Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Freshman Class

Started by ShadowHawg, November 12, 2017, 11:19:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowHawg

Rankings aside, this is looking like a great class even if Garland can't go.

Gabe contributing already has been surprising to say the least. Gafford will be very good as soon as the game slows down a little more for him so he stays out of foul trouble. Hall is supremely athletic.

I can't get over how aggressive all three have been. This class will be big as they move through the program.

Lanny

Don't expect Garland to play
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

HawgHeadCheese

Mr. Barnett (rbarnet424)

the most impressive thing to me so far besides their early contribution is how the team looks when they are out there Gafford, Gabe, Hall, CJ and one of the Guard (macon, barford or beard) the team looks really long i don't recall it looking like that in quite a while. They also look like any or all  of them are ready to jump out of the Gym if given the chance.

PanamaHOG
Representing the Razorbacks down in PTY

The_Iceman

These freshmen, specifically Gabe and Hall, won't look as effective when they play against teams with decent athleticism.

Garland is a huge loss for us. We need his depth in the backcourt. Right now, it's basically just CJ Jones backing up the guard. Hall is more of a 3, or small 4. Can't play 1 or 2.

Pinto

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 13, 2017, 08:16:45 am
These freshmen, specifically Gabe and Hall, won't look as effective when they play against teams with decent athleticism.

Garland is a huge loss for us. We need his depth in the backcourt. Right now, it's basically just CJ Jones backing up the guard. Hall is more of a 3, or small 4. Can't play 1 or 2.

The first part may be correct about Gabe but i disagree about Dayday. Yes, the athleticism will even out but his best trait is his high motor and tenacity. Not many players are going to match his athleticism, length AND work ethic

The_Iceman

Quote from: Pinto on November 13, 2017, 08:20:07 am
The first part may be correct about Gabe but i disagree about Dayday. Yes, the athleticism will even out but his best trait is his high motor and tenacity. Not many players are going to match his athleticism, length AND work ethic

Yes they can. Just look around the SEC. Size, length, and athleticism everywhere. If he can't learn to score further than 5 feet from the basket, he will be easily guardable by the wings in the SEC.

jchill

Quote from: Lanny on November 13, 2017, 07:11:45 am
Don't expect Garland to play

I have a feeling you are correct, but I hope there's a small chance that you are not. It will be such a downer. I cannot imagine how the young man feels. His dream may be taken from him.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 13, 2017, 08:36:43 am
Yes they can. Just look around the SEC. Size, length, and athleticism everywhere. If he can't learn to score further than 5 feet from the basket, he will be easily guardable by the wings in the SEC.

Hall won't be asked to score much this year.  He's only scored 6 and 3 pts so far this year... I'm not sure what you think you've seen.   Why wouldn't he continue to impact the press with his length and scrap around for rebounds?

Once we actually have a 4 play again, I think you'll see a bigger lineup able to spell the guards a bit more. 

NWAHog479

IMO Hall is already ahead of where Michael Qualls was at this point. Hall was giving Cox hell last night and he is one of the best players in the country. He does not have to score to have an impact on the game and that kind of stuff doesn't show up in the box score. He'll play a lot of minutes this year.

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 13, 2017, 08:36:43 am
I disagree outside of teams like Kentucky, Missouri, Florida, and maybe Auburn there isn't many players that will match up size and athleticism with Hall at the 3. You just don't see many 6'6" 6'7" wing players in college that have athleticism as well. Not to mention his wingspan

HawgHeadCheese

Hawg Red

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on November 13, 2017, 09:19:15 am
Why do you say that

That's what a lot of people are saying. I hope it isn't true, but that does seem to be the expectation for some people "in the know." I believe are awaiting the results of a test that will be conducted in early December that will determine if his current treatment plan is working.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 13, 2017, 08:16:45 am

Having 3 senior guards will be big time if Garland is not able to go. I'm still holding I hope that Garland will play basketball at the U of A. I know Mike is going to make the right call. If there is even a chance of something going wrong, Anderson should not put the kid at risk.

b_stackhouse

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 13, 2017, 09:57:38 am
Having 3 senior guards will be big time if Garland is not able to go. I'm still holding I hope that Garland will play basketball at the U of A. I know Mike is going to make the right call. If there is even a chance of something going wrong, Anderson should not put the kid at risk.

While I agree Anderson would never put a kid at risk, this is out of Anderson's hands. The kid isn't cleared medically. Until he is, he can't play even if MA wanted him to.

Big Nasty 34

I've been most surprised by Gabe. I honestly thought he'd look like a more athletic version of Hazen, lost and not ready to contribute much. However, Gabe can definitely contribute a few minutes defensively and doesn't stall the offense either. Looks like a great prospect!

jchill

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on November 13, 2017, 10:20:54 am
I've been most surprised by Gabe. I honestly thought he'd look like a more athletic version of Hazen, lost and not ready to contribute much. However, Gabe can definitely contribute a few minutes defensively and doesn't stall the offense either. Looks like a great prospect!

Thanks, I was trying to think of the kid that transferred after the season. It's a shame, I really had high hopes for the young man. Even though he did not play much, from what I saw he could have made an impact on this team. Look at Trey Thompson, Manny, and Dusty Hannahs. They did not set the world on fire in their first year, but they were major contributors by the time their careers ended.

hawgball40

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on November 13, 2017, 09:17:04 am
I disagree outside of teams like Kentucky, Missouri, Florida, and maybe Auburn there isn't many players that will match up size and athleticism with Hall at the 3. You just don't see many 6'6" 6'7" wing players in college that have athleticism as well. Not to mention his wingspan
you can add A&M, Bama and Georgia, and Vanderbilt to that list. A&M has Hogg and Williams and a bevvy of other long wings. Bama has several long wings. Georgia has maten who is 6'4 but can guard nearly anyone. Vanderbilt has i think roberson who is 6'6 and a very good defender.

hawgball40

Quote from: The ColonelHog on November 13, 2017, 11:01:47 am
I don't know what he's seeing either!  I've watched just about every SEC team play so far and I couldn't determine ONE, including UK that looked longer and more athletic than us.  Even though we are short handed, the way CMA uses his roster hasn't led to scoring droughts like years past.  Even as short handed as we are right now, we have more depth and less drop off than any of the teams I have seen.  What I love most so far is how high above the rim the entire team plays and the intensity on D!  We are still a little slow on rotations but imagine how much improved it will be when conference play starts!  Teams definately won't be shooting over the top of this team!  WPS!
Our starting lineup is still geared towards small ball. That's the only thing that scares me. There may be games where it makes sense to start some of the freshman, and i hope they are ready when the time comes.

The_Iceman

Quote from: The ColonelHog on November 13, 2017, 11:01:47 am
I don't know what he's seeing either!  I've watched just about every SEC team play so far and I couldn't determine ONE, including UK that looked longer and more athletic than us.  Even though we are short handed, the way CMA uses his roster hasn't led to scoring droughts like years past.  Even as short handed as we are right now, we have more depth and less drop off than any of the teams I have seen.  What I love most so far is how high above the rim the entire team plays and the intensity on D!  We are still a little slow on rotations but imagine how much improved it will be when conference play starts!  Teams definately won't be shooting over the top of this team!  WPS!

I'm not saying Gabe or Hall aren't going to be good players. But they will see their production level decrease as the athleticism of the opponents increases. Gafford is an elite talent regardless of competition. They won't be able to overwhelm on pure athleticism against SEC competition. They both need to develop the rest of their skills.

RaisinHog

Quote from: jchill on November 13, 2017, 10:52:56 am

Thanks, I was trying to think of the kid that transferred after the season. It's a shame, I really had high hopes for the young man. Even though he did not play much, from what I saw he could have made an impact on this team. Look at Trey Thompson, Manny, and Dusty Hannahs. They did not set the world on fire in their first year, but they were major contributors by the time their careers ended.

Hannah's was good from day one at Ar.. this kid is way more athletic than any of the other cats ... U mentioned

Cinco de Hogo

November 13, 2017, 12:05:05 pm #22 Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 12:33:55 pm by Cinco de Hogo
Three relatively short ones and twos are putting in a lot of minutes.  They will be the mainstays throughput this season.  Now next year with a years experience yes we will be one of the taller SEC teams, maybe.  This year however it certainly depends on young players developing pretty fast.  Hall looks great but it's unlikely his shot will develop this year.  Gabe looks good to go in relief at any time.  Lots of positive but I don't think right now you could call us a "long" team at the one, two, and three.

chubrick

So what do we have coming in next year to replace all the points we are going to lose after this year?  I haven't kept tabs on our next class.  Thanks guys

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: chubrick on November 13, 2017, 12:32:52 pm
So what do we have coming in next year to replace all the points we are going to lose after this year?  I haven't kept tabs on our next class.  Thanks guys
6 really good players that will be 3-4 year guys
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: chubrick on November 13, 2017, 12:32:52 pm

Yes expect a little bit of a rebounding year next year. 

niels_boar

La Tech has a center Joniah White that missed a year due to heart issues.  He was back on the floor last year and is starting this season.  I have no idea if his issues have anything in common with Garland's, but heart abnormalities aren't necessarily career ending.  Of course, Garland should err on the side of safety in terms of his basketball career.  He can use the medical hardship scholarship and the resulting degree to have a very successful professional life without basketball.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: hawgball40 on November 13, 2017, 11:03:35 am
you can add A&M, Bama and Georgia, and Vanderbilt to that list. A&M has Hogg and Williams and a bevvy of other long wings. Bama has several long wings. Georgia has maten who is 6'4 but can guard nearly anyone. Vanderbilt has i think roberson who is 6'6 and a very good defender.
Hogg although 6'7" isn't athletic he can barely dunk. Georgia uses more of a 3 guard lineup Mate plays the 4. No one on Vanderbilt's roster is nowhere near as long and athletic as Hall. Bama does have a pretty athletic wing but he is 6'5".