Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How will Arkansas beat South Carolina?

Started by Tarheelhawg, October 01, 2017, 09:01:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarheelhawg

Arkansas may be favored to win by two to three points.  After watching some of the game between A&M and South Carolina, it looks like their passing game can be a strength which matches well for them.  The Carolina defense appears a little stronger overall.  However, Arkansas appears to have a more balanced offense with a better ground game.  If Arkansas can pressure Bentley and contain the receivers (S. Carolina is without their best receiver), a win is v. possible.  A&M sacked Bentley about 6 - 7 times.
What would be the best path to victory?

TomasPistola

Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

LRHawg

Danimal

Tarheelhawg

TNRazorbacker

We'll ride Williams who will be playing with a gigantic chip on his shoulder. Look for the game of his career.

Hawgphat

Maybe the Hogs could make their grand entrance to the field dressed in pink tutus and ballet slippers; it's feasible that South Carolina might die laughing, and be incapacitated long enough for the Hogs to establish a comfortable lead.

It's a shot.

JaketheSnake

Similar game plan to Saturday?  Light pressure and contain, try to make them one dimensional, let them make mistakes.

hawg66

Arkansas needs to run the ball. The Hogs are averaging over 200 ypg rushing and SC is allowing over 200 ypg. Run the ball ball and run the clock. Most of the stats favor Arkansas.  Everyone is complaining but the Hogs are converting 50% of their third downs. Keeping the other team's offense on the sideline is the Hogs best defense. 

Sed76

Gonna have to get some pressure on the QB. That guy yesterday had time to read a book and would usually find a guy open. Rush 3 and let him pick us apart it will be a long day.

HeathWimp

I'll be pretty surprised if we are favored in this game.  Or maybe OP was pulling our legs.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

FineAsSwine

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on October 01, 2017, 09:25:42 pm
We'll ride Williams who will be playing with a gigantic chip on his shoulder. Look for the game of his career.
Hogs up! Covid down!

woodhog14

Quote from: Tarheelhawg on October 01, 2017, 09:01:20 pm
Arkansas may be favored to win by two to three points.  After watching some of the game between A&M and South Carolina, it looks like their passing game can be a strength which matches well for them.  The Carolina defense appears a little stronger overall.  However, Arkansas appears to have a more balanced offense with a better ground game.  If Arkansas can pressure Bentley and contain the receivers (S. Carolina is without their best receiver), a win is v. possible.  A&M sacked Bentley about 6 - 7 times.
What would be the best path to victory?
South Carolina has opened up as a -2.5  favorite.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: HeathWimp on October 01, 2017, 09:30:22 pm
I'll be pretty surprised if we are favored in this game.  Or maybe OP was pulling our legs.
http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/

We are favored by Vegas right now. 

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: LRHawg on October 01, 2017, 09:06:21 pm
hole in one on the 18th.

Most of the 18's I've seen are par 4 minimum. I would like a Triple Eagle ace on # 18 though...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Andrew Hogfan

I hope so
WPS!!!

jst01

Smart play by our back 7 defenders and hogs win. I think the offense can score 30+.

Tarheelhawg

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 01, 2017, 09:26:40 pm
Similar game plan to Saturday?  Light pressure and contain, try to make them one dimensional, let them make mistakes.
Yeah, this is what I was thinking , and agree about Williams running extra hard.  It is a little surprising , but yeah Arkansas is favored by 2.5

Tarheelhawg

A friend of mine is a Gamecock fan; he can't believe that D. Williams has already scored five touchdowns.  He is also feeling that without DEEBO SAMUEL they aren't the same team.  The gamecocks are not overly confident. It is definitely a winnable game. 

SemperFi

Enos needs to insert a true West Coast style offense that will allow AA to get rid of the ball much faster by having the WR's running shorter routes. This will spread out the defense to allow Hayden, Whaley and Williams to have some lanes to run the ball. You take the pressure off of the OL and it saves your QB from getting brutalized by the oppossing defense. We have the TE's to get it done and the Receivers looked solid against NMSU. I like any of our RB's in free space and think that they all have the ability to take it to the house once they get into the 2nd level of the defense. Just dink them to death all the way down the field and keep their offense sitting on the sideline.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

Tarheelhawg

Quote from: SemperFi on October 01, 2017, 10:16:20 pm
Enos needs to insert a true West Coast style offense that will allow AA to get rid of the ball much faster by having the WR's running shorter routes. This will spread out the defense to allow Hayden, Whaley and Williams to have some lanes to run the ball. You take the pressure off of the OL and it saves your QB from getting brutalized by the oppossing defense. We have the TE's to get it done and the Receivers looked solid against NMSU. I like any of our RB's in free space and think that they all have the ability to take it to the house once they get into the 2nd level of the defense. Just dink them to death all the way down the field and keep their offense sitting on the sideline.
This sounds promising.  I am sure AA would appreciate it.  Who runs this  true west coast offense?

imtad16

I'd be so happy for that guy if this happened. He didn't get much of a chance at South Carolina. He never even really got carries in conference games. Seems weird because he was a pretty decent 4 star recruit with really good offers and looks great here.

Pigasaurus

Quote from: SemperFi on October 01, 2017, 10:16:20 pm
West coast like 90s Niners depends on great OL play. Don't know about variations.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

SPAL

Quote from: Tarheelhawg on October 01, 2017, 10:21:20 pm
This sounds promising.  I am sure AA would appreciate it.  Who runs this  true west coast offense?

Most of your modern day air raid offenses are basically west coast offense.

Tarheelhawg

Petrino's offense seems like a fit to the west coast style.  Jordan Jones running a crossing route reminds me a little of Joe Adams.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hawg66 on October 01, 2017, 09:27:27 pm
Arkansas needs to run the ball. The Hogs are averaging over 200 ypg rushing and SC is allowing over 200 ypg. Run the ball ball and run the clock. Most of the stats favor Arkansas.  Everyone is complaining but the Hogs are converting 50% of their third downs. Keeping the other team's offense on the sideline is the Hogs best defense.

According to ESPN, they have only given up 200 yards rushing to an opponent once all season and that was the aggies 239. Twice this season they didn't even give up 100 yards rushing in games with one of those being NC State.

We have been terrible on 3rd down in our 2 losses. The complaining is justified.

Starts with protecting Allen. They will start out stacking the box. If we can't pass protect we won't be able to back them off the line of scrimmage.

imtad16

Quote from: ShadowHawg on October 01, 2017, 10:37:20 pm
According to ESPN, they have only given up 200 yards rushing to an opponent once all season and that was the aggies 239. Twice this season they didn't even give up 100 yards rushing in games with one of those being NC State.

We have been terrible on 3rd down in our 2 losses. The complaining is justified.

Starts with protecting Allen. They will start out stacking the box. If we can't pass protect we won't be able to back them off the line of scrimmage.

I don't think we will have as bad as a problem in pass pro as we did against A&M based on the fact that A&M leads the SEC in sacks with 20. Meanwhile, South Carolina is 12th in the conference with 8 sacks. We are 13th in the conference with 7.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: imtad16 on October 01, 2017, 10:45:02 pm

I don't think we will have as bad as a problem in pass pro as we did against A&M based on the fact that A&M leads the SEC in sacks with 20. Meanwhile, South Carolina is 12th in the conference with 8 sacks. We are 13th in the conference with 7.

I don't have much confidence because New Mex St got some big hits on Allen and they are much worse defensively. You can get pressure on a qb and not get the sack too.

Michael_E_Davis

If Allen gets some protection, and is able to throw the ball,  we should be okay.   If he is running for his life every play,  we are in trouble.
"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

Tarheelhawg

Some quick slants , screens, and jet sweeps would help keep the defense off balance.  But will have to establish the run even if they load the box so the play action passing is effective. The o-line has to protect AA at all costs.  This will be a tough but winnable game.

Tusks

Quote from: Tarheelhawg on October 01, 2017, 10:36:46 pm
Petrino's offense seems like a fit to the west coast style.  Jordan Jones running a crossing route reminds me a little of Joe Adams.

That was one of the things I loved about BP's offense, the clearing routes.  He would flood a zone and then would flood an area of a zone leading into another coverage zone.  It was a thing of beauty.  Especially when LB's were involved, he'd make them dizzy.  He always kept the D off balance.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

jgphillips3

This comes down to our O-line.  If they keep playing like matadors and letting people run free at AA, we lose.  If they keep the sack count down to 2 or less and the hurries under 5, we can win.  Our whole season thus far has been the same tale.  If the O-line stops sucking, we could start winning.  Given the multiple combinations we seem to be trying, it seems that CBB's sense of self preservation has finally won out over his stubbornness.  If he finds five that can protect AA, we can finish with 6-7 wins.  If protection continues to be Swiss cheese, 4-5 wins.  The defense will improve somewhat as the season progresses the longer they play this scheme.

rzrbk4life

Our game plan is run the ball, milk the clock, and bend but don't break defense
Let's call those hogs!!!!

hogcard1964

Run, run, run   and pass only when needed.

I just wish we weren't running the 3-4 any longer.

rljjr

lstewart

Based upon us against A&M, and them against A&M, I would say we probably have the better offense, and they have the better defense. Maybe a toss up, with them having some advantage being at home. A winnable game, but not one I feel we are clearly the better team.

EastexHawg

Quote from: imtad16 on October 01, 2017, 10:45:02 pm

When looking at stats early in the year you have to consider who the teams have played.  Other than our common opponent...Texas A&M...South Carolina has played North Carolina State, Kentucky, Missouri, and Louisiana Tech.  I don't see a Florida A&M, or even a New Mexico State, in that group.  I guess Louisiana Tech vs. NMSU is debatable.

NuttinItUp

zebradynasty

The lack of a field goal kicker may bite us in the tush this game. First real road test so I have no idea how the hogs will respond. One thing that concerns me is when I looked in on some of the SEC games this weekend (missed SC game) I was amazed at the difference in size and body shape of our DL vs other SEC DL! They may look like Tarzan and play like Jane but I would take my chances with them. I'm not talking about Bama and LSU heck both Ol Pee and MisState had some good looking players. We need some SERIOUS upgrades on both OL and DL.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Tarheelhawg on October 01, 2017, 09:22:31 pm
Very interesting, good strategy.

Most of the time it's best to let coaches decide strategy.................Most of the time.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: pigasaurus on October 01, 2017, 10:28:06 pm
West coast like 90s Niners depends on great OL play. Don't know about variations.

ALL good offensive schemes need great OL play.....................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Tejano Jawg

Even though our offense—and offensive line—has been dysfunctional this year, I think it can do enough. No matter what AA does, our running game needs to be solid. And it will set up play action passing.

Our defense has to take a big step. Against the Ags, giving up those big plays killed us. We saw big pass completions last Saturday too. We gotta tighten up.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Polecat

Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

SemperFi

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on October 01, 2017, 10:30:45 pm
Most of your modern day air raid offenses are basically west coast offense.

They are actually versions of the West Coast offense. Bill Walsh developed the West Coast offense. It's designed around short to intermediate passing.

I'm just suggesting an offensive scheme that is designed to get the ball out of the QB's hands as quickly as possible and into the hands of our playmakers.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

GuvHog

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 02, 2017, 09:23:24 am
When looking at stats early in the year you have to consider who the teams have played.  Other than our common opponent...Texas A&M...South Carolina has played North Carolina State, Kentucky, Missouri, and Louisiana Tech.  I don't see a Florida A&M, or even a New Mexico State, in that group. I guess Louisiana Tech vs. NMSU is debatable.

It's more than debatable. Louisiana Tech doesn't have an NFL caliber QB or an NFL caliber running back. New Mexico State has BOTH. Bad comparison.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

ricepig

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on October 01, 2017, 09:39:52 pm
Most of the 18's I've seen are par 4 minimum. I would like a Triple Eagle ace on # 18 though...

East Lake has a nice Par 3 to finish.

rhames

Big money moving the line towards Arkansas
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

FineAsSwine

On a last-second field goal from over 40 yards away. First field goal of the season wins the game.
Hogs up! Covid down!

ricepig

HotlantaHog

In a game like this, it looks really close but is hard not to give a slight edge to the home team.