Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Local Paper (Central Michigan) - "Enos Saved his Career Thursday"

Started by WizardofhOgZ, January 22, 2015, 01:49:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoggish1

From the article:
Enos led a program in a rural community undesirable to recruits to two bowl games and two barely winning seasons. The program was competitive and on a slightly upward trajectory. But he followed Brian Kelly and Butch Jones. So a slightly upward slow build wasn't going to cut it.
______
That program had an incredible run of good luck and nobody was going to improve on what the two before him did. 

He made a great move to us and we got a winning HC with so many positives to look forward to, including a young, attractive guy who will run an offense that CBB can get behind, fully...!

LR Hog

Good read and I completely agree with the points he made.  However, this article could have been written about 2/3 of the college coaches in America.  Let's hope Enos buys in Fayetteville and not Rogers.
Like a boss.

hogcard1964

hoglady

I have no concern over his head coaching record. (average at best).
If he was an all star head coach - he wouldn't be taking our OC job.
As long as he and Coach B are on the same page - this marriage will most likely work well. Happy that the guy most likely can help our QB's develop.
Looking forward to seeing our offense this fall.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Huckleberry Pig

Mike Irwin

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 22, 2015, 02:06:21 pm
No offense, but that author sounds a little butt hurt.
He probably could not care less. He's just writing what his readers want to hear. That's what sports journalism has become these days. Gotta keep the circulation up. If a coach quits find reasons why it's not a big deal that he's leaving. Fans don't want the media telling them, OH CRAP. THE COACH JUST LEFT. WE'RE SCREWED

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: hogcard1964 on January 22, 2015, 02:06:21 pm
No offense, but that author sounds a little butt hurt.

Well, I'll agree that he was plain-spoken and didn't pull any punches.  On the other hand, neither did we get the "feel good" spin we're sure to get from the NWA media.  And, I thought everything said in this article was "real world" and plausible.

That he didn't win 90% of his games at EMU, or that the clock was ticking on him there - in the context of how coaches come and go in that conference, as the article did a good job of explaining, IMO - it's fair to say that this move was a combination of a good opportunity and a chance to leave on his own terms before he may have been asked on EMU's terms.  Nothing to be ashamed of in saying that.  I'll bet a lot of the readers here have left jobs on good terms that may or may not have been there for them 6 mos. or a year later.  These things happen, even to very talented people.

Bottom line is that it did nothing to disuade or discourage me about the hire, and it did a good job of explaining why he might have been willing to look at a time when he appeared to have a pretty good team coming back next year. 

hoglady

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 22, 2015, 02:19:27 pm
He probably could not care less. He's just writing what his readers want to hear. That's what sports journalism has become these days. Gotta keep the circulation up. If a coach quits find reasons why it's not a big deal that he's leaving. Fans don't want the media telling them, OH CRAP. THE COACH JUST LEFT. WE'RE SCREWED

Mike - I missed you on "Game On" today.
Darn work got in the way.
Interested in your take on the hire.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

DeltaBoy

They are upset cause he was going Pro set instead of the Spread they had won so many games with under the previous 2 coaches.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HawgCan

The writer said he was one season away from being fired?  I doubt that!  CMU has 11 offensive starters returning and 9 on Def.  They probably would have been one of the better if not best in there conference.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 22, 2015, 01:53:26 pm
From the article:
Enos led a program in a rural community undesirable to recruits to two bowl games and two barely winning seasons. The program was competitive and on a slightly upward trajectory. But he followed Brian Kelly and Butch Jones. So a slightly upward slow build wasn't going to cut it.
______
That program had an incredible run of good luck and nobody was going to improve on what the two before him did. 

He made a great move to us and we got a winning HC with so many positives to look forward to, including a young, attractive guy who will run an offense that CBB can get behind, fully...!

And the Oscar for Best use of a double entendre in a Hogville post goes to...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: HawgCan on January 22, 2015, 02:29:15 pm
The writer said he was one season away from being fired?  I doubt that!  CMU has 11 offensive starters returning and 9 on Def.  They probably would have been one of the better if not best in there conference.

His lack of a contract extension was not helping his recruiting.
[CENSORED]!

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on January 22, 2015, 02:34:17 pm
And the Oscar for Best use of a double entendre in a Hogville post goes to...

Saw that, too.  Chuckled.  Thought better of posting it.  Kudos to you.

Kevin

i think it is the truth. MAC coaches win & get out, or just get out.
MAC is not where you go for a lot of years.

Enos made a smart decision.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

snoblind

Quote from: HawgCan on January 22, 2015, 02:29:15 pm

One losing season IIRC

Tusks

I watched the video in another thread of him miked up and the man can motivate and coach.  You either can or you can't and this guy can. 

I like that he has a spread background and wants to run a pro set offense. This will give the offense some wrinkles but not veer off from the core pro set foundation.

I really don't see the problem with running a subset of what kids will run in the pro's.  I think that is a good setup.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

JackJohnson

the part of the article that makes me so excited about the hire is this little sentence plucked in towards the bottom.  I am actually quite surprised he said this as the new HC isn't going to run an offense he doesn't believe in nor is familiar with running

"He made mistakes — changing the offense from the Jones/Kelly spread to the Dantonio pro-style"

In other words, he BELIEVES in what CBB BELIEVES in.  Chaney believed in the former so it was a square peg in a round hole.  Now we have the perfect fit

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

hogsanity

Lets see, HC at a middle tier MAC school, making $350K or move to the OC job at a SEC school, one that currently is getting lots of positive national press, increase my salary to maybe half a mil, and know I have a Sr Qb, 2 stud Rb's, a well stocked OL, some incoming talent at WR, a stud TE, and another one that is going to be a FR, and oh yea, I got Rp, and TS sitting on my bench, one is a RS FR and the other is likely to RS. Seems like a good move to me.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on January 22, 2015, 03:42:38 pm
Lets see, HC at a middle tier MAC school, making $350K or move to the OC job at a SEC school, one that currently is getting lots of positive national press, increase my salary to maybe half a mil, and know I have a Sr Qb, 2 stud Rb's, a well stocked OL, some incoming talent at WR, a stud TE, and another one that is going to be a FR, and oh yea, I got Rp, and TS sitting on my bench, one is a RS FR and the other is likely to RS. Seems like a good move to me.

Timing.  He is set up better than his predecessor to have much more success.  Looks like a smart career move by him. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

lrcentral

It's going to be run right, run left, then PA pass. HE might get crazy and call the PA pass on first down. This guy doesn't need to be Chip Kelly to succeed here. Run then run some more. Boom life long job security with CBB.

urkillnmesmalls

I don't know a lot about the guy, but I don't really feel like I need to.  To me, it's pretty simple. 

1.  Figure out some effective strategies to get teams from stacking 8-9 in the box, WHATEVER it takes. 

Thank you, 

All Hog fans who want to see us win next season

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

redneckfriend

Quote from: hogsanity on January 22, 2015, 03:42:38 pm

And, add to all that, you get to play Alabama, Auburn and LSU every dang year!

BadHog

"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

SquidBilly

Quote from: BadHog on January 22, 2015, 05:41:38 pm
Columnist sounds like a negative nelly

Actually to me it sounds like he understands why Enos made the move but is being careful not to offend his readers.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: hoglady on January 22, 2015, 02:21:53 pm
Mike - I missed you on "Game On" today.
Darn work got in the way.
Interested in your take on the hire.

Mike provided his usual "in-side" take. Nice opinions. Fair remarks. Did his usual "light bashing" of message board posters. Business as usual. To judge the media as they judge everyone else, nice job, but nothing earth-shattering.
Sorry.  ;)
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Kevin on January 22, 2015, 02:39:55 pm
i think it is the truth. MAC coaches win & get out, or just get out.
MAC is not where you go for a lot of years.

Enos made a smart decision.

Yep the MAC is a meat grinder on Coaches.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

hoglady

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 22, 2015, 08:21:35 pm
Mike provided his usual "in-side" take. Nice opinions. Fair remarks. Did his usual "light bashing" of message board posters. Business as usual. To judge the media as they judge everyone else, nice job, but nothing earth-shattering.
Sorry.  ;)

Thanks.
I thought he might be surprised Coach B went with someone who passes as much as Enos does.

Fayettechill14

Pro-style offenses typically don't work as well in the MAC. Spread is the way to go. So it's understandable that the fans didn't really like it. Still, he had some decent offenses.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: hoglady on January 22, 2015, 09:37:19 pm
Thanks.
I thought he might be surprised Coach B went with someone who passes as much as Enos does.

I didn't get to listen long, but Mike was funny when commenting about people who think Enos's offense will be like Chaney's. He said something along the lines of, "there's no way on God's green earth." Ha!
Always enjoy Mike's insight on that show.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

I hope he develops a second string QB to a point whereby there is a reasonable chance of him getting in a real game with the win in doubt.  I hope we have something to back up on if the original game plan starts to falter as often happens in the second half of games.  I hope he knows how to plan on getting WRs open and have the QB in position to find them with the ball.  I hope we can find time with only a week between games to train the backup QB.

Paul

Quote from: Bret Squealema on January 22, 2015, 08:12:19 pm
Actually to me it sounds like he understands why Enos made the move but is being careful not to offend his readers.
. Agree, but I think it was an honest appraisal of the move with a viewpoint from the other side.  Well written for the most part

flynhog

Doesn't matter now.  He's ours!  I'm certain CBB knows what he's doing. Can't wait to see him in action at the spring game.
Wins are the only things that matter when the game ends.  The mistakes that happen in the game are corrected by good coaching during the week. A season of near losses means you won every game.

DeltaBoy

I very happy we saved his career and got him down here on the HILL!

Sportster365

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 22, 2015, 02:19:27 pm

If there's any truth in it, I definitely would like to hear it from those supposedly who are in the know. Much so more than to be fed lies and propaganda. I'm a Razorback fan by the nature of being born in this state, so I'm going to support them come jail or high water. No matter how much I may or may not disagree with a coach, player or system or even try to detach myself by saying I'm not watching any more as long "XYZ" is at the helm, I always find myself staunched in the palm of their hands like a battered in women in an abusive relationship. Rehashing the fact that this is my team and these are my players and like it or not we're in it together.

So Mike I don't mind the media accentuating the positives, that's good a thing no one wants to hear all gloom and doom, but I find it to be quite insulting to your listeners and viewers to in turn ignore the negatives. Not only do I find it insulting I think it's poor journalism and manipulative. There's a reason why social media sites like this one, twitter, youtube, facebook etc, are getting far more hits than your traditional media outlets these days, because you got real people dishing out real information raw and uncut. It's why you've garnered so many new fans, it isn't because folk think you're some sort of "sports mind" and your analytical breakdown is just beyond comparison. Folks like you Mike for your willingness and courage to interact with the heart of the fanbase and people will respect your opinion whether they agree with you or not.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Sportster365 on January 26, 2015, 11:14:30 am
There's a reason why social media sites like this one, twitter, youtube, facebook etc, are getting far more hits than your traditional media outlets these days, because you got real people dishing out real information raw and uncut.

That's ONE of the reasons. 

But another is that - just like the idiots in the 1960's and 70's who used to dance around behind a guy doing a remote report just so they can "be on TV" (and, sadly, some folks STILL do this) - most people are fascinated that they can get their opinion (no matter how stupid or poorly thought out) in front of hundreds or thousands with no censorship.  The cost of all of this freedom is that the consumer of the information has to do a lot more work to ensure that the "news" they're getting is - in fact - TRUE.  You didn't have to worry much about that in the pre-internet era.  That is, if you followed and read well-known and reputable journalists.  because you KNEW that they would not report anything until they had verified it.

Sportster365

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on January 26, 2015, 03:24:27 pm
That's ONE of the reasons. 

But another is that - just like the idiots in the 1960's and 70's who used to dance around behind a guy doing a remote report just so they can "be on TV" (and, sadly, some folks STILL do this) - most people are fascinated that they can get their opinion (no matter how stupid or poorly thought out) in front of hundreds or thousands with no censorship.  The cost of all of this freedom is that the consumer of the information has to do a lot more work to ensure that the "news" they're getting is - in fact - TRUE.  You didn't have to worry much about that in the pre-internet era.  That is, if you followed and read well-known and reputable journalists.  because you KNEW that they would not report anything until they had verified it.

this is not necessarily a bad thing. It challenges people to dig deeper and not accept the first thing you hear at face value, because "so and so" said it.  And that's exactly where we were 25 years ago. The news media had a certain power to shape and curtail opinions and to some extent still do. But thanks to the internet and it's the information highway almost everyone can be fact checked nearly instantaneously through our digital footprints... everyone's watching  8)

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Bebop

I can see why some might be concerned about his HC record and why Central Michigan fans might be happy he is gone. However, I think we should be more concerned if he was going to be our head coach and not our offensive coordinator. Some coaches are better coordinators than head coaches.

The best thing we can do is give him a chance. I like the fact that he will be able to concentrate all his efforts into the offense and not have to worry about the other responsibilities like he would if he was the head coach. He comes from a good coaching tree that runs a pro-style offense. I think the fit is great and will mesh well.

Sportster365

Quote from: Bebop on January 26, 2015, 07:40:54 pm
I can see why some might be concerned about his HC record and why Central Michigan fans might be happy he is gone. However, I think we should be more concerned if he was going to be our head coach and not our offensive coordinator. Some coaches are better coordinators than head coaches.

The best thing we can do is give him a chance. I like the fact that he will be able to concentrate all his efforts into the offense and not have to worry about the other responsibilities like he would if he was the head coach. He comes from a good coaching tree that runs a pro-style offense. I think the fit is great and will mesh well.

It's just that aside from his HC stint at CMU, he's never been in any one place long enough to find any real patterns of success or failure. He's changed position coaching as well, so it makes him really hard to gauge as an assistant.  At Mich. St for example, he went from being a QBs coach to the RBs coach. Although it's not a major deal, its well worth noting. I like to think that if you have a guy doing well at one job why move him to another unless  you're promoting him and going from a QB coach to a RB coach is not a promotion imo

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Sportster365 on January 27, 2015, 09:00:39 am
At Mich. St for example, he went from being a QBs coach to the RBs coach. Although it's not a major deal, its well worth noting.

Not really. He was QB coach for John L. Smith. Mark Dantonio came in with his own hires. Enos had a leg up having worked with Dantonio before, but Dantonio's new offensive coordinator wasn't going to coach running backs. That was the job that was open.
[CENSORED]!

DeltaBoy