Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Puerto Vallarta

Started by BA Hogwild, July 15, 2008, 01:25:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BA Hogwild

Who's been? What did you think?
The game of life is a lot like football. You have to tackle your fears,block out your problems,and score your points when you get your opportunity

Uncle_dad

Went on my honeymoon.  Wife two wanted to go somewhere with me that I hadn't been with wife one.  Stayed at Riu Jalisco.

In a nutshell...

PV is nice if you want to lay out on the beach.  As for the other things to do-

Went on a snorkeling trip.  It was alright.  I've been on much better, but it was still a good time.

Timeshare salespeople are EVERYWHERE!  Just ignore them. 

Banderas Bay is huge.  Cab/bus fares can get pricey, especially if you are far from town.  Riu Jalisco is in Nayarit, the next state over.  Getting to the downtown area was time consuing and pricey.

To me, the best thing by far was an overnight excursion to Guadalajara.  I'm really in to history, and Guadalajara has plenty of it.  Beautiful churches and public buildings.  Safe and vibrant downtown.  Huge public square with Mariachis and street performers all over.  Also, stopped in Tequila on the way there.  Toured the Herradura distillery and got samples.  Note:  This is REAL Mexico- not a border town or tourist destination.  Haggling is not customary at the markets.  Prices are low, and they'll give you a discount if you buy multiple items.  Otherwise, don't ask.

Supposedly great whale watching in the winter.  I went in summer. :(

All in all, I like Playa del Carmen, Cozumel, and Cancun, in that order much better.  I did enjoy PV, though.  Just stay the Frank out of Acupulco.  That place is like an 80 year old chick that was hot 50 years ago.

BA Hogwild

Thanks. I was wondering about Playa del Carmen also. We have been to Cancun,Cozumel,Jamacia and the Bahamas. Just trying to figure out a relaxing spot. It will be our 10 yr anniversary and we are going with another couple
The game of life is a lot like football. You have to tackle your fears,block out your problems,and score your points when you get your opportunity

Melhog

July 16, 2008, 09:07:34 am #3 Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 09:10:03 am by Melhog
Quote from: BA Hogwild on July 16, 2008, 08:57:47 am
Thanks. I was wondering about Playa del Carmen also. We have been to Cancun,Cozumel,Jamacia and the Bahamas. Just trying to figure out a relaxing spot. It will be our 10 yr anniversary and we are going with another couple

A lady I work with went to Puerta Vallarta recently and stayed at the All inclusive Vallarta Palace. She loved it and said it was one of the best vacations they have taken.

I've been to Playa and it was very nice.  Very calm compared to Cancun.  SInce its your 10th anniversary you might not mind dropping some serious cash on the Royal Hideaway.  Best vacation we ever had.  Only like 120 rooms so its small and the food was great.  Check out reviews of it on TripAdvisor. It was rated the #1 hotel in Playa.

BA Hogwild

Quote from: Melhog on July 16, 2008, 09:07:34 am
A lady I work with went to Puerta Vallarta recently and stayed at the All inclusive Vallarta Palace. She loved it and said it was one of the best vacations they have taken.

I've been to Playa and it was very nice.  Very calm compared to Cancun.  SInce its your 10th anniversary you might not mind dropping some serious cash on the Royal Hideaway.  Best vacation we ever had.  Only like 120 rooms so its small and the food was great.  Check out reviews of it on TripAdvisor. It was rated the #1 hotel in Playa.

Sweet. +1

Melhog

Quote from: BA Hogwild on July 16, 2008, 10:27:57 am
Sweet. +1

I checked Tripadvisor and Royal Hideaway has dropped to #2 hotel in Playa.  APparently, the beach has eroded in the storm somewhat so that might be a problem for you. We loved it though when we were there.  Sorry for the bad info.

majestic

Quote from: BA Hogwild on July 15, 2008, 01:25:11 pm
Who's been? What did you think?
It really depends on a couple of factors.  I've been going to PV almost annually for 14 years.  It is my favorite place in Mexico.  Of course, since my wife is from there I'm a tad biased. We just got back from spending a month there.

Anywho...  if you go between late June to mid September, you will be miserable outside unless you are in a pool or the ocean.  The rainy season starts late June and daytime temperatures are around 95 with 80% humidity. Think sauna. 

I will agree with the poster that stated that PV is real Mexico.  Unless you hang out only at your resort and the shops along the Malecon (boardwalk), you'll be well advised to speak some Spanish. Of course, if you are going on vacation only to hang by the pool/ocean, go to Cancun or Florida.

The economy here has really hammered PV.  The boardwalk is normally full of tourists (white).  This summer it was 95% locals, and the few white faces belonged to Canadians.  The only thing cheaper there than here is beer and cigarettes. 

I'm not trying to dissuade you from visiting PV.  I just want you to understand that it is worlds apart from Cancun/Cozumel.  There are many fun things to do in PV.  Jungle tours on dune-buggies, the new canopy tour, sightseeing and shopping, a cruise around the bay and much more.  The nice beaches are from 15 minutes south of town to 45+ minutes north. 

Mid-December is the time to visit PV.  Daytime high of 82, nighttime low of 65ish.  Parades and fireworks every night.  I'm missing it again already.

Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

trphog

I went to PV in mid June on my Honeymoon. We had a great time. We stayed at the Dreams Resort.Which was like 15 minutes south of town. It was really nice. The food was just ok. The resort has its own beach which is groomed everyday. There are plenty of activites to do at the resort plus they can hook you up with any of the outside activities. Our room had an Ocean view plus a hot tub on the balcony. It was really nice and clean and relatively cheap. The water was purified which is a plus in Mexico. Downtown was only a $5 cab ride. There is some nice restaurants, bars, and shopping there around the Malecon. I would recommend it to any one. have Fun

PigPusher

We have a condo in one of the older remote resorts at Puerta Vallarta.  We love it down there and look forward to going down there as often as possible.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

BR

Just posted a couple 100 new photos from Puerto Vallarta at

http://bncritters.ning.com/profile/JoetownParrothead
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

BA Hogwild

hog.goblin

Hope you had a great time.  I am sorry I missed this thread back when you posted.  We were in PV in June of 2008 and loved it.  It was kind of a 10-year anniversary for us and we didn't bother with much sightseeing, tours, or the like.

Had a great time though. 

We did like it much more than Cancun, pretty equivalent to Playa Del Carmen (in terms of easy to enjoy - very different cities of course).

hawgrunner

Quote from: hog.goblin on January 31, 2009, 11:00:50 pm
Hope you had a great time.  I am sorry I missed this thread back when you posted.  We were in PV in June of 2008 and loved it.  It was kind of a 10-year anniversary for us and we didn't bother with much sightseeing, tours, or the like.

Had a great time though. 

We did like it much more than Cancun, pretty equivalent to Playa Del Carmen (in terms of easy to enjoy - very different cities of course).

You get to go to all the fun places.  ;)

hog.goblin

Quote from: rock642 on February 01, 2009, 12:07:58 am
You get to go to all the fun places.  ;)

I choose to go to all the fun places :)

hawgrunner

Melhog

April 20, 2009, 01:48:00 pm #16 Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 02:03:04 pm by Melhog
Quote from: Joetown Parrothead on January 30, 2009, 04:03:55 pm
Just posted a couple 100 new photos from Puerto Vallarta at

http://bncritters.ning.com/profile/JoetownParrothead

Joe or Goblin,

where did you stay in PV and did you like it?? Been checking tripadvisor and was thinking about Vallarta Palace which is in Nuevo Vallarta.  Just not sure where to stay. Leaving the kids at home so would like to stay away from crowds of kids...no offense to anyone. Thanks for any help.

hog.goblin

We stayed near the Marina in Puerto Vallarta...CasaMagna Hotel by Marriott.  We left the kids at home.

Our trip consisted of the beach, the room, food, the room, the beach and repeat.

The on-site food was great and there was a lot of variety.  The staff was kind and the rooms were nice.  The beach was average, but the sunsets were some of the best I have ever witnessed.  It was a nice large pool, and there weren't too many kids (college or younger).

We literally left the hotel property once.  We walked to the Marina so we could say we did it.

Melhog

Quote from: hog.goblin on April 21, 2009, 12:38:55 am
We stayed near the Marina in Puerto Vallarta...CasaMagna Hotel by Marriott.  We left the kids at home.

Our trip consisted of the beach, the room, food, the room, the beach and repeat.

The on-site food was great and there was a lot of variety.  The staff was kind and the rooms were nice.  The beach was average, but the sunsets were some of the best I have ever witnessed.  It was a nice large pool, and there weren't too many kids (college or younger).

We literally left the hotel property once.  We walked to the Marina so we could say we did it.

Thanks Goblin. Appreciate the info.

Rocktownhog

Ive been before....had a good time. My dad just got back from the dreams resort there and absolutely loved it.
GO HOGS!

Melhog

Quote from: Rocktownhog on April 30, 2009, 12:44:50 am
Ive been before....had a good time. My dad just got back from the dreams resort there and absolutely loved it.

Thanks Rock

Uncle_dad

Quote from: Melhog on April 20, 2009, 01:48:00 pm
Joe or Goblin,

where did you stay in PV and did you like it?? Been checking tripadvisor and was thinking about Vallarta Palace which is in Nuevo Vallarta.  Just not sure where to stay. Leaving the kids at home so would like to stay away from crowds of kids...no offense to anyone. Thanks for any help.

I stayed at the Riu Jalisco in Nuevo Vallarta.  It was pretty nice, but it's a bit of a ride to the town.  If you want to hit the town and shops and so forth, I'd consider staying closer.  If you just want to hang out on the beach everyday, NV is great.

Melhog

Quote from: Uncle_dad on May 04, 2009, 11:38:22 am
I stayed at the Riu Jalisco in Nuevo Vallarta.  It was pretty nice, but it's a bit of a ride to the town.  If you want to hit the town and shops and so forth, I'd consider staying closer.  If you just want to hang out on the beach everyday, NV is great.

Thanks Unc. Good to know. Not sure I can talk my wife into going anywhere near Mexico since the swine flu outbreak.

peakhog

We've stayed at Casa Cosmos, a private rental Villa just south of town. Private beach, pool on the high cliff, and staff that cook, clean, etc. No tourista stuff there. Just lay back and relax. Best Mexico vacation I ever had.

hog.goblin

Quote from: Melhog on May 04, 2009, 03:18:04 pm
Thanks Unc. Good to know. Not sure I can talk my wife into going anywhere near Mexico since the swine flu outbreak.

Bet you could get great prices about now!  Just take a mask and some theraflu

majestic

Sorry to bring such an old thread back from the dead, but after having just gotten back from PV... Mexico has royally screwed up this once great town. We have a house in PV that I'm thinking about selling after this most recent trip. We'll still go back, because my wife's family all still lives there, but I'll go all-inclusive resort from now on.

*Prices for everything are now more than here.
*They shut down two blocks of the Malecon and ended up closing half of the businesses along it, 
  which exacerbated or caused point #1.
*The bay is a cesspool. I wouldn't touch the water within 15 miles of downtown in either direction
  now. Fecal contamination warnings were at "moderate" levels from the Marina all the way down to
  Mismaloya.
*In an effort to pursue what tourist dollars are still available, the formerly fine-dining
  establishments have all turned into Sr. Frogs. *** Cafe de Artistes was pouring tequila into
  drunken patrons' mouths, for God's sake!

They paved paradise and put up a parking lot. How I miss the old PV. :(

DLUXHOG

Stay in the "tourist" zone!   Whatever you do, do not rent a car and decide to go explore how the natives live out of the "tourist" zone....  Otherwise, PV is beautiful.......
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Dillar Dog

We passed it coming from cabo to go to manzanillo.   You should do the same.

majestic

Quote from: DLUXHOG on January 06, 2015, 07:33:40 pm
Stay in the "tourist" zone!   Whatever you do, do not rent a car and decide to go explore how the natives live out of the "tourist" zone....  Otherwise, PV is beautiful.......
THAT is what is sad. It used to be just the opposite.

HawgWild

Had a stop over in PV during a month long Mexico trip back in the mid 1970s. It was a sleepy little town then; cobblestone streets, mule pulled carts, farmer's markets. Nothing like what I'm seeing it's like today.

majestic

Quote from: Dillar Dog on January 06, 2015, 07:34:31 pm
We passed it coming from cabo to go to manzanillo.   You should do the same.
Man, how is Cabo San Lucas? I've never been to that part of Mexico.

majestic

Quote from: HawgWild on January 07, 2015, 04:36:12 pm
Had a stop over in PV during a month long Mexico trip back in the mid 1970s. It was a sleepy little town then; cobblestone streets, mule pulled carts, farmer's markets. Nothing like what I'm seeing it's like today.
Even the previous time I went in 2008 it still felt like a quaint, real Mexican town. Now it feels like Matamoros on a (dirty) beach.

Dillar Dog

Quote from: majestic on January 07, 2015, 06:19:33 pm
Man, how is Cabo San Lucas? I've never been to that part of Mexico.

Too touristy.  We had fun and met some good people, but it's low on Mexico priority list.

pigture perfect

I went in February of '12. Whale watching was amazing. Got almost close enough to pet. Sailing and fishing was great as well.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

ricepig

Quote from: Dillar Dog on January 07, 2015, 06:55:44 pm
Too touristy.  We had fun and met some good people, but it's low on Mexico priority list.

Depends on what you want, I enjoy Cabo, but I only stay at Las Ventanas and go for the golfing and fishing. We probably don't spend 3/4 hours in downtown Cabo except to get a charter.

Dillar Dog

Quote from: ricepig on January 07, 2015, 07:48:56 pm
Depends on what you want, I enjoy Cabo, but I only stay at Las Ventanas and go for the golfing and fishing. We probably don't spend 3/4 hours in downtown Cabo except to get a charter.

The only reason we stopped was to get supplies and pick up my dad.  There was nothing there that makes me want to go back unless I'm stopping by like the last time.

Cabo isn't a destination to me, it's a resupply point.

majestic

Quote from: Dillar Dog on January 07, 2015, 07:54:24 pm
The only reason we stopped was to get supplies and pick up my dad.  There was nothing there that makes me want to go back unless I'm stopping by like the last time.

Cabo isn't a destination to me, it's a resupply point.

Oh, I forgot, you are a real sailor.

Dillar Dog

If you want to call it that.

HawgWild

So, DD, what are your destination pints in Mexico? Curious minds want to know.

Other stops on my Mexico trip years back were Mazatlan, Manzanillo, Taxco and Veracruz. I bet I wouldn't recognize any of these places now.

Dillar Dog

We were just passing through.

I wish I could've spent more time in l.a. crucecita though.  It was a nice little town.  I'll try to make it back there for a week or two.

HawgWild

You going by boat again next trip? Enjoyed your travelogue.

pigture perfect

Man, I wish I was in PV right now. Or Zihuantanejo. I could get busy living.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

BR

We love staying up at Bucerias, awesome little town with some cool bars..
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

majestic

Quote from: BR on January 08, 2015, 02:06:56 pm
We love staying up at Bucerias, awesome little town with some cool bars..
As much as I bitch about PV, I'd like to be back there right now after dealing with ZERO degree weather this morning.

majestic

Quote from: majestic on January 08, 2015, 02:40:34 pm
As much as I bitch about PV, I'd like to be back there right now after dealing with ZERO degree weather this morning.
No I wouldn't.... haha!  Just got back this weekend.  I know I've said not to go this time of the year, and man was I ever right. HOT, HUMID, BRUTAL.  We did stay in a nice hotel with a good pool and beach access.

Just to add a couple of things for anyone considering going:

*El Eden/Predator tour.  SKIP this joke. My son laughed at the entrance and said, "so I HAVE to take a picture with the fat guy in a leopard suit?" Seriously, that's what the Predator suit looks like. They have built so much around the falls that it is just too crowded.  I seriously felt trapped in there and the 45 minute ride was just too much. 

*Snorkeling around Los Arcos.  This was actually kind of fun.  I took the kids and my brother in law out on a small boat and spent about an hour swimming around.  The water quality was improved over the last time and was clearer than I expected.  Cheap, too.  They charged 100 pesos per person, which is about $6.

The airport in PV continues to be a freaking nightmare.  Upon arrival, exiting customs, get ready for the swarm of timeshare, transportation, etc. vendors.  Also plan to take it up the rump if you get a cab directly from the airport. Since we were arriving to surprise everyone, we didn't have our normal family transport.  I paid $30 to get to the hotel, which is about double the norm. 

Also, when leaving we had to take a bus to the plane.  That's right; stand outside the terminal in the blazing sun and wait for a freaking bus to come pick you up and take you to the plane.  Unreal.

Also, F%$# American Airlines in the ear.  Our flight in got delayed and caused us to miss our connecting flight home in Dallas. After waiting in line for 2 hours, they offered us a hotel room with one bed (for 5 people) and cab fare.  I was so pissed that I just rented a car and drove home. That was fun, arriving home at 4am.

Back to PV.... the exchange rate right now is around 17.35 which makes things pretty cheap.  12 pack of Tecate Light at the OXXO was about $6.  I would recommend not using a lot of cash if you can.  I always use my Capital One card for pretty much everything I can.  No foreign transaction fees, highest exchange rates, fraud protection, etc.  Plus, exchanging money is a pain in the ass now.

I'm sending some $ down this week to have the bathrooms redone at the house.  I'm also planning on upgrading to a solar hot water heater and possibly adding air-conditioning so that we can just stay at the house if we go in the summer.   

Hog_Fink

My mom moved there in April. I drove our dogs down early July. It was a trek, but i really enjoy Mexico. Puerto Vallarta and surrounding areas are lovely. Saving a ton of money renting for my mom down there.

Only issue i had was during torrential rains, i got caught in a flood. Totaled my engine. Dealing with mexican insurance company and mechanic was a nightmare

majestic

Quote from: galactivation on August 17, 2016, 01:03:39 pm
My mom moved there in April. I drove our dogs down early July. It was a trek, but i really enjoy Mexico. Puerto Vallarta and surrounding areas are lovely. Saving a ton of money renting for my mom down there.

Only issue i had was during torrential rains, i got caught in a flood. Totaled my engine. Dealing with mexican insurance company and mechanic was a nightmare
What part of town did she move to?

Hog_Fink

Quote from: majestic on August 17, 2016, 01:27:43 pm
What part of town did she move to?

Las gaviotas. From my understanding it was the first residential neoghborhood built outside of old town in the 70s. Short drive to the malecon. We rented in April right around the start of low season, so we got a pretty good deal.

majestic

Yep, know it well.  We are in the old centro, about two blocks north of the church.

HawgWild

Any of you PV travelers ever eaten at La Leche? Saw where "El Chapo's" son and 5 others were abducted from there while having a meal. A couple of TA reviewers mentioned the event in their reviews. One said they'd have given it more stars if there hadn't been a kidnapping at the next table.  ;D

http://www.lalecherestaurant.com/