Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Oracle (Porkatarian) has spoken in MMQ

Started by Airforcehawg, November 22, 2017, 09:32:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

FATHAWG08

I love off season Football!!

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: d3maybe on November 22, 2017, 12:49:55 pm
BP's offense didn't get shut down by Elite SEC defenses.

We did quite well against Auburn and good enough to split with LSU (though our defense never really did well against them), but Bama pretty much skunked us:

2008 we got 14 points
2009 we got 7
2010 we got 20
2011 we got 14

EFBAB

WilsonHog

And in more curious news, per Pork, there is a lot of noise around Tommy Tuberville right now. Interesting.

hawgball40

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on November 22, 2017, 01:13:00 pm
We did quite well against Auburn and good enough to split with LSU (though our defense never really did well against them), but Bama pretty much skunked us:

2008 we got 14 points
2009 we got 7
2010 we got 20
2011 we got 14

EFBAB

IIRC, our 2010 matchup with bama was before the emergence of knile davis. Also, our offense did enough to win the game(we had the lead by a lot in the 4th quarter), but our defense was grossly out matched and mark ingram ran all over us all game long and it paid off for them late in the game when our defense was gassed. I think if knile davis was established we would have been able to run the ball, and thus keep their defense more honest and potentially produce more points. As an aside, our 2014 defense held bama to 14 points i believe, and it featured many of petrinos defensive recruits. just a noteworthy tidbit

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 22, 2017, 01:26:45 pm
And in more curious news, per Pork, there is a lot of noise around Tommy Tuberville right now. Interesting.

Who is the next name that will be trotted out? Nutt? So it's Scanlon, Varady, Trainor or Tubs...?

Solid...

PRJ

WilsonHog

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 22, 2017, 01:49:34 pm
Who is the next name that will be trotted out? Nutt? So it's Scanlon, Varady, Trainor or Tubs...?

Solid...

PRJ

Looks like perhaps being the UA AD while living in Little Rock was a non-starter.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 22, 2017, 02:04:06 pm
Looks like perhaps being the UA AD while living in Little Rock was a non-starter.

That's why I have heard Varaday from the start.

PRJ

welchog

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 22, 2017, 09:48:43 am
In short, for purposes of this forum:

(1) Malzahn (his job to turn down);
(2) Norvell (a solid #2);
(3) Leach (has heavy hitters in his corner, so he may be gaining).

I still believe that the tale will be told Saturday, to a great extent. To me, the critical piece of leaked information was that Auburn is exploring Bobby Petrino as a back-up plan should Malzahn accept the Arkansas job.

Why would that leak? What would be the purpose? Not to bluff Malzahn, because he already has another job lined up, one that will likely pay him more, if he wants it. I see that piece of information as communicating to Malzahn, "Take your ass on down the road. We already are talking to your replacement," and to the Auburn fans, "No need to worry here. We're already ahead of this."

Exactly why we should do the audacious thing and HIRE BP NOW!!!

Sivad

Sivad

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 22, 2017, 01:26:45 pm
And promising.

jgphillips3

Tommy T and Gus would give us a heavy Auburn flavor.

ur

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 22, 2017, 01:49:34 pm

Solid...

PRJ
No Rochelle? He has a pretty good resume'

ur

Quote from: PigInTheHole on November 22, 2017, 12:49:03 pm
If we get GM and AU gets BP, did we win?
No. Pretty good chance the DC stays at auburn. That combo would be brutal.

fieldturf

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 22, 2017, 10:06:24 am
Oh, there is most definitely a serious contingency trying to get him in Fayetteville. If he isn't our next head football coach, it will be for one reason only: he doesn't want to be. Otherwise, the man only needs to say one word: "Yes."

That's some good news on Thanksgiving Eve.  Thanks Ark Traveler

SchrodingersHog

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on November 22, 2017, 01:13:00 pm

2008 we got 14 points
2009 we got 7
2010 we got 20
2011 we got 14

EFBAB

With the level of talent that Auburn gets (however Auburn does that), BP would give Saban fits.

With Petrino at Auburn and Gus at Arkansas, Saban might just decide to retire, and the Arkansas-Auburn games will be anything but boring.

duckman

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 22, 2017, 05:40:09 pm

They probably know where the bodies are buried too...

hawgball40

Quote from: welchog on November 22, 2017, 05:19:54 pm
we could dream. but some say he is washed up now. his offense hasn't been very great, louisville is mediocre on both sides of the ball, and look at this recruiting: https://louisville.247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/Commits

King Kong

Quote from: PigInTheHole on November 22, 2017, 12:49:03 pm
If we get GM and AU gets BP, did we win?

Well we would win in the fact that we get a coach that help us start winning consistently again.

But yeah Auburn gets the better coach

Boarsnest

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 22, 2017, 05:40:09 pm

That combination will be interesting, I just don't see that working very well.

Hawg Life

Quote from: Boarsnest on November 22, 2017, 07:48:27 pm
That combination will be interesting, I just don't see that working very well.

0.0% chance of either one, but I'd rather call TT AD than ever call Gus coach @ Arkansas.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 22, 2017, 08:08:49 pm
0.0% chance of either one, but I'd rather call TT AD than ever call Gus coach @ Arkansas.

I will simply simply say that you are incorrect in your "0.0%" statement of fact, and leave it at that.

HawgTide

Quote from: jrulz83 on November 22, 2017, 10:16:35 am
Leach would be a disaster.

Gus wouldn’t be accepted by a substantial portion of the fan base.

Norvell is a huge gamble.

Great list here guys.

Who is on your list?

hawgon

Tubs was pretty persuasive with his vision for the program at the LRTDC.  He was obviously auditioning for the job.

Maddhog

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 22, 2017, 09:48:43 am
In short, for purposes of this forum:

(1) Malzahn (his job to turn down);
(2) Norvell (a solid #2);
(3) Leach (has heavy hitters in his corner, so he may be gaining).

I still believe that the tale will be told Saturday, to a great extent. To me, the critical piece of leaked information was that Auburn is exploring Bobby Petrino as a back-up plan should Malzahn accept the Arkansas job.

Why would that leak? What would be the purpose? Not to bluff Malzahn, because he already has another job lined up, one that will likely pay him more, if he wants it. I see that piece of information as communicating to Malzahn, "Take your ass on down the road. We already are talking to your replacement," and to the Auburn fans, "No need to worry here. We're already ahead of this."

Not that it matters but the "leak" about Petrino was not even a "leak".   An Alabama alum got that started after Arkansas began talking about hiring Gus.  AU fans discussed what a great team BP and KS would be.   My AU connection says they would never hire BP, however, because it would divide their base of support.   
"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Maddhog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 22, 2017, 09:04:26 pm
I looking forward to the hire!

I not.  😉

I've determined to not lose sleep over it, though.   Life is still good.
"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

wildhogman

BP's offense didn't get shut down by Elite SEC defenses. I think Leaches offensive mind is on par with BP's... The enough defense is a concern though... Does his DC come with him if he comes, does he have a track record of building a defense from dumpster fires?? Who knows... I just think he gets a little bit of a bad rap.

I think we agree though that a defensive minded coach is what we need and he needs to hire a good OC that can spread out defenses.
??? didn't get shut down by elite defense?  Aubbie and bama 2010. LSWho and Bama in 2011.  Heck even a good Big10 D beat him(tat5).  How is he doing this year with a Heisman QB?   Name the Hog coach besides CBB that never beat  Alabama. Hint, he rides harelys, and occasionally rides then into ditches.

MuskogeeHogFan

BP's offense didn't get shut down by Elite SEC defenses. I think Leaches offensive mind is on par with BP's... The enough defense is a concern though... Does his DC come with him if he comes, does he have a track record of building a defense from dumpster fires?? Who knows... I just think he gets a little bit of a bad rap.

I think we agree though that a defensive minded coach is what we need and he needs to hire a good OC that can spread out defenses.

Check the progression of the Wash State total defense over the last 5 years. They were horrible but improved each of those years, were average last year and this year they are #11 in total defense. Would his DC come with him here? Unknown.
Go Hogs Go!

Scott7703

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 22, 2017, 08:42:27 pm
I will simply simply say that you are incorrect in your "0.0%" statement of fact, and leave it at that.

Just let him rant Wilson. He's been on this Gus denial hate train for days and regardless of what he's told or how many people back the info he continues the typing.

HoggusMaximus

hawgon

I sort of think that Gus does not come in the end.  He isn't ready for retirement obviously, but he can sort of see the end of the line.  Does he have goals?  Does he want to win a national championship?  If so, he is set up to make that run at Auburn over the next year or two if not this year.  I happen to think he could do it at Arkansas too, but he might could do it SOON at Auburn.  That is a lot to turn your back on.

So, I don't think the timing is right.  I know he gets tired of the year to year thing and wants to come home, but if he makes it through another couple of years at Auburn he might achieve one of his major professional goals and what happens after isn't all that important.

The influx of money into coaching has paradoxically removed money as a motivating factor for anything beyond ego.  They are all rich and will remain rich whether they take another job, are fired, or quit.  Even a guy like Norvell is making more than $2 million a year and could afford to stay in Memphis forever if he wanted. 

jrulz83

Quote from: HawgTide on November 22, 2017, 08:43:48 pm
Who is on your list?

Quote from: jrulz83 on November 22, 2017, 11:55:27 am
I would like a defensive minded candidate added to the mix.

Kiffin would be fine with me, and I know he's polarizing. I'm not going to get drawn into defending the messes he's made/gotten blamed for. His mistakes are well documented. I see potential in him but he's admittedly a big gamble. Now is probably not the time they take a gamble.

Venables would be someone to talk to, as would Grantham. I think Dave Aranda would be one to put on a list. I'm not sure a coordinator is the way to go though. There are short comings with everybody, it's about finding the right fit.

Gus is going to alienate a portion of the fanbase. The only argument I've seen against that is "Not if he wins." Easier said than done.

I think Leach would be a disaster, that offense only stuff isn't going to work. Same for Norvell. Everybody says, "He'll hire a good D coordinator." Well I've noticed with coaches that what is a weakness today stays a weakness tomorrow. Maybe he's different, but it's a big gamble and again it's probably not the time to gamble.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

Boarcephus

Quote from: hawgon on November 23, 2017, 07:00:29 am
The influx of money into coaching has paradoxically removed money as a motivating factor for anything beyond ego.  They are all rich and will remain rich whether they take another job, are fired, or quit.  Even a guy like Norvell is making more than $2 million a year and could afford to stay in Memphis forever if he wanted. 

All true but these guys are driven and Memphis is a stepping stone and not the destination while Arkansas could easily be a final destination for coach.  I cannot think of a single coach who willingly left Arkansas for a "better" job.  Hatfield, Sutton and Nutt all left but they were one step ahead of the posse. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Pork Twain

Quote from: jrulz83 on November 22, 2017, 10:16:35 am
Leach would be a disaster.

Gus wouldn’t be accepted by a substantial portion of the fan base.

Norvell is a huge gamble.

Great list here guys.
True

Only on Hogville, by people that would complain no matter what

Very much so because his teams do not know how to spell defense.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

online-with-swine

Quote from: Maddhog on November 22, 2017, 09:03:27 pm
Not that it matters but the "leak" about Petrino was not even a "leak".   An Alabama alum got that started after Arkansas began talking about hiring Gus.  AU fans discussed what a great team BP and KS would be.   My AU connection says they would never hire BP, however, because it would divide their base of support.   

Interesting that they worry about dividing their fan base yet the GOBN here dgaf with Gus.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: jrulz83 on November 22, 2017, 11:55:27 am
I would like a defensive minded candidate added to the mix.

Kiffin would be fine with me, and I know he's polarizing. I'm not going to get drawn into defending the messes he's made/gotten blamed for. His mistakes are well documented. I see potential in him but he's admittedly a big gamble. Now is probably not the time they take a gamble.

Venables would be someone to talk to, as would Grantham. I think Dave Aranda would be one to put on a list. I'm not sure a coordinator is the way to go though. There are short comings with everybody, it's about finding the right fit.

Gus is going to alienate a portion of the fanbase. The only argument I've seen against that is "Not if he wins." Easier said than done.

I think Leach would be a disaster, that offense only stuff isn't going to work. Same for Norvell. Everybody says, "He'll hire a good D coordinator." Well I've noticed with coaches that what is a weakness today stays a weakness tomorrow. Maybe he's different, but it's a big gamble and again it's probably not the time to gamble.

So you're a "There's no good move" type of guy... What do you think about keeping CBB..? 
Guessing that's a no. So I'm just gonna assert here that you are a "Glass half empty" personality caught in a perfect storm of speculation that allows you to peruse until you find an idea you want to piss on. Am I right..?
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

hoghiker

I hope Gus whips Bama. Good for him. Good for Hogs.

MC_Hog

Quote from: Scott7703 on November 23, 2017, 06:35:09 am

Just let him rant Wilson. He's been on this Gus denial hate train for days and regardless of what he's told or how many people back the info he continues the typing.

Gus isn't coming

Styflin

November 23, 2017, 12:33:44 pm #88 Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 01:23:26 pm by Styflin
Quote from: King Kong on November 22, 2017, 07:17:48 pm
Well we would win in the fact that we get a coach that help us start winning consistently again.

But yeah Auburn gets the better coach

Gus is in much better position than Bobby right now. After plenty of time for both coaches at their schools, it's not even close really.

jimhog

3kgthog

Quote from: welchog on November 22, 2017, 05:19:54 pm

I hate to tell you this, but Bum Phillips is no longer with us.

hawgbawb

To me Malzhan feels like a lateral move at best, and the motivation is more about going home to a more forgiving, low pressure gig. Definitely lower expectations. Norvell, on the other hand, feels like a step up, and his motivation to prove himself might work to our advantage. He's probably hungrier.
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

alohawg

Wth, at this point I'd rather they try and bring Bobby back before he goes to Auburn and annually spanks Gus at Arkansas.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Hawg Life

Quote from: alohawg on November 23, 2017, 01:53:36 pm
Wth, at this point I'd rather they try and bring Bobby back before he goes to Auburn and annually spanks Gus at Arkansas.

Neither of those coaches will be @ those places. CBP probably goes to TN and Gus stays @ Auburn.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 23, 2017, 02:25:25 pm
Neither of those coaches will be @ those places. CBP probably goes to TN and Gus stays @ Auburn.

How certain are you that Gus stays at Auburn? Certain as in, you've spoken with him personally and he's told you that?

jrulz83

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on November 23, 2017, 08:53:23 am
So you're a "There's no good move" type of guy... What do you think about keeping CBB..? 
Guessing that's a no. So I'm just gonna assert here that you are a "Glass half empty" personality caught in a perfect storm of speculation that allows you to peruse until you find an idea you want to piss on. Am I right..?

Did I or did I not say Kiffin would be fine with me?
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

Hawg Life

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 23, 2017, 02:41:23 pm
How certain are you that Gus stays at Auburn? Certain as in, you've spoken with him personally and he's told you that?

Yes. Also, he got verbals from 2 four stars today. We are being played by Sexton. Do you really believe we offered him $6.5 million?

WilsonHog

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 23, 2017, 03:02:14 pm
Yes. Also, he got verbals from 2 four stars today. We are being played by Sexton. Do you really believe we offered him $6.5 million?

I was just wondering, because you've made probably 100 posts all but guaranteeing that he will not be our next coach. So, if you are wrong what will your next move be? To never post again? To post under another account?

DZ

Quote from: jimhog on November 23, 2017, 12:38:18 pm
We do NOT need or want Leach.
Why? I haven't heard any logical reason from anyone that has followed him recently and not just going off of what they saw on youtube.