Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Glamour Sports...and Recruiting

Started by hassettsportsman, October 02, 2017, 08:46:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hassettsportsman

Recruiting top shelf talent doesn't seem to be a problem with our historically successful track program.  Look at our golf teams.  Our baseball program attracts top tier players.  Why is there such a difference with our football program?  And for another thread...our basketball team.

hogsanity

Quote from: hassettsportsman on October 02, 2017, 08:46:32 am
Recruiting top shelf talent doesn't seem to be a problem with our historically successful track program.  Look at our golf teams.  Our baseball program attracts top tier players.  Why is there such a difference with our football program?  And for another thread...our basketball team.

Demographics of not only the state of Arkansas, but pretty much within 300 miles of Fayetteville.

College baseball is primarily a white sport. Sorry, no other way to put it. Go to most of the high level showcase tournaments for baseball from 9th - 12th grade. 90%+ white players. And, since baseball in college only gives partial scholarships, those players have to either pay most of their own way or qualify for academic scholarships. Same for golf, it is a white sport. Track, Arkansas built it's program on middle distance runners, who were white and often from Europe. Once the program became a national power they began to attract sprinters as well as long distance runners and good field event athletes.

You can look up the demographics of each SEC state, and the surrounding areas, it is remarkable the contrast in AR to the other SEC states, as well as the areas in and around other schools like Clemson, FSU, Miami and others. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hassettsportsman

Your observations are well noted and aptly described.  During the Roman Era, there were 3 groups of people that attended the 'games'.  The gladiators that participated, the spectators, and the vendors/merchants that profited.  Was Jimmy the Greek completely wrong in his statements?  As we know, a very slim percentage of those who play on Saturdays will excel on Sundays.  I'd be very interested in any statistical data that relates to incarceration rates for disposable athletes post college.  It's a noble goal to 'prepare' student-warriors for a successful life after the spotlight fades. Have we really evolved from the aforementioned Roman times?

onebadrubi

The two sports with the most corrupt recruiting, basketball and football. If you don't know what's going on after last week then making a thread about it isn't going to help you

Inhogswetrust

You're kidding right?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hogsanity

Quote from: hassettsportsman on October 02, 2017, 09:47:49 am

. Have we really evolved from the aforementioned Roman times?

No. Just look how people freak out anytime the question of is football worth risk? They always go to the extreme that some are trying to do away with football. 1st question that comes to my mind is So what if it did go away. The earth went along quite well before it was created. 2nd question is why do people who do not play the game worry so much about the game going away. That answer is easy, they are the crowd at the coliseum. They are there to watch the gladiators.

Jimmy was right, and the #'s bear out that AA athletes are just better at FB than others. If not they would not be such a majority in the p5 of FBS or in the NFL. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Piggfoot

Quote from: hogsanity on October 02, 2017, 08:57:11 am
Demographics of not only the state of Arkansas, but pretty much within 300 miles of Fayetteville.

College baseball is primarily a white sport. Sorry, no other way to put it. Go to most of the high level showcase tournaments for baseball from 9th - 12th grade. 90%+ white players. And, since baseball in college only gives partial scholarships, those players have to either pay most of their own way or qualify for academic scholarships. Same for golf, it is a white sport. Track, Arkansas built it's program on middle distance runners, who were white and often from Europe. Once the program became a national power they began to attract sprinters as well as long distance runners and good field event athletes.

You can look up the demographics of each SEC state, and the surrounding areas, it is remarkable the contrast in AR to the other SEC states, as well as the areas in and around other schools like Clemson, FSU, Miami and others. 
By George I believe you've got it!!!
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

J-Five

Quote from: hogsanity on October 02, 2017, 08:57:11 am

This pretty much sums it up.

"If the person you're criticizing is doing it better than you are, close your mouth"