Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema opens up about his wife receiving death threats and life in the SEC

Started by RunDMC901, December 19, 2013, 01:19:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

arkbadger

social media brings out and emphasizes the vocal minority of idiots from all fan bases.  let's not forget it was only a couple of short weeks ago when a recruit flipped from the Hogs to aTm there were some home fans that were rather upset.
You can keep that skoal baby.

MacHog19

Quote from: jkstock04 on December 19, 2013, 01:43:42 pm
I'm not making excuses.... I'm just saying welcome to the world we live in.

Don't put yourself and your family in that situation in the first place would be my advice.
So by your rationale, the girl/woman who is raped is at fault for her clothing choice?  Clearly, you ARE making excuses.  There is no scenario that justifies a death threat.  None.  Period.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Quote from: kj0N on December 19, 2013, 01:46:58 pm
Isn't this the same site that did the anonymous coach previewing SEC teams?

Something about this site stinks.

Don't know that I have ever said this before, but I agree with your post here 100%
Let's make some waves.

The NewEra

Quote from: jkstock04 on December 19, 2013, 01:26:33 pm
Death threats aren't excusable....but they open themselves up to this BS with their controversial participation in the social media network world.

Guarantee you a high percentage of high profile people in the media or showbiz go through this stuff all the time....& the twitter stuff is only gonna magnify it.

Now that's just great logic.  The pretty girl should never be seen in public, but because she was she opened herself up to rape.

Threats of any kind are unacceptable PERIOD!

Let's make some waves.

Quote from: Kevin on December 19, 2013, 02:30:31 pm
anybody thinks a death threat is acceptable, needs to check themselves.

I don't think I have seen anyone on here condoning death threats.
Let's make some waves.

The NewEra

I can't believe all of the excuses I've read on this thread.  What ever happened to a society where people called out the ones who were doing it wrong and getting way out of hand?  If this is the way our society is going as a whole then you people who are willing to sit back and not take a stand against the idiots of the world are going to be confronted with them head on some day.  I hope that's not the case.

Steef

I just hope and pray that neither Bret nor Jen reads this thread.

Or any of the other crap that gets said about them.

Death threats. And classless message boarders.

Over a football game.

The only thing JEN is guilty of, is trying to show some Hog spirit. Obviously, our fanbase has killed her desire to continue that.

This really sucks. Some of 'fans'...really suck.

Hoggie17

Quote from: Hoggie17 on December 19, 2013, 02:54:51 pm
Bielema also addressed his wife's role in the Razorbacks' season. Jen Bielema came under fire early in the year after she tweeted "#karma" following Wisconsin's loss to Arizona State. Fans responded by sending Jen Bielema death threats.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/bret-bielema-opens-struggles-during-first-season-arkansas-204545754--ncaaf.html

This makes it clear that it was angry Winsonsin fans.

Dirty

Quote from: MacHog19 on December 19, 2013, 03:26:22 pm
So by your rationale, the girl/woman who is raped is at fault for her clothing choice?  Clearly, you ARE making excuses.  There is no scenario that justifies a death threat.  None.  Period.

This...

three hog night

Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on December 19, 2013, 01:39:02 pm
You lost me at "Death threats aren't excusable....BUT".
There is no excuse for that, no time, never.
None of CBB or his wife's media exposure has invited any such a felonious criminal response.
Actually the vast majority of their media has been purposed for one goal...promoting the Razorbacks.

Amen!!!
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

RunDMC901

Does it not frustrate anyone that he has blamed 1) The players 2) Recruiting and now 3) God ?!!!  Why can't the man accept that he might not be the greatest coach alive?This guy is a joke! Smite away, but I can't stand Bert, his excuses or his windbreakers.

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: LedZepHog on December 19, 2013, 02:43:22 pm
Not a big deal, huh?  Well, if my son had offers from BB, Saban, Sumlin, and Miles, I would absolutely point out to him that three of those head coaches act like grown-ass men.  Some of you might think being a punk is cute, but I guess I'm from a different neck of the woods.

Which 3 of them are grown (or as you quite classily said "grown-ass men")? Is it Saban who whines at reporters for asking questions at a press conference? Or Miles who knows how to put an a-r in front of Kansas?
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: UCAhog6 on December 19, 2013, 01:31:09 pm
To be fair, how many of those comments were coming from Wisconsin fans?

Shouldn't matter where they come from. It is WRONG.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Philip Seaton

Death threats aren't excusable....but they open themselves up to this BS with their controversial participation in the social media network world.

Guarantee you a high percentage of high profile people in the media or showbiz go through this stuff all the time....& the twitter stuff is only gonna magnify it. 

Open themselves up to it? Huh? Really? Social media is the norm these days. Like or not. No one should have their life threatened ever. While some may be turned off by social media, others are not. Particularly, 16-, 17- and 18-year-olds, who the last time I checked, are the ones he is recruiting.

Philip Seaton

Don't put yourself and your family in that situation in the first place would be my advice.

Put yourself in what situation? Coaching a football team? What? See above, social media is the norm these days. So what if you don't like his comments. He is showing his personality. I don't agree with some of what he says, but I applaud him for being on there.

Hogchick

That's
Quote from: PorkRinds on December 19, 2013, 02:00:08 pm
So CBB responds to a fan with "look in the mirror" and jen says "karma" and now they have a social media problem?  Those two tweets have zero chance of resulting in a death threat.  I would assume, and the safe assumption to make would be, that either a pissed off Wisconsin fan or an insane Arkansas fan threatened his wife.  This has happened before social media and will happen forever, but let's not start blaming the victim.  That's like blaming a rape victim for "dressing like a slut". 

BINGO!!

Vantage 8 dude

The first four words of your comment is all that's necessary to know. It's inexcusable- Period!!

MacHog19

Quote from: RunDMC901 on December 19, 2013, 04:01:48 pm
Does it not frustrate anyone that he has blamed 1) The players 2) Recruiting and now 3) God ?!!!  Why can't the man accept that he might not be the greatest coach alive?This guy is a joke! Smite away, but I can't stand Bert, his excuses or his windbreakers.
What are you talking about that he's blamed his players, recruiting and the Almighty?  It's fine if you don't like CBB, but I think you're off base on these comments.

MacHog19

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on December 19, 2013, 03:37:19 pm
I don't think I have seen anyone on here condoning death threats.
No, but there are those who are making allowances or exceptions by implying that CBB and Jen had it coming to them.

jkstock04

Quote from: Two wrongs don't make a D'Nerian Wrighter on December 19, 2013, 05:39:19 pm
Put yourself in what situation? Coaching a football team? What? See above, social media is the norm these days. So what if you don't like his comments. He is showing his personality. I don't agree with some of what he says, but I applaud him for being on there.
His comments and his wife's have been controversial to say the least. Does that excuse the death threats? No absolutely not.

Everyone has missed my point. My main point is what do you expect? The internet and social media in general is a breeding ground for crazies. A high profile person(s) getting on there and especially if they get in spats with others? Ya the lunatic fringe hiding behind a screen name are gonna come out.

True story, I once my truck got stolen. I was an idiot...left my keys in the ignition doors unlocked. Did I deserve to get my truck stolen? NO! But what do you expect? I left my truck unattended, unlocked, and keys in ignition. Sucks, but such is the way of life. This is my point.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Quote from: MacHog19 on December 19, 2013, 05:58:23 pm
No, but there are those who are making allowances or exceptions by implying that CBB and Jen had it coming to them.

Nobody has that "coming".   I think what some are saying is when a coach comes off as a blow hard, and gets into it a bit with fans on twitter he should expect some backlash.  I don't twitter, but I would bet many that do will say mean things simply to get a reply.  I actually find the whole following players and recruits on twitter a little creepy, but that's just me.
Let's make some waves.

BOAR_N2BWILD

Really? Because she is the wife of a football coach she should not be allowed to have the same public avenues of expression. People like you should really try really hard to think before writing. That is ridiculous.   
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

WilsonHog

I think my advice would be, "Don't threaten somebody's life over a freakin' football game."

rude1

Quote from: The NewEra on December 19, 2013, 03:42:00 pm
I can't believe all of the excuses I've read on this thread.  What ever happened to a society where people called out the ones who were doing it wrong and getting way out of hand?  If this is the way our society is going as a whole then you people who are willing to sit back and not take a stand against the idiots of the world are going to be confronted with them head on some day.  I hope that's not the case.
I just think you are taking the point that some are trying to make out of context. Here is the perspective I get: Everywhere across this nation there are neighborhoods where there is "known" drug activity. If you knowingly ventured into one of these locations and get assaulted and robbed, nobody would think you deserved it, but nobody would be surprised that it happened to you.

nextlevel

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 19, 2013, 06:22:21 pm
I think my advice would be, "Don't threaten somebody's life over a freakin' football game."

But how else is people expected to learned Bert that this is the SEC, it ain't the big 10, Bert needs to win footbaw games if he wants to quit lookin oer his dadgum shoulder. rabble rabble rabble
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

zxbeer

UA Class of 90

PorkRinds

Quote from: LedZepHog on December 19, 2013, 02:43:22 pm
Not a big deal, huh?  Well, if my son had offers from BB, Saban, Sumlin, and Miles, I would absolutely point out to him that three of those head coaches act like grown-ass men.  Some of you might think being a punk is cute, but I guess I'm from a different neck of the woods.
Ah. So when saban goes off on a reporter. Or les miles acts like a moron, that's a grown ass man. But CBB responds on twitter and he's juvenile? Psh. Give me a break.

Sivad

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on December 19, 2013, 06:01:27 pm
...when a coach comes off as a blow hard, and gets into it a bit with fans on twitter he should expect some backlash. 
Death threats are not "some backlash".

wachhog

BB  please read Proverbs 17:28.  Or, heed old Abe's advice.  PULEEZE,

M L (bassplayer)

....but they open themselves up to this BS with their controversial participation in the social media network world. 

Seriously? "the social media network world"? You mean the place where most current recruits are?
Oh, yeah it would probably be better if we wouldn't "participate"?

TOM "tbw1"

I find it interesting that those trying to "explain" the situation are those who are very critical of Bielema.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

kaiserhog

If any fans were threatening then Wisconsin Fans would be suspect #1.

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: wachhog on December 19, 2013, 06:46:37 pm
BB  please read Proverbs 17:28.  Or, heed old Abe's advice.  PULEEZE,

Even a fool, when he keeps silent, is considered wise; When he closes his lips, he is considered prudent.

Are you saying the head coach of the Razorbacks is a fool?
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

Hogeration

I too think they were probably Badger fans.  I suspect the only Hog fans that would offer death threats would be those without a computer or knowledge of social media. 

jabohog

Quote from: superior_wang on December 19, 2013, 01:32:22 pm
dead on. if shed stay the hell off public stuff,   that would help greatly... too late for that...
Oh, so it's her fault she's receiving death threats? What a crock, I guess all the women raped are to blame cause of the clothes they wear. Y'all are ridiculous.

WilsonHog

The saddest, most pathetic part of this is obviously that death threats were made.

Running an extremely close second are the fans who either blame it on the Bielemas or "Wisconsin fans."

This is very easy to do. Repeat after me:

"We have some irrational fans who are so ignorant that it's a small miracle they can draw a breath."

Quote from: Sivad on December 19, 2013, 06:40:27 pm
Death threats are not "some backlash".

If you are gonna quote me knucklehead use the entire quote.  Not just the snippet you want to fit your smart butt reply.
Let's make some waves.

nextlevel

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" W. on December 19, 2013, 08:15:11 pm
Even a fool, when he keeps silent, is considered wise; When he closes his lips, he is considered prudent.

Are you saying the head coach of the Razorbacks is a fool?

He's probably one of those "Bert needs to get of the twitters and get to work, oh and win some damn games" type people.
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

rude1

Quote from: jabohog on December 19, 2013, 08:59:24 pm
Oh, so it's her fault she's receiving death threats? What a crock, I guess all the women raped are to blame cause of the clothes they wear. Y'all are ridiculous.
I have seen this comparison used over and over in this thread. Are we really equating internet threats to rape? I am simply appalled that some would drag rape out the closet and attempt to fit it in this discussion. Can we not find better examples to validate our point?

kaiserhog

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 19, 2013, 09:21:12 pm
The saddest, most pathetic part of this is obviously that death threats were made.

Running an extremely close second are the fans who either blame it on the Bielemas or "Wisconsin fans."

"We have some irrational fans who are so ignorant that it's a small miracle they can draw a breath."
Death threat are unacceptable and a crime.  What is a close second is someone who uses such to advance an agenda.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 19, 2013, 09:21:12 pm

So true, they are posting on this board every single day...and tweeting Clay Travis.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: rude1 on December 19, 2013, 09:29:07 pm
I have seen this comparison used over and over in this thread. Are we really equating internet threats to rape? I am simply appalled that some would drag rape out the closet and attempt to fit it in this discussion. Can we not find better examples to validate our point?

I don't know, death threats and rape are both pretty serious, in my opinion.  And we have people who have a tendency to blame the victim in each case.

I do see a parallel.

WilsonHog

Read this quote and see if it applies:

"On the other hand, it's easy to lose perspective and self-control. Those flaws are magnified by the easy access to professional athletes provided by Twitter."

"In an interview with The New York Times last year, I made the point that the hobby has grown progressively darker as the popularity rages out of control. There should be just a hint of shame involved when one lives out his fantasies through the actions of others."

kaiserhog

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 19, 2013, 09:53:11 pm
Read this quote and see if it applies:

"On the other hand, it's easy to lose perspective and self-control. Those flaws are magnified by the easy access to professional athletes provided by Twitter."

"In an interview with The New York Times last year, I made the point that the hobby has grown progressively darker as the popularity rages out of control. There should be just a hint of shame involved when one lives out his fantasies through the actions of others."

Sounds like reasons to stay off twitter.

nextlevel

Quote from: kaiserhog on December 19, 2013, 09:55:18 pm
Sounds like reasons to stay off twitter.

There are those who shouldn't use it, those who can't control themselves IRL and now they get an "anonymous" outlet.

If you are talking about the athletes/celebs, that is like saying it was Jodie Foster's fault for the attempted Reagan assassination because she was in Taxi Driver.

ell oh ell

hoglady

Did ya'll not read the crazy threats and vile spewed at and about Mack Brown by Longhorn fans who blamed him for screwing up the Saban hire?

I'm sure if Brown has a Twitter account it was blown up with horrible stuff.

Sports fans, anonymous behind a keyboard are a crazy lot.
All coaches would be wise to use Twitter for recruits only and ignore the "fans".
My guess is stuff like this is not unique to Coach B and his wife, but something that most coaches have experienced if they use social media.
There's some crazy people in this world - who act even crazier when hiding behind a keyboard.
No excuse for such behavior, but it's the reality of the cyberworld.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

rude1

Quote from: DukeOfPork on December 19, 2013, 09:49:26 pm
I don't know, death threats and rape are both pretty serious, in my opinion.  And we have people who have a tendency to blame the victim in each case.

I do see a parallel.
For the life of me I can't see the parallel in an actual rape, and an internet death threat.

nextlevel

Quote from: rude1 on December 19, 2013, 10:01:41 pm
For the life of me I can't see the parallel in an actual rape, and an internet death threat.

In both instances the victim is portrayed as "asking" for said transgression to occur to them.

Not a hard concept to grasp.

ell oh ell