Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Barry lunney retiring

Started by Hog1952, January 26, 2015, 02:58:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hog1952

grayhawg

Wildhog

Quote from: grayhawg on January 26, 2015, 03:07:43 pm
I hope Barry junior doesn't take that job.

I've got to think he knew this would be happening before he signed his contract extension.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

PorkRinds

I played for Barry Sr., and grew up with the Lunneys.  He's a really good man, and a great football coach.  Having Barry Jr. on our staff is a great opportunity to keep the name going in our state. 

HOGINTENNESSEE

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on January 26, 2015, 03:08:43 pm
I've got to think he knew this would be happening before he signed his contract extension.

Yeah, let's see, $125,000 from Bentonville, if he'd get that much, to $240,000 from the UofA, which has potential to keep going up.........

DeltaBoy

Hope Coach joins the HOG STAFF!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ricepig

PorkRinds

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 26, 2015, 03:14:35 pm
Hope Coach joins the HOG STAFF!

This thread is getting better and better.  He's retiring at 65+ years of age.  He isn't going to be a hog coach.

rickm1976

My son once interviewed with both Barry and Barry Jr. when they were both at Bentonville.  He ended up deciding to stay coaching where he was, but he really liked both of them and speaks highly of both of them to this day.

baitshop

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 26, 2015, 03:19:07 pm
This thread is getting better and better.  He's retiring at 65+ years of age.  He isn't going to be a hog coach.

I think that Barry may only be 61 or 62. He graduated from Northside in 1970...

My guess would be that he would move into some other position in the expanded athletic department once the 2nd school opens in Bennie....
"Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them" - Ronald Reagan

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: baitshop on January 26, 2015, 03:39:36 pm

My guess would be that he would move into some other position in the expanded athletic department once the 2nd school opens in Bennie....

Probably more like 62 or 63.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

baitshop

oldman1015

Arkansas, the left lane state.

CabotHog87

xxtomassxx1980

Hog1952

He's been one of he best HS coaches this state has ever had.

jusgtohogs

... He graduated from Northside in 1970...

If he graduated in 1970, he'll turn 63 this year

Hogusta National

Pretty sure he graduated from Southside HS.

The Boar War

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: xxtomassxx1980 on January 26, 2015, 03:58:47 pm
John L. Smith already tried that....

But he was that for Bama........................at least that's where he thought he was.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

texas tush hog

Quote from: ricepig on January 26, 2015, 03:14:02 pm
Yeah, let's see, $125,000 from Bentonville, if he'd get that much, to $240,000 from the UofA, which has potential to keep going up.........

lil Barry is probably making as much as the whole Bentonville staff combined. Doing a helluva job I might add. You know I hate to say that.

ricepig

Quote from: texas tush hog on January 26, 2015, 05:20:51 pm
lil Barry is probably making as much as the whole Bentonville staff combined. I'm sure he gone LOL.

You don't know what Bentonville pays, haha, they rank behind Arkansas and ASU, and in front of the other colleges........

texas tush hog

Quote from: ricepig on January 26, 2015, 05:22:36 pm
You don't know what Bentonville pays, haha, they rank behind Arkansas and ASU, and in front of the other colleges........

Dang it why did I ever leave coaching, oh wait.

ricepig

Quote from: texas tush hog on January 26, 2015, 05:24:49 pm
Dang it why did I ever leave coaching, oh wait.

Yeah, them vendors pay well for their "babies" coaches....

baitshop

Quote from: Hogusta National on January 26, 2015, 04:26:48 pm
Pretty sure he graduated from Southside HS.

Nope. Northside Grizzly class of 1970. I'm positive.

texas tush hog

Quote from: ricepig on January 26, 2015, 05:25:52 pm
Yeah, them vendors pay well for their "babies" coaches....

Ain't it the truth.

Boarcephus

Quote from: baitshop on January 26, 2015, 05:29:54 pm
Nope. Northside Grizzly class of 1970. I'm positive.

Yep, I was at Southside in 1970 and he was across town. 

He has to go down as one of the all time most successful high school coaches in the state.  You had Bill Stancil at Northside, Frank McClelland at Barton and I'm sure another one or two but Lunney won wherever he went.  I never thought he could have made Bentonville a power but he damn sure did.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: texas tush hog on January 26, 2015, 05:20:51 pm
lil Barry is probably making as much as the whole Bentonville staff combined. Doing a helluva job I might add. You know I hate to say that.

Barry needs to pop over to Oklahoma or better yet, Texas, and coach for a few years and pick up a second retirement. Doubt he'll do that though. If you want to find him in the future it will probably be with a fishin pole in his hands on a lake somewhere nearby. He is a good guy and has done a great job coaching.
Go Hogs Go!

bigbadhog

Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

stan the man

It's not hard when you have the largest high school in the state. I knew he would retire before the second school was added. Not saying he's not a good coach but he knew what he was getting when he went to Bentonville. Competing with cities like Rogers and Springdale and Ft Smith schools all of which where split into two schools

PorkRinds

Quote from: stan the man on January 26, 2015, 10:21:24 pm
It's not hard when you have the largest high school in the state. I knew he would retire before the second school was added. Not saying he's not a good coach but he knew what he was getting when he went to Bentonville. Competing with cities like Rogers and Springdale and Ft Smith schools all of which where split into two schools

He won at Southside too.

onebadrubi

I'm confused by what you're saying.  You lead me to believe it would be harder to win with 1 school vs it being split, which I believe MOT splitting is better for athletics.  NLR for example is doing everything they can not to split. 

ChitownHawg

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 26, 2015, 03:19:07 pm

Well if he does become a Hog coach then I have a cousin who needs a job that could be a Hog coach and I'm sure several of you have relatives that need a job who could be a Hog coach. After all it seems Delta's only requirement for being a Hog coach is be from Arkansas.  ;)

No knock on Coach Lunney Sr. as he has had a great career helping shape young men's lives, and now it is time for him to enjoy his well deserved retirement.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

This is correct.  I played against him in high school and I also graduated in 1970. I'm 62.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

PorkRinds

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 27, 2015, 08:05:55 am
He could be a aid in instate recruiting.

He already is.  His son is on staff, and using all those contacts his daddy made coaching in the state.

OLDHOG

I played at NLR when he played at Northside. My son played at NLR when Barry Jr. played at Southside and we developed some what of a relationship. Great coach and even better man. He'll be hard to replace. Don't think Bentonville, as nice as it is, could afford what the UofA is paying Jr, but you just never know.

ricepig

stan the man

I disagree about being Better with one school. A lot of good athlets in all sports don't get a chance to participate.  Bentonville dominates in all sports in Arkansas due to the size of the school  That will change with sharing athletes. Prime example is Springdale. Look what happened when they split  I didn't say he wasn't a good coach one of the best

DeltaBoy

January 27, 2015, 11:00:13 am #42 Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 11:11:57 am by DeltaBoy
Quote from: PorkRinds on January 27, 2015, 09:28:57 am
He already is.  His son is on staff, and using all those contacts his daddy made coaching in the state.

Still he got a depth of knowledge that could aid the program.  Remember Frank had the old Central High Coach on his staff in the 1960's .

PorkRinds

Quote from: OLDHOG on January 27, 2015, 10:30:57 am
I played at NLR when he played at Northside. My son played at NLR when Barry Jr. played at Southside and we developed some what of a relationship. Great coach and even better man. He'll be hard to replace. Don't think Bentonville, as nice as it is, could afford what the UofA is paying Jr, but you just never know.

Yes, you do.

OLDHOG

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

MuskogeeHogFan

Barry is a fine man and he knew when to exit, when he is on top. Many miss this. Unlike some of you, I have known Barry since 1971 and he is and always has been a great guy and a team player.

I wish him every happiness in his retirement.

http://5newsonline.com/2015/01/26/lunney-steps-down-as-bentonville-coach/
Go Hogs Go!

Boarcephus

It would be interesting to see what Lunney could do in the LR school system, with his reputation, where you have superior athletes in greater numbers but you can't seem to get them to try out for the squads and having to deal with less $$$ for facilities.  I still think Pulaski County is part of the answer for solving the states recruiting deficiencies, just gotta find a way to get the kids in the programs.  Lunney might be the answer.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Boarcephus on January 27, 2015, 07:29:04 pm
It would be interesting to see what Lunney could do in the LR school system, with his reputation, where you have superior athletes in greater numbers but you can't seem to get them to try out for the squads and having to deal with less $$$ for facilities.  I still think Pulaski County is part of the answer for solving the states recruiting deficiencies, just gotta find a way to get the kids in the programs.  Lunney might be the answer.

A headache that he doesn't need at this point?

He would be better served to move to Texas or Oklahoma and coach for a few years to acquire an additional retirement income if he were so moved to do so. Personally, I think he goes fishing instead.
Go Hogs Go!

Boarcephus

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 27, 2015, 07:35:44 pm
A headache that he doesn't need at this point?

He would be better served to move to Texas or Oklahoma and coach for a few years to acquire an additional retirement income if he were so moved to do so. Personally, I think he goes fishing instead.

Missing the point Muskogee.  Just thinking out loud, it'd be nice for the Razorback program if he'd taken his obvious talents to LR where the talent is more abundant and get those kids involved to help feed the Razorback football team instead of taking it to Bentonville or Southside where there is not that much D1 talent. 

If I were him, I'd walk away just like he's doing and as a matter of fact, that's exactly what the wife and I are doing when hit 62 ourselves here in 2016