Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Largest supporters during the Pel Era

Started by dsims2k3, January 22, 2012, 02:02:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dsims2k3

It seems as if some the largest supporters during the Pel Era are now the most consistent critics of this team. What ever happened being all in and getting behind this team? We will be fine and the program is going in the right direction.
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

Breems

Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

OptimusHog

Quote from: Breems on January 22, 2012, 02:05:46 pm
We're getting outrebounded.

I saw Sanchez out on Dickson last night. Had no trouble snatching a few shots, why can't he snatch a few rebounds?

PoormansRobbyHampton

I'm not sure about that. Smithian has been relatively supportive this year and people like HA and HogFather have been pretty good too.

I think that Jump Ball is leaps and bounds better than it was last year as far as quality discussion. It reflects the state of the program almost exactly, in my opinion.

Before it's out pointed out, yes, I realize that I was one of the worst offenders as far as stirring the pot the past four years, but I couldn't be happier now.

dsims2k3

Quote from: Breems on January 22, 2012, 02:05:46 pm
We're getting outrebounded.
I believe that we are the shortest team in the league, but we are #1 in steals.

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

99toLife

I think many posters felt sorry for Pel last year, Knew he took over a mess and also thought he was in over his head....Kind of like cheering for the fat kid on a little league baseball team that the coach put at Shortstop...Just a no win Situation...

In CMA's case no one thinks he is in a bad spot or in over his head so most discussions are on his actual coaching style and game time decisions...  It's a big step up here...

dsims2k3

Quote from: PoormansRobbyHampton on January 22, 2012, 02:11:00 pm
I'm not sure about that. Smithian has been relatively supportive this year and people like HA and HogFather have been pretty good too.

I think that Jump Ball is leaps and bounds better than it was last year as far as quality discussion. It reflects the state of the program almost exactly, in my opinion.

Before it's out pointed out, yes, I realize that I was one of the worst offenders as far as stirring the pot the past four years, but I couldn't be happier now.
I am very happy too. I just wish that everyone could see what the majority of the fanbase sees, rather than pointing out the obvious. The bad rebounding is an understatement, but i'm
sure that will get better in time. The season has been the most interesting in a long time.

HF#1

Mike will bring back the casual fans.  I have alot of friends that quit watching or paying attention years ago but this team has peaked their interest again. 

Pelphrey never would have succeeded here.  Not with it being his first gig.  In 10 years he may figure it out and be a successful coach. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Danny J

Quote from: hogfan#1 on January 22, 2012, 02:22:25 pm
Mike will bring back the casual fans.  I have alot of friends that quit watching or paying attention years ago but this team has peaked their interest again. 

Pelphrey never would have succeeded here.  Not with it being his first gig.  In 10 years he may figure it out and be a successful coach.
I agree. The fans for so many years were used to a certain pace that was exciting to watch. Now that the pace is back...the fans will start to come back as long as we continue to win at home. Start losing at home to bad teams and continue to play bad on the road...then many of the casual fans will stay apathetic to the whole situation.

99toLife

100% agree...

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: dsims2k3 on January 22, 2012, 02:20:51 pm
I am very happy too. I just wish that everyone could see what the majority of the fanbase sees, rather than pointing out the obvious. The bad rebounding is an understatement, but i'm
sure that will get better in time. The season has been the most interesting in a long time.

I think most people realized that we weren't going to set any Arkansas rebounding records under Mike Anderson and if they thought we were, they haven't been paying attention.

Nipsey Mussle

Pelphrey never would have succeeded here. Not with it being his first gig.  In 10 years he may figure it out and be a successful coach.
South Alabama

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Razorback88

I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone outside Pel's immediate family who isn't happy with the coaching change, especially after yesterday. 

There will always be complaining on message boards but that doesn't necessarily mean you don't support the coach.  I yelled at Petrino every time Broderick barrelled up the middle for no gain but I've still got a mancrush on him.

nwarazfan

Quote from: dsims2k3 on January 22, 2012, 02:02:54 pm
It seems as if some the largest supporters during the Pel Era are now the most consistent critics of this team. What ever happened being all in and getting behind this team? We will be fine and the program is going in the right direction.

You didn't expect those that went with the scorched earth doesn't matter what they say as long as they get Coach A back policy were going give honest assessments of his coaching or the team's play did you?  Or those who just wanted to be childish and stir the pot as one has already admitted to doing in this thread.  We have posters including mods who beg for Coach A not to be questioned in anticipation of a loss.  That is new.  None of our last 3 coaches were shielded from criticism.  Coach A will have a long long honeymoon.  It's obvious the direction that this forum will go and how it will be moderated.  You aren't going to get many who want to tolerate attacks to post honest opinions if they could be taken as negative to the program or Coach A. 

You want people to be all in now?  After 9 years of divisiveness and attacking each other and going after anyone who didn't want Pelphrey or Heath fired after every loss and most wins you want our fans just to come back together?  It's going to take time and winning for that. 

Now a disclaimer: I'm not saying Coach A deserves to be questioned much so far.  Way too early and it may not ever be necessary. 

HF#1

I've been pretty tough on their rebounding.  Only because they can do better than what they have been doing.  Yes, Mike's system is the reason for some of it but we shouldn't get smoked on the boards every game.  Ole Miss was incredibly frustrating.

fuzion1

Young team and we are still winning. Look what Anderson has done for mizzou.  Nuff said

99toLife

Quote from: fuzion1 on January 22, 2012, 02:44:59 pm
Young team and we are still winning. Look what Anderson has done for mizzou.  Nuff said

What exactly did he do for Mizzou?

HF#1

Quote from: 99toLife on January 22, 2012, 02:48:38 pm
What exactly did he do for Mizzou?

See their current ranking and roster.  Frank Haith is just sending them out to play.

HawgAdvocate

January 22, 2012, 02:51:03 pm #19 Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 02:53:10 pm by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: PoormansRobbyHampton on January 22, 2012, 02:11:00 pm

Exactly right.

If someone wants to discuss why we struggled in the 2nd half, after shooting a mind-blowing 65ish% in the 1st, that should NOT be automatic grounds for flame wars to start. I understand the concepts around facing multiple defensive sets is far beyond the realm of thought for many here. But if you can't join the conversation like a mature adult, then don't flip out and start attacking people just because you don't have a clue.

The season isn't close to being over, and a lot of teams will see how Michigan slowed us down at home. If you (recent flamers know who you are, including the OP whose sole point in this was to flame some more) can't help but wet your diaper every time a mature discussion occurs on what our team is doing (good & bad), I don't have time for you.

STOP DRAGGING THE DISCUSSION BACK TO NON-STOP FLAMING LIKE A BUNCH OF JUNIOR HIGH CHILDREN!
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

nwarazfan

Suddenly Jump Ball wants to be reasonable and have discussions.  Posters want to look at the roster and be reasonable about expectations and wins and losses. 

99toLife

Quote from: hogfan#1 on January 22, 2012, 02:49:44 pm
See their current ranking and roster.  Frank Haith is just sending them out to play.

See our current roster, Mike Anderson is just sending them out to play...Right?

HF#1

Quote from: 99toLife on January 22, 2012, 02:54:49 pm
See our current roster, Mike Anderson is just sending them out to play...Right?

Not sure where you are going with that?

Triple T

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: nwarazfan on January 22, 2012, 02:53:33 pm
Suddenly Jump Ball wants to be reasonable and have discussions.  Posters want to look at the roster and be reasonable about expectations and wins and losses.

It's nice to have a coach in place that can win some games and not make excuses about losing our top two leading scorers from last year and with only 9 scholarship players. Breath of fresh air, if you ask me.

nwarazfan

Like Coach A did last Feb and March?

99toLife

Quote from: hogfan#1 on January 22, 2012, 02:55:44 pm
Not sure where you are going with that?

Haith is playing players totally different Than MA did,  and MA is Playing players totally different than Pelphrey did..  Kind of Stupid to say Mizzou success so far this year is because of MA and then say Arkansas success this year isn't because of Pelphrey..  can't have it both ways...

LJHOG

I had high hopes for Pelphrey.  But, I'm happy with the job MA has done to this point.

HoginClinton

As for me, I'm the same as I have always been. What has changed is most of Jump ball went from one side to the other while I stood still.

slopman

They finished 23-11 last year, I'd say what he(Haight)  is doing shows he is exceeding anything MA did with the regular season

Smithian

After people constantly slammed posters like myself for supporting the team last season and many called for boycotts of games, you're now lecturing the people who supported the team last season to do a better job supporting the team this year? Seriously? What poster stopped supporting the program? HawgAdvocate, myself, and others still attend games, keep up with closely, and cheer loudly. We support Mike Anderson. The very idea a pot stirrer from last season is now calling for civility is laughable.

You're angry since some of us are realistic. Jump Ball is either ultra high or ultra low, no in between. Jump Ball certainly doesn't want to hear views going against the majority.

Last season being realistic made most posters angry since they wanted nothing but posts slamming John Pelphrey as the anti-Christ. In a Jump Ball where it was common to find threads calling for him to be fired after wins, ripping him for discussing a dead child, saying he was a drug user, claiming half the team was transferring over Christmas, etc, etc, etc, it wasn't welcome when some people could stay calm and look at things objectively.

This year you want nothing but "OMG I AM SO HAPPY POSTS". Now some posters are again being realistic and it goes against the flow. I know this is tough for the average Jump Ball poster to understand, but you can like Mike Anderson and think he is a really good coach even if you don't agree with 100% of what he does.

If your issue with me is I like John Pelphrey, then you can just click the ignore button. Support for a coach is not a zero-sum game. You don't have to dislike one coach to like another.

I started paying attention to Hog basketball closely when Stan Heath was the coach. Really like Stan Heath, wish him the best, and think he isn't a bad coach. He took an Arkansas program that was nuked at the end by Nolan and stabilized a horrible situation with dignity and class. He took the program from point A to B, but couldn't take it from B to C. We fired him under the assumption we could go hire Billy Gillispie or another elite coach. That didn't happen.

Pelphrey was hired at a time where the expectation was to go from Point B to Point C. He was not able to make it happen. Early mistakes in recruiting and management of his program sunk it and by the time he made some forward progress the situation was overly toxic and it was time to move on to another option.

Mike Anderson has now been hired to take us from Point B to Point C. I personally believe he'll be the guy to do it. He was the best option we could realistically ask for and he was paid a massive amount of money that hopefully will pay off. I think he'll eventually turn us into a good program that spends more time than not in the Top 25 and will put the Hogs in position to make a couple deep runs in the NCAA tourney. It only takes one run in the tourney to make history.

If you're issue with me is I don't agree with 100% of his coaching decisions, then too bad. I think Bobby Petrino is one of the top 5 coaches in America, maybe even the best next to Nick Saban. I still don't agree with every single thing he does. The point of message boards is to discuss sports. If you can't handle viewpoints other than your own, delete your account and never come back because you're in the wrong place.

If you don't like me because I like John Pelphrey as a person and wish him the best, like I said earlier just click ignore. I couldn't care less your opinion of me.

HoginClinton

Quote from: nwarazfan on January 22, 2012, 02:43:21 pm
You didn't expect those that went with the scorched earth doesn't matter what they say as long as they get Coach A back policy were going give honest assessments of his coaching or the team's play did you?  Or those who just wanted to be childish and stir the pot as one has already admitted to doing in this thread.  We have posters including mods who beg for Coach A not to be questioned in anticipation of a loss.  That is new.  None of our last 3 coaches were shielded from criticism.  Coach A will have a long long honeymoon.  It's obvious the direction that this forum will go and how it will be moderated.  You aren't going to get many who want to tolerate attacks to post honest opinions if they could be taken as negative to the program or Coach A. 

You want people to be all in now?  After 9 years of divisiveness and attacking each other and going after anyone who didn't want Pelphrey or Heath fired after every loss and most wins you want our fans just to come back together?  It's going to take time and winning for that. 

Now a disclaimer: I'm not saying Coach A deserves to be questioned much so far.  Way too early and it may not ever be necessary.
Yep.

Smithian

Quote from: HoginClinton on January 22, 2012, 03:24:56 pm
As for me, I'm the same as I have always been. What has changed is most of Jump ball went from one side to the other while I stood still.
I may have to sig this. Great post.

I'm a realist and I'm a fan of the Arkansas Razorbacks. I'm a fan whether the coach is John Pelphrey or Mike Anderson. I'm a fan whether the Hogs win or lose.

I'll never be a fair weather fan of my own University and the Flagship Institution of my home state. Don't give a damn who the coach is, the players on the court are representing the Arkansas Razorbacks.

99toLife

Quote from: Smithian on January 22, 2012, 03:33:13 pm

I'm a realist and I'm a fan of the Arkansas Razorbacks. I'm a fan whether the coach is John Pelphrey or Mike Anderson. I'm a fan whether the Hogs win or lose.

I'll never be a fair weather fan of my own University and the Flagship Institution of my home state. Don't give a damn who the coach is, the players on the court are representing the Arkansas Razorbacks.

Homer   ;)

HoginClinton

Quote from: Smithian on January 22, 2012, 03:33:13 pm

Go for it. That long post was spot on too.

WilsonHog

I am probably the most active administrator in Jump Ball. I am also completely, 100% sold on Mike Anderson. Last year, I was completely, 100% against John Pelphrey. Last two years, actually. Sometimes it is difficult to separate personal feelings from admin duties, but it is what it is.

That being said, my top priority for Jump Ball this year has been to restore civility.

Think of it this way. Suppose Jump Ball is an internet table in a bar, and at that table are a collection of fans. Some of those people believe in Anderson, some don't. Some don't want to hear any criticisms, others want to offer them. The minute the discussion between people at that internet "table" turns heated, the thread will immediately go to the Trash Can or Vents and Rumors. If the further action of banning someone needs to take place, that's cool too.

That's just the way it is.

PeytonManningSUCKS

January 24, 2012, 07:53:01 am #36 Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 08:32:26 am by RanSolo
Quote from: 99toLife on January 22, 2012, 02:59:18 pm
Haith is playing players totally different Than MA did,  and MA is Playing players totally different than Pelphrey did..  Kind of Stupid to say Mizzou success so far this year is because of MA and then say Arkansas success this year isn't because of Pelphrey..  can't have it both ways...
I was pro Pel ( couldn't be happier with the switch), but you can't be equating our success with missouri's this year? They are number 2 and we are unranked...

98hogs

Quote from: OptimusHog on January 22, 2012, 02:10:42 pm
I saw Sanchez out on Dickson last night. Had no trouble snatching a few shots, why can't he snatch a few rebounds?
LOL,  How was the hairdo boy