Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Samford

Started by Sho Nuff, November 10, 2017, 01:43:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bigred223

alohawg

Phew, close call tonight. Some of you are geniuses.  ;D
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

hawginbigd1

Whew glad we squeaked by against that Samford juggernaut  ;D

Marshfieldhog

Quote from: ADavisTheGOAT on November 10, 2017, 01:53:12 pm
We're going to be 0-2 after Sunday.

Dude, you've watched too much of our football season.

HogFoo

i am hoping that some of you were using reverse psychology here when you were making your projections!   But, I am afraid that you guys weren't!! :puke:

We have a great team.  And they did tonight what I expected them too.  Well, I will say, I had no doubt that they would win this game, I had no idea that we would blow their doors off!  I figured we'd win by 15pts.  but to win the way we did, wow, that was unexpected.  I figured they'd look this way around mid season, or later in the season, I figured we'd have some close games early due to our tough schedule, but my goodness, this was an epic route of a very experienced team that returned all their starters.    it never looked in doubt.  ever.  I can only see this team getting better.  wait until we add cook, Thomas, and hopefully, Lord willing, Garland.  damn, if we can add those guys into the mix, this is going to be a very big step forward for our program getting back to where we want it.  I was telling everyone I knew that I figured this team would be at no worse than a sweet 16 and probably be an elite 8 team with a chance of making it to final four.    Anyways.  I'm gonna wait to see  how we do against Bucknell.  I was already excited about this team and they performed and exceeded my early expectations.  I believe some of you may need to reevaluate your projections for this team after we come out sunday and destroy Bucknell in a similar fashion!  WPS!
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Hawg Red

Peanut gallery (only showing up to hassle someone for being wrong) is out early this season. Don't be bashful about your thoughts on Sunday's game, fellas. We must have missed your insights on this game somehow. I pegged Bucknell as a loss monthes ago and provided logic as to how I came to that prediction. It's not as easy as sitting back and not saying sh-t and then showing up to mock people who actually did give their thoughts prior to a game if they're wrong, but it's out there. Tonight's game definitely has me believing Bucknell won't catch us, and I'm sure there will be several of you who had nothing to say until the game is over that will let me hear about if/when the Hogs win.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 10, 2017, 09:27:04 pm
Peanut gallery (only showing up to hassle someone for being wrong) is out early this season. Don't be bashful about your thoughts on Sunday's game, fellas. We must have missed your insights on this game somehow. I pegged Bucknell as a loss monthes ago and provided logic as to how I came to that prediction. It's not as easy as sitting back and not saying sh-t and then showing up to mock people who actually did give their thoughts prior to a game if they're wrong, but it's out there. Tonight's game definitely has me believing Bucknell won't catch us, and I'm sure there will be several of you who had nothing to say until the game is over that will let me hear about if/when the Hogs win.

Im not sure what kind of logic you could have used seeing as how nobody had seen either team play one minute of basketball.

Be happy the hogs won.

Good night.

hobhog

Quote from: bjeffersonhog on November 10, 2017, 03:53:16 pm
If I was in Vegas I would take Samford and the points. Hogs by 8 at the most imo

PonderinHog

You never know until you know, and then it's too late.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on November 10, 2017, 09:30:14 pm
Im not sure what kind of logic you could have used seeing as how nobody had seen either team play one minute of basketball.

Be happy the hogs won.

Good night.

If you aren't sure, best to probably just not say anything because you aren't going to have anything to contribute if you can't formulate a rational thought without seeing the teams play first.

hobhog

So....you predicted a Bucknell loss but are saying if your wrong you won't really be wrong because you gave good reasons why we'd lose?

SPAL

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 10, 2017, 01:45:31 pm
I think it's likely that we drop this game. Our group is young an inexperienced and may take some time to gel.

SPAL

SPAL

Quote from: bjeffersonhog on November 10, 2017, 03:53:16 pm
If I was in Vegas I would take Samford and the points. Hogs by 8 at the most imo

PonderinHog

We're gonna win bigly!  (And you can quote me on this.)

Hawg Red

Quote from: hobhog on November 10, 2017, 09:47:02 pm
So....you predicted a Bucknell loss but are saying if your wrong you won't really be wrong because you gave good reasons why we'd lose?

Try again.

I'm saying it's annoying when posters won't give their thoughts on a game until it's over and they're making fun of someone who had the guts to give their thoughts without knowing the result. This board is light on pre-game analysis and heavy on post-game "I told ya so" and "hahaha you were wrong, dummy." I'm calling on folks to quit being cowards who show up to rub posters' faces in it who actually put their thoughts out there and participate in the discussion.

Little Lady Back

Projected to win their conference and bring back their top 6 players (or something like that). We have a short bench tonight. Combine these factors and we just need to get a win here. This isn't a cupcake.

Quote from: Little Lady Back on November 10, 2017, 03:41:26 pm
I agree with you. This may very well be a tough one tonight.

Damn glad that I was wrong. Way to go Hogs WPS!!
#NolanRichardsonCourt

SPAL

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 10, 2017, 09:53:18 pm
Try again.

I'm saying it's annoying when posters won't give their thoughts on a game until it's over and they're making fun of someone who had the guts to give their thoughts without knowing the result. This board is light on pre-game analysis and heavy on post-game "I told ya so" and "hahaha you were wrong, dummy." I'm calling on folks to quit being cowards who show up to rub posters' faces in it who actually put their thoughts out there and participate in the discussion.

Posting a teams weakness and saying they may struggle against a decent Samford team is not the same as saying I guarantee the hogs will be 0-2 on Monday. People who post guarantees should be blasted.

hobhog

Try again.

No worries. It's all good dude. Hogs won a game they should have and looked good doing it. I think they win Sunday as they should against BUCKNELL.

Will be challenged later against a good OOC schedule, but loses at home to lower level programs should not be expected or predicted.

WPS

Hawg Red

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on November 10, 2017, 09:59:54 pm
Posting a teams weakness and saying they may struggle against a decent Samford team is not the same as saying I guarantee the hogs will be 0-2 on Monday. People who post guarantees should be blasted.

Okay, sure. (Not really what I'm talking about, but I'll humor you.)

How come only one person said something to that person before the game started??? That's my point. Got a problem, stand up and call it out before the game is played. Don't come back after the game starts and we're up 30 and pull this crap about blast worthy guarantees when nothing was said before tipoff.

azhog10

A loss to Samford was possible based off the talk around Samford and those in alabama. That said it was clear Macon and Barford would take a bigger role and honesty that's all it took. Those two were dynamite and Bailey stepped up to provide a nice inside punch. Bench overall played better and provided more scoring than the exhibition games.

Hogs49ers

Quote from: HogFoo on November 10, 2017, 09:18:22 pm
i am hoping that some of you were using reverse psychology here when you were making your projections!   But, I am afraid that you guys weren't!! :puke:

We have a great team.  And they did tonight what I expected them too.  Well, I will say, I had no doubt that they would win this game, I had no idea that we would blow their doors off!  I figured we'd win by 15pts.  but to win the way we did, wow, that was unexpected.  I figured they'd look this way around mid season, or later in the season, I figured we'd have some close games early due to our tough schedule, but my goodness, this was an epic route of a very experienced team that returned all their starters.    it never looked in doubt.  ever.  I can only see this team getting better.  wait until we add cook, Thomas, and hopefully, Lord willing, Garland.  damn, if we can add those guys into the mix, this is going to be a very big step forward for our program getting back to where we want it.  I was telling everyone I knew that I figured this team would be at no worse than a sweet 16 and probably be an elite 8 team with a chance of making it to final four.    Anyways.  I'm gonna wait to see  how we do against Bucknell.  I was already excited about this team and they performed and exceeded my early expectations.  I believe some of you may need to reevaluate your projections for this team after we come out sunday and destroy Bucknell in a similar fashion!  WPS!

Shi.t! Please take all that back, I think you just jinxed us and we are going to now head in a terrible direction!  I remember seeing you post very similar things about the football team right before the season started haha

But seriously, I like the optimism! Carry on HooFoo!  Woo Pig
SCREW Vandy!

kaptainkory

chanhog1996

Quote from: ADavisTheGOAT on November 10, 2017, 01:53:12 pm
We're going to be 0-2 after Sunday.
HAHAHAHAHAHA. This. is. hilarious

Hawg Red

Quote from: azhog10 on November 10, 2017, 10:06:02 pm
A loss to Samford was possible based off the talk around Samford and those in alabama. That said it was clear Macon and Barford would take a bigger role and honesty that's all it took. Those two were dynamite and Bailey stepped up to provide a nice inside punch. Bench overall played better and provided more scoring than the exhibition games.

People can often times put too much thought into exhibition performances. It's my opinion that the major program teams give exhibition effort while the lower program teams give championship effort. Or something to that effect, maybe somewhere closer to the middle. We saw tonight when the game was "real" that the everything went up a couple notches.

SPAL

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 10, 2017, 10:05:52 pm
Okay, sure. (Not really what I'm talking about, but I'll humor you.)

How come only one person said something to that person before the game started??? That's my point. Got a problem, stand up and call it out before the game is played. Don't come back after the game starts and we're up 30 and pull this crap about blast worthy guarantees when nothing was said before tipoff.

Well my excuse is that I don't live here so I didn't see it. I can't speak for others. I was hoping there would be more chatter about the game tonight so I came here and and opened up the thread and right out if the gate was that nonsense. This board has a history of becoming a cess pool, so when somebody posts blatant stupidity intending to get a rise out if people.....they should be called in it. That's all I'm saying.

I respect your opinion but you're not gonna say anything unless you provide facts and logic. You're a good posters and probably a pretty good dude. So I'm surprised you're taking up for that stuff.

hog of steele

CMA just did a nice job getting our guys ready. The season is long. We will lose at some point.

Hard to put your thoughts out there boldly for this reason. Sometimes you have to eat a little crow. But when you win games like this, the crow isn't to bad.  I can't fault a guy for being confident about his opinion.

Hogs49ers

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on November 10, 2017, 10:22:44 pm
Well my excuse is that I don't live here so I didn't see it. I can't speak for others. I was hoping there would be more chatter about the game tonight so I came here and and opened up the thread and right out if the gate was that nonsense. This board has a history of becoming a cess pool, so when somebody posts blatant stupidity intending to get a rise out if people.....they should be called in it. That's all I'm saying.

I respect your opinion but you're not gonna say anything unless you provide facts and logic. You're a good posters and probably a pretty good dude. So I'm surprised you're taking up for that stuff.

Good to see you again SPAL and completely agree!  I am super excited about this basketball team, but from a discussion and forum standpoint I can't wait until baseball season and look forward to some good conversation with you over in EI.
SCREW Vandy!

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: ModestoHOG63 on November 10, 2017, 02:25:10 pm
I think there was a show called Samford and son.    But I didn't realize he had a team.   ;)
Samford.

That's S-A-M-F-O-R-D. Period.

Hawg Red

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on November 10, 2017, 10:22:44 pm

I'm not taking up for that poster at all. It's not about any one person and what they posted. But I know some of these come-back posters were posting in other threads while this one was active before gameday. They saw this, saw his and other comments, said nothing. Then they came back when the game was out of reach and started talking crap. I don't have a problem with calling folks out for anything. But I also can't stand when people only let their opinions be known on such comments after the fact. It'll get worse later in the season when these cowards go dig up threads from like August to try to clown someone on.

Carl Lazlo

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 10, 2017, 01:45:31 pm
I think it's likely that we drop this game. Our group is young an inexperienced and may take some time to gel.

Turd sammich

Nosboar Accubond

Quote from: bjeffersonhog on November 10, 2017, 07:53:12 pm
Shooting 60% from the field and over 50% from 3. They are playing lights out right now.
Defense was on point...

Breems

Key words.

The majority are hassling a post that said "we'll be 0-2 after this Sunday." Without context/logic/reasoning, it was unsurprisingly construed as a Negative Nancy post. I don't think anyone's making fun of the posters who said "it will be a tough game" or "we could lose because..."

Not everyone is going to offer their predictions on these games because 90% of the board would look at the team name and predict a comfortable Arkansas win.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

azhog10

Quote from: Hawg Red on November 10, 2017, 10:33:50 pm
I'm not taking up for that poster at all. It's not about any one person and what they posted. But I know some of these come-back posters were posting in other threads while this one was active before gameday. They saw this, saw his and other comments, said nothing. Then they came back when the game was out of reach and started talking crap. I don't have a problem with calling folks out for anything. But I also can't stand when people only let their opinions be known on such comments after the fact. It'll get worse later in the season when these cowards go dig up threads from like August to try to clown someone on.
Meh, come on now you just like to argue.

Farmer Hogget

I guess people are just so used to stirring up crap for BB, they wanted to come on here and start the same crap for MA.  Well, the team played that crappy man to man match up and I hope you have no hair left.  The whole team looked good!  It was a total domination!  Glad I went! 

HogFoo

Quote from: Hogs49ers on November 10, 2017, 10:11:46 pm
Shi.t! Please take all that back, I think you just jinxed us and we are going to now head in a terrible direction!  I remember seeing you post very similar things about the football team right before the season started haha

But seriously, I like the optimism! Carry on HooFoo!  Woo Pig
Well, I posted earlier about the basketball season believing that theyd be pretty good.  So, they pretty much confirmed what I believed.  I rehash some of it.  I felt that Gafford and with an improved Thompson would more than make up for the loss of kingsley. I felt and feel that Macon and Barford would be awesome!  normally, juco's are hit or miss.  either they step right in and continue at the normal fashion as they did when they were top 4 juco's in America, or they do like Cook did.  Thankfully, Barford and Macon came in hot  last season, and I figured theyd come in even hotter this season.  The biggest worry for me was who would make up for the 3's we'd miss with Hannahs being gone.  I was hoping that Macon/barford would be so much better that they'd take up most of the slack themselves, and it looks like they have.   I figured Adrio Bailey would make a big step and improve on his breakout at the end of the season.  And, I figured CJ was going to be the X factor.  If he could do anything, it would just make us that much better.  I was also hoping that Thomas and Cook would have been playing by now, I was sort of counting on Cook to have a break out season as compared to his lackluster one last season.  I also figured that we'd get some help from Hall and Garland.  We may get it from Hall.  i'm worried that Garland may not ever be a Hog.  which is sad.  But, anyways.  my predictions for the team were that we'd lose some early, until the team gelled, and then come mid season we'd just go on a big long win streak that would take us all the way to having 2 wins in sec conf, and getting a 4 or a 5 seed in the tourney.  I predicted around 26 -27wins.  and a possible elite 8 win with a chance to go to final 4.    I really believe this team is going to be great.  have heard lots about it in the off season.     Tonight just proves to me they are further ahead than I thought, and the addition of Thomas, cook, and Garland? will just make us that much better.   

Football... who would have guessed we lose RWlll, starting QB, best CB, best OL, best WR, then the next best RB, etc..etc..  I really hate even talking about the football team.  We made a mistake when we hired Anderson, and it will cost Bielema his job.  You don't have an OLine, you don't have anything in this type of offense.  most important position on the entire football team and we hire a complete unknown.  anyways, that's enough about that.  don't want to bring that negative dumpster fire bad luck over here to this team.

Who cares who was right or wrong.  everyone just needs to be happy the Hogs have won and it looks like a team that is better than what some of you guys were thinking.  Be happy that you were wrong and you have a team you can get behind and enjoy watching grow and get even better as the year progresses! 
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hog of steele on November 10, 2017, 10:23:10 pm
CMA just did a nice job getting our guys ready. The season is long. We will lose at some point.

Hard to put your thoughts out there boldly for this reason. Sometimes you have to eat a little crow. But when you win games like this, the crow isn't to bad.  I can't fault a guy for being confident about his opinion.

I can fault stupid overconfidence. That's easy.
[CENSORED]!

Hogs49ers

Quote from: HogFoo on November 10, 2017, 10:58:17 pm
Well, I posted earlier about the basketball season believing that theyd be pretty good.  So, they pretty much confirmed what I believed.  I rehash some of it.  I felt that Gafford and with an improved Thompson would more than make up for the loss of kingsley. I felt and feel that Macon and Barford would be awesome!  normally, juco's are hit or miss.  either they step right in and continue at the normal fashion as they did when they were top 4 juco's in America, or they do like Cook did.  Thankfully, Barford and Macon came in hot  last season, and I figured theyd come in even hotter this season.  The biggest worry for me was who would make up for the 3's we'd miss with Hannahs being gone.  I was hoping that Macon/barford would be so much better that they'd take up most of the slack themselves, and it looks like they have.   I figured Adrio Bailey would make a big step and improve on his breakout at the end of the season.  And, I figured CJ was going to be the X factor.  If he could do anything, it would just make us that much better.  I was also hoping that Thomas and Cook would have been playing by now, I was sort of counting on Cook to have a break out season as compared to his lackluster one last season.  I also figured that we'd get some help from Hall and Garland.  We may get it from Hall.  i'm worried that Garland may not ever be a Hog.  which is sad.  But, anyways.  my predictions for the team were that we'd lose some early, until the team gelled, and then come mid season we'd just go on a big long win streak that would take us all the way to having 2 wins in sec conf, and getting a 4 or a 5 seed in the tourney.  I predicted around 26 -27wins.  and a possible elite 8 win with a chance to go to final 4.    I really believe this team is going to be great.  have heard lots about it in the off season.     Tonight just proves to me they are further ahead than I thought, and the addition of Thomas, cook, and Garland? will just make us that much better.   

Football... who would have guessed we lose RWlll, starting QB, best CB, best OL, best WR, then the next best RB, etc..etc..  I really hate even talking about the football team.  We made a mistake when we hired Anderson, and it will cost Bielema his job.  You don't have an OLine, you don't have anything in this type of offense.  most important position on the entire football team and we hire a complete unknown.  anyways, that's enough about that.  don't want to bring that negative dumpster fire bad luck over here to this team.

Who cares who was right or wrong.  everyone just needs to be happy the Hogs have won and it looks like a team that is better than what some of you guys were thinking.  Be happy that you were wrong and you have a team you can get behind and enjoy watching grow and get even better as the year progresses!

I was not wrong, I also thought we were going to be extremely good this year.  I was just messing with ya man, like I said, I like seeing the optimism.
SCREW Vandy!

HogFoo

Quote from: Hogs49ers on November 11, 2017, 12:59:06 am
I was not wrong, I also thought we were going to be extremely good this year.  I was just messing with ya man, like I said, I like seeing the optimism.
no worries man.  I'm just glad it seems that our BBall team, and most of our other programs are all headed in the right direction.  Hopefully soon football will be as well! 

WorfHog

I don't have to post a prediction that the Hog's are going to beat Samford. I expect that they'll beat Samford in the season opener and I expect that they'll beat Bucknell tomorrow night.

Coming on Hogville and posting nonsense about us being 0-2 after this weekend is just an attempt to stir the pot. They have an agenda. The agenda isn't to support this team and the ridicule they receive is deserved.

WOO PIG SOOIE! It's going to be a damn fun season!

ShadowHawg

Try again.

The people catching heat from this are haters for the most part not serious basketball junkies who were off with their analysis.

The more we win the less we will see of that kind of crap and the "eat crow" posts will follow suit.

Relax

niels_boar

November 11, 2017, 04:59:58 pm #91 Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 05:15:51 pm by niels_boar
Those who believe that was supposed to happen don't know what you are talking about and aren't giving this team due credit for a truly outstanding performance.  Essentially this same Samford team led at half against 30-win Cincy last year and were down by 5 at half against 26-win FSU.  Both those teams advanced in the NCAA tournament to the round of 32.  Pomeroy projected Samford at about #110 overall to begin the season and in the top-80 in offensive efficiency, better than many SEC teams.  It's not a complete shock any more to see a mid-major with that ranking pull off an upset in the NCAAT against a top-half seed. Our D completely locking them down based on our recent history and the quality of the opponent not only seemed unlikely but was arguably infeasible.  Trouncing Samford moved us up double-digit spots in Pomeroy.  You don't move up double-digits by just winning the way you are supposed to win.

A reasonable pre-game grading curve, considering the new and absent faces, was:

Any loss - concerning
1-point win - satisfactory. survive and advance.
10-pt+ win - extremely encouraging

Leading by 40 in the second half was just beyond the pale and deep, deep into the tail distribution of any reasonable probability of what was likely to happen based on available information.  For that game to be par for the course either we're much better than we are supposed to be and/or Samford is much worse than they are supposed to be.

The staff deserves mucho credit for having this team ready to defend the way they did in game 1.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: niels_boar on November 11, 2017, 04:59:58 pm
Those who believe that was supposed to happen don't know what you are talking about and aren't giving this team due credit for a truly outstanding performance.  Essentially this same Samford team led at half against 30-win Cincy last year and were down by 5 at half against 26-win FSU.  Both those teams advanced in the NCAA tournament to the round of 32.  Pomeroy projected Samford at about #110 overall to begin the season and in the top-80 in offensive efficiency, better than many SEC teams.  It's not a complete shock any more to see a mid-major with that ranking pull off an upset in the NCAAT against a top-half seed. Our D completely locking them down based on our recent history and the quality of the opponent not only seemed unlikely but was arguably infeasible.  Trouncing Samford moved us up double-digit spots in Pomeroy.  You don't move up double-digits by just winning the way you are supposed to win.

Any loss - concerning

Leading by 40 in the second half was just beyond the pale and deep, deep into the tail distribution of any reasonable probability of what was likely to happen based on available information.  For that game to be par for the course either we're much better than we are supposed to be and/or Samford is much worse than they are supposed to be.

The staff deserves mucho credit for having this team ready to defend the way they did in game 1.

Excellent points all around. I did not think they would look this steady coming out of the gate. Gafford and Hall are only going to get better. Good to be able to see us have such a strong performance while letting the freshmen ease into their roles.
Hogs up! Covid down!

thehill1414

Quote from: niels_boar on November 11, 2017, 04:59:58 pm

Any loss - concerning

Exactly right.

bjeffersonhog

Lol.  Calling me out because I said they would probably win by 8 or less? Guess you knew they were going to win by 30+

rwspear

HogFoo

Quote from: rwspear on November 12, 2017, 07:00:43 pm
sup
Yes this team is a LOT better than some of our esteemed fans dared to think.  I am afraid that expectations were just low due to layover from football being so suck!   But that is fine.  The fans will start to come around and realize that we have a great team and it is going to just keep getting better and deeper when the other players can join.   It's ok, no need to keep rubbing salt in the doubters eyes.  Everyone just needs to sit back and enjoy being a great team.   have fun watching this team grow into a tourney team, and into a sweet 16 team and elite 8 team...and...and..   ;-)  well, not t o  over be confident, but this team is good.  I think that we'll beat the dog out of OU and the UNC game, (if they win)  will probably be the biggest litmus test of how good this team will be.  I look forward t o kicking UNC's ass too!  hehehe

Hogs49ers

Samford beating Alabama A&M by 14 at halftime, not sure if Alabama A&M is any good though...
SCREW Vandy!

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Hogs49ers on November 13, 2017, 08:08:50 pm
Samford beating Alabama A&M by 14 at halftime, not sure if Alabama A&M is any good though...

SWAC

Wisco Pig

Quote from: Hogs49ers on November 13, 2017, 08:08:50 pm

Alabama A&M was 2-27 last season, and had the worst RPI of all 351 teams in Division 1. 

I see that Samford plays at LSU Thursday night.  That might be a more meaningful gauge.