Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

On Hallowed Ground

Started by oldhawg, April 07, 2017, 11:48:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

oldhawg

While visiting the Texas State Cemetery in Austin, I came across these six headstones all together.

oldhawg

Quote from: oldhawg on April 07, 2017, 11:48:31 pm
While visiting the Texas State Cemetery in Austin, I came across these six headstones all together.

Pictures do not seem to be coming up. Six Medal of Honor awardees buried side by side.  Gave me reason to pause for a few moments and thank God for their service.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 08, 2017, 07:39:02 am
Having just returned from a trip to Washington D.C., a visit to Arlington National Cemetery evoked similar feelings within me.  Watching the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Solider and realizing the dedication and commitment the honor guard makes in performing this solemn duty 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and 365 days a year is beyond my ability to describe using the written word. 

A visit to a hallowed shrine such as Arlington National Cemetery helps me regain some lost perspective on life. 

Very nice, Oldhawg.
Totally understand and agree. Absolutely no doubt impressive.

If you ever have the opportunity to visit France and more specifically, Normandy don't miss the American Cemetery overlooking Omaha Beach. It was shown in the opening and closing scenes of Saving Pvt. Ryan. And while those scenes are incredibly moving, just being on the grounds and seeing the care and attention that both the French people and American government have taken to set aside and maintain this land is beyond words. I honestly found myself crying because like with all of war's dead, what talents and lives that could have been realized and never were reminds me of the irreplaceable price of conflict. 

Großer Kriegschwein

My cousin's grave at the national cemetery in Florence, SC.

Definitely more meritorious than me.
This is my non-signature signature.

bob slydell

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on April 08, 2017, 09:19:45 pm
Totally understand and agree. Absolutely no doubt impressive.

If you ever have the opportunity to visit France and more specifically, Normandy don't miss the American Cemetery overlooking Omaha Beach. It was shown in the opening and closing scenes of Saving Pvt. Ryan. And while those scenes are incredibly moving, just being on the grounds and seeing the care and attention that both the French people and American government have taken to set aside and maintain this land is beyond words. I honestly found myself crying because like with all of war's dead, what talents and lives that could have been realized and never were reminds me of the irreplaceable price of conflict.

Totally agree about visiting the American Cemetery.  Normandy in general was the most awe inspiring trip that I think I've ever taken.  We were there during the 70th anniversary memorial.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Bob Slydell on April 17, 2017, 03:16:30 pm
Totally agree about visiting the American Cemetery.  Normandy in general was the most awe inspiring trip that I think I've ever taken.  We were there during the 70th anniversary memorial.
Interesting that you were there in '14. So were my wife and I. Perhaps (unknowingly) we happened to run into you.

LSUFan

My kids went to Arlington a few years back.

I told them to take off their shoes before they entered, and speak softly.

I have 3 good boys.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

Großer Kriegschwein

In Seoul, school classes have assigned areas of the UN cemetery. They manicure the grass and weeds with scissors.
This is my non-signature signature.

bob slydell

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on April 22, 2017, 04:28:05 pm
In Seoul, school classes have assigned areas of the UN cemetery. They manicure the grass and weeds with scissors.

If you've been to the American cemetery in Ardennes, Belgium, you probably know that the locals do something similar there.  They are very appreciative of the American sacrifice in their country.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.