Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CF is a man among boys.........

Started by claycohog, February 06, 2010, 05:20:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

claycohog

As Long as JP can keep him on the floor we will have a legit shot to win every game on the remaining schedule.  Give kudos to Clarke, also.  Fortson is benefiting from the constant attention that Clarke gets.  Pel recruited Fortson and deserves credit for that just as he deserved the bashing when CF was not on the court.  Good job team as well as the head of the team.

Those on here who said Fortson wouldn't make a big difference when he came back couldn't have been more wrong.

claycohog

Quote from: Karma on February 06, 2010, 05:30:28 pm
Those on here who said Fortson wouldn't make a big difference when he came back couldn't have been more wrong.
True.  Everyone's main concern was if he would ever come back.  Now that he has come back the difference is night and day.  Powell being on the floor helps also.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

fineswine

Claycohog-my big concern would be is there anything out there regarding Fortson's status for next year?  I believe it was alluded to earlier that professional ball overseas could occur. If he is not around, well, he's the one player we can't replace.

hawgsav1

While he is a phenomenal talent and a great player, I'm a bit worried that we rely on him too much.  We've had to have Fortson have phenomenal games during the entire win streak for us to be successful.  I'd like to see all of our guards be successful due to the defense having to focus on Clarke or Fortson. 

I wonder if since the defenses are spending a lot of time on Clarke (e.g. sticking on his outside shoulder and not letting him get open) is allowing Fortson to penetrate at will.  If they start to focus on Fortson, maybe Clarke will start to get hot and fire up?
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

claycohog

Quote from: fineswine on February 06, 2010, 05:47:08 pm
Claycohog-my big concern would be is there anything out there regarding Fortson's status for next year?  I believe it was alluded to earlier that professional ball overseas could occur. If he is not around, well, he's the one player we can't replace.
He was talking about playing in Europe next year as late as last week.  Sounds as if the coaching staff need to pull a rabbit out of the hat (ala Michael Washington).  We'll see, that's a long ways away.

M L (bassplayer)

Kudos to Powell also. That kid is going to be really something. Makes you wonder where we would be if Pel hadn't landed him.

fineswine

Quote from: claycohog on February 06, 2010, 05:57:56 pm
He was talking about playing in Europe next year as late as last week.  Sounds as if the coaching staff need to pull a rabbit out of the hat (ala Michael Washington).  We'll see, that's a long ways away.
Thanks for the information. It will probably be a near impossible sell for Pel (and his worst nightmare I fear).

code red

Fortsen is best when the chips are down.  He took the game over after Washington went down.  Powell is playin his big o rear off too.  I filling somthing in my gut about this team.  Regaurdless if we go to the dance or not....I actually see improvement.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: fineswine on February 06, 2010, 06:29:56 pm
Thanks for the information. It will probably be a near impossible sell for Pel (and his worst nightmare I fear).

I don't see why this is a tough sell. If CF came back next year and stayed out of trouble he would get a good look by the NBA.

Pickled Pig

February 06, 2010, 07:08:07 pm #11 Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 07:10:43 pm by Pickled Pig
If relying on him too much results in wins I'm good with it.

Quote from: hawgsav1 on February 06, 2010, 05:52:42 pm
he is a phenomenal talent and a great player, I'm a bit worried that we rely on him too much.

Beaverfever

Fortson is a great college point guard but I doubt he'll ever get an NBA contract.  He'd get the majority of his shots tossed into the tenth row. 

fineswine

February 06, 2010, 07:27:25 pm #13 Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 07:41:49 pm by fineswine
Quote from: CallMeHog on February 06, 2010, 07:05:45 pm
I don't see why this is a tough sell. If CF came back next year and stayed out of trouble he would get a good look by the NBA.
I understand your position, but given his troubled history here, pro ball pays better than the books so to speak.  Besides, the NBA will find you if you're worthy.

Beaverfever

I just don't see the NBA bending over backwards to get a 5-10 score first point guard with a below average shot. 

Rocky Mountain Living

I am not saying he is Chris Paul.  Chris Paul is worth the price of admission.  Chris doesn't have the best shot and is only two inches taller. 

I am just saying Courtney Fortson is worth the price of admission too

sirhog

Fortson is the man. We are so much better with him on court it is not even close. It also looks like he has worked on his shot a lot. He wants the ball in his hand in crunch time and has the confidence to deliver.

The Boar War

There are just a few players who seem to will their shots in.  Fortson seems to be one of those players.

fred ziffel

"Sometimes when you win, you really lose, and sometimes when you lose, you really win, and sometimes when you win or lose, you actually tie, and sometimes when you tie, you actually win or lose. Winning or losing is all one organic mechanism, from which one extracts what one needs."

hawgsav1

Quote from: Pickled Pig on February 06, 2010, 07:08:07 pm
If relying on him too much results in wins I'm good with it.

he is a phenomenal talent and a great player, I'm a bit worried that we rely on him too much.

So what happens when the opposing defense has a player who's good enough to defend CF and make him ineffective?  It's never good to be excessively reliant on one player.

photoghog

Quote from: claycohog on February 06, 2010, 05:20:02 pm
As Long as JP can keep him on the floor we will have a legit shot to win every game on the remaining schedule.  Give kudos to Clarke, also.  Fortson is benefiting from the constant attention that Clarke gets.  Pel recruited Fortson and deserves credit for that just as he deserved the bashing when CF was not on the court.  Good job team as well as the head of the team.

CF is a great player and I'm glad we have him, however, his defense is atrocious and lazy at times.  I was at the game yesterday and can't tell you the number of times that he was out of position allowing his man to shoot (and make) uncontested 3's.  I'll probably get slaughtered on here for not being on his jock, but a little defense would go a long way.

k.c.hawg

While he is a phenomenal talent and a great player, I'm a bit worried that we rely on him too much.  We've had to have Fortson have phenomenal games during the entire win streak for us to be successful.  I'd like to see all of our guards be successful due to the defense having to focus on Clarke or Fortson. 

I wonder if since the defenses are spending a lot of time on Clarke (e.g. sticking on his outside shoulder and not letting him get open) is allowing Fortson to penetrate at will.  If they start to focus on Fortson, maybe Clarke will start to get hot and fire up?

From yesterdays boxscore:

Rotnei Clark  12 pts 1 reb 1 a 1 st
Stef Welsh   11 pts 2 reb 2 a 2 st
Marc Britt      6 pts 5 reb 2 a 1 st
J Nobles        0 pts 0 reb 2 a 2 st
C Fortson    24 pts 10 reb 7a

Is this what you are refering to? In an 82 pt game for your guards to go fro 53 pts, 14 assists, 18 boards and 6 steals.... that is guard domination.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

rzrbackrob

Fortson has a lot to work on.
He needs to be more under control, to improve his shot, passing more consistently, and stay out of trouble.
Two years of hard work could make a world of difference between a career overseas and a potential NBA contract.

His heart and determination during a game is not in question.

Good is the enemy of great

jgphillips3

If Fortson leaves, one of those four star guards that have signed better come in and be electric.

Breems

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 07, 2010, 08:25:27 pm
If Fortson leaves, one of those four star guards that have signed better come in and be electric.

I REALLY hope Fortson doesn't leave. 
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

hawgsav1

Quote from: k.c.hawg on February 07, 2010, 12:09:44 pm
From yesterdays boxscore:

Rotnei Clark  12 pts 1 reb 1 a 1 st
Stef Welsh   11 pts 2 reb 2 a 2 st
Marc Britt      6 pts 5 reb 2 a 1 st
J Nobles        0 pts 0 reb 2 a 2 st
C Fortson    24 pts 10 reb 7a

Is this what you are refering to? In an 82 pt game for your guards to go fro 53 pts, 14 assists, 18 boards and 6 steals.... that is guard domination.

What happens to this if CF is rendered ineffective, or if one of the guards is rendered ineffective?

ruarealhogfan

Quote from: Breems on February 07, 2010, 09:46:15 pm
I REALLY hope Fortson doesn't leave.

Fortson back would be huge next year...

k.c.hawg

Quote from: hawgsav1 on February 08, 2010, 12:40:58 am
What happens to this if CF is rendered ineffective, or if one of the guards is rendered ineffective?

My point is...the longer that CF is effective.....the more you will see boxscores like this. We got 29 pts of production from the other guards....I think this boxscore answers your question in the sense that even though CF had a big game we still got production from others. RC had some of the best looks he's had in weeks and several didn't fall. When teams work to take CF away it is going to create opportunities for others....in the Ole Miss game CF was held to 10 pts....had 6 assists...Wash had 22. Powell 19 and RC 18. Saturday we got 20 shots from our other guards...that is plenty...they made 5 3's and missed some good looks....CF had 7 assists. I think when a team does take him away he will distribute more and it is going to be up to others to knock down shots.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Iwastherein1969

simply put, Fortson IS our season....we are 0-8 in the SEC without his presence on the floor, guaranteed
The long Grey line will never fail our country.