Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coach gave up but team played on!

Started by mtnmusic, February 05, 2010, 12:08:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mtnmusic

When asked what he told the team at halftime of the Georgia game Pel stated that he told them they were probably tired from the long road trip and to write this game off.. just try to keep it close.. If that was a motivational talk (and I hope it was.. ) it worked pretty well. Still, this was 2 out of the last 3 wins where the players took the game over in the 2nd half and refused to lose.

Foshodo

what about his personality have you ever seen that makes you even remotely believe this is what he said to them at halftime? i thought he was simply trying to defer credit to the kids but worded it poorly...

psychejelly

chiefsfan

Quote from: Foshodo on February 05, 2010, 12:19:33 am
what about his personality have you ever seen that makes you even remotely believe this is what he said to them at halftime? i thought he was simply trying to defer credit to the kids but worded it poorly...

he was trying to give some credit and be a bit sarcastic
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Porkem

I don't give Pelphrey credit for anything.  These kids took it upon themselves to win the game.  They won in spite of him.  Even Cortney Fortson would tell you that.  You are spot on!
"Due to current economic conditions, Porkem has decided to file for moral bankruptcy."

Smithian

Newhopehog

Quote from: Porkem Yung on February 05, 2010, 12:28:13 am
I don't give Pelphrey credit for anything.  These kids took it upon themselves to win the game.  They won in spite of him.  Even Cortney Fortson would tell you that.  You are spot on!
I call BS...you don't have a clue what he said to them at any time....did you even watch the game...kinda funny when they were losing it was all Coaches fault and now that they are winning he has nothing to do with it.....you people that preach that kind of $hit are full of it.....Go HOGS and Coach PEl.....

thirtythree

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d76FX17SW3U

Porkem, I hope you really don't believe that.

To the OP, I call BS. Coaches use different ways of motiviation. If you actually think that CJP gave up on these guys you really need to have a reality check. The way it seems to mei s his way of motivating them WORKED!

dagnamit

Quote from: thirtythree on February 05, 2010, 06:47:47 am

To the OP, I call BS. Coaches use different ways of motiviation. If you actually think that CJP gave up on these guys you really need to have a reality check. The way it seems to mei s his way of motivating them WORKED!
LOL...I made an ignore list. Funny thing is 33 is the biggest suck up on Hogville. Why isn't Lanny on the ignore list? HMMMMMMM.....kissing his tail.

anywho, I think a good coach takes the heat when his team looses and allows the team to take the credit when they win.

Pel, seems to be doing this.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: thirtythree on February 05, 2010, 06:47:47 am

I agree with you about the game against UGA, I'm sure Pelphrey let them have it or used some ploy to get the guys going, however, not so in the Miss St game, I saw a coach who was ready to lay down along with everyone else on the team except Fortson......if all this pans out and the Miss St game WAS the turning point for the UA basketball program, John Pelphrey can thank Courtney Fortson for saving his coaching career
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

thirtythree

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on February 05, 2010, 07:05:41 am
I agree with you about the game against UGA, I'm sure Pelphrey let them have it or used some ploy to get the guys going, however, not so in the Miss St game, I saw a coach who was ready to lay down along with everyone else on the team except Fortson......if all this pans out and the Miss St game WAS the turning point for the UA basketball program, John Pelphrey can thank Courtney Fortson for saving his coaching career

The Miss St game I think he was just kind of dejected. No matter what he did or said things just wouldn't go right. I guess everyone can come up with their own idea of why on that. Whatever he said to them at halftime though appeared to work. I do agree that CF was probably the only player that wanted it. I saw a different demeanor in CJP in the 2nd half though vs the 1st half.

razobak

Would you rather him coming out and saying "I called that half, brutha!"
Go Hogs, Beat Refs!

RedSatinHog

Quote from: Foshodo on February 05, 2010, 12:19:33 am

Mainly because, during post-game interviews, one of the assistant coaches and one of the players admitted that it's what Pel said to them at halftime.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

hawgsmellgud

Quote from: mtnmusic on February 05, 2010, 12:08:19 am
When asked what he told the team at halftime of the Georgia game Pel stated that he told them they were probably tired from the long road trip and to write this game off.. just try to keep it close.. If that was a motivational talk (and I hope it was.. ) it worked pretty well. Still, this was 2 out of the last 3 wins where the players took the game over in the 2nd half and refused to lose.

Come on guys. Listen I don't think Pel is a good X's and O's guy, I question if he should be our coach. But this is a new low, you can't really believe this. I know that since we have won a couple in a row it is hard to say we need to fire him, but this is just a dumb thread.
"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

Kevin

ever heard of reverse psychology

are we now going to nitpik everything pel does, even in wins.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

The Boar War

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on February 05, 2010, 07:25:33 am
Mainly because, during post-game interviews, one of the assistant coaches and one of the players admitted that it's what Pel said to them at halftime.

Thats true. 

I'm sure that it was said with more of a sarcastic tone than one of resignation.  I've heard coaches use the same strategy before.  Whatever was said it worked.

Rush Hog

I tend to think that the team "plays" their style in the first half and I see more coaching out of CJP in the second half.
Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?

Son, if you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers." - Homer Simpson

The Pig

One of the marks of a shallow and shortsighted person......the ability to cast blame whenever things don't go well, but to not give credit when they do.

Are you really that shallow or are you so blinded by your dislike for Pelphrey that you can't give him even a small bit of credit when his team responds to adversity?

LRCentralTiger

Guys lets wait until this season is over to bash Pel.  Right now I am just along for the ride.  I am not for or against Pel.  If he crashes and burns from now to the end of the season, yes I will get off the wagon.  If he has turned the corner as the great Wally Hall suggest, I will support him another year.  Right now Pel is a neutral coach to me until it swings one way or the other.

Beaverfever

I agree tiger.  I'm just along for the ride at this point.  The jury is still out on pel.  The way this season ends up will tell us what we need to know.

Porkem

Quote from: The Pig on February 05, 2010, 08:42:12 am
One of the marks of a shallow and shortsighted person......the ability to cast blame whenever things don't go well, but to not give credit when they do.

Are you really that shallow or are you so blinded by your dislike for Pelphrey that you can't give him even a small bit of credit when his team responds to adversity?

Fortson has taken charge of this team Pig.  Fortson and Clarke have both been quoted as saying this year's team is a lot tougher mentally and not making the little mistakes they did last year. 

You've been on record repeatedly in support of Pelphrey.  I've been on record repeatedly against Pelphrey.  If you and the rest of the apologists don't like it....too bad.  I'm not changing my opinion based on three wins.  You said you played baseball in college right? 

If you want to gripe because posters aren't fond of your boy Pelprey...then do us all a favor and take your act to the baseball forum.  Jump Ball is a forum for real men who aren't afraid to tell it like it is.  We don't mince words and talk softly and make excuses for a lousy coach.  Wake up and smell the coffee Pig!
"Due to current economic conditions, Porkem has decided to file for moral bankruptcy."

The Pig

Quote from: Porkem Yung on February 05, 2010, 09:37:56 am
Fortson has taken charge of this team Pig.  Fortson and Clarke have both been quoted as saying this year's team is a lot tougher mentally and not making the little mistakes they did last year. 

You've been on record repeatedly in support of Pelphrey.  I've been on record repeatedly against Pelphrey.  If you and the rest of the apologists don't like it....too bad.  I'm not changing my opinion based on three wins.  You said you played baseball in college right? 

If you want to gripe because posters aren't fond of your boy Pelprey...then do us all a favor and take your act to the baseball forum.  Jump Ball is a forum for real men who aren't afraid to tell it like it is.  We don't mince words and talk softly and make excuses for a lousy coach.  Wake up and smell the coffee Pig!

I find you humorous, I don't necessarily support Pelphrey, nor am I against him. I don't think we have enough of a body of work yet to judge him, obviously you do.

Fortunately, I've had the privilege of working with (and for) folks who are not as shortsighted as you seem to be and who are willing to put in the work and endure the heartache that comes with tearing something down and rebuilding it.

If that bothers you, or your shortsightedness being recognized strikes a nerve, then maybe I'm not the one who needs to switch forums.

Other than that, I love the smell of coffee and I'll continue to support the Razorback basketball program, and their coach until he proves he can't win on this level.

In my mind, that point has not arrived yet, in yours, it must have.

hogfaninbr

lol at you. You are pathetic. You aren't "telling it like
it is".  You are just being stubborn and refusing to recognize
on court results for what they are in favor of you're now dumb looking hatred of pelphrey. You say you support this team yet when they win you look to divide by trying to give partial credit and continuing with your agenda to get YOUR coach of choice in the job. If pel does crash and fail and mike Anderson doesn't leave mizzou, will u campaign against every coach the UA ever hires? 

DeltaBoy

Bottom Line Hawgs won!   Go Hawgs and Beat MSU Sat nite.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

razorpimp

That is ridiculous...your hatred of Pelphrey is obviously clouding your judgement.  In the Georgia game I saw a team play with heart in the second half....Fortson is not calling the defensive sets.  They were playing full court up and down basketball......I think that is the coach.

Clear your head

Phatasshog

you just hate him that much huh?  These kids are playing for him and playing hard and all you can do is talk sh#$ about Pelphrey.  You are a lost soul, my friend

Breems

Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

HF#1

They won.  But continue fighting among yourselves about the coach. I don't see the point.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

want2be

With 3 games in a week he needs to say the same thing tommorow, BEFORE the games start at 12:30 against Auburn.

Scott7703

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH....Typical ignorant post....the only time Pelphrey is held accountable is when the Hogs lose.

Takes shots at the people who try to be positive and are actually happy when we play better basketball, win games, and even win road games.

If the coach is responsible when we lose, give the man a little credit when we win. I agree that this team is ALOT better with Courtney Fortson in the lineup.

The funny part about that is, all of the so called "apologists" pointed this exact thing out to you and others when we were struggling so badly.

I know it will be tough for you, but just attempt to admit that this team is better and that coach Pelphrey deserves some of the credit for it.

Breems

Quote from: Scott7703 on February 05, 2010, 12:07:24 pm
If the coach is responsible when we lose, give the man a little credit when we win.

That's how most posters are here.  When we lose, wah wah wah fire Pel!  We suck!!  Yet, when we get 3 consecutive wins, including 2 consecutive tough road wins, Pelphrey's mouth was sealed the whole game and the players just got lucky.  Idiots.

Some on here actually give credit when it's due.  Wilson and Porkatarian, I believe, do just that.  Neither are too fond of coach Pelphrey I don't think, but admit that he is a part of our team's wins.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Smokehouse

Quote from: Kevin on February 05, 2010, 08:08:15 am

now? That's how it's been for a while.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

rhinohog84

Quote from: Kevin on February 05, 2010, 08:08:15 am

Some on this board are going to; they have it in their mind that Pel is not the right guy for the job and no matter what he does, it is wrong.   

Dwight_K_Shrute

I will bash Pel for his hair, his wardrobe and his coaching if I feel it is necessary.  But anyone that pulls up $hit like this in the middle of a 3 game win streak (2 on the road) is a total doosh loser non-hog fan.

If you want to criticize Pel and still think he is not right for the job, fine.  But when you try to pull stuff out of your behind because you no longer can criticize results on the court, why not just shut your pie hole instead.  Or wait until they start losing since you are almost certain that they will.

I had written Pel and the team off, but now I'm damn glad they are winning and more importantly showing some effort and that they care.  This is what seemed to be lacking in previous games.

If Pel has to say stuff like what was quoted in the OP, fine, I really don't care as long as it is working.  Players may win one game in spite of a coach when say CF had the great MSU game, but not 3 with 2 on the road.

When the team starts winning and doing positives you really see who the jack a$$es are.  They are the one's that feel compelled to keep bashing Pel for whatever stupid reason.  I may bash him again when and if it is warranted, but until them I'm going to support the coach and the team.  I have a feeling they are going to finish strong.  May not make the NCAA, may just make the NIT, but if they do it will still be a fun ride especially if we get to host a game or two.  So why not just take a break and to quote our much reviled coach STFU!!!
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

pigture perfect

I don't give Phil Jackson any credit either. If it wasn't for MJ and Scotty, Shaq and Kobe, he wouldn't be anything. He didn't develope any of those guys. Yet he won and is given credit. Point is as long as we keep winning he ain't going anywhere. Like him or not. If the wheels fall off, that's a different story.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

TRUHOG718

Quote from: The Boar War on February 05, 2010, 08:14:05 am
Thats true. 

I'm sure that it was said with more of a sarcastic tone than one of resignation.  I've heard coaches use the same strategy before.  Whatever was said it worked.

^^^^    Boar is correct. Pel was being sarcastic but trying to strike a nerve. Instead of chewing them out after a rough week he decided to play the sympathy card.  Word is everyone started looking around like no coach your wrong we can come back were not tired and we CAN win.  They came out in the second half to prove pel wrong.  I dont care how pel does it as long as its not Big 10 ball. im happy with wins and not the the means to the end.  Now im going back to sleep. :)   TRUHOG OUT
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

Hogsfan1981

Oh brother...

Your whole personality is summed up in your avatar. I would refrain from using "real men" statements in your posts. Also playing to the guys on the forums and taking shots at someone with comments like "your guy Pel" and "apologists" only hurt your argument if it can be called that. It is more like being stubborn just for the sake of being different.

When a team wins it is a combination of the entire team. Players and coaches. Whether you hate Pel or not does not really matter at this point as you will dislike him even if the team wins out from here on.

As for this game though. They went in at the 2nd half and came out with a full court pressure. That is a coaching call and it changed the entire game. So the coaches did have something to do with the win.

You have no credibility because you are not willing to give credit where credit is do even when it is obvious. You can't win every battle. Even if Pel is not the long term solution he does do things right sometimes. Get over yourself.

Wild Bill Hog

I certainly hope the kids "took it on themselves to win" because that's the way it's supposed to be.  They're the ones playing.  They will determine what happens on the floor, not the coach.

HoustonwehaveaProblem

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 05, 2010, 11:53:50 am
Bottom Line Hawgs won!   Go Hawgs and Beat MSU Sat nite.

?

We play Auburn Saturday at 12:30

Grag T

Dude, how the phuck do you think ANY team would ever win a game if the players didn't take it upon themselves to get it done?

As far as not giving Pelphrey credit for anything, that's not being realistic; it's being stubborn.  I was laughing at how bad we were at the beginning of the season and figured Pelphrey could do no right... but I see now he has been doing better and I have no problem admitting that.  Heck I want he and the team to improve as much as possible so we don't see anymore horrendous ass whoopings.   
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live;  it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.  Unselfishness is letting other people's lives alone, not interfering with them.  Selfishness always aims at creating around it an absolute uniformity of type."  - Oscar Wilde

lookinupthehill

So, in summation, FCJ is now posting on Porkem Yung's account.  Either that or they share a brain, which is probably more likely now that I think about it...

Porkem

I can't wait until Mike Anderson gets in here and rights this ship.  Mediocrity may be okay with a lot of you so-called fans in here....but I expect more from my alma mater.

I'm going to serve a big ole mess of crow up to Pig, Newhopehog, Phatasshog, Scott7703, Grag T, lookingupthehill, Hogsfan1981,hogfaninbr, razorpimp, and pigture perfect.

Get your forks ready and your bibs on.  I'm going to serve it up to you and forrest city joe's going to laugh his a$$ off watching y'all chew on it.  Get ready boys.  That day is coming.

HogFansReunited

Wow, we won three games.  Grats to the player for playing their butts off.  Pel still needs to be replaced soon.  Hell, last year I remember beating OK and TX within a week of each other.  What happened after that though?  Pel isn't that great of a coach, I really don't even think he is good.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

Grag T

February 05, 2010, 02:25:58 pm #45 Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 02:31:36 pm by Grag T
Quote from: Porkem Yung on February 05, 2010, 02:00:44 pm
I can't wait until Mike Anderson gets in here and rights this ship.  Mediocrity may be okay with a lot of you so-called fans in here....but I expect more from my alma mater.

I'm going to serve a big ole mess of crow up to Pig, Newhopehog, Phatasshog, Scott7703, Grag T, lookingupthehill, Hogsfan1981,hogfaninbr, razorpimp, and pigture perfect.

Get your forks ready and your bibs on.  I'm going to serve it up to you and forrest city joe's going to laugh his a$$ off watching y'all chew on it.  Get ready boys.  That day is coming.

There's no crow for me to eat because I really don't give that much of a crap.  I'm just saying we're not as junky as we were and Pel really isn't Satan incarnate.

I have no dog in this fight and never have.  Just want us to continue to improve.
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live;  it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.  Unselfishness is letting other people's lives alone, not interfering with them.  Selfishness always aims at creating around it an absolute uniformity of type."  - Oscar Wilde

rok-dog

Mike Anderson is a second tier coach, he would get run off The Hill.
Quote from: TuckFexas on May 14, 2010, 01:29:05 pm
Listen to rok, this is the most sound advice ever typed on a message board in the history of the internets.
Quote from: BallHog1 on December 03, 2010, 07:50:23 am
Rok, you are obviously the most intelligent poster in the the tavern.

Like the coach or not, anyone who believes he said anything like that with a serious tone is a stone cold idiot.  It is difficult for me to take any post folks make serious when you realize some of the information they fall for hook, line and sinker.  Maybe we need to pass an IQ test for the right to post on here.

lookinupthehill

"So called fan".  Buddy, I've supported this team more in any given day than you probably have over the last 12 months combined.  It's easy to be a fan when the team is winning.  Why don't you try going back and reviewing the manual?

And, guess what.  WE DON'T HAVE A COACHING VACANCY YET!  So it's going to be a little hard for Mikey to get his greasy paws in here.  I hope Pel can keep this improvement going and shut up all you people who have it out for him.  But you know what else?  If MA (or anyone else) is here next year, I'll sure as hell support them too, because that what REAL fans do. 

rok-dog

Mike Anderson is THE best coach in Div 1,  PERIOD.
Quote from: TuckFexas on May 14, 2010, 01:29:05 pm
Listen to rok, this is the most sound advice ever typed on a message board in the history of the internets.
Quote from: BallHog1 on December 03, 2010, 07:50:23 am
Rok, you are obviously the most intelligent poster in the the tavern.