Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Offensive Balance

Started by chitwnhog, January 22, 2015, 05:00:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 22, 2015, 05:03:54 pm
Enos was brought in to solidify offensive balance.  This hire will finally make BA what everybody hoped he'd be some day.

I'm not sure that was the reason that he was brought to Arkansas.

Let's look at what Enos' teams at CMU produced on average the last 3 years that he was there (against teams that were on their level of competition or higher), giving him the benefit of having had his first 2 years, to bring in "his" players.

He did have some semblance of balance in his play calling over those three years, averaging 53% run to 47% pass.

But yardage wise there wasn't as much balance with an average of 38.1% of their yards coming from rushing while 61.9% came from passing.

By contrast, Arkansas had 61%/39% split in percentage of rushing plays to pass plays and a 54%/46% split in terms of rushing yards to passing yards, in 2014.

So I am not sure that Enos was brought in to achieve some level of balance that wasn't there before. I believe that he was brought in because he is just more comfortable in the offensive scheme that Bielema wants his team to run and perhaps may be better at implementing a successful passing game out of that scheme.

Additionally, he apparently can coach and develop QB's and I agree with the guy from SDS in this regard.

In his 3rd year at the helm Enos had a Senior QB who completed 59% of his passes for an average of 250 yards per game while having 8 INT's to 22 passing TD's that season.

The next year he had a true freshman QB who completed just 55% of his passes for 197 yards per game but threw 16 INT's to just 12 passing TD's.

As a Sophomore, this same QB completed 61.3% of his passes for an average of 248 yards per game and threw 13 INT's to 23 passing TD's.

So what I think (and hope by the way) we will see with the addition of Enos is a continuing ground and pound philosophy with the running game, better utilization of the FB, sets with two RB's more often (can't key on just one) and as good or better utilization of the TE's and WR's than we have seen the last two years...I hope.

But I think that what we will also see is BA taking a better and bigger step forward as a throwing QB  by improved fundamentals, that will be stressed every day in practice. I also think we will see greater development of the other QB's on the team and yes, I believe that we will see a very developed #2 at QB. Not that AA didn't do well when he stepped in for his brother last year, but everyone (primarily the OC and HC) is going to have greater confidence and will be less hesitant to go to the #2 if the #1 goes down.

Enos isn't the big name, big splash, previously super successful OC that some might have hoped for, but I think that from the standpoint of meshing with the system we have in place and overall philosophy, he will be an excellent fit and better on his first day, than Chaney was on his, for what we need under Bielema.
Go Hogs Go!

Pork Twain

Quote from: DawgTownHog on January 22, 2015, 05:24:17 pm
Oh I read your post just fine. You used hyperbole and I called you on it. Offensive Balance as defined by Bielema is by yardage and has been defined in that way by him from day one in his first press conference. People like you want to put their own spin on it and redefine it in your own terms. Bielema has never defined himself as a pass first coach. He seeks balance and his definition of balance is defined by yardage. Bielema said in his opening press conference his goal was 250yrds rushing and 250yrds passing.
Exactly right.  CBB came out and described exactly what balance meant to him. 
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pork Twain

January 24, 2015, 07:52:19 am #52 Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 10:09:19 am by Pork Twain
Quote from: Chris McWilliams on January 23, 2015, 10:28:30 am
Bielema has never "defended" his notion of balance.  He believes in equal yardage, you and others believe it has to be equal plays for it to be a balanced offense.  As a former player and coach on both sides of the ball, I tend to view "being balanced" as the ability pass/run efficiently enough to move the chains and score touchdowns. You, through the spectrum of enduring the Hatfield/Ford/Nutt offenses, are biased to think ANY offense that is run heavy is just as handicapped as those previous offenses.  Time and time again, myself and others have showed you that even in his worst years, Bielema's passing offense would have been light years ahead of what you witnessed under Hatfield/Ford/Nutt.  You're unwilling to view those facts and continue to beat the drum that Bielema is Nutt 2.0 though nothing could be further from the truth

In his post, Mike contradicted himself.  In the same post, he said that Bielema beleives balance to be equal yardage (which Bielema has stated over and over) but then speculated that he said something different in order to hire Chaney.  Sorry, but it doesn't pass the sniff test in terms of Bielema's persona. He is, to a fault up front and honest as well as says exactly what is on his mind.  You and others need to take note of that when comparing him to Nutt, who former players have compared to a used car salesman.
You are exactly right, although I do believe Mike was admittedly throwing stuff against the wall in that post.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Lake City Hog

Guys, how about another 2 cents thrown in?
To me true balance is the ability to run the ball and throw the ball effectively.

As it was stated before in the Whiskey romp over Nebraska they kept running the ball because Nebraska could not stop them. In that situation throwing the ball would have been a piece of cake.

However, it is those times when the other team is stopping your run game that you HAVE to be effective in your passing game that counts. Can you throw the ball when it really matters? If you cannot, then you are not a balanced team.

And please layoff the stats bull crap, passing stats are padded in blowout wins over inferior opponents and even to some degree in blowout losses. Teams quite often throw way more than normal in a loss trying to play catch-up.

And please layoff the terrible receiver bull crap, we have kids that can catch the ball. We need better coaching for our receivers and better routes/formations to maximize their abilities. That my friends is what coaching is all about---maximizing the abilities of your players.

I think that most of what I just stated is why we have a new OC.

MuskogeeHogFan

January 24, 2015, 09:15:56 am #54 Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 09:53:30 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: Pork Twain on January 24, 2015, 07:47:21 am
Exactly right.  CBB came out and described exactly what balance meant to him. 

I think that is true. Yardage wise we were pretty close to "balance" last year with an average of 218 rushing per game (54% of total offense) to 188 passing (46%). But those yardage numbers may be the reason for the departure of Chaney and the arrival of Enos. Chaney, with all of his years of experience, rarely ever seemed to be able to put a repetitive and effective offensive gameplan together. It seemed as if he struggled with the philosophy that Bielema embraced.

I believe that Bielema not only wanted to run the ball more at times, but I also believe that he wanted a more effective and productive passing game that blended well with our rushing philosophy. I think he realizes that just having a massive O-Line and a powerful, dominating rushing attack isn't enough in the SEC. Chaney couldn't seem to put that together.

Enos on the other hand has developed and trained QB's and you can see that from my post above and, he is a better natural fit for the system that Bielema wants to run and knows how to produce a passing game out of what appears to be running sets.

I think it is a good hire, but only time will tell.
Go Hogs Go!

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: Lake City Hog on January 24, 2015, 09:01:52 am
To me true balance is the ability to run the ball and throw the ball effectively.

As it was stated before in the Whiskey romp over Nebraska they kept running the ball because Nebraska could not stop them. In that situation throwing the ball would have been a piece of cake.

However, it is those times when the other team is stopping your run game that you HAVE to be effective in your passing game that counts. Can you throw the ball when it really matters? If you cannot, then you are not a balanced team.

And please layoff the stats bull crap, passing stats are padded in blowout wins over inferior opponents and even to some degree in blowout losses. Teams quite often throw way more than normal in a loss trying to play catch-up.

And please layoff the terrible receiver bull crap, we have kids that can catch the ball. We need better coaching for our receivers and better routes/formations to maximize their abilities. That my friends is what coaching is all about---maximizing the abilities of your players.

I disagree about our receivers. Look at the past couple of NFL drafts and tell me how many wide receivers have come out of Arkansas compared to other SEC schools. Look at the 2014 SEC receiving stats and then tell me that we have talent at the wide receiver spots.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Lake City Hog on January 24, 2015, 09:01:52 am

Season stats are averages that include the blow outs, the losses and the close wins/losses. They are all-encompassing. They do tend to reflect who you are as a team as well as some of your tendencies. There is a reason that coaching staffs require that their statisticians record and keep stats and there is a reason that they pay attention to these things. But fans view them as unimportant or misleading? I guess I don't get that.

As for the receivers, I'm not sure of the quality of coaching that they are receiving. I will say this in complimenting BP, he realized the value in the modern age of football for not just QB's, but receivers as well, being able to read coverages, be on the same page, take a called route and bend it as necessary between coverage, giving both the QB and the receiver a better opportunity for a less contested completion and additional YAC. The important thing there is that in adjusting these routes to various coverage packages, that the QB and his receivers are reading the same thing and therefore, on the exact same page. I didn't see a lot of that happening last year.
Go Hogs Go!

Pork Twain

Imagine if we would have been a little more effective running the ball versus Bama, aTm and Mizzou

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 24, 2015, 10:11:28 am
Imagine if we would have been a little more effective running the ball versus Bama, aTm and Mizzou

Being a little more effective throwing the ball, might have helped that. Enos knows how to throw the ball combined with a rushing attack. I expect we will be better in this area next year.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on January 24, 2015, 10:03:58 am
I disagree about our receivers. Look at the past couple of NFL drafts and tell me how many wide receivers have come out of Arkansas compared to other SEC schools. Look at the 2014 SEC receiving stats and then tell me that we have talent at the wide receiver spots.

Since 2007 we have produced 5, same as S. Carolina, Baylor, Florida. Alabama has produced 2. LSU has produced 9.
Go Hogs Go!

TeedupHigh

For the life of me I don't understand why it matters how many times the ball is ran or the amount of passes thrown?  How many of the pass happy people complained when the HOGS beat down Texas Tech?  How many of those run plays do you think should have been passes?  Should the HOGS have abandon the run just to get on balance?  Folks, that offense the HOGS put on display against Ttech was a beautiful thing!!!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: TeedupHigh on January 24, 2015, 10:42:54 am
For the life of me I don't understand why it matters how many times the ball is ran or the amount of passes thrown?  How many of the pass happy people complained when the HOGS beat down Texas Tech?  How many of those run plays do you think should have been passes?  Should the HOGS have abandon the run just to get on balance?  Folks, that offense the HOGS put on display against Ttech was a beautiful thing!!!

Game plans change depending upon who you play. For Tech, that was the best gameplan for what we wanted to achieve.
Go Hogs Go!

Pork Twain

January 24, 2015, 10:56:22 am #62 Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 11:07:11 am by Pork Twain
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 24, 2015, 10:22:14 am
Being a little more effective throwing the ball, might have helped that. Enos knows how to throw the ball combined with a rushing attack. I expect we will be better in this area next year.
Would love to see more crossing routes and play-action passing from this team, to go along with our TEs and RBs.  I could see us looking SIMILAR to the Pats when they had Gronk, Hernandez and Welker, with a stronger running game and no Tom Brady.  These are impressive stats and most of the passing was to the TE and slot.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/ne/year/2011

gawntrail

NFL stuff...

Strong college football program (A) + Recruits with talent and certain intangibles getting coached (B) = WINNING college program (C).

A + B = C

NFL draft picks is X.  For our purposes here at Arkansas, X is not an indicator for our program, nor should it be part of our equation.  Do we wish our Hogs the best in further pursuing their dream of an NFL career.  Absolutely.  Should it be a focus during their time as Hogs?  Absolutely not.

We need to become a well engineered and lubricated College Football Winning Machine, not an NFL prep academy. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 24, 2015, 10:56:22 am
Would love to see more crossing routes and play-action passing from this team, to go along with our TEs and RBs.  I could see us looking SIMILAR to the Pats when they had Gronk, Hernandez and Welker, with a stronger running game and no Tom Brady.

I think that is the goal, but if Enos can coach BA up as he has his last two starting QB's, he may look somewhat Brady-esque. A QB can be made to look pretty doggone good and efficient when he has protection, an effective run game to keep a defense in check, and effective receivers who benefit from a strong play-action system. I am hoping and expecting that the influence and coaching by Enos is going to catapult BA and the entire offense to the next level.

And think about it for a moment. What an opportunity for Enos. You inherit a mature, Senior QB that threw very few INT's compared to TD's last year, two 1,000+ yard rushers, a massive and experienced O-Line and a group of WR's that have talent, but just need better coaching and development, and maybe the best collective group of TE's in the entire country, along with what may be potentially the best recruiting class that this school has seen in quite some time. Enos never had this level of talent at his disposal at CMU. Even with all of the challenges that he faces in the SEC, this must be like a kid waking up in a candy store.
Go Hogs Go!

Pork Twain

I am pretty pumped to have an OC that is as committed as our HC to utilizing the TE and I love the 2-TE set.  It opens up so much and creates major match-up issues for the defense, on top of having to prepare for a strong/pounding offense that few are using today.

Lake City Hog

Teed, it has nothing to do with "pass happy" it has to do with being able to pass when the defense puts 8 or 9 guys in the box and stops the run.
I'm not at all opposed to BB's philosophy unless he gets to the point of ignoring the fact that if you cannot pass you cannot win. By the same token if you cannot run you won't be completely successful.

My issue with last year was simple we did not know how to throw the ball effectively. a deep out thrown at the line of scrimmage or even 2 yards in front of the LOS is NOT effective. The ball is in the air long enough for the DB to break on it and make a quick tackle, deflect the pass and sometimes make the int.

This crap about separation is just an over-used cliche! Raw speed doesn't ensure separation nearly as much as using the correct formation and running the correct route. J Adams ran a 4.5 and J Wright ran a 4.4, what do most DB's run? 4.4 to 4.6! We have one committed that his profile claims a 4.39! Speed doesn't gain a whole lot on those numbers.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 24, 2015, 11:12:53 am
I am pretty pumped to have an OC that is as committed as our HC to utilizing the TE and I love the 2-TE set.  It opens up so much and creates major match-up issues for the defense, on top of having to prepare for a strong/pounding offense that few are using today.

I'm pumped to have an OC that played QB, knows the QB position, has coached up QB's and produced good results from them and who has also been his own play caller as a HC in a system that is very similar to ours and especially because he used the pass more effectively than we have under Chaney.
Go Hogs Go!

Pork Twain

Can't believe I left that off.  I am also excited that we have a real QB coach.  I really believe this is going to be a very good year for us.  JC was def a square peg in a round hole and I liked the idea of blending his style with BB's but I have come to realize that in the era of spread, the Arkansas/OSU model (what Bama and LSU were 2-4 years ago) is causing major anxiety for DCs that are becoming more and more focused on preparing for the spread.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: gawntrail on January 24, 2015, 10:58:13 am
NFL stuff...

Strong college football program (A) + Recruits with talent and certain intangibles getting coached (B) = WINNING college program (C).

A + B = C

NFL draft picks is X.  For our purposes here at Arkansas, X is not an indicator for our program, nor should it be part of our equation.  Do we wish our Hogs the best in further pursuing their dream of an NFL career.  Absolutely.  Should it be a focus during their time as Hogs?  Absolutely not.

We need to become a well engineered and lubricated College Football Winning Machine, not an NFL prep academy. 

It has tended for one to lead to the other. Since 2007, LSU has had 53 drafted and had an average record of 10-3. USC 51 and an average record of 10-3. Alabama 44 and an average record of 11-2. Oklahoma 40 and an average record of 10-3.

You need quality talent at all positions as well as quality coaching, game planning, player development, etc, etc, but it all goes back to talent and developed talent, that helps you achieve your goal of winning at the college level.
Go Hogs Go!

gawntrail

Quote from: Lake City Hog on January 24, 2015, 11:18:20 am

This crap about separation is just an over-used cliche! Raw speed doesn't ensure separation nearly as much as using the correct formation and running the correct route.

Preach it!!

Stretching a defense vertically is not necessarily beating them over the top.  This is one of two 'stretching' myths.  Stretching vertically is to complete the ball in a bigger midsection of the secondary AND YAC.   Doing this forces the 'top' of the secondary (whoever is deep 1/2, 1/3, or 1/4s) to drop deep but play intermediate.  Also against strong run, to provide force, but, be able to get to their drops.  That's how PA pass kills the secondary on the SS side.  He's #8 moving down or lined up in the box, and you go over his head or in to the space he vacated by moving down for run force.

Huge play action gains are net yardage, not, necessarily deep receptions. 

Blowing the top off of a coverage is not just throwing deeper than the db.  Its throwing to a receiver who then gets vertical into the void of the coverage and beating the angle.  Nothing more devastating to a secondary, and a DCs job, then to run and pass through the defense instead of throwing over it. 

2nd myth is only stretching vertically.  Horizontally stretching a secondary puts defenders in more conflict than vertically.  Cardinal rule is deeper than deepest man in your zone.  There are no rules to multiple receivers in your zone horizontally, hence the conflict.

gawntrail

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 24, 2015, 11:32:59 am
It has tended for one to lead to the other. Since 2007, LSU has had 53 drafted and had an average record of 10-3. USC 51 and an average record of 10-3. Alabama 44 and an average record of 11-2. Oklahoma 40 and an average record of 10-3.

You need quality talent at all positions as well as quality coaching, game planning, player development, etc, etc, but it all goes back to talent and developed talent, that helps you achieve your goal of winning at the college level.

I agree.  Draft picks is a natural by-product of winning programs.  We need to focus on building the winning program (which we are doing). 

PonderinHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 24, 2015, 11:09:21 am
I think that is the goal, but if Enos can coach BA up as he has his last two starting QB's, he may look somewhat Brady-esque. A QB can be made to look pretty doggone good and efficient when he has protection, an effective run game to keep a defense in check, and effective receivers who benefit from a strong play-action system. I am hoping and expecting that the influence and coaching by Enos is going to catapult BA and the entire offense to the next level.

And think about it for a moment. What an opportunity for Enos. You inherit a mature, Senior QB that threw very few INT's compared to TD's last year, two 1,000+ yard rushers, a massive and experienced O-Line and a group of WR's that have talent, but just need better coaching and development, and maybe the best collective group of TE's in the entire country, along with what may be potentially the best recruiting class that this school has seen in quite some time. Enos never had this level of talent at his disposal at CMU. Even with all of the challenges that he faces in the SEC, this must be like a kid waking up in a candy store.
I'm more interested in what he can do with our other three QB's over the next 6-19 months.  The future will be here before you know it.

gawntrail

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 24, 2015, 12:06:33 pm
I'm more interested in what he can do with our other three QB's over the next 6-19 months.  The future will be here before you know it.

Yep.  Diminishing returns.  Strong play calling will improve QB productivity.  Whatever the QBs as a group learn will improve QB productivity.  But, concentrating on one QB is counter-productive. 

Deep Shoat

Quote from: gawntrail on January 24, 2015, 10:58:13 am
NFL stuff...

A + B = C

You are smart enough to realize that more players drafted means more players developed AND more recruits with talent on the Hill, right?

Some of you people amaze me with the stupid darn you type...
All Gas, No Brakes!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 24, 2015, 12:06:33 pm

First, you had better be interested in what he can do to develop BA for his Sr. season, then the other potential contestants. But I don't see this as being an issue. He has shown that he has the ability to develop QB's and he has never had this amount of talent in vast numbers (as a HC the last 5 years) at his disposal.

I think we will see better QB development than we have seen in years.
Go Hogs Go!

gawntrail

Quote from: Deep Shoat on January 24, 2015, 01:23:27 pm
You are smart enough to realize that more players drafted means more players developed AND more recruits with talent on the Hill, right?

Some of you people amaze me with the stupid darn you type...

Chicken>>OR<<Egg..... Circular argument.

UofA is the coop. What happens with the chickens and the eggs is up to those minding the coop.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: gawntrail on January 24, 2015, 02:33:23 pm
Chicken>>OR<<Egg..... Circular argument.

UofA is the coop. What happens with the chickens and the eggs is up to those minding the coop.
No, it's NOT a circular argument.  If players are being developed, they get drafted.  If players get drafted, more talented players come.

It's basic [CENSORED] logic.
All Gas, No Brakes!

hawgsalot

Quote from: bigbadhog on January 22, 2015, 05:13:51 pm
Offensive balance is play calling.  90% running and 10% passing plays is not balance regardless of the yardage...  Balance is being able to do do equally well and being fully committed to both.  Bb does not qualify...

Ah finally came out of the whole, thanks for the input regardless of how wrong it is.

gawntrail

Quote from: Deep Shoat on January 24, 2015, 02:53:09 pm
No, it's NOT a circular argument.  If players are being developed, they get drafted.  If players get drafted, more talented players come.

It's basic [CENSORED] logic.

Its your world brother.  I'm just a minor character in it.

bigbadhog

Quote from: hawgsalot on January 24, 2015, 02:55:40 pm
Ah finally came out of the whole, thanks for the input regardless of how wrong it is.

What's a whole??? And somebody has to bring some sensibility to these discussions.  I guess you would argue 90/10 run is balance if the yardage is equal.  I argue you have to be good and committed to both the run and pass - like the Razorbacks the second half of 2010.  Tough argument to overcome for you...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

rtr

Quote from: bigbadhog on January 24, 2015, 03:51:12 pm
What's a whole??? And somebody has to bring some sensibility to these discussions.  I guess you would argue 90/10 run is balance if the yardage is equal.  I argue you have to be good and committed to both the run and pass - like the Razorbacks the second half of 2010.  Tough argument to overcome for you...
I too loved the way the Hogs played during that time, but what happened, happened.  I really like the direction of the program now, and yes I believe that Coach B is committed to being able to run and pass efficiently. I really don't know why you would believe otherwise.  The two are not mutually exclusive and do rather complement each other.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

bigbadhog

Quote from: rtr on January 24, 2015, 04:16:14 pm
I too loved the way the Hogs played during that time, but what happened, happened.  I really like the direction of the program now, and yes I believe that Coach B is committed to being able to run and pass efficiently. I really don't know why you would believe otherwise.  The two are not mutually exclusive and do rather complement each other.

Bb is way more committed to the run than the pass.  I can't imagine how that point is even debatable...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bigbadhog on January 24, 2015, 03:51:12 pm

Quote from: bigbadhog on January 24, 2015, 08:07:46 pm
Bb is way more committed to the run than the pass.  I can't imagine how that point is even debatable...

I seem to recall BP making a statement when he first arrived that he wanted to be able to run the ball effectively when we wanted to. Bielema is no different except that he wants us to be able to pass the football effectively when we want to.

In the Texas Tech game there wasn't a great need to throw the ball. When you are averaging 6.4 yds per carry and you are attempting to establish the identity and confidence of your team (especially early in the season), there is little need to throw. So yeah, in that particular game we did what we needed to in order to win, which included keeping an offensive opponent with a HUNH fast paced philosophy, on the sidelines while we beat up and wore down their defense. "Balance" had little relevance in that particular game.

Now in the Missouri game, we were averaging 5.5 yds per carry and 4.4 yds per passing attempt. Which should we have done late in that game that would have given us the best chance to win? Obviously continuing to run the ball instead of suddenly throwing the ball around the field with an injured QB, was the answer. But if you want balance, we ran 30 times and threw 30 times (50/50). Rushing yards were 54% to 46% passing. Balance in both areas, but we lost.

I don't care if the rushing yards are 88% to 12% passing as they were vs. Tech. If the percentages play out like that we are likely beating the crap out of the other team.

And, I don't care if the percentages work out as they did against Missouri. I just want us to utilize whatever we need to utilize to win. And, gameplans are going to vary from opponent to opponent, so while we need some degree of balance to keep opponents from loading up against any one aspect of our game, we are always going to lean on that which is working, whether it be run or pass.

I think that is why we have a new OC that has played and coached up QB's. I believe that we will see an improved passing game from our QB's next season. JMO
Go Hogs Go!

Peter Porker

Quote from: bigbadhog on January 22, 2015, 05:47:47 pm
First of all, I have not complained about the hire.  I said it was probably a good hire for BB.  Whether BB runs a balanced offense is something I will not give in on.  He is not as committed to recruiting players for the passing game as he is for the running game which is the story of Arkansas Football since 1984 except for 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012.  These frustrations are from being a 40+ year fan but keep trying to minimize my opinion...

Bielema has signed better QBs, WRs (besides lucky instate class first yea), and TEs than even your favorite did. Youre lost.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

The NewEra

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 24, 2015, 11:09:21 am

Not to mention that he has Rob Smith's defense watching his back on the other side of the ball.  It will be nice knowing you probably won't have to put up 42 points to win a game.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The NewEra on January 25, 2015, 08:26:47 am
Not to mention that he has Rob Smith's defense watching his back on the other side of the ball.  It will be nice knowing you probably won't have to put up 42 points to win a game.

More good news is that, in his teleconference with the Arkansas Media, Enos said that most of the terminology that our offense uses will stay the same, so that they mostly limit the learning curve to just one person, Enos. He went on to say that there would be some things that might be added and adjusted because of his philosophy, but that those would be limited.

There isn't any change like this that is completely seamless, but it appears that they are trying to make it as seamless as possible and that is really good news for this team and staff.
Go Hogs Go!

Lake City Hog

Muskee, you are hitting all around the problem last year but just missing it. You're right we didn't need to throw against TT, so we didn't. What we did was to try to run a couple of dumb trick plays. The simple truth is, and you know this, that to get better throwing the ball you have to throw the ball!

There is no substitute for live game experience. Game repetitions, building confidence and learning how other defenses react to the play are all necessary to building a good passing game. So no, I don't believe that you just keep running the ball because they cannot stop you. You work on your overall offense because someday you just might need it!

We rushed for 461 yards at TT and for 95 against LSU, so it would appear that we averaged 278 yds/gm, which is a fantastic rushing average. Without some semblance of a passing game, and the fact that LSU was totally inept on offense, we would have been in trouble in the LSU game.

The Wishbone is dead, I know GT, because DC's finally figured out that if they play assignment defense it can be stopped. (I think had MSU not lost their DC that game may have turned out a bit differently) Without the ability to throw the football any run game can be stopped, the threat of the pass forces the defense to play just a bit differently.

A good OC will watch film, find the blitz tendencies and set-up pass plays to take advantage of the vacated space. He will design routes to the RB to slow down those ultra-aggressive DE's flying in off the corner. He will move his best receiver around in an effort to gain a miss-match. The best OC's will scout their own tendencies and run different plays from formations that we tend to run a lot.

My hope is that Enos will come in and fine tune our offense to take advantage of our rushing strength to build a passing game that can compliment our run game and maybe even make it better. Watch what JWill and Collins do when the LB's and Safeties have ot back-up just 2 yards!

The NewEra

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 25, 2015, 08:49:40 am
More good news is that, in his teleconference with the Arkansas Media, Enos said that most of the terminology that our offense uses will stay the same, so that they mostly limit the learning curve to just one person, Enos. He went on to say that there would be some things that might be added and adjusted because of his philosophy, but that those would be limited.

There isn't any change like this that is completely seamless, but it appears that they are trying to make it as seamless as possible and that is really good news for this team and staff.

I like this too.  It should ease the concerns that many had with transitioning from one OC to another.  In two years he will probably have his offense integrated, but in this case, a slower progression makes great sense.  It will be a lot easier for Peavey and Story to adjust to his terminology over time than it would be for the two Allen's who have been in the system longer.

I suspect Enos will have a lot of fun with the TE's grouping next year.  He really wasn't able to have that fully implemented in his scheme while at Cent. Mich.

What I look forward to and hope for most in this change is better and more logical play calling.  After Chaney had run his scripted plays for each game it was a slow slog from there forward in SEC games.

gawntrail

Quote from: Lake City Hog on January 25, 2015, 09:07:04 am
Muskee, you are hitting all around the problem last year but just missing it. You're right we didn't need to throw against TT, so we didn't. What we did was to try to run a couple of dumb trick plays. The simple truth is, and you know this, that to get better throwing the ball you have to throw the ball!

There is no substitute for live game experience. Game repetitions, building confidence and learning how other defenses react to the play are all necessary to building a good passing game. So no, I don't believe that you just keep running the ball because they cannot stop you. You work on your overall offense because someday you just might need it!

We rushed for 461 yards at TT and for 95 against LSU, so it would appear that we averaged 278 yds/gm, which is a fantastic rushing average. Without some semblance of a passing game, and the fact that LSU was totally inept on offense, we would have been in trouble in the LSU game.

The Wishbone is dead, I know GT, because DC's finally figured out that if they play assignment defense it can be stopped. (I think had MSU not lost their DC that game may have turned out a bit differently) Without the ability to throw the football any run game can be stopped, the threat of the pass forces the defense to play just a bit differently.

A good OC will watch film, find the blitz tendencies and set-up pass plays to take advantage of the vacated space. He will design routes to the RB to slow down those ultra-aggressive DE's flying in off the corner. He will move his best receiver around in an effort to gain a miss-match. The best OC's will scout their own tendencies and run different plays from formations that we tend to run a lot.

My hope is that Enos will come in and fine tune our offense to take advantage of our rushing strength to build a passing game that can compliment our run game and maybe even make it better. Watch what JWill and Collins do when the LB's and Safeties have ot back-up just 2 yards!

Our offense will look day and night different this year regardless of how much Enos does or doesn't change.  He will call a different game.

Most of the disgust I had, was with what was called when.  The play calling was not really in sync with what was going on. 

Enos, having been a QB has a better feel for the moment.  He will have tons of data input, but, there is no substitute for the intangible stuff. 

We are in a good place.

gawntrail

Quote from: The NewEra on January 25, 2015, 09:15:19 am
I like this too.  It should ease the concerns that many had with transitioning from one OC to another.  In two years he will probably have his offense integrated, but in this case, a slower progression makes great sense.  It will be a lot easier for Peavey and Story to adjust to his terminology over time than it would be for the two Allen's who have been in the system longer.

I suspect Enos will have a lot of fun with the TE's grouping next year.  He really wasn't able to have that fully implemented in his scheme while at Cent. Mich.

What I look forward to and hope for most in this change is better and more logical play calling.  After Chaney had run his scripted plays for each game it was a slow slog from there forward in SEC games.

YES.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Lake City Hog on January 25, 2015, 09:07:04 am

Don't disagree with this one bit, but as I said earlier in this thread, Chaney with all of his experience just never seemed comfortable or capable of putting together a consistent game plan, that helped us take advantage of having an efficient run game and a efficient passing game to match. The key here being "consistent".

I mentioned Tech because of the poster I quoted. No need to throw the ball in that situation. Bielema was trying to instill our identity of smash mouth football in the minds of our offense and they needed that success in that particular way at that particular moment.

And as far as developing an effective passing game, yes, it helps to try that in a game just as you do when you practice. But for me it all goes back to Chaney. I know Bielema loves to run and dominate defenses through power football, but I believe he also wants us to be able to throw effectively, when we want to or feel that we need to be able to do so. That's the key, not just being able to throw effectively when you want to, but being able to throw effectively when you are in a position where you absolutely need to be able to do so.

I've never had confidence in Chaney's ability to coach up QB's. I think he did a poor job of managing the process and not just with the QB's, but with managing the WR's coach and the WR's and their efficiency.

You can learn a lot in practice, but it has to be focused, effective practice and while it is great to have a QB who has great fundamentals and a good throwing motion, who can also read defenses and coverages and make the right calls at the LOS, if your receivers aren't reading the same thing and bending those routes in the seams that exist between levels of coverage, it puts a lot of additional and unnecessary pressure on the QB and the receivers to try to be productive.

It all starts in practice and having a developed confidence in practice, that you can execute the same in a game. I'm not certain that we ever reached that level of confidence and I lay that at the feet of Chaney. Not because he is gone and an easy target, but because I believe it to be the truth. But that's just my opinion.

If that is true, that may be why we didn't see more effective passing in games and the tendency to always go back to rushing game even when we had some good opportunities to throw the ball.
Go Hogs Go!

Chief Mac

So he is a run first coach?  Big deal.  Jimmy Johnson, Pete Carroll, Nick Saban, Jim Harbaugh, and a host of others are/were run first coaches.  All had/have a ton more success than your boy.  They believe in running to control the game, passing efficiently and great defense.....same as Bielema.
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

The NewEra

I love the way our early schedule sets up this year.  Enos will have the opportunity to give the guys experience running his plays in his system and get comfortable with it prior to us going against our most talented competition.  To me, the schedule sets up well for that game day experience Muskogee speaks of.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The NewEra on January 25, 2015, 09:45:20 am
I love the way our early schedule sets up this year.  Enos will have the opportunity to give the guys experience running his plays in his system and get comfortable with it prior to us going against our most talented competition.  To me, the schedule sets up well for that game day experience Muskogee speaks of.

And for those who want to see the ball thrown more, the last 3 years at CMU they ran 54% of the time and threw 46% of the time (we were 61% and 39% respectively last year) but averaged throwing for 232 yards per game to our 188 last year. I think and I hope that we will find that he will help us get more out of our passing game than we have in the past.
Go Hogs Go!

Pork Twain

January 25, 2015, 11:52:00 am #95 Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 01:00:32 pm by Pork Twain
Every coach is more committed to one than the other, as there is no true balance.   What is wrong with a coach that is more committed to the run?  Has it not been shown to be successful enough for you?

Quote from: bigbadhog on January 22, 2015, 05:47:47 pm
First of all, I have not complained about the hire.  I said it was probably a good hire for BB.  Whether BB runs a balanced offense is something I will not give in on.  He is not as committed to recruiting players for the passing game as he is for the running game which is the story of Arkansas Football since 1984 except for 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012.  These frustrations are from being a 40+ year fan but keep trying to minimize my opinion...
Invalid...If I were you I would go back and look at the players recruited in those classes and think on my last post.  2008 was loaded with offensive weapons (perfect storm), after that, ehh.  Don't even get me started on the miss rate from 2009 through 2011.

40+ years, just goes to show you that doing something for a long time, does not make you good at it.

Here I will do it for you. 

Position/Name/Position rank equals never made it to campus or transferred

2008 (and people wonder why we had no defense)
QB Ryan Mallett
QB Jim Youngblood (28)
QB Tyler Wilson (35)
WR Joe Adams (8 )
WR Jarius Wright (39)
WR Greg Childs (72)
WR Chris Gragg (148)
WR Chris Raggett (NR)
WR Matt Marshall (NR)
RB D'Anthony Curtis (19)
RB Jerico Nelson (51)
RB Khiry Battle (95)
RB Albert Gary (275)
RB Dennis Johnson (114)

QB Brandon Mitchell (80)
RB Ronnie Wingo (12)
RB Kniles Davis (23)
RB Turell Williams (79)
WR Colby Hamilton (108)
WR Lance Ray (143)
WR Neal Barlow (78)

QB Jacoby Walker (40)
WR Marquel Wade (91)
WR Julian Horton (112)
WR Mardrecus Humphrey (113)
WR Javontee Herndon (332)
RB Brylon Mitchell (97)
TE Garrett Uekman (46)

QB Brandon Allen (32)
WR Quinta Funderburk (35)
WR Keante Minor (41)
WR Davyeon McKinney (106)
WR Kane Whitehurst (222)
WR Marquel Wade (NR)
RB Cody Walker (51)
TE Demetrius Dean (47)
TE Brock Haman (61)

RB Johnathan Williams (20)
RB Nate Holmes (36)
WR Keon Hatcher (46)
WR Eric Hawkins (69)
WR Mekale McKay (110)
WR D'Arthur Cowan (134)
WR Demetrius Wilson (NR)
TE Demitrius Dean (NR)

2013 (could not really sign many WR here since they dominated our roster)
QB Austin Allen (30)
QB Damon Mitchell (58)
RB Alex Collins (3)
RB Korliss Marshall (NR)
WR Drew Morgan (NR)
TE Hunter Henry (4)

QB Rafe Peavey (25)
RB Juan Day (77)
Jojo Robinson (20)
WR Kendrick Edwards (75)
WR Jared Cornelius (129)
WR Cody Hollister (NR)

QB Ty Storey (16)
WR KJ Hill (32) Gonna happen
WR Deon Stewart (74)
WR Lamichael Pettway (122)
RB Rawleigh Williams (44)
TE Will Gragg (4)
TE CJ O'Grady (17)
TE Austin Cantrell (26)

WR Jordan Jones

Lake City Hog

Muskee, we are on the same page! I questioned Chaney in 2013, especially as a QB coach. He just never could develop a game rhythm calling plays. Lots of time it would be 3rd and 5 and he would run a deep route off play action.

I would love to see Enos put in that little 1 step drop and hit the quick slant by the TE or the slot guy. So quick it is nearly impossible to defend and off that you could pump fake and drop another step or so and hit a little deeper route. Keep the defense moving to adjust to us.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Lake City Hog on January 25, 2015, 11:59:24 am
Muskee, we are on the same page! I questioned Chaney in 2013, especially as a QB coach. He just never could develop a game rhythm calling plays. Lots of time it would be 3rd and 5 and he would run a deep route off play action.

I would love to see Enos put in that little 1 step drop and hit the quick slant by the TE or the slot guy. So quick it is nearly impossible to defend and off that you could pump fake and drop another step or so and hit a little deeper route. Keep the defense moving to adjust to us.

But you don't have to wait until 3rd down. It should be an integral part of your initial game plan designed to pick up 6 to 8 yards (sometimes more) and to make the LB's have to respect the quick underneath throw, and not primarily play the run.
Go Hogs Go!

The NewEra

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 25, 2015, 12:08:17 pm
But you don't have to wait until 3rd down. It should be an integral part of your initial game plan designed to pick up 6 to 8 yards (sometimes more) and to make the LB's have to respect the quick underneath throw, and not primarily play the run.

I like it.......and the key here is to not be predictable, which Chaney was.  i.e., 90% pass out of the shotgun.  I think Enos will do a much better job of keeping the defenses off balance.

Jek Tono Porkins

Sure, but don't act like Bobby Petrino wasn't more committed to the pass than the run. In his 4 seasons here, there was 1/2 of a season when the running game and the passing game were clicking on all cylinders.

Against Bama in 2010 Arkansas had 64 rushing yards and 357 passing yards.
Don't tell me that's balance.
Against Bama in 2011 Arkansas had 17 rushing yards on 19 attempts and 209 passing yards. Don't tell me that's balance.
Against LSU in 2011 Arkansas had 47 rushing yards on 28 attempts and 207 passing yards. Don't tell me that's balance.
Hell, against Texas A&M in 2011 Arkansas had 71 yards rushing and 510 yards passing. Is that balance?

Of course it's not balance. They had to throw for 500 yards because they gave up 35 points in the first half.

Against Auburn this year, Arkansas had 175 yards passing and 153 yards rushing.
Against Texas A&M, Arkansas had 200 yards passing and 285 yards rushing.
Against Bama, Arkansas had 250 yards passing and 89 yards rushing.
Against Georgia, Arkansas had 299 yards passing and 126 yards rushing.
Against Miss State, Arkansas had 238 yards passing and 163 yards rushing.
Against LSU, Arkansas had 169 yards passing and 95 yards rushing.
Against Ole Miss, Arkansas had 152 yards passing and 159 yards rushing.
Against Mizzou, Arkansas had 133 yards passing and 155 yards rushing.

That was a balanced offense in every plain meaning of the word except for your BS definition.

The thing is, offense isn't as important anymore. Offense was everything under BP because the defense sucked. Now our defense is the focal point of the team. You'll notice that our SEC wins were also the games where the offense had the least yards.

This is real football, not video game football. Defense matters. Defense wins championships.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung