Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Not a bad loss to a 13-1 team

Started by Lanny, January 03, 2018, 07:51:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanny

Arkansas will lose more on the road including this Saturday against Auburn. The officiating generally helps the home team, Arkansas has to overcome the way a game is called.  My biggest concerns are the half court defense is very weak and giving up 3 point shots.  Time to try not to be blown out at Auburn and survive until next week.  Say goodbye to being ranked.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

SemperHawg

We HAVE to get something out of the bench... Speaking of the bench,  I know Gafford is good, but the fall off from him to Trey is quite significant.    We all know Trey is not a world beater, but one would hope in his fourth year he would be good enough that the low post game wouldn't disappear when he is in there.

bkjbearcat

The Not Yet Ready for Prime Time Players. Unfortunately, that's been every Arkansas team under MA.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

Hawg Red

My biggest concern is that Mississippi State really did not look that good to me. They seem like a team with a ceiling of the NIT. Hogs are the only team remotely on the NCAA radar that they've beaten. Not a particularly high-scoring team, though they are solid defensively. The older Weatherspoon is one of the best in the league. Maybe I'm selling them short, but this one feels like one we let get away rather than just a tough loss on the road to a good team. No choice but to root for State to get some SEC wins now.

HogCzar1

MSU is not a team in the top half of the SEC.

Kevin

it is a bad loss.  sugar coated all you want, no defense, no rebounding, and played soft on offense
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Cotton

If we don't have 3 bad possessions in a row to close the game we win and everybody would be talking about how we grinded out a good road SEC win.

Unfortunately we didn't, but it's not the end of the world.  Look at the rest of the league. TAMU and Tenner both lost too.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

cram224

Half court offense dribble, dribble shoot.

Pinto

It will be a bad loss if we're on the bubble. Miss St is horrible and won't win more than 5 SEC games

popcornhog

Quote from: Lanny on January 03, 2018, 07:51:19 am
Arkansas will lose more on the road including this Saturday against Auburn. The officiating generally helps the home team, Arkansas has to overcome the way a game is called.  My biggest concerns are the half court defense is very weak and giving up 3 point shots.  Time to try not to be blown out at Auburn and survive until next week.  Say goodbye to being ranked.

My biggest concern is giving up so many offensive rebounds last night.

I do think 5-4 on the road is a reasonable goal and 7-2 or 8-1 at home. 4-5 on the road would be ok.

Either way, to keep pace, the Auburn game is huge, and I believe they're better than State. They're especially good on the glass.

It definitely feels good to be so upset about a loss though. We all care very much and that's a good thing.
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 03, 2018, 08:02:48 am
My biggest concern is that Mississippi State really did not look that good to me. They seem like a team with a ceiling of the NIT. Hogs are the only team remotely on the NCAA radar that they've beaten. Not a particularly high-scoring team, though they are solid defensively. The older Weatherspoon is one of the best in the league. Maybe I'm selling them short, but this one feels like one we let get away rather than just a tough loss on the road to a good team. No choice but to root for State to get some SEC wins now.

Part of that is playing at the Hump though.

Go back and look at all of the good teams that we've had over the years that couldn't win down there.
WPS

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Pinto on January 03, 2018, 08:13:34 am
It will be a bad loss if we're on the bubble. Miss St is horrible and won't win more than 5 SEC games

Mississippi State will be a bubble team come NCAA tournament time. You can count on that .

Cotton

Quote from: popcornhog on January 03, 2018, 08:24:12 am
My biggest concern is giving up so many offensive rebounds last night.

I do think 5-4 on the road is a reasonable goal and 7-2 or 8-1 at home. 4-5 on the road would be ok.

Either way, to keep pace, the Auburn game is huge, and I believe they're better than State. They're especially good on the glass.

It definitely feels good to be so upset about a loss though. We all care very much and that's a good thing.
Agreed. We're upset about losing to a 13-1 team on the road in the SEC. Feels good that we set the bar that high again.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

jkstock04

I agree in the sense of how "bad" of a loss it was. To me Miss State isn't chopped liver exactly. I've seen the Hogs in recent years with much worse road losses than this one.

Don't buy into the theory the refs purposely wanted us to lose. Seems the majority think this. Any time there is a conspiracy...you gotta have a motive. Why would the refs/SEC WANT #22 Arkansas to lose at Mississippi State? To me SEC basketball is more relavant when Arkansas is good. So what is the motive to keep Arkansas down...against Mississippi State? Not like they are a blue blood team that needs protected. Doesn't make sense....comes off as typical sour grapes/homer spin you read on here all the time.

I just think we played a poor game. Be a tough one coming up at Auburn as well. If we can somehow win that one this will be a blip on the radar.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Letsroll1200

I like the match-up against Auburn. We have the size to really get Gafford going against Auburn. Mississippi State made two huge 3 point shots that where well guarded. The older Weatherspoon faded back on his 3 point shot and still knocked it down. The core guys on this team care and they will respond.

Hawg Red

Quote from: popcornhog on January 03, 2018, 08:25:39 am
Part of that is playing at the Hump though.

Go back and look at all of the good teams that we've had over the years that couldn't win down there.

I hear you. Anderson was 2-2 at the Hump while at Arkansas going into last night, and I guess you could say the game played out like that (close but frustrating). I think we bad ourselves (and, yes, the officials did help but we have to expect/accept that on the road). I don't view The Hump has a tougher-than-usual place to play, though their crowd was pretty dead for the most part and that does throw teams off.

CiriusPorker

What lost the game for Arkansas?
inability to make free throws.
poor shot selection..
missing shots that we should have made (layups and short wide open jumpers)
no full court press....

zebradynasty

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 03, 2018, 08:26:39 am
Mississippi State will be a bubble team come NCAA tournament time. You can count on that .

No way! Their weak schedule will kill them plus...they are not that good. I know they beat us but really nothing about them makes me think they'll be in the tourney.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: zebradynasty on January 03, 2018, 08:55:19 am
No way! Their weak schedule will kill them plus...they are not that good. I know they beat us but really nothing about them makes me think they'll be in the tourney.

They may have a weak schedule but ESPN will talk MSU cause of Howland

NEA_HogFan

Quote from: CiriusPorker on January 03, 2018, 08:35:58 am
What lost the game for Arkansas?
inability to make free throws.
poor shot selection..
missing shots that we should have made (layups and short wide open jumpers)
no full court press....

We shot 51% from 2 and 40% from 3. Those are good numbers. MSU shot 41% from 2 and 19% from 3. Our problem wasn't shot selection or missing shots.

Letsroll1200

I think their guard play could give them a chance to make a push.

Atlhogfan1

Next up Pearl Ball  :puke:

Not sure which is worse:  watching Pearl Ball or Rod Barnes rugby basketball.

AU is 29th in college basketball at 24.2 FTA a game and they shot 29 on the road last night.  Actually down from last season when they were #2 in college bask at 27 per game.  Bama, UK and Uga rank ahead of them so far this season.  So what happened last night with an opponent getting 40 FTA's may come close to happening again.  At least we don't go to Rupp.  It's what some teams in this conference try and do and we foul more frequently than most any other power conference team except Tenn. 

Last trip to AU wasn't too bad.  They were 12-23 from the line and Hogs 16-20.

In a 90-86 loss two seasons ago, AU 19-30 from the line Hogs 9-19.

In 2014-15 at AU, AU shot 40 FTA's Hogs 25. 

AU has combined for 80+ FTA's in a game under Pearl. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Springfield_MO_Razorback

"Not a bad loss to a 13-1 team" Although our overall performance was dismal on the night. I have to agree with you, especially looking at the overall scope of the SEC. Think about the four SEC games last night. I don't know what everyone else though but out of those four games the teams that won, were teams I thought would lose. I figured Tenn would bounce back at home, aTm would be fine at home against a slumped Gator team, Alabama would handle a forgotten Vandy team and we would get over The Hump. But that wasn't the case. I truly think we are in for a treat this year. This conference is literally wide open for anyone to take. Everyone in the SEC is going to have nights like we had yesterday. It's going to be a dog fight the whole way through for every team and I can't wait.

Last year we started conference play 1-3, finished 12-6 and still ended up in the SEC championship game. We'll be fine!   

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Springfield_MO_Razorback on January 03, 2018, 09:28:01 am
"Not a bad loss to a 13-1 team" Although our overall performance was dismal on the night. I have to agree with you, especially looking at the overall scope of the SEC. Think about the four SEC games last night. I don't know what everyone else though but out of those four games the teams that won, were teams I thought would lose. I figured Tenn would bounce back at home, aTm would be fine at home against a slumped Gator team, Alabama would handle a forgotten Vandy team and we would get over The Hump. But that wasn't the case. I truly think we are in for a treat this year. This conference is literally wide open for anyone to take. Everyone in the SEC is going to have nights like we had yesterday. It's going to be a dog fight the whole way through for every team and I can't wait.

Last year we started conference play 1-3, finished 12-6 and still ended up in the SEC championship game. We'll be fine!

This year's SEC schedule turns tough after the Mizzou home game.  Now I'm basing this on what teams appear to be now and some may end up not being too difficult.

After Mizzou: 7 road games and home games with UK and A&M.   These first two road games should have been two of the "easier" ones on the schedule.  End the season with @Bama who may be on the bubble and playing for the NCAAT, AU at home and @Mizzou who may be on the bubble.  May be a small chance Porter can play by then. 

Need a win Sat and hold homecourt vs LSU and Mizzou. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

orvillesghost

Perhaps it isn't a *bad* loss but its a typical road loss for us.
Arkansas has a lot of talent this year and I think they will probably finish around the same as last year in the league when its all said and done.  Second or third in the league and maybe the round of 32 in the NCAA.

Sadly that is going to be their zenith under MA as has been proven repeatedly in the past.  Good man but we will never win the conference or go far in the NCAA with him. 

Springfield_MO_Razorback

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 03, 2018, 09:35:27 am
This year's SEC schedule turns tough after the Mizzou home game.  Now I'm basing this on what teams appear to be now and some may end up not being too difficult.

After Mizzou: 7 road games and home games with UK and A&M.   These first two road games should have been two of the "easier" ones on the schedule.  End the season with @Bama who may be on the bubble and playing for the NCAAT, AU at home and @Mizzou who may be on the bubble.  May be a small chance Porter can play by then. 

Need a win Sat and hold homecourt vs LSU and Mizzou.

Very true. We are in what we thought would be the light part of the schedule. Top to bottom nobody gets a night off in the conference this year. I forgot Porter Jr could be cleared as soon as Feb. If he comes back and gets in form that could be dangerous!

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 03, 2018, 09:19:23 am
Next up Pearl Ball  :puke:

Not sure which is worse:  watching Pearl Ball or Rod Barnes rugby basketball.

AU is 29th in college basketball at 24.2 FTA a game and they shot 29 on the road last night.  Actually down from last season when they were #2 in college bask at 27 per game.  Bama, UK and Uga rank ahead of them so far this season.  So what happened last night with an opponent getting 40 FTA's may come close to happening again.  At least we don't go to Rupp.  It's what some teams in this conference try and do and we foul more frequently than most any other power conference team except Tenn. 

Last trip to AU wasn't too bad.  They were 12-23 from the line and Hogs 16-20.

In a 90-86 loss two seasons ago, AU 19-30 from the line Hogs 9-19.

In 2014-15 at AU, AU shot 40 FTA's Hogs 25. 

AU has combined for 80+ FTA's in a game under Pearl. 

As was pointed out on the radio this morning, you do not get fouled alot when you are shooting fade aways in the lane or 15ft + jump shots. Even when the Hogs drive to the basket they fade away.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Breems

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 03, 2018, 08:26:39 am

No way. Weak sauce schedule and terrible offense. They're not that good. Might sneak into the NIT.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

popcornhog

They have a lot of wins, no bad losses, and a top 10 RPI win on their resume now.

They're squarely in the top 50.

Very much a tourney team today, despite the weak schedule.
WPS

HamIAm

A&M's loss should not have been a surprise. They were without 3 of their top 4 scorers. Gilder, who averages 12.7 points and 5 rebounds per game has missed the last four games with a knee injury.  Wilson was also out with a knee injury, he averages 12.1 points and 2 rebounds. Leading scorer DJ Hogg averages 14.6 points a game sat out the last game of this 3 game suspension for violating team rules.   No big surprise they lost, not many teams can handle Florida while missing 3 of their starters. 

Miss State has played one road game where they lost by 15 to #25 Cincinnati. Their non-conference strength of schedule is 304 out of 351 according to Warren Nolan.  What would it rank without that road game at Cincinnati?

If Anderson's 7th team that has 6 seniors isn't expected to be ranked, I'm not sure how much better it's going to get.

The_Iceman

I don't worry about things that Arkansas doesn't do well, lile rebounding and 3 point defense. My biggest concern is CJ Jones lack of production and Barford scoring 11 points and going 0-6 from 3pt. We should be able to count on a 3 pointer from each of them each game. If we get that, we win the game. The rest of the stuff (officiating, rebounding, lack of defense) isn't why we lost.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: bkjbearcat on January 03, 2018, 08:01:28 am
The Not Yet Ready for Prime Time Players. Unfortunately, that's been every Arkansas team under MA.
Bingo. And Yahtzee.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

JD Hogg

Arkansas made 5 of 12 free throws, Miss State 24 of 40.  19 point difference.  No way the hogs fouled 15 more times than Miss State.  We only made 2 more 3's than they did.  This game was lost because of foul differential and poor free throw shooting when we had them. 

ballz2thewall

the title to this post needs rearranging and a question mark.

"Not a loss to a bad 13-1 team?"

misstate isn't that good.

we had our foot on their throats several times but our executioner never gave the slash sign.

stats don't show why we lost.
The rest of the frog.

hobhog

Frustrating thing is we finally get things going for fan base with a strong center and 3 senior guards and lay another egg. A win at AU is unlikely but if get it it will right the ship.

If not it will turn us into a bubble team needing wins. Meanwhile coaches in their second year at other schools are turning their programs around and we just plod along. MA needs a strong year as next year will be a rebuild. He appears to be the Jason Garrett of college basketball.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hobhog on January 03, 2018, 10:53:24 am
Frustrating thing is we finally get things going for fan base with a strong center and 3 senior guards and lay another egg. A win at AU is unlikely but if get it it will right the ship.

If not it will turn us into a bubble team needing wins. Meanwhile coaches in their second year at other schools are turning their programs around and we just plod along. MA needs a strong year as next year will be a rebuild. He appears to be the Jason Garrett of college basketball.

All of that based on one 3 point loss at Starkville to a 13-1 team coached by someone who went to 3 straight final fours?

bkjbearcat

Quote from: Karma on January 03, 2018, 10:27:28 am
If Anderson's 7th team that has 6 seniors isn't expected to be ranked, I'm not sure how much better it's going to get.

Maybe MA should be worried there's a new AD at Arkansas.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

HogAllMighty

I disagree, it was a bad loss.  The reason being is their weakness of schedule and their low RPI.

hogsanity

Quote from: bkjbearcat on January 03, 2018, 12:15:19 pm
Maybe MA should be worried there's a new AD at Arkansas.

Hardly. You really think they want to pay out another buyout?

Plus, unless the wheels fall off and the engine catches fire, they will make the ncaat.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

code red

Its the same ole junk with this team as other Anderson teams.  First, we WILL get out rebounded because we are never in a great defensive position under the basket.  Second, we WILL commit "grabby" fouls because we are never in a great defensive position.  That is all.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Quote from: HogAllMighty on January 03, 2018, 12:18:40 pm
I disagree, it was a bad loss.  The reason being is their weakness of schedule and their low RPI.
Yes it was. Agreed. Mississippi State is not a good team.  Yet they had countless offensive rebounds and put backs.  Seemed as though our kids thought they could just out-score them and get a W......wrongo.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

elksnort

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 03, 2018, 10:32:10 am
I don't worry about things that Arkansas doesn't do well, lile rebounding and 3 point defense. My biggest concern is CJ Jones lack of production and Barford scoring 11 points and going 0-6 from 3pt. We should be able to count on a 3 pointer from each of them each game. If we get that, we win the game. The rest of the stuff (officiating, rebounding, lack of defense) isn't why we lost.
Agree. Good post.

HF#1

I hate Mississippi trips in football or basketball. Their facilities suck so bad it makes it difficult to play. On TV it sounded like they had about 1500 people there, maybe? That's a high school crowd. Every game in Mississippi is a trap game, I don't care if they are 1-11 when you play them.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HF#1

I will say that Mike's continued unwillingness to be aggressive on the road is very aggravating. He doesn't dial up the pressure on the road like he does in BWA. I have no clue why. It's maddening.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

cityhog

3 in a row to really bad MSU teams. Remember last year when they blew our doors off at home, and then proceeded to be a bottom feeder? This will turn out to be one of those 'bad losses'.

And yes, it was nice to be ranked again - for a week. It'll take another month for us to claw our way back into the top 25.

HF#1

Quote from: cityhog on January 03, 2018, 01:31:19 pm
3 in a row to really bad MSU teams. Remember last year when they blew our doors off at home, and then proceeded to be a bottom feeder? This will turn out to be one of those 'bad losses'.

And yes, it was nice to be ranked again - for a week. It'll take another month for us to claw our way back into the top 25.

We will stay put at 22 if we beat Auburn.

cityhog

Quote from: HF#1 on January 03, 2018, 01:32:09 pm

I agree, but that is a big ask from this team.

riccoar

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 03, 2018, 08:02:48 am
That's because MSU is not a good team.  Look up their schedule.  They played all patsies and 1 contender leading up to us.  The lone known was their only loss.  Arkansas fan's rail on officiating, but the road calls kept MSU in this game.  That game is in BWA and we win by 20+ without any foul disparity.  The loss hurts us going forward, but now they have to know what to expect on the road and take everything that is given to them.

riccoar

Quote from: HF#1 on January 03, 2018, 01:32:09 pm
Tennessee stayed after our loss, so maybe.