Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Connecting dots (Chaney/Enos)

Started by onebadrubi, January 22, 2015, 01:21:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

onebadrubi

Per Robbie Neiswanger, Enos will make 550K till 2018.  That is the same Chaney was making, just longer term.  Now connect dots!  I know Mike Irwin was one of the big proponents of wanting to see what both the new OC would make and what Chaney would make at Pitt.  Then came out the BA story about who wanted him to finish the Mizzou game and that something was between Bielema and Chaney late in 2014.  So what do you take away from giving the new OC the exact amount?  Did Chaney get pissed and leave because Robb Smith was given a raise and he wasn't?  It's obvious we could have extended his contract at the same salary, but was it offered?

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 22, 2015, 01:21:27 pm
Per Robbie Neiswanger, Enos will make 550K till 2018.  That is the same Chaney was making, just longer term.  Now connect dots!  I know Mike Irwin was one of the big proponents of wanting to see what both the new OC would make and what Chaney would make at Pitt.  Then came out the BA story about who wanted him to finish the Mizzou game and that something was between Bielema and Chaney late in 2014.  So what do you take away from giving the new OC the exact amount?  Did Chaney get pissed and leave because Robb Smith was given a raise and he wasn't?  It's obvious we could have extended his contract at the same salary, but was it offered?

gut says no, but that sounds like a good question for Mike or Doug or someone along those lines

Jim Harris

January 22, 2015, 01:23:33 pm #2 Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 01:57:50 pm by Jim Harris
I don't think it was all about money for Chaney. He has the opportunity at Pitt to run his own offense, total carte blanche.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

ricepig

Quote from: Jim Harris on January 22, 2015, 01:23:33 pm
I don't think it was all about money for Chaney. He has the opportunity at Pitt to run his own offense, total carte blanc.

Or carte blanche..

Hoggish1

I don't think it was all about money for Chaney. He has the opportunity at Pitt to run his own offense, total carte blanc.

Yep.  Good for him and good for us...

JackJohnson

I am ecstatic we were able to get him for 550k...which of course was a very nice raise for him.  IMO we got a considerable upgrade, at the same price.  Very nice

DeltaBoy

He is a well rounded young OC for us and a top recruiter ! Hiring him is a Win all the way around.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Calling All Hogs

Did we ever find out what Chaney is making at Pitt?

The_Iceman

If the offense starts to really shine, I'd expect him to also get a Robb Smith like raise and extension. Because if both the offense and defense are going, we will be a Top 15 team and money will be flowing into the program.

ricepig

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on January 22, 2015, 01:29:57 pm

We won't, it's a private school, I believe.

Jamie Jones

I don't care what they pay him. I'm just happy that Coach Enos is a Hog. If they needed to pay him more, I'm sure there would be someone, wealthier than I, that would have stepped up and wrote the check. I'm about winning games and having a good time watching the wins. Coach Bielema has a proven track record of putting pieces together to do that, and Coach Enos will likely be the same type piece.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

Mike Irwin

It's going to be interesting to see how a former head coach who is used to calling his own plays adapts to what Bielema wants. On the surface I don't see a big difference between Chaney's philosophy and Enos'. So is he going to be in for a big shock when he finds out that Bielema is not the run/pass balance guy that he says he is?

It could be that Bielema has looked at Enos' playbook and is satisfied that it contains more creative ways to run the ball than Chaney's. However I was told that Chaney had plenty of running plays that he never installed because he felt the personnel wasn't a fit for some of that stuff.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on January 22, 2015, 01:32:09 pm
We won't, it's a private school, I believe.

It was private but was adopted into the state system a long time ago.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PorkRinds

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 22, 2015, 01:35:41 pm
It's going to be interesting to see how a former head coach who is used to calling his own plays adapts to what Bielema wants. On the surface I don't see a big difference between Chaney's philosophy and Enos'. So is he going to be in for a big shock when he finds out that Bielema is not the run/pass balance guy that he says he is?

It could be that Bielema has looked at Enos' playbook and is satisfied that it contains more creative ways to run the ball than Chaney's. However I was told that Chaney had plenty of running plays that he never installed because he felt the personnel wasn't a fit for some of that stuff.

What proof of this is out there?  He's been pretty balanced so far, and was at Wisconsin.  Sure, if we can he will ram it down their throats till they like it, but what info is out there to say he doesn't want to have a balanced offense?

Mike Irwin

Quote from: ricepig on January 22, 2015, 01:25:42 pm
Or carte blanche..
And not Mel Blanc.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Deep Shoat

Chaney was looking before Smith got a raise.  He even threw his name in the hat for the TAMU WR job.  He wanted out, or was told to look elsewhere.
All Gas, No Brakes!

GalaHawg

I wonder if Enos has any screen plays in his playbook?

onebadrubi

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 22, 2015, 01:37:29 pm
What proof of this is out there?  He's been pretty balanced so far, and was at Wisconsin.  Sure, if we can he will ram it down their throats till they like it, but what info is out there to say he doesn't want to have a balanced offense?

I'm not sure what evidence says that Bielema is this RUN only guy.  I think if he had to pick a percentage at the beginning of the year it would be around the 55-60$ run and 40-45% pass.  That's right up this OC alley.  You want to say the Texas tech game is evidence, well BP would have done a very similar thing with a few runs sprinkled in. 

I think Chaney wanted a 50+% pass offense and my completely sourceful (same sources everyone else had on the OC hire) says Chaney wasn't getting an extension offered yet to match something similar to Smith and he saw a way out to a nice contracted income jump at Pitt.  But, Pitt also fits the bill that Bielema and long had connections too pick up the phone and get Chaney a job.  If Bielema within coaching circles has the rep that if you come work for me and it doesn't work out, I get you a job somewhere making competitive pay without going a day of unemployed, that can be a very good rep.  I just can not connect the dots to fit

Hog Pharm

Agreed. We haven't been balanced so far because we haven't had the personnel. Bielema has said on numerous occasions that his most successful teams were ones that ran and passed for 200 yards and I believe that is Brett's goal.

onebadrubi

Quote from: GalaHawg on January 22, 2015, 01:43:13 pm
I wonder if Enos has any screen plays in his playbook?

Gosh I hope so!  If we don't see one then we know it's a bielema thing and not Chaney.  I got so mad at times last year (UGA for instance) why we weren't running screens right over the rushing players heads. 

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Deep Shoat on January 22, 2015, 01:42:06 pm
Chaney was looking before Smith got a raise.  He even threw his name in the hat for the TAMU WR job.  He wanted out, or was told to look elsewhere.

It was the oline Job Chaney was rumored for

ricepig

Quote from: Deep Shoat on January 22, 2015, 01:42:06 pm

OL job.

Hogfan1660

Haven't you heard that we can't run a screen pass with our offensive line??? I hope the first Drive of the season we successfully run a screen! The good news is that our new OC has almost as many SEC wins as our former OC.

Deep Shoat

All Gas, No Brakes!

grayhawg

My biggest problem with Chaney was his inability or unwillingness to adapt to what the defence was doing. Under Chaney we were a good first series offence but when the defence adjusted seemed to me he was lost.

Mike Irwin

Proof? On several occasions after losses Bielema has complained about giving up on the run too soon, or getting "too cute" with the offense. More than once Chaney apologized for this on camera. Said he was going to have to do a better job calling the run game.

What Bielema calls a balanced offense is balanced in terms of total yards not pass plays vs run plays. I've made this point before. The passing game improved this past season. The run game pretty much stayed the same. I'm told that Bielema was not happy about that.

I'm not criticizing Bielema. It's what he believes in. I do think that Chaney thought there would be a little more give and take on the passing game than was the case.

It will be interesting to see how this works with Enos. Again, he's been a head coach. He's used to getting his way. How much will he have to adjust? Maybe a lot. Maybe not much at all.

Bielema may also have had the same QB development issues with Chaney that some of you complained about. The guy he just hired WAS a QB and a pretty good one.

kaki

Quote from: Hogfan1660 on January 22, 2015, 01:50:06 pm
Haven't you heard that we can't run a screen pass with our offensive line??? I hope the first Drive of the season we successfully run a screen! The good news is that our new OC has almost as many SEC wins as our former OC.
I think there is a good chance we will see the offensive line begin being more athletic.  With another year in the training program, Kirkland ,who has good footwork, but is a bit heavy and Tretola who needs to get lighter as well could be different players.  Wallace and Ragnow are more athletic types to add to the equation and the recruits coming in are not overly huge, so they may be more athletic.

Doug

Quote from: Jim HarrisHe has the opportunity at Pitt to run his own offense, total carte blanc.
Quote from: ricepigOr carte blanche..
Quote from: Mike IrwinAnd not Mel Blanc.
Quite possibly Montblanc, though.

[attachment deleted by admin]
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

bigbadhog

I have said from day one with BB that he is not the run/pass balance guy he says he is.  I have been called every name on Hogville for saying the same thing.  I was told in no uncertain terms that BB is a defense guy and doesn't limited his OC like Nutt did.  I guess now we know the truth... 
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

redeye

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 22, 2015, 01:21:27 pm
Per Robbie Neiswanger, Enos will make 550K till 2018.  That is the same Chaney was making, just longer term.  Now connect dots!  I know Mike Irwin was one of the big proponents of wanting to see what both the new OC would make and what Chaney would make at Pitt.  Then came out the BA story about who wanted him to finish the Mizzou game and that something was between Bielema and Chaney late in 2014. So what do you take away from giving the new OC the exact amount?  Did Chaney get pissed and leave because Robb Smith was given a raise and he wasn't?  It's obvious we could have extended his contract at the same salary, but was it offered?

I missed this.  Details?

onebadrubi

Quote from: redeye on January 22, 2015, 02:13:03 pm
I missed this.  Details?

Mike Irwin has said that there was a huge disagreement on whether to pull  BA or keep him in.  Mike has said he doesn't know which coach was on which side of that argument, but mike has said that his sources within the AD have said this was a big issue and did not go away.  Maybe he will elaborate.

Cresthog

Pretty sure any issues with personality would have been vetted with the interview process...

At least hopefully so. As long as I see less predictable reverses, more passes to RBs and better use of our TEs, I'll be extremely happy.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Cresthog on January 22, 2015, 02:16:44 pm
Pretty sure any issues with personality would have been vetted with the interview process...

At least hopefully so. As long as I see less predictable reverses, more passes to RBs and better use of our TEs, I'll be extremely happy.

These, and a less predictable 4th quarter collapse.  And a run game that doesn't stall out so much, forcing the pass in stead of setting up the pass.

Chief Mac

Quote from: bigbadhog on January 22, 2015, 02:12:00 pm
I have said from day one with BB that he is not the run/pass balance guy he says he is.  I have been called every name on Hogville for saying the same thing.  I was told in no uncertain terms that BB is a defense guy and doesn't limited his OC like Nutt did.  I guess now we know the truth... 

as has been state ad nauseum with you, Bielema wants balance from a yardage perspective not number of plays called.  Mike even just said it
Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 22, 2015, 01:56:15 pm

What Bielema calls a balanced offense is balanced in terms of total yards not pass plays vs run plays. I've made this point before.

also, Nutt only had one "OC" his whole time at Arkansas as he called those plays brotha
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Hawgfan27

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 22, 2015, 02:14:27 pm
Mike Irwin has said that there was a huge disagreement on whether to pull  BA or keep him in.  Mike has said he doesn't know which coach was on which side of that argument, but mike has said that his sources within the AD have said this was a big issue and did not go away.  Maybe he will elaborate.
Based on Coach B's stance on player safety don't you have to think he wanted to pull him?  Then again, the coach has the final say so it could be said it was the other way around and he stayed in despite protest from his OC. 

PorkSoda

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on January 22, 2015, 01:29:57 pm
Pitt does not release salary info, they are a private university
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

bigbadhog

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on January 22, 2015, 02:19:34 pm
as has been state ad nauseum with you, Bielema wants balance from a yardage perspective not number of plays called.  Mike even just said it

And "is Enos going to be in for a big shock when he finds out that BB is not the run/pass balance guy he CLAIMS TO BE?"  Read the post above...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

PorkRinds

Proof? On several occasions after losses Bielema has complained about giving up on the run too soon, or getting "too cute" with the offense. More than once Chaney apologized for this on camera. Said he was going to have to do a better job calling the run game.

What Bielema calls a balanced offense is balanced in terms of total yards not pass plays vs run plays. I've made this point before. The passing game improved this past season. The run game pretty much stayed the same. I'm told that Bielema was not happy about that.

I'm not criticizing Bielema. It's what he believes in. I do think that Chaney thought there would be a little more give and take on the passing game than was the case.

It will be interesting to see how this works with Enos. Again, he's been a head coach. He's used to getting his way. How much will he have to adjust? Maybe a lot. Maybe not much at all.

Bielema may also have had the same QB development issues with Chaney that some of you complained about. The guy he just hired WAS a QB and a pretty good one.

My issue with what you posted was that you presented it like CBB actually wants something different than he sells.  You wondered how this guy would feel once he finds out CBB isn't what he CLAIMS to be.  That sounded negative to me, and I just wondered what kind of info was out there that suggested he wasn't what he claims to be.

PorkSoda

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 22, 2015, 01:45:57 pm
Gosh I hope so!  If we don't see one then we know it's a bielema thing and not Chaney.  I got so mad at times last year (UGA for instance) why we weren't running screens right over the rushing players heads. 
I'm not sure we have the speed at online to run screen plays.  we have the heaviest oline in the country, which equates to 'not fast'
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Hawgfan27 on January 22, 2015, 02:20:06 pm
Based on Coach B's stance on player safety don't you have to think he wanted to pull him?  Then again, the coach has the final say so it could be said it was the other way around and he stayed in despite protest from his OC.
Player safety was not the issue. Brandon Allen was not seriously hurt. He had a deep bruise in the lower back on the right side which was painful. He was fine a few days later.

The issue was would Austin Allen have given Arkansas a better chance to score and tie the game up than Brandon who was trying to ignore the pain he was feeling.

Chief Mac

Quote from: bigbadhog on January 22, 2015, 02:23:13 pm
And "is Enos going to be in for a big shock when he finds out that BB is not the run/pass balance guy he CLAIMS TO BE?"  Read the post above...

Bielema has NEVER said he was balanced in terms of number of plays.  He has always stated that, at a minimum, he wanted 200yds passing and 200yds rushing per game.  Look it up

"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Mike Irwin

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 22, 2015, 02:24:53 pm
My issue with what you posted was that you presented it like CBB actually wants something different than he sells.  You wondered how this guy would feel once he finds out CBB isn't what he CLAIMS to be.  That sounded negative to me, and I just wondered what kind of info was out there that suggested he wasn't what he claims to be.
The proof is Jim Chaney. Chaney left because he did not have the freedom to use the passing game that he believed he would have when he was hired. I've been told this but really it's a no brainer.

Chief Mac

Mike, when has Bielema ever claimed to be a in favor of anything other than balance in terms of yardage?

onebadrubi

Quote from: Hawgfan27 on January 22, 2015, 02:20:06 pm

I think you are right on the first sentence and talked yourself out of it with the second but think about it this way.  Bielema want the Offense to be the OC's and the Defense to be the DC.  He's there for planning and coaching.  That being said, I want to believe the conversation in the headset might have been

Bielema: John, BA appears hurt, I'm getting austin warmed up. 

Chaney:Bret, I don't think he can get us down the field to score lets put it in BA's hands, he's tough and knows my play book better than anyone, i need him out there. 

Bielema: If you feel that way ok, but if he shows any signs of hurt we are pulling him. 

I could see that happening.  And even if it went bad, I don't see Bielema putting Chaney out to dry.  I got to believe Bielema is a player safety above all else coach. 

Kevin

i bet when you see pitt's offense next year, compare it to what he did at arkansas, the answer will be known.

don't care what propaganda the coaches put out, it is cbb's playbook, not chaney's.

by, watching some stuff on youtube, enos is more like cbb.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

dynastyhog

Quote from: bigbadhog on January 22, 2015, 02:12:00 pm

Chaney needed to be limited.  Time will tell if BB is going to be more balanced but I'd say if you don't like smash mouth football then watching the Hogs may not be your thing.
Life is too short to spend your precious time trying to convince a person who wants to live in gloom and doom otherwise. Give lifting that person your best shot, but don't hang around long enough for his or her bad attitude to pull you down. Instead surround yourself with optimistic people. - Zig Ziglar.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 22, 2015, 02:26:16 pm
Player safety was not the issue. Brandon Allen was not seriously hurt. He had a deep bruise in the lower back on the right side which was painful. He was fine a few days later.

The issue was would Austin Allen have given Arkansas a better chance to score and tie the game up than Brandon who was trying to ignore the pain he was feeling.
BA wasn't just hurt, he was in debilitating pain.  you could see it in how he carried himself and after every play.  He was not effective for at least a few series.  If AA wasn't ready to step in, that is the fault of the coaches.  It was a bowl game with more than enough practice time.

redeye

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 22, 2015, 02:14:27 pm

Very interesting.

Thanks to you and Mike!

onebadrubi

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 22, 2015, 02:25:04 pm
I'm not sure we have the speed at online to run screen plays.  we have the heaviest oline in the country, which equates to 'not fast'

I don't care, teams that can't run even run at sometimes.  Teams that can't pass even pass at sometimes.  If we used that to our advantage for a rb mid field screen in the UGA game, you would put Jwill and Alex 1 on 1 with a OLB or Safety.  That is a high percentage play when a team is blitzing the heck out of you like UGA was.  They were not scared of it at all so bad they were blitzing the CB every time! 

PorkRinds

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 22, 2015, 02:28:35 pm
The proof is Jim Chaney. Chaney left because he did not have the freedom to use the passing game that he believed he would have when he was hired. I've been told this but really it's a no brainer.

So just to be clear.  You're saying that Chaney left because CBB lied to him and told him he would be able to pass more than CBB actually intended to let him pass?