Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Very likely to be better offensive play calling

Started by TheRazorbackGuy, January 22, 2015, 01:59:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TheRazorbackGuy

I wouldn't expect our new OC to throw 3 straight plays when up by 2 scores in the 4th are like our former OC did in multiple games. I saw as the OC at Michigan State he used 2 TEs and no FB. I'm glad because the FB is an extinct position. 2 TEs are better because they can block and make plays in space.

Hawgboy64

My only questions are:
1. How does Dan Enos and Sam Pittman mesh?
2. How does Micheal Smith fit in?
3. How will this affect this years recruiting?
4. Is Dan Enos the college version of Norv Turner?
"Of all the things I've lost, my mind is what I miss the most." Mark Twain

whippersnapper

The fullback isn't dead. There were a lot of times this year on short yardage situations I missed K Small to block the backer on Iso.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on January 22, 2015, 01:59:22 pm
I wouldn't expect our new OC to throw 3 straight plays when up by 2 scores in the 4th are like our former OC did in multiple games. I saw as the OC at Michigan State he used 2 TEs and no FB. I'm glad because the FB is an extinct position. 2 TEs are better because they can block and make plays in space.

You didn't watch the Central Michigan Highlights videos that was posted did you? There were quite a few plays there where our new OC used a fullback.............
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HOGINTENNESSEE

After we lose our first game with him as OC you will turn on him. That's who you are and what you will do.

IBleedRazorbackRed

He was never Oc at michigan state. Having a kiero small would have helped us immensely last year

Biggus Piggus

Dan Enos = experienced high-major offensive coordinator who is a true QB coach. Starting QB at Michigan State in 1989-90. Coached under good mentors such as Mark Dantonio, Craig Bohl, Gary Darnell and Randy Ball.

Swiping a sitting head coach whose team just played in a bowl game = excellent, regardless of what his future at CMU looked like.

Enos coached a true freshman starting QB at Cincinnati in 2005. He helped Drew Stanton become an NFL draft choice despite the presence of John L. Smith.

Enos is 46 years old, seven years younger and many pounds lighter than Jim Chaney.

I'm pleased.
[CENSORED]!

BOAR_N2BWILD

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 22, 2015, 02:16:35 pm
You didn't watch the Central Michigan Highlights videos that was posted did you? There were quite a few plays there where our new OC used a fullback.............
Where is the link for the highlights. Thanks in advance
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

PorkRinds

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 22, 2015, 02:33:14 pm
Dan Enos = experienced high-major offensive coordinator who is a true QB coach. Starting QB at Michigan State in 1989-90. Coached under good mentors such as Mark Dantonio, Craig Bohl, Gary Darnell and Randy Ball.

Swiping a sitting head coach whose team just played in a bowl game = excellent, regardless of what his future at CMU looked like.

Enos coached a true freshman starting QB at Cincinnati in 2005. He helped Drew Stanton become an NFL draft choice despite the presence of John L. Smith.

Enos is 46 years old, seven years younger and many pounds lighter than Jim Chaney.

I'm pleased.

One of the things that I fail to understand is why so many fans have/had to criticize Chaney's health.  It's not your business.  The only thing we should care about is the on field performance, and unless him being overweight was proven to be a factor in that, I think it's bad form.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Hawgboy64 on January 22, 2015, 02:10:04 pm
My only questions are:

Let's stop right there.  Why would there be a question of how they would mesh, or are you just throwing whatever into the mix to see if it sticks with someone.

Atlhogfan1

This will be his first OC job at an FCS program even though he did call his own plays as a head coach. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hawgboy64

Quote from: Hawgboy64 on Today at 02:10:04 pm
My only questions are:

Let's stop right there.  Why would there be a question of how they would mesh, or are you just throwing whatever into the mix to see if it sticks with someone.

Until I see the results on the field, this remains a real question.  Chemistry isn't only seen in a lab, it's something coaching staffs need.  The defense proved this last year. IMO

OneTuskOverTheLine™

My only questions are:

Magic 8 ball...
1. good
2. good
3. good
4. outlook not too clear...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: BOAR_N2BWILD on January 22, 2015, 02:36:31 pm
Where is the link for the highlights. Thanks in advance

I don't want you to think I'm ignoring you or I didn't see them but I've looked and can't find them right now. I DO remember watching them as there were two links but maybe they were on another linked site from a different post here. I was specifically looking for what style he used when I saw some of them but also several other type of plays as well. I saw a lot of one back sets as well. I'll keep looking. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Tusks

I bet the hogs score more in the 2nd half during the 15 season than they did in the 14 season.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 22, 2015, 02:28:30 pm
After we lose our first game with him as OC you will turn on him. That's who you are and what you will do.
Are you addressing 90% of Hogville now? Seems like almost everybody gets down on our coaches after every loss.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

Hoggish1

Quote from: Hawgboy64 on January 22, 2015, 02:44:58 pm
Quote from: Hawgboy64 on Today at 02:10:04 pm

Until I see the results on the field, this remains a real question.  Chemistry isn't only seen in a lab, it's something coaching staffs need.  The defense proved this last year. IMO

Do you think CBB would take the kind of time he took if there was any question about mesh?

I'd bet donuts that CBB & Pittman were on the same page.

hawginbigd1

Our FB's the last 3 years have been much better blockers than our TE's, my biggest issue with Chaney over scheme is us trying to power run with 3 TE's when we don't have one that is an above average blocker with Sprinkle being the best. Arinze should have played way more snaps than he did and Henry, Derby, and Sprinkle should have played less.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 22, 2015, 02:33:14 pm

I'm pleased.
You know, Chaney's obesity always bothered me.  People that big usually just aren't hard workers.   
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Hawgboy64

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 22, 2015, 03:15:26 pm
Do you think CBB would take the kind of time he took if there was any question about mesh?

I'd bet donuts that CBB & Pittman were on the same page.
You may be correct but, until I see it on the field, I will still have the question.
I like the hire but, until these questions are answered on the field, I will take a wait an see approach. The first look will be at the spring game and I can't wait to see it.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on January 22, 2015, 03:03:13 pm
Are you addressing 90% of Hogville now? Seems like almost everybody gets down on our coaches after every loss.

I was referring to The razorback guy.

elksnort

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 22, 2015, 02:39:37 pm
One of the things that I fail to understand is why so many fans have/had to criticize Chaney's health.  It's not your business.  The only thing we should care about is the on field performance, and unless him being overweight was proven to be a factor in that, I think it's bad form.
In a way you are correct that the Chaney's body should not have anything to do with it, but in a way Biggus is correct. Chaney's appearance looked sloppy, and sometimes looks translate to the players negatively.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: elksnort on January 22, 2015, 05:14:41 pm
In a way you are correct that the Chaney's body should not have anything to do with it, but in a way Biggus is correct. Chaney's appearance looked sloppy, and sometimes looks translate to the players negatively.

Really?  You're going to go there with CBB being our coach?  Wow...that seems like a slippery slope to me. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

I was never a fan of JC's play calling, but we truly don't know how much was CBB and how much was Chaney at certain times.  I still find it hard to believe we couldn't devise more ways to combat 8-9 in the box, and at times even 10, any better than we could.  Just a quick slant would have been a TD in several of those formations we faced, and the statement that "we can't run screen passes" kept being thrown out there never made sense to me.  Bama has always had big linemen, and they are one of the best teams I've ever seen at running screens to the backs. 

In a nutshell, our inability to combat teams completely selling out on the run always bothered me from an OC standpoint, and that can't continue. Enos and BB have to find ways to combat that better. 

The times we did do better in the passing game and forced teams to play us honest, we never made them pay with the run.  We'd get a few completions, and Chaney seemed to get pass happy, and not go back to the run when we had them playing honest.  It just never seemed like we found a good rhythm and mix there.       
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

JoeyCapital

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 22, 2015, 05:38:35 pm
Really?  You're going to go there with CBB being our coach?  Wow...that seems like a slippery slope to me.
Cbb kinda looks like one of those old Vikings. Even though he's fat he could still rip out your liver and eat it before you die. Chaney just looks like he owns a donut shop. A good one.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

ballz2thewall

i just can't go for the lardass look.  sorry man; just doesn't work for me. it's a cruel world.  cbb may be toting a few but he LOOKs like a coach. 

lardasses don't.
The rest of the frog.

Josh Goforth

At central mich. he used mostly pro i with 2 backs close to 50% of the time imo. The other half was either shotgun on 3rd and long or a one back under center with packages using mult tes or bunched wrs.  Ill put together some cut ups at Arkansas Fight soon.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ballz2thewall on January 22, 2015, 07:41:00 pm
i just can't go for the lardass look.  sorry man; just doesn't work for me. it's a cruel world.  cbb may be toting a few but he LOOKs like a coach. 

lardasses don't.

I understand, but you don't judge a coach by the way he looks from a physical appearance. That is just wrong. I'm not unhappy with the Chaney departure, but it has nothing to do with his physical appearance and his being overweight wouldn't have mattered to any of you if he had produced an average of 500 yards per game in total offense this past season.
Go Hogs Go!

PORKULATOR

Quote from: whippersnapper on January 22, 2015, 02:13:29 pm
The fullback isn't dead. There were a lot of times this year on short yardage situations I missed K Small to block the backer on Iso.
thank you. I could smite him quick enough when I read that. And applaud you for your immediate and poignant response. +1
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

SquidBilly

In the video in mic'd up thread I heard Enos say something that struck a chord.  He said football is a game of momentum.  You hear a lot of coaches say it and I think they all believe it to be true, but there were times this year where Chaney's playcalling would seem to derail a drive or we'd have a good drive and then follow it up with a three and out on the next possession.  Even in our wins it just never felt like we maintained a good flow on offense throughout the game.  Never could quite figure out why he was never able to sustain momentum in his playcalling.

choppedporkextrasauce

fb is an extinct position? Lol stupid statement of the day.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Bret Squealema on January 22, 2015, 09:18:03 pm
In the video in mic'd up thread I heard Enos say something that struck a chord.  He said football is a game of momentum.  You hear a lot of coaches say it and I think they all believe it to be true, but there were times this year where Chaney's playcalling would seem to derail a drive or we'd have a good drive and then follow it up with a three and out on the next possession.  Even in our wins it just never felt like we maintained a good flow on offense throughout the game.  Never could quite figure out why he was never able to sustain momentum in his playcalling.

From what I have observed so far, Enos in 2012, with an experienced QB (as he will enter 2015), his offense completed about 59% of passes for a little over 250 yards per game, 8 INT's to 22 TD's. I think this works in well with our power running game. However, we will see as time marches on.
Go Hogs Go!

Dropkick

I hope Enos makes Chaney look like R Smith made Ash look.

Pig In The City

Quote from: ballz2thewall on January 22, 2015, 07:41:00 pm

lardasses don't.

You seem to prefer the shallow end of the pool.

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 22, 2015, 02:28:30 pm

Well,yes. If we lose to UTEP 6-0, I will certainly turn on him. With 9 starters returning he would deserve it. Maybe not so much if we lose 52-49. But we won't lose to UTEP, 6-0 or 52-49.

Paul

Quote from: Bret Squealema on January 22, 2015, 09:18:03 pm
. I was a Chaney supporter, thinking that he needed more time to get in some deep threats to prevent opponents from stacking 9 in the box.  I will say that I disliked him trying to trick the defense & disrupting momentum as you point out.  I was also disturbed by his laconic casual air in press conferences during our SEC losing streak.  Never saw any fire in him. Reminded me of JLS in that respect.

Calling All Hogs

His weight is only a factor once every two years when Auburn turns off the elevators for opposing teams. :)

DeltaBoy

I would bet a black land farm on Better Play calling and no 2nd half scoring droughts.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on January 22, 2015, 09:55:48 pm
Well,yes. If we lose to UTEP 6-0, I will certainly turn on him. With 9 starters returning he would deserve it. Maybe not so much if we lose 52-49. But we won't lose to UTEP, 6-0 or 52-49.

I was not saying we would lose our first game. But we will lose a game with him as OC. And when we do TheRazorbackGuy will be the first to turn on him.

That's who he is.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 23, 2015, 02:52:39 pm
I was not saying we would lose our first game. But we will lose a game with him as OC. And when we do TheRazorbackGuy will be the first to turn on him.

That's who he is.

I never said I would turn on Enos. I don't see how it is possible for him to not be a better play caller than Chaney.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Fayettechill14

Watching some Central Michigan film. On multiple occasions they've come out in a Power-I with two fullbacks for short yardage.

Chaney had to be taught that kind of power football, but Enos already does it.

I thought Chaney would be the first coach leaving after year one and not because he would be asked to leave but because he looked so strained having to coach and call the plays he did call.  Never have I believed Chaney was calling his stuff.  I believe he was trying to call the game he believed BB wanted him to call and he just didn't have it in him.  Chaney may be a really good OC for the right team, but not our team with BB coaching.

I also wondered if the POOOOOOR QB training and no second string QB was BB or Chaney.  Maybe now I can find out.

elksnort

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 22, 2015, 05:38:35 pm
I sat right next to CBB in a lounge/bar here in town. He's just a big guy. He's not as fat as everyone thinks.

Biggus Piggus

I just like a QB coach who is a QB not a lineman.
[CENSORED]!

longpig

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on January 22, 2015, 03:27:03 pm
You know, Chaney's obesity always bothered me.  People that big usually just aren't hard workers.
He isn't exactly a high motor guy, to say the least, has a nice rack though.
Don't be scared, be smart.

longpig

Quote from: Paul on January 23, 2015, 09:05:01 am
.   I was also disturbed by his laconic casual air in press conferences during our SEC losing streak.  Never saw any fire in him. Reminded me of JLS in that respect.
Same here,  stopped watching his interviews halfway through the season. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: elksnort on January 23, 2015, 04:58:09 pm
I sat right next to CBB in a lounge/bar here in town. He's just a big guy. He's not as fat as everyone thinks.

Let me clarify...I don't give a rats rear about the size of our coaches.  I just thought it was amusing that he was taking shots at Chaney on the way out when it's safe to say that BB isn't a pillar of fitness.  He looks like a lot of other 40 something's out there, but there will always be those who take shots.   ::)

Hogpkins

Quote from: longpig on January 23, 2015, 08:00:31 pm
He isn't exactly a high motor guy, to say the least, has a nice rack though.

Lol!

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on January 23, 2015, 04:17:32 pm

I never said I would turn on Enos. I don't see how it is possible for him to not be a better play caller than Chaney.

I will hold you to that

Augustus

My only questions are:

Regarding how Enos will mesh with the other Offensive Assistants... I think these are valid questions.

I did see today on the Finebaum show, where Bielema was talking about the process of hiring the new OC (not just Enos)... Coach B said "he took all of his Offensive Assistants with him, to interview the Candidate"

Coach B admitted in the interview that was an unorthodox approach, but he wanted to make sure that the next OC would be a fit with the existing staff.