Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dan Enos in

Started by Prestworthy, January 23, 2015, 10:33:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Prestworthy

the booth or on the field?  He seems like a fiery guy and his personality would work well on the field.  Chaney was in the booth.

Doug

Since Bielema's a defense type guy, I would expect the DC to be in the booth this upcoming season.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

gawntrail

Prestworthy

Tim Harris

My guess is on the field just because that is what he is used to. My guess is Lunney stays up in the booth.

Tim Harris

Quote from: Doug on January 23, 2015, 10:35:30 am
Since Bielema's a defense type guy, I would expect the DC to be in the booth this upcoming season.

Smith has previously stated his preference is to be on the field. The way the defense played this year I hope they don't change a thing.

ricepig

Quote from: Tim Harris on January 23, 2015, 10:41:14 am
Smith has previously stated his preference is to be on the field. The way the defense played this year I hope they don't change a thing.

Smith isn't moving.

hoglady

No kidding!!
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Tim Harris on January 23, 2015, 10:40:31 am
My guess is on the field just because that is what he is used to. My guess is Lunney stays up in the booth.

This is my assumption. Enos is used to calling plays on the field. I'm assuming he will stay with what he is comfortable with.

hogman99

Quote from: Doug on January 23, 2015, 10:35:30 am

Why? Seemed like Smith did well on the field last year.

moses_007

IMHO, both coordinators should always be on the field.  They need to get up close and personal with the playmakers.  You can't do that from the booth upstairs.

The NewEra

The way Chaney called plays this year I hope they reverse it :)

SquidBilly

When a coordinator is in the booth and needs to chew some @$$ he has to do it through the headset and the person on the other end may or may not listen.  However it's pretty hard not to pay attention when the coach is down there in your facemask.

Doug

I know that many coaches tend to have one coordinator on the field and one up in the booth. Is there an NCAA restriction preventing both coordinators being on the field?
--Doug

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

SPAL

Quote from: moses_007 on January 23, 2015, 01:07:21 pm
IMHO, both coordinators should always be on the field.  They need to get up close and personal with the playmakers.  You can't do that from the booth upstairs.

Just the opposite. Position coaches can do the chewing. Coordinators should be where they have the best vantage point, the booth.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Prestworthy on January 23, 2015, 10:33:56 am
the booth or on the field?  He seems like a fiery guy and his personality would work well on the field.  Chaney was in the booth.

Down!

Doug

Quote from: DougI know that many coaches tend to have one coordinator on the field and one up in the booth. Is there an NCAA restriction preventing both coordinators being on the field?
Decided to go straight to one of the best people to ask... one of the coaches (HC, of course) himself. Will update with an answer when I hear back. :)
--Doug

Hellafied

Quote from: Doug on January 23, 2015, 01:58:07 pm
I know that many coaches tend to have one coordinator on the field and one up in the booth. Is there an NCAA restriction preventing both coordinators being on the field?
.  Well Alabama had Kiffin and Smart on the sideline so I'm guessing we can. But again Bama don't have the same rules as everyone else.

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on January 23, 2015, 01:59:27 pm
Just the opposite. Position coaches can do the chewing. Coordinators should be where they have the best vantage point, the booth are most comfortable.

FIFY

Tim Harris

Quote from: Hellafied on January 23, 2015, 02:12:21 pm
.  Well Alabama had Kiffin and Smart on the sideline so I'm guessing we can. But again Bama don't have the same rules as everyone else.

That was the example I was going to give.

There are no rules about what coaches can be where.

Tim Harris

Last year we had Jennings in the booth for defense. Chaney and Lunney were both up there for offense.

My guess is this year we have Lunney and Jennings with the others on the field.

colbs

Kirby Smart and Kiffin both were are the field this season.

The_Iceman

I always like the OC in the booth because he can see the defensive formations better.

Tim Harris

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 23, 2015, 03:21:22 pm
I always like the OC in the booth because he can see the defensive formations better.

Plenty of OCs call great games from the field. The key is to have someone you trust feeding you the info you need up there.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Doug on January 23, 2015, 02:08:10 pm
Decided to go straight to one of the best people to ask... one of the coaches (HC, of course) himself. Will update with an answer when I hear back. :)

No need. I went to one of my many head coaching connections and found there's no rule for coordinators in tthe booth/on the field.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Seems to me that years ago, the Coordinators were on the field nearly always.  They seemed to develop another assistant that would translate the opposing schemes from the booth and the OC or DC would call the play or scheme from the sideline.  They also had better control of their players and, I suspect, better had the players attention and respect.  With our players who most agree could use training and teaching at all times, I believe the Coordinators would serve the team better if on the field.

Inhogswetrust

January 23, 2015, 04:01:52 pm #27 Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 06:16:16 pm by Inhogswetrust
There is a former head coach of a college team in Arkansas that coached from the booth........................................Ken Stevens at UCA.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

texas tush hog

No they can be wherever they want to be and as far as chewing ass, IMHO it is better to chew in practice and keep a low profile on game day. Let the HC do the ass chewing ala Saban.

onebadrubi

Really?  Reply number 29 and no one mentions the elevator?  The SA's go to work today or something?

Dwight_K_Shrute

Field

1.  That is where Enos has called the plays from.
2.  The most successful OC in recent Ark history who also happened to be the HC called all the plays and he was on the field.
3.  Please get real if anyone thinks or even suggests that Robb Smith go to the booth.
4.  We have seen what having the DC on the field does for the D.  It's a cool head when needed and someone to pump them up when needed.
5.  When there is a disagreement between HC and a coordinator there is less chance for miscommunication if everyone is on the field.
6.  Having Lunney be main eyes in the booth actually gives him a chance to grow and have more input so it's not bad for his development either.
7.  QB is the most important position on the field so it can't do anything but help to have his coach and OC on the sideline

I could go on but I think 7 points is enough to negate the "better vantage point" argument.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

BroyledNutts

There are no defective elevators on the field....

BroyledNutts

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 23, 2015, 04:25:51 pm
Really?  Reply number 29 and no one mentions the elevator?  The SA's go to work today or something?

Oh...just noticed your post...guess it had to be me....

longpig

Isn't there a limit to how many coaches can be on the sideline?
Don't be scared, be smart.

aloha_kid

Quote from: Prestworthy on January 23, 2015, 10:33:56 am

He can be in the crapper eating hot wings, Ho Ho's, and fried rice drinking chocolate Yoo-Hoo for all I care as long as the offense is rolling and scoring.  Some do better in the booth and other do better on the field.

Doug

Quote from: longpigIsn't there a limit to how many coaches can be on the sideline?
Yes. I believe it's 9 total (not including medical staff)
--Doug

Melorock089

Quote from: Doug on January 23, 2015, 02:08:10 pm

I suppose you'd give away a lot of media credibility if you name dropped.

Jek Tono Porkins

I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

bennyl08

It all depends on the situation at hand. Who is the guy the players have the best relationship with? Who is the most analytical? In my own stereotypes, both coordinators would be up in the booth given they are more X's and O's type while the individual position coach's are on the field as they interact with the players at each position more. However, whoever coach's quarterbacks and linebackers should be on the field, so if the coordinator doubles as one of those coaches, on the field they should be. However, for any given coaching staff, maybe the coordinator is they type of guy you want on the field and you have a different person who best suits the eagle eyes role.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

sasnakrafan

Quote from: colbs on January 23, 2015, 03:14:09 pm
Kirby Smart and Kiffin both were are the field this season.

Remember the rules at Alabama doesnt always translate to the rest of the ncaa. :D

gawntrail

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 24, 2015, 03:29:27 am
It all depends on the situation at hand. Who is the guy the players have the best relationship with? Who is the most analytical? In my own stereotypes, both coordinators would be up in the booth given they are more X's and O's type while the individual position coach's are on the field as they interact with the players at each position more. However, whoever coach's quarterbacks and linebackers should be on the field, so if the coordinator doubles as one of those coaches, on the field they should be. However, for any given coaching staff, maybe the coordinator is they type of guy you want on the field and you have a different person who best suits the eagle eyes role.

I prefer the field.  Being down where you can look in a kids eyes is where you get all the feedback you need.  The booth is sterile.  No feedback except voice.  I think with guys who are charismatic need to be on the field.  The guys who are more reserved get up in the booth or back behind the kids working the bench.  The sidelines are dynamic.  So much of the game is emotion and psychological.  Those stoic guys that can coach can get through to their guys.  No doubt.  But, when kids are getting coached up others are watching and THAT is where you want energy and passion.  Its contagious and feeds more than just the kid the coach is interacting with.  Others pick up on the vibe.  And that stuff instills confidence. 

Break & Run

Quote from: Melorock089 on January 23, 2015, 10:23:37 pm
I suppose you'd give away a lot of media credibility if you name dropped.

I would assume either Georgia State or Georgia Southern HC.
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."