Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ark is only program in FBS to not have a Field Goal

Started by HognotinMemphis, October 02, 2017, 08:21:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

BigSexyHog

Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Hoggiedawg

Jimbob111

Quote from: Hoggiedawg on October 02, 2017, 08:24:04 am
Definitely #Uncommon

Beliema just keeps giving Arkansas things they've never had before.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

HogFaninMemphis

Our kicking has been atrocious for years. It is very frustrating. It's hard to blame Bielema on the Hedlund miss, though. He was the best kicker in the country and just couldn't keep it together. It sucks for him and it sucks for the program, but I doubt you could blame Bielema for it.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on October 02, 2017, 08:41:11 am
Our kicking has been atrocious for years. It is very frustrating. It's hard to blame Bielema on the Hedlund miss, though. He was the best kicker in the country and just couldn't keep it together. It sucks for him and it sucks for the program, but I doubt you could blame Bielema for it.
Interesting how Bielema keeps getting these players who are world class but then fail on the playing field. Just bad luck?
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

cjack

Definitely missed opportunities to get our newest kicker some game experience against NMSU, but I'm sure he does fine in practice.
Woooo Pig Soooie!

RazorPiggie

Quote from: cjack on October 02, 2017, 09:03:09 am
Definitely missed opportunities to get our newest kicker some game experience against NMSU, but I'm sure he does fine in practice.

Had he missed people would have booed CBB off the field.

EastexHawg

Why would a coach keep passing up field goal opportunities and going for it on fourth down in a game against New Mexico State.  Does he not foresee that there may be a situation later in the year...like maybe Saturday against South Carolina...when winning or losing, or maybe just putting points on the board before halftime, may come down to a last second field goal?

How much confidence, much less experience, is the kicker going to have if that happens?

gchamblee

rhames

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 02, 2017, 09:07:27 am
Why would a coach keep passing up field goal opportunities and going for it on fourth down in a game against New Mexico State.  Does he not foresee that there may be a situation later in the year...like maybe Saturday against South Carolina...when winning or losing, or maybe just putting points on the board before halftime, may come down to a last second field goal?

How much confidence, much less experience, is the kicker going to have if that happens?

He addressed this in his press conference
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

cjack

It's not about Bielema and his feelings.  We need a kicker to come into a game and make a FG.  Can't do that if we go for it on 4th down every time, especially against the "cupcakes".
Woooo Pig Soooie!

onebadrubi

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 02, 2017, 08:55:38 am
Interesting how Bielema keeps getting these players who are world class but then fail on the playing field. Just bad luck?

Please list these names, I'd like to see this list...

EastexHawg

Quote from: rhames on October 02, 2017, 09:11:34 am

He addressed this in his press conference

Oh, well, in that case.  If Bielema addressed it it's as good as solved.

gchamblee

Quote from: cjack on October 02, 2017, 09:11:49 am
It's not about Bielema and his feelings.  We need a kicker to come into a game and make a FG.  Can't do that if we go for it on 4th down every time, especially against the "cupcakes".

id rather go for it on 4th down against the cupcakes to improve our offense in hopes that we won't need to kick field goals later. It is obvious you guys are just manufacturing reasons to be upset now.

LRHawg

Quote from: RazorPiggie on October 02, 2017, 09:05:36 am
Had he missed morons would have booed CBB off the field.

Fixed that for you.

Anyone of average intelligence or higher would understand the kicker needs some live-game practice before the SEC games start.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: gchamblee on October 02, 2017, 09:13:28 am
id rather go for it on 4th down against the cupcakes to improve our offense in hopes that we won't need to kick field goals later. It is obvious you guys are just manufacturing reasons to be upset now.
I don't think it's cause for outrage, but I would agree you need to have your kicker (whoever it is) ready to come in when you need a field goal.

rhames

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 02, 2017, 09:13:06 am
Oh, well, in that case.  If Bielema addressed it it's as good as solved.

I didn't say that. You asked why he chose to do what he did. He answered the question. Disagree with the reasoning all you want.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

gchamblee

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on October 02, 2017, 09:31:12 am
I don't think it's cause for outrage, but I would agree you need to have your kicker (whoever it is) ready to come in when you need a field goal.

Our offense has been struggling. Id rather fix that before I took snaps away from them to make sure my kicker is confident. Im not saying my opinion is more valid than yours, just that it is different.

LRHawg

I miss Hocker. We probably won a few games because of his leg and ice in his veins.

cjack

It didn't take long for me to realize why I took a 7 year break from Hogville.  There are too many people in here that believe whoever is the head coach is all-knowing, the best man for the job, should never be second guessed, and is an acceptable coach in the SEC.  CBB has averaged the same amount of SEC wins per season as John L.  If that's ok with the pro-Bielema crowd, why was John L. let go?  At some point in the NMSU game, we needed to attempt a FG.  That's not SEC coaching level knowledge.  It's common sense, which is something this place needs a lot more of. 
Woooo Pig Soooie!

Gonzo

Quote from: cjack on October 02, 2017, 09:03:09 am

There's some truth in both of these, it is HV after all. Had a late opportunity though that I thought could have been well used to get a little in game experience. but I'm not the one paid for those decisions. Hope his turns out to be a good one.

Go Hogs!

KennyForAD

Quote from: gchamblee on October 02, 2017, 09:33:45 am
Our offense has been struggling. Id rather fix that before I took snaps away from them to make sure my kicker is confident. Im not saying my opinion is more valid than yours, just that it is different.

The offense is not more important than special teams.  They are equal.  Ignoring special teams is a glaring coaching deficiency.

Tejano Jawg

I think we'll see 1 or 2 this Saturday.

Having 0 field goals thus far is very strange. It's makes our red zone opportunities all or nothing (6 or nothing). When it's 6...that's great. But...

Back to the TCU game, the actual 3 POINTS not put on the board after the first missed chip shot wasn't as important than just having something to show, and feel good about, keeping some momentum, for that drive. I think that stuck with us. The reason I think that—this team and coaching staff have demonstrated through many games that they have a delicate "competition psyche." I think it would have been a different game had we made the first one.

Even though we have proven we can fight back (Ark 53-Ole Miss 52 in 2015, TCU in 2016), it seems when routine things don't go right, we can't shake it. Look at the difference in how all the Aggie games played out...they were back and forth games, OR we were ahead and the Aggies started coming back. Mixing in a 3 just serves as a necessary stop-gap sometimes. How do the LA Rams feel about their kicker?...(7 FGs yesterday.)
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

jcbville

Quote from: cjack on October 02, 2017, 09:41:15 am
It didn't take long for me to realize why I took a 7 year break from Hogville.  There are too many people in here that believe whoever is the head coach is all-knowing, the best man for the job, should never be second guessed, and is an acceptable coach in the SEC.  CBB has averaged the same amount of SEC wins per season as John L.  If that's ok with the pro-Bielema crowd, why was John L. let go?  At some point in the NMSU game, we needed to attempt a FG.  That's not SEC coaching level knowledge.  It's common sense, which is something this place needs a lot more of.

Someone could just as easily say there are too many people here that think they always know more than the head coach, are never happy, never find anything acceptable etc...etc...See how that works? If you wish for a place where you never have to see or hear anything other than your own thoughts and opinions perhaps you should continue to keep your own company.

cjack

Haha. You are absolutely right.  It's the instant attack when CBB is questioned that is comical.  I don't mind people questioning me at all.  Our kicking game is terrible and should have been addressed in that game.    I'm very happy with my life and with CBB as a person.  I think he's an outstanding human, but averaging 2 wins per season isn't enough for me to be happy with my favorite football program.  It wasn't enough for John L. to stay.  It's not enough for CBB to stay. 
Woooo Pig Soooie!

hogsanity

Quote from: cjack on October 02, 2017, 09:54:52 am
Haha. You are absolutely right.  It's the instant attack when CBB is questioned that is comical.  I don't mind people questioning me at all.  Our kicking game is terrible and should have been addressed in that game.    I'm very happy with my life and with CBB as a person.  I think he's an outstanding human, but averaging 2 wins per season isn't enough for me to be happy with my favorite football program.  It wasn't enough for John L. to stay.  It's not enough for CBB to stay. 

Kicking a FG in a game in hand against NMSU no more prepares a FG kicker to go in late in a close SEC game than does having the backup throw some passes up 40+ against some hapless FCS team. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

KennyForAD

Its pervasive in our fanbase - and its a big problem.  At Arkansas, there are never wolves at the door.  Never any pressure to win. 

KennyForAD

Quote from: jcbville on October 02, 2017, 09:49:38 am
Someone could just as easily say there are too many people here that think they always know more than the head coach, are never happy, never find anything acceptable etc...etc...See how that works? If you wish for a place where you never have to see or hear anything other than your own thoughts and opinions perhaps you should continue to keep your own company.

You are wrong.  That's what fans are SUPPOSED to do, not blindly worship the team and coach, no matter what.  Seriously, who brainwashed you nuts?  Oh yeah.  Frank did.  Well, its time to wake up, quit being blind zombies, and demand better.

J-Five

Quote from: jcbville on October 02, 2017, 09:49:38 am

LMAO!  BLOOP BLOOP!  good point.
"If the person you're criticizing is doing it better than you are, close your mouth"

hogsanity

Quote from: KennyForAD on October 02, 2017, 10:09:13 am
You are wrong.  That's what fans are SUPPOSED to do, not blindly worship the team and coach, no matter what.  Seriously, who brainwashed you nuts?  Oh yeah.  Frank did.  Well, its time to wake up, quit being blind zombies, and demand better.

Watch out, internet tough guy on the loose.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GolfnHog

It appears FG's are a problem whether they are being kicked or not but at some point this season Conner Limpert  is going to get the chance. I hope the 6" between his  ears is ready when the opportunity presents itself and I suspect he'll be ready for the moment.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

hogsanity

Quote from: KennyForAD on October 02, 2017, 10:14:16 am
lolwut?

Calling people names. telling the fans they are brainwashed. Saying the fans need to DEMAND things.

J-Five

"Fan" is short for fanatic...which means you support something no matter what...rain, sleet, snow, good coach or bad coach.  What I see a lot of in here are critics.  There's a big difference, per the definition.  LOL
"If the person you're criticizing is doing it better than you are, close your mouth"

KennyForAD

Quote from: hogsanity on October 02, 2017, 10:17:18 am
Calling people names. telling the fans they are brainwashed. Saying the fans need to DEMAND things.

Sheeez.  Have you taken your meds this morning?

Pigsknuckles

The TCU game provided us a reality check opportunity to explore 4th down options we otherwise may have passed on. We were 2 for 3 on 4th down conversions Saturday. Two of the potential FG attempts would have been in excess of 40 yards, which is not a lead pipe cinch at any level. Someday, it may take more than 3 points for us to get back into a game, and we may be glad we gave the offense this experience. Yeah, I'm admittedly trying to spin a positive out of this.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

jkstock04

A lot of truth here...people worship coaches instead of the program.

I would say though....if we can't kick field goals why try to? Bielema himself said we may just go for it on 4th down from now on. If we can't kick field goals that's probably the best strategy. We needed the win on Saturday, not to practice field goals.

Start missing field goals in those situations and we end up with Toledo part 2.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

KennyForAD

Quote from: J-Five on October 02, 2017, 10:22:20 am
"Fan" is short for fanatic...which means you support care about something no matter what...rain, sleet, snow, good coach or bad coach.  What I see a lot of in here are critics.  There's a big difference, per the definition.  LOL

This is the problem.  A huge number of our fans suffer from some weird condition that makes them think fans should never be critical.  = Cuckoo

hogsanity

Quote from: KennyForAD on October 02, 2017, 10:23:48 am
Sheeez.  Have you taken your meds this morning?

we both know the only way for fans to have a say is quit going to games, and we both know most wont do that because they dont want to give up their precious season tickets.

hoghearted

Quote from: hogsanity on October 02, 2017, 10:29:34 am
we both know the only way for fans to have a say is quit going to games, and we both know most wont do that because they dont want to give up their precious season tickets.

yet those who say they won't go will be accused by the other side of 'not supporting the program and the players' (in short, a bad fan), or my personal favorite, be denigrated for not being an elite level donor, 'you won't be missed'.

There is no 'right' position to take. Whatever one chooses will lead to some kind of criticism.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

davglo35

Hedlund missed 2 chip shot FGs against the horny toads. If it was me in charge I would give Hedlund another chance. The kid has got to be depressed and down on himself. Hedlund needs to know that the team and staff have confidence in him. Sure he blew 2 easy ones but you know he is a good kicker. We have seen him do it before. Saturday would have been a good time to see if he is going to rebound and if he made one the crowd would roar.

KennyForAD

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 02, 2017, 10:26:31 am
A lot of truth here...people worship coaches instead of the program.

I would say though....if we can't kick field goals why try to? Bielema himself said we may just go for it on 4th down from now on. If we can't kick field goals that's probably the best strategy. We needed the win on Saturday, not to practice field goals.

Start missing field goals in those situations and we end up with Toledo part 2.

This coach is in his fifth year and his special teams can only be described as atrocious.  At OU, they were about to fire Barry Switzer for losing 3 games one year.  Nothing wrong with any of his coaching.  Offense great, defense great, special teams great.  Just... lost 3 games. 

Here, at Arkansas...

Our defense was among the worst in the country last year, and its not much improved, if at all.
Our Oline IS the worst in the country.
Our special teams have been ATROCIOUS for years.
We average 2 SEC wins per year....

Yet, if you dare complain about the HORRIFICALLY BAD coaching, a herd of Bizarro World weirdos jumps down your throat.   Weird.  Bizarre.  Freaky.  Strange.  Brainwashed.  Nitwits.

oldhog63

At that point in the game, there wasn't enough people left in the stadium to boo him off.

KennyForAD

Quote from: davglo35 on October 02, 2017, 10:42:41 am
Hedlund missed 2 chip shot FGs against the horny toads. If it was me in charge I would give Hedlund another chance. The kid has got to be depressed and down on himself. Hedlund needs to know that the team and staff have confidence in him. Sure he blew 2 easy ones but you know he is a good kicker. We have seen him do it before. Saturday would have been a good time to see if he is going to rebound and if he made one the crowd would roar.

'Kickers are a dime a dozen and they tend to be head cases.  As soon as one fails, its over.  Get another one and keep him till he fails.' -- Jimmy Johnson

jkstock04

Quote from: KennyForAD on October 02, 2017, 10:43:34 am
This coach is in his fifth year and his special teams can only be described as atrocious.  At OU, they were about to fire Barry Switzer for losing 3 games one year.  Nothing wrong with any of his coaching.  Offense great, defense great, special teams great.  Just... lost 3 games. 

Here, at Arkansas...

Our defense was among the worst in the country last year, and its not much improved, if at all.
Our Oline IS the worst in the country.
Our special teams have been ATROCIOUS for years.
We average 2 SEC wins per year....

Yet, if you dare complain about the HORRIFICALLY BAD coaching, a herd of Bizarro World weirdos jumps down your throat.   Weird.  Bizarre.  Freaky.  Strange.  Brainwashed.  Nitwits.
lol I don't know what to tell ya. The program has integrity now and welcome to Hogville. These same guys were guaranteeing a 10 win season as well if that tells you the mentality that goes on on the internet.

Special teams...especially the kicking game, have overall been awful for the Bielema era. Think of all those fg blocks. Where we are today, probably best just to go for it on 4th down.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

jcbville

Quote from: KennyForAD on October 02, 2017, 10:09:13 am

Youre talking to the wrong guy bud. I dont blindly worship anyone. Least of all CBB. If he was fired tomorrow my opinion would be, "Not sure it was the right move due to timing etc but hes "the guy", and when youre "the guy" you take the hit when things arent going well." That being said however, I do prescribe to logic and reason over hysteria. And last but not least, Ive been around a number of years now and you calling anyone a nut is like a prostitute calling someone else a hoe.

PonderinHog

Quote from: KennyForAD on October 02, 2017, 10:46:48 am
'Kickers are a dime a dozen and they tend to be head cases.  As soon as one fails, its over.  Get another one and keep him till he fails.' -- Jimmy Johnson
What does he know ???  lol

jkstock04

Quote from: jcbville on October 02, 2017, 10:55:24 am
Youre talking to the wrong guy bud. I dont blindly worship anyone. Least of all CBB. If he was fired tomorrow my opinion would be, "Not sure it was the right move due to timing etc but hes "the guy", and when youre "the guy" you take the hit when things arent going well." That being said however, I do prescribe to logic and reason over hysteria. And last but not least, Ive been around a number of years now and you calling anyone a nut is like a prostitute calling someone else a hoe.
The past 5 years has been abysmal. This year has started off the same. The fact that people can completely ignore that and put on a happy face is crazy to me as well.

This is easily the worst stretch since joining the SEC. Gotta be one of the worst stretches in school history.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys