Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Great Article in Ark Trav on lack of UA student support....

Started by Mardi Hog Gras, February 04, 2010, 11:39:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardi Hog Gras

http://www.uatrav.com/2010/02/03/ua-student-basketball-%E2%80%98fans%E2%80%99-drop-ball/comment-page-1/#comment-1968

LibraryHog

It would help they sent the students an email letting us know that we could get single-game tickets.

I actually took a poll of 10 students (they were all my friends) and no one know you could get a single game ticket.

That would help.
Thanks U of A,
NOT

LibraryHog

February 04, 2010, 12:11:08 pm #2 Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 12:12:55 pm by LibraryHog
It would help they sent the students an email letting us know that we could get single-game tickets.

I actually took a poll of 10 students (they were all my friends) and no one know you could get a single game ticket.

That would help.
Thanks U of A,
NOT

While I'm pissed, it would help if they shoveled the snow off of all the sidewalks if they're going to make us go to school.
I'm sick of it.
I'd rather send Jeff Long an email about the icy sidewalks than firing our coach.
Most of you feel pretty good about that email you wrote about 2 weeks ago, I'm sure.

Sorry about the tangent, but I can't stand it.

Beaverfever

You can't expect the students to be hardcore fans for a program in the toilet.  Win, and students will fight over tickets.  It's really pretty simple.

LibraryHog

This article mentions that 10,000 came out 4 years ago during a snowstorm when we beat Florida, but fails to mention that almost 15,000 showed up when we beat Alabama during the infamous ice storm last year.

The guy writing the article doesn't know much about sports and it shows.

razorhead94

Its pretty simple...the price is too high for student tickets.  Like the article said some schools even let students in for free (LSU, Tennessee, etc.)  I know UA doesn't have an athletic fee for tuition but it might start thinking about getting one.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

HawgLife

Quote from: LibraryHog on February 04, 2010, 12:11:08 pm

That would help.
Thanks U of A,
NOT

While I'm pissed, it would help if they shoveled the snow off of all the sidewalks if they're going to make us go to school.
I'm sick of it.
I'd rather send Jeff Long an email about the icy sidewalks than firing our coach.
Most of you feel pretty good about that email you wrote about 2 weeks ago, I'm sure.

Sorry about the tangent, but I can't stand it.

Amen on both accounts.

But when I finally found out that they sold single game tickets at the door, I tried to go buy one and they were sold out. And that was an hour before tip. Then they told me I could wait til 30 minutes into the game and if there were open seats they would sell me a ticket. I was told that they only sell 250 single tickets at the door. That's pathetic. But it does kinda disprove a lack of student support if we're actually turning students away.

And don't even get me started on those sidewalks. If I have to slide down a staircase covered with three inches of ice and snow again, I'm gonna have to send an email to somebody.

Smithian

Quote from: LibraryHog on February 04, 2010, 12:01:28 pm

That would help.
Thanks U of A,
NOT
Exactly. I bought my season pack so it doesn't affect me, but almost none of my friends know you can get single game tickets.

Even as a student who manages to be there a few hours early every game and get front row in BBall, I won't even go into all the things that make BBall games hard to support for students. Bad parking, bad spot, angry ushers(Rudell is cool, others are bleh), bad team, negative stigma on campus towards BBall team... Lots of things.

hawgsmellgud

Quote from: Smithian on February 04, 2010, 02:49:59 pm
Exactly. I bought my season pack so it doesn't affect me, but almost none of my friends know you can get single game tickets.

Even as a student who manages to be there a few hours early every game and get front row in BBall, I won't even go into all the things that make BBall games hard to support for students. Bad parking, bad spot, angry ushers(Rudell is cool, others are bleh), bad team, negative stigma on campus towards BBall team... Lots of things.

are you the kid that I have seen at all the home games jumping around this season?
"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

The Pig

Damn guys........Life seems really tough for ya'll, the real world should be a breeze after all you're going through now.

BigHog396

Quote from: Beaverfever on February 04, 2010, 12:18:39 pm
You can't expect the students to be hardcore fans for a program in the toilet.  Win, and students will fight over tickets.  It's really pretty simple.
Student support fell off well before the program went in the toilet.

LRMedHawg

I was at that Florida game.  It was freaking awesome.  The writer needs to keep in mind that the game was against a highly ranked team and was the make-or-break game for us to get in the NCAA.  My buddy and I knew that we had to win that game for us to make a push and we did.  There was not much to look forward to when we played Miss State (before the game, that game is looking more and more important each game we play and win now). 

Quote from: The Pig on February 04, 2010, 05:01:30 pm
Damn guys........Life seems really tough for ya'll, the real world should be a breeze after all you're going through now.

Did you go to college there?

The Pig

Quote from: LRMedHawg on February 04, 2010, 05:21:28 pm
I was at that Florida game.  It was freaking awesome.  The writer needs to keep in mind that the game was against a highly ranked team and was the make-or-break game for us to get in the NCAA.  My buddy and I knew that we had to win that game for us to make a push and we did.  There was not much to look forward to when we played Miss State (before the game, that game is looking more and more important each game we play and win now). 

Did you go to college there?

No, but I did manage to  play baseball in college and graduate, so I'm somewhat familiar with time constraints and the hardships of college life.

Do you have a point to your question?

LRMedHawg

Quote from: The Pig on February 04, 2010, 05:28:26 pm
No, but I did manage to  play baseball in college and graduate, so I'm somewhat familiar with time constraints and the hardships of college life.

Do you have a point to your question?

Ya I did, wanted to see if you paid for college on your own dime.  I did not have the money my final year to be able to spend a $100 dollars on season tickets to bball because I only had less than $1000 dollars per semester to spend.  That would be over 10 percent of my income.  You try living on less than 1000 dollars for 5 months and bitch about college kids not living in the real world.  I am not saying I didn't love college, because I did, but I scrapped by for weeks at a time on ramen.

Beaverfever

Quote from: BigHog396 on February 04, 2010, 05:06:59 pm
Student support fell off well before the program went in the toilet.
when did it start falling off?  The program has been basically irrelevant since Joe Johnson left campus.

Smokehouse

the administration does an awful job getting the word out on things like this. I was going anyway because I'm in the band, but the only way I heard students were getting in free was word of mouth. Could have at least sent out a mass e-mail to the student body letting them know they could get in free.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

yraciv

Quote from: LibraryHog on February 04, 2010, 12:01:28 pm

That would help.
Thanks U of A,
NOT

I might have not got seasons if I knew single games were offered, especially since they are at the same rate. It is ridiculous that no one has been informed of this.

They also used to remind you by sending out an e-mail that basketball tickets are on sale. I don't remember getting one this year, and just happened to ask when they go on sale when redeeming my football tickets. They said that they already started.

The Pig

Quote from: Hawg2011 on February 04, 2010, 09:24:48 pm
Exactly.

Seems like sometimes people forgot what it was like (or never knew) what it's like to live on a college income.

Before you talk stuff, pull your head outta your a$$.

Pull my head out of my ass? Try playing ball, going to school and being forbidden (by the NCAA) to work for any extra income.

Hopefully you have parents who are able to provide some extra money, otherwise you have none and no ability to earn any.

I'm pretty darned familiar with almost five years of living on a "college" income.

Seems that if your head weren't buried so far up your ass, you would know these things.

The HAMtons

Quote from: Smokehouse on February 04, 2010, 06:01:55 pm
the administration does an awful job getting the word out on things like this. I was going anyway because I'm in the band, but the only way I heard students were getting in free was word of mouth. Could have at least sent out a mass e-mail to the student body letting them know they could get in free.
The U of A does a poor job communicating everything to students and fans. I bet 98% of our fans and students think you have to pay to set up a tent in The Gardens to tailgate during footbal season.

razobak

Quote from: Petrinoville on February 05, 2010, 11:18:55 am
The U of A does a poor job communicating everything to students and fans. I bet 98% of our fans and students think you have to pay to set up a tent in The Gardens to tailgate during footbal season.

You don't have to pay?
Go Hogs, Beat Refs!

Beaverfever

I agree with the communication thing.  The university can only blame itself.  They pretty much do nothing to promote students to go to games.

want2be

They need to give away 500 student tickets to each home game and give them seating behind the visitor's bench.

BigHog396

Quote from: Beaverfever on February 04, 2010, 05:43:13 pm
when did it start falling off?  The program has been basically irrelevant since Joe Johnson left campus.
It started falling off in '95.  The students in the upper half of the student section got to the point where they would hardly stand up then.  It was still good, and there were still times when it was incredible, but the level where it was in '94 was the peak.  It's been downhill ever since.