Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Great Article in Ark Trav on lack of UA student support....

Started by Mardi Hog Gras, February 04, 2010, 11:38:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Cooper

Dang, look at that Illinois student section! And they aren't even that good.
Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on March 21, 2011, 12:24:57 am
oh good...a poster with the word MILF in his avatar,  quoting scripture.
Quote from: ke2743 on March 07, 2011, 11:54:00 pm
Ok then, I'm going to need a vet, a priest, some rubber gloves and 3 gallons of boones farm.  Let's get this party started.

"Those who criticize our generation forget who raised it."

sasnakrafan

It's both the students fault and the athletic departments fault. The students should support the team no matter how good or bad they are... I graduated 2 years ago and made over 80% of the games and trust me those Stan Heath years were some awful times, it was a good game if we scored over 60 points. However, the athletic department doesn't allow the students or general fans to get into the flow of the game, because:

I. There is no flow, it's all advertising.

II. Students don't feel like they're part of the game- there's 2 student sections... the bleachers and the seats that are behind the "fence" --this gap makes it an awkward standing position +  of course like I've stated, it separates the students. Also, the ushers get onto you if you stand on the last row of the bleachers because you're blocking the people behind you. (hmmm ushers telling students to sit down).

However, If they were lined across the front rows all the way across... it would be but 8-10 rows deep and that'd be an embarrassment. Seating arrangements & allotment need to get better that's for sure to help out BWA's atmosphere.

ChicoHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 06, 2010, 11:46:33 am
Wow.  I had no idea.  This article really saddens me.  Student tickets were expensive when I was there, but you had to camp out to get them.  The line ran from the ticket window in the Broyles Center down the east side of Razorback Stadium (no Reynolds back then).  The jammed student section in Barnhill was centercourt.  Every game was an adrenaline rush. 

Whatever needs to happen to give students that experience once again needs to happen.
You must be from my era, early 80's?

LibraryHog

Quote from: Mr. Cooper on February 06, 2010, 09:26:57 pm
Dang, look at that Illinois student section! And they aren't even that good.

AHAHAHA, come on.
if we knew we were going to be on college gameday, we would definitely have that placed packed more than Illinois.

ulmerj79

Quote from: kingofdequeen on February 05, 2010, 03:25:30 pm
hogs start winning, butts will fill seats...as of this moment?

30 packs of keylight + beerpong + chasing box > hog bball.

^This.

I also agree with other posters the fact that the last time UA basketball was relevant, most current students were pre-k. They just weren't around to see where all those banners in the rafters came from, or what it took to get them. My dad took me to my first games in the mid-eighties, so its hard to expect students now to have the perspective I do. A lot of the game traditions are gone now that added to the atmosphere back then. Jim Robken, the light meter and the fans poking fun at the other team during their intros. Bama does their Rammer Jammer chant after each win they have.  We used to have something similiar BEFORE the basketball games started. Cant remember exactly how it went though.

mhsbc59

Quote from: Hog on the Hill on February 04, 2010, 02:29:23 pm
I'm a physics student.  Trust me, the "study excuse" is not BS.  There's no way I could hold a job and maintain my GPA.

I do have free time and I do have some extra money to spend (about $30 a month on non-essentials) but I have higher priorities than basketball games.  The little time and money I have to spare goes elsewhere.
You + life = lame lol! Jk.  Just remember all work and no play makes jonny a dull boy.
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

hogman

With the combination of doubling and tripling of tuition, bad economy, banks not lending as much (including student loans), the ability to watch the game as if you were standing behind the QB on a 52" HDTV... and, to find out when you actually try to go to a game, you get less than stellar seating options to where you can barely even see the game makes for poor college students opting to just watch it on the TV.

I wouldn't attribute the lack of attendance to lack of support for our team.