoR

Quote from: Fresh Legs on May 02, 2006, 11:54:11 pm
If you wanna disagree, you actually have to post.  It's become to easy for some to just click "smite" and go on about their business.  I like it as I think it stimulates discussion on the board.
there are some posts that deserve to be smited/karma'd without replying, 1 that comes to mind is the posts made that actually started the trash can, the 1 good thing I can say about that post is it pissed me off enough I posted enough times to get my daily posting avg over 1 per day, lol.
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

"Pickled" Pig's Pete

I think it's a shame to get rid of the karma.  While I don't post often, I visit the board every day to keep up with the news, rumors, and opinions.  Some of you guys are really insightful and present well thought out, well written arguments.  Others are just plain boobs and basically a waste of bandwidth.  Karma allows people the opportunity to voice their opinion of particular posters without having to take the time to post something in response.

My first ever post on this board pointed out that HiM got really quite after both Texas and Memphis lost in the NCAA tourney.  CiriusPorker smited me for using my first post as what he perceived to be a slam.  Since that time, I will say that I am guilty of smiting both HiM and CiriusPorker every time I could, whether it was merited or not.  I will take responsibility for the "misuse" of the mighty karma, and should it ever come back, promise never to abuse it again (except for HiM, who deserves every thing he gets).

Instead of completely doing away with karma, how about considering setting a maximum number of applauds/smites a day - say 5 or 10.  That way, the reward or punishment is limited and will require someone to be more deliberate with how they use the system.  If you limit the number each day to just a handful, I would then have to decide what's more important, my vendetta against HiM and CiriusPorker, or  giving a pat on the back to someone who truly deserves it.  Just a thought.
Quote from: salebow on November 27, 2011, 08:39:55 pm
It made be a forum, but spelling and punctuation tell a lot about a person. Also, I usually post from my iPhone, too. I don't have a problem with using good spelling and punctuation.

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Quote from: uglyuncle on May 02, 2006, 07:24:12 pm

Could we please get our karma back?  Not the smites necessarily....but just the karma...that would be cool...no one would get their feelings hurt with that.
I like this idea!  +1 if I could.  I like how the whole karma deal is different than all the other lamo message boards.  It puts ours above the rest in a way.

HogISH™

nice job mike!! hope this make mmq a lot cleaner for a quick scan.

HogISH
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...BEER   TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -|
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)

Hogville Trash Can Moderator - my theme song:

Isn't it rich, isn't it queer
Losing my timing this late in my career  And where are the clowns  Quick send in the clowns  Don't bother they're here.

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Can we have a new board for the sec vs big 12 argument?  There are certainly enough posts on it every day to fill one up!

hog caller

i luv coooookies don't mess with my can so if you do i'll smash your face with the lid of my can
so don't mess with my can can

JIHawg

Like if someone did a survey that asks "which remaining American Idol would you like to have sex with", that would be a possible candidate for the trash can?

qakhed

"If it comes from qak, it's a fact!" -supacrawf

qakhed

Quote from: rampage72501 on May 03, 2006, 07:06:31 am
I think it's a shame to get rid of the karma.  While I don't post often, I visit the board every day to keep up with the news, rumors, and opinions.  Some of you guys are really insightful and present well thought out, well written arguments.  Others are just plain boobs and basically a waste of bandwidth.  Karma allows people the opportunity to voice their opinion of particular posters without having to take the time to post something in response.

My first ever post on this board pointed out that HiM got really quite after both Texas and Memphis lost in the NCAA tourney.  CiriusPorker smited me for using my first post as what he perceived to be a slam.  Since that time, I will say that I am guilty of smiting both HiM and CiriusPorker every time I could, whether it was merited or not.  I will take responsibility for the "misuse" of the mighty karma, and should it ever come back, promise never to abuse it again (except for HiM, who deserves every thing he gets).

Instead of completely doing away with karma, how about considering setting a maximum number of applauds/smites a day - say 5 or 10.  That way, the reward or punishment is limited and will require someone to be more deliberate with how they use the system.  If you limit the number each day to just a handful, I would then have to decide what's more important, my vendetta against HiM and CiriusPorker, or  giving a pat on the back to someone who truly deserves it.  Just a thought.

so you were the smite fairy?

mikeirwin

Quote from: JIHawg on May 03, 2006, 01:58:13 pm
Like if someone did a survey that asks "which remaining American Idol would you like to have sex with", that would be a possible candidate for the trash can?
No, like if somebody started a thead that said the Hogs needed to run the ball this fall and forget about throwing it more....that would go in the trash can.

"Pickled" Pig's Pete

May 03, 2006, 03:55:21 pm #32 Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 04:22:26 pm by rampage72501
Quote from: qakhed on May 03, 2006, 02:03:15 pm
Quote from: rampage72501 on May 03, 2006, 07:06:31 am

so you were the smite fairy?

Nope.  The only smite I dealt on a semi-regular basis was to HiM and CiriusPorker, and only if they posted in a topic I was reading (don't read them all).  Even then, it wasn't more than a couple of times a day and only a couple of days a week.  I never went looking for either solely to smite, as I have better things to do with my time.  If my actions were the reason karma was pulled, I sincerely apologize (except to HiM, as I still believe he deserves every thing he gets).

That being said, I still love the feature and hate to see it gone.  I'm pretty sure karma could be limited to 5 applauds and 5 smites per 24 hour period.  That would encourage more discretionary  use for everyone, and both would be more meaningful.

Quote from: salebow on November 27, 2011, 08:39:55 pm
It made be a forum, but spelling and punctuation tell a lot about a person. Also, I usually post from my iPhone, too. I don't have a problem with using good spelling and punctuation.

94 Hawg

terrible idea, if the karma/smite thing was eliminated because of hurt feelings then just imagine the trauma caused by having your thread moved to the trash can. need another forum titled "counseling" now
Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers

CiriusPorker

will a thread about the trash can qualify for the trash can..???

I think so.

Calling All Hogs

Doesn't the true concept of karma and reincarnation require that, in order to balance the universe, Nutt will have to come back in another life and actually be a competent football coach? Maybe do so over many lifetimes considering the past 8 years?  ;D

Porkahontas

Quote from: rampage72501 on May 03, 2006, 03:55:21 pm
I'm pretty sure karma could be limited to 5 applauds and 5 smites per 24 hour period.  That would encourage more discretionary  use for everyone, and both would be more meaningful.

I'll take "most insignificant ideas of the 21st century" for $500, Alex.

I miss karma about as much as I miss Jack Crowe coaching the football team.

qakhed

love your avatar callmehog. That is a classic!

Calling All Hogs

Yours stands out as well. LOL

coolhog

Mike; Check this out! As you know the Arkansas Stars are having money problems. Well the Montgomery Maulers couldnt pay there bills and were sold just a day or two ago. I found a TV website that shows the NIFl Rapid City Flying Aces team cant pay there bills, and come to find out the owner was using an alias name and left town. They found out he was using another fake name while he owned another NIFL team the Cinncinnatti Marshals, which went broke and eventually were sold to another owner.  The con man, just recently they reported had wired a deposit to buy the Arkansas Stars, before he took off.  Go to the www.kotatv.com website.
The guy even before getting the Cincy franchise had the Miami Morays team.  UNREAL
You should investigate this league!!