Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs reportedly offer '19 juco F Doudou Gueye

Started by Kevin McPherson, October 20, 2018, 04:38:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason Carroll

By Kevin McPherson

LITTLE ROCK -- After confirming that Arkansas coaches had been in Florida on Saturday to watch his versatile, inside-out playmaker, Daytona State College head coach Brock Morris reached out to a reporter a few days later to talk more about 2019 Hog offer Doudou Gueye's recruitment and impact as a player.

"They've (Arkansas coaches) seen him in person, and I know they've watched him a lot (via livestreamed games)," said Morris, whose junior college Falcons have started the season 8-0. "They really like his versatility and that he's so competitive. We've got several guys getting (recruiting) attention, so we try to keep them focused while helping with their recruiting when needed."

For more from Kevin click the link below:

https://www.nwahomepage.com/pig-trail-nation/juco-coach-talks-2019-doudou-gueye-s-game-and-arkansas-recruitment-plus-19-20-21-22-updates/1627559375

The_Iceman

batmanfan

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 29, 2018, 03:16:25 pm
We are losing Gafford, but there is no interest in Sy?

Ya that is puzzling to me. Especially when they were just down there Saturday to watch and he put up big numbers.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

SONofHAM

"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

MakingPlays

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 29, 2018, 03:16:25 pm
We are losing Gafford, but there is no interest in Sy?

There's always more to the story, it's not just about whether they can play basketball or not.  I was doing some research on Sy, and he left VA-Tech's program two different times, and now he's at his second junior college. He seemed to be very indecisive on what he wanted to do and kinda played VA-Tech around.  Maybe the staff is getting those same vibes.

Also, another thing to keep in mind, he started as a freshman for VA-Tech and he only averaged 4 PPG 3 RPG.  A lot of these guys can look really good at lower levels when they are by far the biggest guy on the court, but they don't adapt well to higher level of competition, when everyone is the same size or bigger than them.

The_Iceman

Quote from: MakingPlays on November 29, 2018, 03:44:49 pm
There's always more to the story, it's not just about whether they can play basketball or not.  I was doing some research on Sy, and he left VA-Tech's program two different times, and now he's at his second junior college. He seemed to be very indecisive on what he wanted to do and kinda played VA-Tech around.  Maybe the staff is getting those same vibes.

Also, another thing to keep in mind, he started as a freshman for VA-Tech and he only averaged 4 PPG 3 RPG.  A lot of these guys can look really good at lower levels when they are by far the biggest guy on the court, but they don't adapt well to higher level of competition, when everyone is the same size or bigger than them.

Agree with you on the first paragraph. Good find. May not fit the character Mike wants here.

The 2nd paragraph is irrelevant. Players develop at different rates. Freshman stats dont tell me much (see Moses Kingsley)

MakingPlays

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 29, 2018, 03:54:17 pm
Agree with you on the first paragraph. Good find. May not fit the character Mike wants here.

The 2nd paragraph is irrelevant. Players develop at different rates. Freshman stats dont tell me much (see Moses Kingsley)

The 2nd paragraph is very relevant, he wasn't producing and was in danger of losing his starting spot that's why he wanted to transfer out lol.

Also, Moses Kingsley wasn't a starter his freshman year and he was backing up a future 1st round draft pick.  Sy started his entire freshman season and was expected to be that guy in the middle for them and it just didn't work out that's why he wanted to transfer.   It's not a comparable situation.

I was trying to find more to the story, but just from what I read he left the team the first time in September 2017 when it looked like he may have been losing his starting spot to incoming players, then he got to JUCO the first time and decided he didn't want to do that, just took classes and redshirted, then decided to give VA Tech another go, same thing happened and he went back to JUCO again.

The_Bionic_Pig

Kevin does a excellent job at providing free info. 

Doudou school is 30 minutes east of me while Moses Moody is 45 minutes West. 

Dependant on my work schedule I plan on showing up with the wife (Seminole) to a game or 2 in December cloaked in noticeable Arkansas gear screaming at the top of my lungs.... 😉
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

MakingPlays

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on November 29, 2018, 05:52:40 pm

Dependant on my work schedule I plan on showing up with the wife (Seminole) to a game or 2 in December cloaked in noticeable Arkansas gear screaming at the top of my lungs.... 😉

Nice! 

mykidsdad

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on November 29, 2018, 05:52:40 pm

Throw in some hog calls while you are at it. That always will be noticed!

Hawg Red

Quote from: MakingPlays on November 29, 2018, 03:44:49 pm

Agreed. Personally, I'd like to see them not chase players like this who have bounced around for whatever reason. Nothing against Sy, and he may be really good, but that could just be more trouble for Mike down the road. So if they're not looking hard at this kid, I get it.

azhog10

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 29, 2018, 03:54:17 pm

IT's not irrelevant, but it's also not fact. Players could develop and players could look better against lesser competition and not as good against High Major players. What he said has merit but it's not a forgone conclusion.

razorback1829

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 30, 2018, 08:06:32 am
Agreed. Personally, I'd like to see them not chase players like this who have bounced around for whatever reason. Nothing against Sy, and he may be really good, but that could just be more trouble for Mike down the road. So if they're not looking hard at this kid, I get it.

It just feels like we are finding the chemistry we need... nothing against Sy and not even sure if he's an option, but I see baggage coming with this one. Gotta keep identifying the right guys.

hogwood

Quote from: razorback1829 on November 30, 2018, 11:04:06 pm
It just feels like we are finding the chemistry we need... nothing against Sy and not even sure if he's an option, but I see baggage coming with this one. Gotta keep identifying the right guys.

Gueye is 6'9" 220. I could see him starting at the 5 for us. Sy is only an inch taller. I know it makes a difference but it's not huge.

With Gueye at the 5, we could be a really unique and exciting team. You wouldn't want to be our opponent that's for sure.

ShadowHawg

Gueye is a must get. He definitely would keep up the momentum this program has going.

razorback1829

Quote from: hogwood on December 01, 2018, 11:41:35 am
Gueye is 6'9" 220. I could see him starting at the 5 for us. Sy is only an inch taller. I know it makes a difference but it's not huge.

With Gueye at the 5, we could be a really unique and exciting team. You wouldn't want to be our opponent that's for sure.

Gueye's game suggest that he is more of a wing player, than a post. Next year will be a different team. More guard dominated because Gafford and his production will be gone. Gueye will be more like Jordan Phillips. Still think there will be another big added somewhere. Gueye won't play the 5 though.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: razorback1829 on December 02, 2018, 12:44:07 pm
Gueye's game suggest that he is more of a wing player, than a post. Next year will be a different team. More guard dominated because Gafford and his production will be gone. Gueye will be more like Jordan Phillips. Still think there will be another big added somewhere. Gueye won't play the 5 though.

There is this thing called defense. Someone has to guard the other team's tall guy.

Portis' wasn't a back to the basket big either.

husker71

I follow some other colleges boards and I think KMac does the best job of giving straight info.  One board I was on was talking about players they had no hope in getting (I am talking top 10 players) and Kevin doesnt waste our time on those.  I have a feeling he is putting in lots of hours to keep us all informed.

hogwood

Quote from: ShadowHawg on December 02, 2018, 05:09:02 pm
There is this thing called defense. Someone has to guard the other team's tall guy.

Portis' wasn't a back to the basket big either.

Yeah I think we'd be pretty positionless on offense except for Harris or Hill being at the point. Everyone else could be pretty interchangeable. But as far as defense goes, if your tallest guy is 6'9" even if he's a wing type, he's defending down low. Gueye looks well built too - a physical challenger.

gmarv

Quote from: husker71 on December 02, 2018, 05:26:53 pm
I follow some other colleges boards and I think KMac does the best job of giving straight info.  One board I was on was talking about players they had no hope in getting (I am talking top 10 players) and Kevin doesnt waste our time on those.  I have a feeling he is putting in lots of hours to keep us all informed.
I think Kevin does a great job also.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: hogwood on December 03, 2018, 06:30:52 am
Yeah I think we'd be pretty positionless on offense except for Harris or Hill being at the point. Everyone else could be pretty interchangeable. But as far as defense goes, if your tallest guy is 6'9" even if he's a wing type, he's defending down low. Gueye looks well built too - a physical challenger.

You also have Chaney.

The Hogfather

Quote from: hogwood on December 01, 2018, 11:41:35 am

Would LOVE this.  Highly skilled team, especially on offense, and would be able to get up-and-down like nobody else.  Would definitely be fun to watch.

The_Bionic_Pig

Assessment: Doudou Gueye possesses Trey Thompson basketball IQ and is a very capable dribbler in a half court offense.  He had 13pts on 5-7 shooting (1-2 from 3) w/ 7 rebs.

In saying all that Khadim Sy is a far superior rebounder with 20rbs & 17pts. but his aggressiveness leads to high TO rate (similar to DG early in the season)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

hogwood

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on December 08, 2018, 01:19:42 pm
Assessment: Doudou Gueye possesses Trey Thompson basketball IQ and is a very capable dribbler in a half court offense.  He had 13pts on 5-7 shooting (1-2 from 3) w/ 7 rebs.

In saying all that Khadim Sy is a far superior rebounder with 20rbs & 17pts. but his aggressiveness leads to high TO rate (similar to DG early in the season)

Did you do a little WPS?

outlawhogeywells

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on December 08, 2018, 01:19:42 pm

take both of them.  I think there will be a couple of transfers at end of season. 

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on December 10, 2018, 10:26:49 am
take both of them.  I think there will be a couple of transfers at end of season. 

I believe they utilize the transfers (bench warmers) for the 2020 class because the current roster will have only 2 seniors I believe next season.

Their are 4 homegrown (counting Moody who is here in Florida) guy's remaining that would be considered must gets in most season not including the #1 player in Oklahoma who's a fan of the coaching staff (that makes 5)

I'd say add a healthy Javon Franklin &  Doudou Gueye or Tim Ceaser to go along with Justice Hill and call it a class
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

outlawhogeywells

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on December 10, 2018, 04:39:55 pm
I believe they utilize the transfers (bench warmers) for the 2020 class because the current roster will have only 2 seniors I believe next season.

Their are 4 homegrown (counting Moody who is here in Florida) guy's remaining that would be considered must gets in most season not including the #1 player in Oklahoma who's a fan of the coaching staff (that makes 5)

I'd say add a healthy Javon Franklin &  Doudou Gueye or Tim Ceaser to go along with Justice Hill and call it a class
how confident are you that we can get the top two in the 20 class?

Dominicanhog

Quote from: razorback1829 on November 30, 2018, 11:04:06 pm

Yeah, and when your already solid in character from top to bottom, why reach...that being said, if I could get a double with Sy, I'd bring him in, kick the tires, check his character as best I could.. He would not be all eggs in one basket type.. if he didn't work out, you've got other options..

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on December 11, 2018, 11:20:22 am
how confident are you that we can get the top two in the 20 class?

Confidence level: (in Arkansas favor)

Moody 50/50

Moore 60/40 (Penny in hot pursuit)

Doakes, Bryce & Williams 80/20 Arkansas
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Dominicanhog

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on December 12, 2018, 06:38:10 pm

Moody 50/50

I bet we end with Moore, Williams and Thompson... and what a class that would be...

pigzwillrise

I'd love to get moody but lost hope when he went to Florida

Letsroll1200

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on December 12, 2018, 06:38:10 pm

Moody 50/50

Are the Hogs actively recruiting Doakes?

razorback1829

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on December 13, 2018, 09:20:17 am
Are the Hogs actively recruiting Doakes?

Yes we are. He stated he talks to Coach Watkins "everyday" I believe.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: razorback1829 on December 13, 2018, 10:16:58 am
Yes we are. He stated he talks to Coach Watkins "everyday" I believe.

I don't think so

Swinesong1

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on December 13, 2018, 03:45:34 pm
I don't think so
This was posted this month:  -- 2020 Arkansas offer Gerald Doakes (6-1 combo guard, Milby High School in Houston by way of Jacksonville, reported offers from Texas A&M, Florida, Illinois, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, and others) took an unoficial visit to Houston on Saturday to watch the Cougars defeat then-15th-ranked Oregon, 65-61. On Wednesday, Nov. 28, Doakes gave a quick season / recruiting update: "I'm doing good so far, averaging 25 points per game. I get texts every day (from Arkansas associate head coach Melvin Watkins). They're coming to watch me soon, and I'm taking a visit (to Arkansas) soon."

The_Bionic_Pig

December 15, 2018, 08:28:42 pm #86 Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 09:53:32 am by The_Bionic_Pig
DouDou Gueye is essentially a 6'9 guard for Daytona State.  I realize how odd that sounds but at times he actually runs the point and initiates the offense.

Khadim Sy unlike Dou resides in the interior thus collects the vast majority of the rebounding and easily plays the most minutes and has the majority of the attempted shots. (thus the inflated stats)

If I were to compare him talent wise to our present roster just add 2" to a Jordan Phillips as they are so similar in skill level but will play differing positions.

I can't see Doudou beating out Chaney at the 4 but he is a major upgrade over Baily & slightly ahead of Osabuohien in my opinion.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: pigzwillrise on December 13, 2018, 07:48:15 am
I'd love to get moody but lost hope when he went to Florida

I believe Arkansas is in much better shape post-injury than pre-injury. As of right now my guess would be Fayetteville
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

batmanfan

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on December 15, 2018, 08:28:42 pm
DouDou Gueye is essentially a 6'9 guard for Daytona State.  I realize how odd that sounds but at times he actually runs the point and initiates the offense.

Khadim Sy unlike Dou resides in the interior thus collects the vast majority of the rebounding and easily plays the most minutes and has the majority of the attempted shots. (thus the inflated stats)

If I were to compare him talent wise to our present roster just add 2" to a Jordan Phillips as they are so similar in skill level but will play differing positions.

I can't see Doudou beating out Chaney at the 4 but he is a major upgrade over Baily & slightly ahead of Osabuohien in my opinion.

Have you seen Dou in person yet?
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

hogwood

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on December 15, 2018, 08:28:42 pm

What do you think of a Gueye, Chaney, Jones, Joe, Harris lineup? Could Gueye and Chaney play together as "bigs"? Then bring Henderson, Bailey, or Osa in off the bench to fill in for either.

hogwood

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on December 16, 2018, 09:57:43 am
I believe Arkansas is in much better shape post-injury than pre-injury. As of right now my guess would be Fayetteville

I think we're in as gods of shape as any at this point for Moody. Plus we have the advantage of being the home state and the staff has known Moody and his family since he was a freshman.

Kevin McPherson

* '19 Arkansas offer DouDou Gueye (6-9, 220, sophomore combo forward, Dayton State College juco in Florida) had double-double Saturday = 19 pts & 13 rbs in Falcons W ... thru 16 gms, Gueye avg 21.8 mins, 11.1 pts, 6.4 rb, 2.3 ast, 1.3 stl while shooting 52.7% FGs, incl 38.6% from 3

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/1080507969081696256

Razorod

Really like his game, the fact that he's a junior and that he would compliment Chaney very nicely.

My personal preference for the '19 class is Hill, Gueye, and a post-grad transfer. But, that's just me.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

The real Hogules

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on December 16, 2018, 09:57:43 am

I hope that you're correct, but Moody never has seemed "to me" to be that interested in Arkansas.
I guess the quotes that I had seen and Kevin saying he thought that the Hogs odds of landing him went down when Moody blew up in AAU Summer ball.
Now, I did get the feeling that Arkansas would get a cursory visit, but I never really expected him to ink with the Hogs once his stock took off.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

MakingPlays

Juco recruiting just put out their top 100 rankings.  Gueye comes in at #63, which is a bit surprising, watching him and all he can do, I thought for sure he'd be like the top 20 or so.  Although I will say Mason Jones didn't even make their rankings and I remember Jabril Durham was ranked at the bottom of the top 100 as well. 

https://www.jucorecruiting.com/2019-juco-basketball-top-100-rankings

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: MakingPlays on January 11, 2019, 10:41:00 pm
Juco recruiting just put out their top 100 rankings.  Gueye comes in at #63, which is a bit surprising, watching him and all he can do, I thought for sure he'd be like the top 20 or so.  Although I will say Mason Jones didn't even make their rankings and I remember Jabril Durham was ranked at the bottom of the top 100 as well. 

https://www.jucorecruiting.com/2019-juco-basketball-top-100-rankings
I thought Mason did make the rankings because they didn't add in Freshman.
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"