Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

End of the year evaluation meeting with Long and BB

Started by checkraiser88, October 22, 2017, 05:10:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

checkraiser88

What will BB say? Seriously, what are his selling points for another year? I know the talking heads on ESPN gameday yesterday said BB would survive this season. I just don't see how, look at his resume here? It was in question even before this season started!

Tejano Jawg

Do they have such a ritual?...post-mortem meeting? I know they used to.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

ur

Where are you going to go?
I don't know. Where are you going?

jst01

Long probably just meets with him to explain that there are no hard feelings and he appreciates all BB's time an effort but the trend the program is going requires them to part ways. They shake hands and move on. Then attorneys and agents handle the rest.

Hoggish1

Whatever he says won't be to Jeff Long.  The man is out of here before BB goes.

Hoggish1

Quote from: jst01 on October 22, 2017, 06:13:55 pm
Long probably just meets with him to explain that there are no hard feelings and he appreciates all BB's time an effort but the trend the program is going requires them to part ways. They shake hands and move on. Then attorneys and agents handle the rest.

No, sorry but Long will not be there to sully the next step for the program.  BB will be meeting either with an interim AD or the new AD.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Hoggish1 on October 22, 2017, 06:16:27 pm

Please let this be true.

rhames

Quote from: Hoggish1 on October 22, 2017, 06:16:27 pm

Y'all are going to be real disappointed when his extension gets approved lol.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Pecos Hog

Bret tells Jeffy that the team has had some great practices and is really close to getting it together.   Jeffy gets excited about it and offers a raise and a contract extension.   Not too far off am I?

factchecker

Quote from: Hoggish1 on October 22, 2017, 06:20:54 pm
No, sorry but Long will not be there to sully the next step for the program.  BB will be meeting either with an interim AD or the new AD.

We will find out the truth in a couple of weeks.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Quote from: rhames on October 22, 2017, 06:32:45 pm

Yep.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Heres what he told pelphrey

"After a thorough and comprehensive evaluation of our men's basketball program, including an assessment of the overall student-athlete experience within our program, it is clear that we have not made the progress over the last four years that is necessary to return Razorback Basketball to a place of national relevance," said Long in a statement. "As a program, our initial goals are to challenge for Southeastern Conference championships, compete in the NCAA Tournament and support our student-athletes in the pursuit of a degree. Our program's tradition demonstrates those goals are certainly attainable at the University of Arkansas.

Augustus

Quote from: checkraiser88 on October 22, 2017, 05:10:25 pm
What will BB say? Seriously, what are his selling points for another year? I know the talking heads on ESPN gameday yesterday said BB would survive this season. I just don't see how, look at his resume here? It was in question even before this season started!

I hope you're referring to a meeting with Jeff Long, Bret Bielema...and University of Arkansas Chancellor Joseph E. Steinmetz...

And both Jeff & Bret have to explain to the UofA Chancellor why they both shouldn't be fired

ur

Steinmetz could send the same letter to Long.

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on October 22, 2017, 06:48:45 pm
Heres what he told pelphrey Long

“After a thorough and comprehensive evaluation of our men’s basketball athletic program, including an assessment of the overall student-athlete experience within our program, it is clear that we have not made the progress over the last four  10+years that is necessary to return the Razorbacks Basketball to a place of national relevance,” said Long Steinmetz in a statement. “As a program, our initial goals are to challenge for Southeastern Conference championships, compete in the NCAA Tournament and support our student-athletes in the pursuit of a degree. Our program’s tradition demonstrates those goals are certainly attainable at the University of Arkansas.

jst01

Quote from: ur on October 22, 2017, 07:04:52 pm
Steinmetz could send the same letter to Long.

No no no. Besides football, every other program competes at the highest level.

HoggyCat

That ain't happening. Not the disappointed part, the extension part.

Cite your source.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

They will toast to each other for both making 7 figures at the expense of the rube Arkansas people.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

HoggyCat

Quote from: jst01 on October 22, 2017, 07:13:33 pm

So both basketball teams are final 4, baseball is in Omaha every year....??  No one cares about anything else (outside of parents of the athletes and a few... very few die hards). Outside of track, are we even competing for conference championships anywhere else??

EastexHawg

Quote from: jst01 on October 22, 2017, 07:13:33 pm

The men's basketball team has won three NCAA tournament games in ten years since Long took over.  Do you really think that is the "highest level"?

Damn, our expectations have plummeted.

factchecker

Quote from: HoggyCat on October 22, 2017, 07:34:46 pm
Outside of track, are we even competing for conference championships anywhere else??

Both the baseball and basketball team made it to the SEC championship game last season.

You won't care about this: but our women's soccer team made it to the SEC championship game last season as well.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

chanhog1996

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 22, 2017, 07:40:59 pm
The men's basketball team has won three NCAA tournament games in ten years since Long took over.  Do you really think that is the "highest level"?

Two of those three wins coming from the last three years. We also got cheated out of a sweet 16 visit by a coach and team that shouldn't have even been eligible. That team also ended up winning the national championship.

The OTR

Maybe they shouldn't wait to meet until the end of the season. 

I think cbb's gotta be miserable right now.  He came her confident bordering on cocky.  He has gained at least 100 pounds in the past five years, maybe more.  He knows he's on the hot seat.  He knows he is wildly unpopular with the fan base. And he knows there's no time left for him to turn things around. He also knows he has a big buyout.  He could take a year off, get himself healthier and lose some weight, spend time with his family, and come back and do some tv work.  He might be great at that, probably would be. 

I'd say he is expecting to be fired and will leave with more class than most other coaches who leave here display. 

I just wish they'd do it now so we could start trying to find a coach and have someone in place by dec. 1 to help with recruiting. 

rhames

Quote from: HoggyCat on October 22, 2017, 07:31:43 pm

Cite your source.

Lol. 

There is a difference between saying something won't happen,  and saying you don't want said thing to happen. 

Long is going to be here until he leaves for another job or, hold your breath, retires here. 

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

factchecker

Quote from: HoggyCat on October 22, 2017, 07:31:43 pm

Cite your source.

Cite your source that the extension isn't happening or that Long will be fired.

Nobody on hogville has a clue to what is going to happen but it's funny seeing people who NEVER provide links ask for one.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

EastexHawg

Quote from: chanhog1996 on October 22, 2017, 07:44:34 pm
  Two of those three wins coming from the last three years. We also got cheated out of a sweet 16 visit by a coach and team that shouldn't have even been eligible. That team also ended up winning the national championship.

And what you have described is "the highest level"?  You do realize the program has been to several Final Fours and won a national championship, right?

I wonder how many programs have won more than three NCAA tournament games in the last decade.

chanhog1996

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 22, 2017, 07:49:56 pm
And what you have described is "the highest level"?  You do realize the program has been to several Final Fours and won a national championship, right?

I wonder how many programs have won more than three NCAA tournament games in the last decade.

You realize there's over 300 D1 basketball programs and everyone has the same goal, to win right?  Coach MA has a winning record. The real question should be how many teams have won more than 2 games in the tournament in the last 3 years, not the last 10. MA is doing this with jucos and 3 stars while other programs are paying 5 stars which is why there's a huge FBI investigation, and he still wins. Have you even paid attention to our recent recruiting classes? Did you even watch last season?

NuttinItUp

They just gonna be talkin' bout those million$$!!

EastexHawg

Quote from: chanhog1996 on October 22, 2017, 07:57:28 pm
You realize there's over 300 D1 basketball programs and everyone has the same goal, to win right?  Coach MA has a winning record. The real question should be how many teams have won more than 2 games in the tournament in the last 3 years, not the last 10. MA is doing this with jucos and 3 stars while other programs are paying 5 stars which is why there's a huge FBI investigation, and he still wins. Have you even paid attention to our recent recruiting classes? Did you even watch last season?

Yes, I have been watching Razorback basketball since the days of Martin Terry and Dean Tolson.  Mike Anderson has won two tournament games, one against Wofford and last year against Seton Hall.  His teams have for the most part played terrible non-conference schedules...and lost when they did go up against a decent OOC opponent such as Minnesota.

Now, are you going to tell me what I have missed that qualifies as the "highest level"?  Not sucking doesn't qualify as being among the elite.

Inhogswetrust

Maybe they need to schedule this meeting early..........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

(notOM)Rebel123

You need to clarify that you are talking about JL and not CBB.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

factchecker

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on October 22, 2017, 08:13:11 pm

Jeff Long is the only one whose contract is coming up.  We should know by early to mid November whether or not Long has signed an extension.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

rhames

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on October 22, 2017, 08:13:11 pm

I thought it was obvious but can see how it could be misunderstood.

chanhog1996

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 22, 2017, 08:10:20 pm
Yes, I have been watching Razorback basketball since the days of Martin Terry and Dean Tolson.  Mike Anderson has won two tournament games, one against Wofford and last year against Seton Hall.  His teams have for the most part played terrible non-conference schedules...and lost when they did go up against a decent OOC opponent such as Minnesota.

Now, are you going to tell me what I have missed that qualifies as the "highest level"?  Not sucking doesn't qualify as being among the elite.

You make fair points. We'll see this year with an improved non conference schedule. I think we should be mad at the football program because they are a national embarrassment. Last year our basketball program gave us something to be proud of and hope for the future. The NC game was a heck of a game. MA has won 54 more games than he's lost and he's going to be truly tested this year. So we'll see...

HardCore

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

Ironhawg

Quote from: factchecker on October 22, 2017, 08:14:39 pm
Jeff Long is the only one whose contract is coming up.  We should know by early to mid November whether or not Long has signed an extension.

I have no information, so this is JMHO, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Jeff Long stay until the stadium is finished then leave on his own for greener pastures.  I'm a little surprised he hasn't been mentioned for the UVA AD job.  I think that one is open or about to be.
If Bielema is here next season I will lose any remaining hope I have left for Razorback football.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: rhames on October 22, 2017, 08:15:08 pm

I thought it was obvious but can see how it could be misunderstood.

I'm sorry. I knew who you where referring to, but others on here...well, you never know what rabbit hole they'll go down. 😉
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

HardCore

Quote from: Ironhawg on October 22, 2017, 08:52:52 pm

I'm a little surprised he hasn't been mentioned for the UVA AD job.  I think that one is open or about to be.

You mean UVA didn't want the Greatest, Heaven-Sent, Most Respected by everybody that doesn't want him, Messiah of an AD, Jeff?  They hired a chick and not Jeff?  Unbelievable!
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

jst01

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 22, 2017, 07:40:59 pm

We play and compete with any team out there. We don't walk into the court and have doubts if we can even cover the spread. We are definitely on an upward trajectory in hoops. Baseball is obviously stable and strong. So I believe that we only lack in football and that with the right coach, we'll be back to an upward trajectory.

HoggyCat

Quote from: rhames on October 22, 2017, 07:47:04 pm

Lol. 

There is a difference between saying something won't happen,  and saying you don't want said thing to happen. 

Long is going to be here until he leaves for another job or, hold your breath, retires here.

Based on what??

Because I'm hearing that he's gone.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HardCore on October 22, 2017, 09:08:31 pm
You mean UVA didn't want the Greatest, Heaven-Sent, Most Respected by everybody that doesn't want him, Messiah of an AD, Jeff?  They hired a chick and not Jeff?  Unbelievable!

You must not have lived in VA and hear stuff about UVA much. I did. That school is the biggest enigma of all.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Redhogs

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 22, 2017, 07:46:24 pm
Maybe they shouldn't wait to meet until the end of the season. 

I think cbb's gotta be miserable right now.  He came her confident bordering on cocky.  He has gained at least 100 pounds in the past five years, maybe more.  He knows he's on the hot seat.  He knows he is wildly unpopular with the fan base. And he knows there's no time left for him to turn things around. He also knows he has a big buyout.  He could take a year off, get himself healthier and lose some weight, spend time with his family, and come back and do some tv work.  He might be great at that, probably would be. 

I'd say he is expecting to be fired and will leave with more class than most other coaches who leave here display. 

I just wish they'd do it now so we could start trying to find a coach and have someone in place by dec. 1 to help with recruiting.
Why? They are going to have a great week of practice, I'm sure Bert does not want to give those up. ;) ;)
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Redhogs

Quote from: HardCore on October 22, 2017, 09:08:31 pm
Yea...guess they just don't have #integrity or care about test scores....

Redhogs

Quote from: HoggyCat on October 22, 2017, 09:38:45 pm
Based on what??

From who? Sure hope it's accurate.

PonderinHog

"Bret, your record sucks."

"Well, you hired me."

"You're fired."

"No, I quit."

rhames

Based on what??

If you're "hearing" that he, Long, is gone when why isn't he gone yet?

HawgPound

Based on what??

Source?  You just called someone out in this thread for not providing one.

Ex-Trumpet

If an interim AD is in place for the next hire, forget about getting a quality coach.  No quality coach will commit to a job without knowing who the boss is or what his managing style will be.

And the next coaching search will begin within a year--two at the most.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

HawgPound

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 23, 2017, 08:10:15 am
If an interim AD is in place for the next hire, forget about getting a quality coach.  No quality coach will commit to a job without knowing who the boss is or what his managing style will be.

And the next coaching search will begin within a year--two at the most.
That is what I keep thinking about when reading the fire Long post. Either they want Bielema gone this season or Long. It will not be both.

NaturalStateReb

"Jeff, do you know anybody down at U-Haul?  Looking for a discount."
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.