Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UGA pushing SEC expansion?

Started by Hawghiggs, August 11, 2015, 09:10:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lake City Hog

I would start with NC State, then ECU and last would be Wake. But, here we go again adding a "lesser team to the East and a real competitor to the West!!

We should not kid ourselves, OU would come in and be competitive from day 1.

Hoggard

That was a very interesting read. ECU to the SEC ? I guess I never thought about it. But it gets the SEC brand right in the middle of the ACC market. It would help ECU grow and expand beyond 60K really fast. Interesting to say the least. Oklahoma and ECU...

Thanks for posting the article.
God is Love. Its as simple as that. It's the one fruit I can and WILL judge you by.

flagstaffhog

I don't want to share texas recruits with oklahoma. ....
Go HOGS Go!

Hoggard

Quote from: Lake City Hog on August 11, 2015, 09:18:38 pm
I would start with NC State, then ECU and last would be Wake. But, here we go again adding a "lesser team to the East and a real competitor to the West!!

We should not kid ourselves, OU would come in and be competitive from day 1.

ECU is not an automatic win by any stretch. But I see your point. One other thing to consider is that just the threat of us bringing ECU into the fold could force some of the ACC schools that stand to miss out to consider joining. Look at what the Aggies leaving has done to Texas and the Big 12 ... Does North Carolina want to endure that or do they want to consider joining the SEC. Its a no lose situation for the SEC.
God is Love. Its as simple as that. It's the one fruit I can and WILL judge you by.

theFlyingHog

HogBreath

Whether we expand or not, let's get Commissioner Sly to move Vandy & Mizzou to the west, and put Auburn & Bamma in the east.  Of course it's just a matter of time before OU is in the SEC, might as well add ECU if NC State doesn't want to come, or maybe Virginia Tech.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

JaketheSnake

Quote from: flagstaffhog on August 11, 2015, 09:38:29 pm
OU still beats us for many Texas recruits we go after...

Boarmonger

It would be fun to get OU but I think the West would be less competitive.  The move would provide the opportunity for Bama and Auburn to move East and Mizzou West.  Not saying that neither OU nor Mizzou is competitive, they are.  Just referring to the sum of the parts.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: theFlyingHog on August 11, 2015, 09:40:22 pm
ECU? This isn't April 1, is it?

Not the best scenario but not the worst either. That being said the site is nothing more than a bunch of UGA students. NO affiliation with the UGA athletic department in Any official capacity. That does not make UGA pushing for expansion in any way shape or form as the thread title questions.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

My favorites are get one from Virginia and one from North Carolina and tell zero u they had their chance.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

WorfHog

No way South Carolina wants an EAST Carolina in the SEC. No way in hell that ever happens.

Hawghiggs

I like the idea of adding Oklahoma and Okie state. I use to didn't want OSU. But now I've come around to it.  With those additions that would split the conference just about even.  Below is a good image of what the conference would look like.  It puts Arkansas right in the middle of the newly formed west division.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/10/66f17d0c5e03d368b0b8aaa69e4ff93e.jpg

NuttinItUp

ECU should never be admitted to the SEC.

There are 10-20 teams that should be invited ahead of them.

bphi11ips

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!

Remember when we played Eastern Caldonia in the North Wind Bowl in what's his name's second year?  Three of their alumni actually thought we cared.  They haven't been back since.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Hoggard

I'd like to see us add North Carolina or Virginia or both. But I've heard more than once that they are charter members of the ACC, and that they won't be leaving. The ACC is a very very strong conference in football and basketball, baseball too Virginia got us this year. Florida State, Clemson, Georgia Tech very strong football conference. Louisville is pretty good too and Cutcliffe even has Duke playing well.

Anyone think we have a snowball chance of pulling two ACC schools ?

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Hoggard on August 12, 2015, 12:46:36 am
I'd like to see us add North Carolina or Virginia or both. But I've heard more than once that they are charter members of the ACC, and that they won't be leaving. The ACC is a very very strong conference in football and basketball, baseball too Virginia got us this year. Florida State, Clemson, Georgia Tech very strong football conference. Louisville is pretty good too and Cutcliffe even has Duke playing well.

Screw Louisville as long as Petrino is coaching there.

Hoggard

Quote from: NuttinItUp on August 12, 2015, 12:49:46 am
Screw Louisville as long as Petrino is coaching there.

Fair enough. But they were pretty good under Strong.  :razorback:

Svrdhd

If Alabama and Auburn were to move to the Eastern Dvision, the West would immediately become an afterthought.
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 11, 2015, 11:25:56 pm
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!

Remember when we played Eastern Caldonia in the North Wind Bowl in what's his name's second year?  Three of their alumni actually thought we cared.  They haven't been back since.

I did care.  That was a nailbiter.

EFBAB

lefty08

Honestly I think I'd rather add E Carolina before I'd add NC State
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

rickm1976

Quote from: flagstaffhog on August 11, 2015, 09:38:29 pm

I don't either, but we did it for years in the SWC.  Texas and OU (and A&M to an extent) got the cream of the crop, but we got our share of recruits, which were still elite players.  Of course, we didn't face quite as stiff competition from top to bottom back then as we do now.

MuskogeeHogFan

If the writer is merely looking to find a footprint in N. Carolina, why not North Carolina A&T or Appalachian State? I'm kidding obviously, but it might make the SEC look somewhat desperate to invite the likes of E. Carolina. I think that would be a bit of a stretch. Is that the best that the SEC can do for the East Division and the conference as a whole?

As for the West side, I know it has been stated repeatedly but I don't think you are going to see Oklahoma being allowed (state politics) to leave Oklahoma State behind holding the bag. Oklahoma's departure wouldn't have to change their annual grudge match with Texas in Dallas each year, but that departure would probably end the annual Bedlam Game with Okla State and within Oklahoma that is a pretty big and important game each year. If Oklahoma brought Oklahoma State with them to the SEC, they could keep both of these games in their scheduling and state politics would likely approve such a move.
Go Hogs Go!

UAfanatic

That was not worth my time reading.

The whole supposition was that Oklahoma wasn't worth it if you had to take Oke State.

But then, Hyphenated UNC-Charlotte and directional Eastern Carolina were better choices.

Ugh.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hawghiggs on August 11, 2015, 09:10:01 pm
http://ugafootballlive.com/news/time-for-the-prestigious-sec-brand-to-fill-in-a-geographic-gap/  Make of it what you will.

And guess where the author of this article lives? The Charlotte, N.C. area. What a surprise. Somebody wants in the SEC. ;)
Go Hogs Go!

Exit Pursued by a Boar

I saw nothing in that article that suggested Georgia was pushing anything.

The focus on endowments was bizarre.  Neither UNC-Charlotte or ECU have anything approaching UA's endowment, which is just short of a $1B.  I haven't looked up the endowments of other SEC schools, but I suspect we are middle to back of the back.  I am almost certain we're behind UT, UF, Vandy, and A&M, and probably LSU, Kentucky, SC and Bama. But, if endowment's matter to an expansion choice (and I am not sure they do) $150M- $160M aint gonna do it.

EFBAB

hogcard1964

Quote from: theFlyingHog on August 11, 2015, 09:40:22 pm
ECU? This isn't April 1, is it?

They bring nothing.  As does NC St.   

jpsand

Give arkansas another team..... Arkansas state?  Just kidding!

EastexHawg

Just bring in Oklahoma and Oklahoma State and be done with it.  This is a sports conference, so who really cares about OSU's academics?  Besides, the SEC isn't exactly the Ivy League as it stands right now.

You're the best athletic conference and you want to at least maintain your position if not better it.  You do that by adding the biggest fish available (Oklahoma, since Texas probably isn't interested).  You not only strengthen your own brand, but you prevent another conference from taking them and strengthening theirs.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: Hawghiggs on August 11, 2015, 10:20:11 pm
I like the idea of adding Oklahoma and Okie state. I use to didn't want OSU. But now I've come around to it.  With those additions that would split the conference just about even.  Below is a good image of what the conference would look like.  It puts Arkansas right in the middle of the newly formed west division.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/10/66f17d0c5e03d368b0b8aaa69e4ff93e.jpg
That line is getting closer and closer to putting us back in the Big 12.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 12, 2015, 09:08:21 am
Just bring in Oklahoma and Oklahoma State and be done with it.  This is a sports conference, so who really cares about OSU's academics?  Besides, the SEC isn't exactly the Ivy League as it stands right now.

You're the best athletic conference and you want to at least maintain your position if not better it.  You do that by adding the biggest fish available (Oklahoma, since Texas probably isn't interested).  You not only strengthen your own brand, but you prevent another conference from taking them and strengthening theirs.

FWIW, Oklahoma State's academic ranking is better than that of Miss State, who currently sits at the bottom of the SEC in that regard.
Go Hogs Go!

EastexHawg

Oklahoma State is at least solid in football, occasionally much better than solid.  They have a history of success in both basketball and baseball if that matters to anyone.  They have upgraded their facilities.  Just do it.

Mulberry Squeezins

I'm sorry but one school from Oklahoma is enough, if it happens and we can't get OU, then forget about it.  Okie light is a joke.

buffaload

Quote from: Hoggard on August 11, 2015, 09:39:28 pm
ECU is not an automatic win by any stretch. But I see your point. One other thing to consider is that just the threat of us bringing ECU into the fold could force some of the ACC schools that stand to miss out to consider joining. Look at what the Aggies leaving has done to Texas and the Big 12 ... Does North Carolina want to endure that or do they want to consider joining the SEC. Its a no lose situation for the SEC.

Pretty sure we're already doing that.  Plus, I've always heard that Oklahoma and Ok. State are a package deal.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Mulberry Squeezins on August 12, 2015, 09:33:24 am
I'm sorry but one school from Oklahoma is enough, if it happens and we can't get OU, then forget about it.  Okie light is a joke.

I'm not a big fan of Oklahoma State at all but that is ridiculous when we are having a conversation about E. Carolina joining the SEC in this same thread.
Go Hogs Go!

EastexHawg

Quote from: Mulberry Squeezins on August 12, 2015, 09:33:24 am

No, East Carolina is a joke. 

I said nothing about taking OSU and not Oklahoma.  I said the SEC should just bring in both of them, if they are willing, and be done with it. 

The talk about population centers and TV markets is overly simplistic.  Does it matter?  Yes, to an extent.  Does prestige and interest in the program at least regionally if not nationally also matter?  Of course it does.  I live in Texas, not far from the DFW megamarket.  Houston isn't that far away.  Does that mean I tune in to see SMU, Rice, and Houston when their games are televised?  No, I couldn't care less about them.  The locations of their campuses are utterly irrelevant as far as I am concerned.

I won't even tune in to see them play Alabama or LSU because I have no interest in watching blowouts.

Now...what if Oklahoma is playing Alabama or LSU?  Or even if Oklahoma State is playing one of them in an early season game?  I'm tuning in, especially if it's OU.  They have gravitas when it comes to college football and people couldn't care less that their campus isn't in a major media market.

GuvHog

Quote from: UAfanatic on August 12, 2015, 07:28:48 am

The whole supposition was that Oklahoma wasn't worth it if you had to take Oke State.

But then, Hyphenated UNC-Charlotte and directional Eastern Carolina were better choices.

Ugh.

I agree. The writer's idea of adding ECU and Oklahoma would not work anyway because Mizzou agreed to temporarily join the SEC East with assurances that they would soon move to the SEC West.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Dwight_K_Shrute

Funny, reads a lot like this, posted days ago (and uses the same graphic). Although the author of this thread used more numbers/stats and better teams.  The AC that wrote the UGA piece lost all credibility by suggesting ECU.  A&M already showed how lucrative it can be to step out of big brother's shadow so there is no reason to think SEC would not have a legit shot at say NC State.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=594510.msg9802227#msg9802227
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

GuvHog

Quote from: Svrdhd on August 12, 2015, 06:58:00 am
If Alabama and Auburn were to move to the Eastern Dvision, the West would immediately become an afterthought.

I respectfully disagree. What it would do IMHO is give more parity to the conference. Even without Auburn and Alabama, the west would still have Mizzou, A&M, Oklahoma, LSU, and Arkansas. That's 5 powerful athletic programs and the Mississippi schools haven't exactly been slouches lately nor has Okla State.

GuvHog

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on August 12, 2015, 09:57:29 am
Funny, reads a lot like this, posted days ago (and uses the same graphic). Although the author of this thread used more numbers/stats and better teams.  The AC that wrote the UGA piece lost all credibility by suggesting ECU.  A&M already showed how lucrative it can be to step out of big brother's shadow so there is no reason to think SEC would not have a legit shot at say NC State.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=594510.msg9802227#msg9802227

Getting NC State would be far too expensive for both the SEC and NC State. I don't see the SEC going after an ACC team.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: NuttinItUp on August 11, 2015, 11:16:59 pm
ECU should never be admitted to the SEC.

There are 10-20 teams that should be invited ahead of them.

Sure there are some that should be considered before them. However you start at the top of the list and work your way down. IF you can't convince someone higher on the list then you consider taking them. They have as much potential if they move up as quite a few others down the list. It is about getting into the middle Atlantic states markets with their large population.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hoggard on August 12, 2015, 12:46:36 am

Perhaps we could get two ACC schools but some things would have to change first.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Svrdhd on August 12, 2015, 06:58:00 am

That would depend on which teams replaced them in the west.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 12, 2015, 07:27:22 am
If the writer is merely looking to find a footprint in N. Carolina, why not North Carolina A&T or Appalachian State? I'm kidding obviously, but it might make the SEC look somewhat desperate to invite the likes of E. Carolina. I think that would be a bit of a stretch. Is that the best that the SEC can do for the East Division and the conference as a whole?

As for the West side, I know it has been stated repeatedly but I don't think you are going to see Oklahoma being allowed (state politics) to leave Oklahoma State behind holding the bag. Oklahoma's departure wouldn't have to change their annual grudge match with Texas in Dallas each year, but that departure would probably end the annual Bedlam Game with Okla State and within Oklahoma that is a pretty big and important game each year. If Oklahoma brought Oklahoma State with them to the SEC, they could keep both of these games in their scheduling and state politics would likely approve such a move.

SEC politics maybe > Oklahoma politics. If true and I'd bet it is since there are a lot more people and states involved, then OU could be left outside looking in if the SEC tries to expand again. That being said I'd bet OU would make the move IF they they could.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 12, 2015, 08:03:17 am
They bring nothing.  As does NC St.   

Never spent much time in NC have you.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: UAfanatic on August 12, 2015, 07:28:48 am

Ugh.

That was a bit out there in left field wasn't it.........................

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on August 12, 2015, 07:06:51 am
I did care.  That was a nailbiter.

EFBAB

No kidding! Thank goodness for us their kicker had his worse game ever! I do feel sorry for him though.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on August 12, 2015, 09:17:21 am
That line is getting closer and closer to putting us back in the Big 12.

Back in? We never were in the big12.............................

WoooPigAR

In a perfect world, the SEC should expand to 20.

Additions: Kansas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., Texas, North Carolina, Virginia Tech

West
Arkansas
LSU
Kansas
Missouri
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St.
Texas
Texas A&M
Ole Miss
Mississippi St.

East
Alabama
Auburn
Kentucky
Florida
Georgia
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
Virginia Tech
North Carolina
South Carolina

Football: Play 9 conference games, no divisional cross-overs. Two division winners play in SEC Championship Game (true champion). This model avoids cross-over complainers; ie, LSU played Florida while Texas A&M played Vanderbilt. To create additional games, SEC could slate 2E vs. 2W, 3E vs. 3W, etc. These games would be played campuses. Odd years at East teams, Even years at West teams.

Basketball: Play 18 conference games, home and homes with divisional teams. SEC Tournament is 16 teams. 1E vs. 8W, 1W vs. 8E, etc.

Baseball: Similar to basketball, except for 3 game series.

If North Carolina and Virginia Tech don't want to play. Then I'd have Florida St., Georgia Tech, NC State and Clemson on deck.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 12, 2015, 09:32:25 am
Oklahoma State is at least solid in football, occasionally much better than solid.  They have a history of success in both basketball and baseball if that matters to anyone.  They have upgraded their facilities.  Just do it.

Don't forget golf and wrassling...........of course they spell wrasslin different so they might not qualify for the SEC.........  ;D