Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Michael Smith speculation

Started by SquidBilly, January 22, 2015, 11:21:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SquidBilly

New OC will be coaching QBs.  The only position with a coach without a new contract is WRs. 

Tim Harris

At this point I think he will be back.

Hopefully it is all cleared up soon.

ricepig

Quote from: Tim Harris on January 22, 2015, 11:21:59 am
At this point I think he will be back.

Hopefully it is all cleared up soon.

I wonder if he's been offered a 1 year extension and hasn't taken it? It has been perplexing, to say the least.

PorkRinds

His contract runs through June IIRC. I think they'll give him a new contract at some point before then.

Wildhog

I just don't understand why he didn't visit KJ last night.  At least I don't think he did.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on January 22, 2015, 11:25:46 am
I just don't understand why he didn't visit KJ last night.  At least I don't think he did.

I think he did before the bama visit.  I think the BLJ dinner with KJ was because he's likely got the best relationship with he and his family.  He's been working HARD to make relationships with these in state guys. 

ricepig

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 22, 2015, 11:25:06 am
His contract runs through June IIRC. I think they'll give him a new contract at some point before then.

According to Long, he's been given a new contract, or at least was in some various stage of discussion. I think we know in a matter of days, like 2.

Huckleberry Pig

with recruiting coming down to the wire we need something to happen soon, either extension or new guy comin in

Kevin

i don't think smith is leaving. i am glad, i think he does a very good job recruiting.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Wildhog

Quote from: Kevin on January 22, 2015, 11:41:05 am
i don't think smith is leaving. i am glad, i think he does a very good job recruiting.

Smith is a very solid recruiter.  I worry about his WR coaching, though.  Our route running was pretty consistently criticized this year.

It sucks that Thomas stayed.  Could have moved Smith to RB, where he's coached the majority of his career.  And you get rid of Thomas' dead weight in recruiting.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Tim Harris

Quote from: Wildhog on January 22, 2015, 11:42:16 am
Smith is a very solid recruiter.  I worry about his WR coaching, though.  Our route running was pretty consistently criticized this year.

It sucks that Thomas stayed.  Could have moved Smith to RB, where he's coached the majority of his career.  And you get rid of Thomas' dead weight in recruiting.

If he leaves it was crap but if he stays then we will just blame it on Chaney as well.

Wildhog

Quote from: Tim Harris on January 22, 2015, 11:43:25 am
If he leaves it was crap but if he stays then we will just blame it on Chaney as well.

Just throw it on the pile.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on January 22, 2015, 11:42:16 am

What will you say if Thomas lands this 5* super secret commit from California?

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 22, 2015, 11:45:06 am

"That's one."
1909/1964/1965/1977

Uncommon

Quote from: Wildhog on January 22, 2015, 11:43:58 am
Just throw it on the pile.
I think we've blamed our national debt on Chaney as well.  He's the new Thanks, Obama.

twistitup

Quote from: Uncommon on January 22, 2015, 11:45:33 am
I think we've blamed our national debt on Chaney as well.  He's the new Thanks, Obama.

And all elevator problems, it's just not fair
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 22, 2015, 11:45:06 am

Also, are we sure it's even JT that's on that super duper secret five star commit?

Who wanna give Wildhog a link say YEAH!
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on January 22, 2015, 11:48:17 am
Also, are we sure it's even JT that's on that super duper secret five star commit?

I think so.  Unless both CBB and Thomas have really been out to visit our solidly committed punter in the last week or so.

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 22, 2015, 11:49:03 am
I think so.  Unless both CBB and Thomas have really been out to visit our solidly committed punter in the last week or so.

You realize CBB is the best recruiter on staff, right?  I would probably hold off on giving JT too much of that credit.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Tim Harris

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 22, 2015, 11:49:03 am

The confusing part though is if it is Marshall like many assumed you would think Jennings would have went out there and not Thomas.

onebadrubi

Maybe Smith wanted to wait and see who was OC before he signed a new contract?  I think if that is the case we will see something by the end of business on friday.  If not soon, I would then start to worry. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: Tim Harris on January 22, 2015, 11:50:57 am
The confusing part though is if it is Marshall like many assumed you would think Jennings would have went out there and not Thomas.

Very true, unless it's about a relationship and not a position coach.  There's really no telling.  It's all guesswork.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on January 22, 2015, 11:49:44 am
You realize CBB is the best recruiter on staff, right?  I would probably hold off on giving JT too much of that credit.

C'mon.  If he lands a 5* that he's the lead on, he gets credit.  You can't just give his credit to CBB.  You wouldn't do that with any other coach.  Sure, CBB is the closer.  But he's the closer for EVERYONE'S recruits, not just Thomas.

davispard

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 22, 2015, 11:51:55 am
Very true, unless it's about a relationship and not a position coach.  There's really no telling.  It's all guesswork.
If it is Marshall. Thomas has been on him for 2 years...

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 22, 2015, 11:53:16 am
C'mon.  If he lands a 5* that he's the lead on, he gets credit.  You can't just give his credit to CBB.  You wouldn't do that with any other coach.  Sure, CBB is the closer.  But he's the closer for EVERYONE'S recruits, not just Thomas.

No, I'm saying we have no idea who the lead is.  All I heard was that CBB went out to Cali.  I'm not giving Joel Thomas credit for a five star for simply tagging along. 

If it comes out that Thomas was the guy that made this happen, I'll be happy to give him credit. 

Until then, he's been completely worthless as a recruiter.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: Wildhog on January 22, 2015, 11:48:17 am

Who wanna give Wildhog a link say YEAH!

Wildhog

Quote from: davispard on January 22, 2015, 11:55:09 am
If it is Marshall. Thomas has been on him for 2 years...

Fair enough.

Go Thomas!  Contribute for a change.  Do SOMETHING, you're making an assload of money.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on January 22, 2015, 11:56:00 am
No, I'm saying we have no idea who the lead is.  All I heard was that CBB went out to Cali.  I'm not giving Joel Thomas credit for a five star for simply tagging along. 

If it comes out that Thomas was the guy that made this happen, I'll be happy to give him credit. 

Until then, he's been completely worthless as a recruiter.

CBB went earlier, and Thomas is there today.  They both were supposedly visiting our punter commitment, just to be clear.  They aren't there together. And I'm not claiming anything just yet.  Just asking if you'd think more highly of him if he did work. 

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 22, 2015, 12:00:02 pm
CBB went earlier, and Thomas is there today.  They both were supposedly visiting our punter commitment, just to be clear.  They aren't there together. And I'm not claiming anything just yet.  Just asking if you'd think more highly of him if he did work. 

Of course I would.  It would just be such a departure from his norm I might keel over from the shock of it.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Well, BB obviously wanted Thomas to stay, so there's that......

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on January 22, 2015, 12:02:38 pm
Well, BB obviously wanted Thomas to stay, so there's that......

"Whatever CBB wants herp de derp"

:)
1909/1964/1965/1977

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Wildhog on January 22, 2015, 11:56:53 am
Fair enough.

Go Thomas!  Contribute for a change.  Do SOMETHING, you're making an assload of money.

I'm not sure I like our Chances with this super secret recruit if TJ is the main guy on him.

wildhogman

Quote from: Wildhog on January 22, 2015, 12:03:05 pm
"Whatever CBB wants herp de derp"

:)
I'll take what CBB wants over you anyday.  3 New D coaches last year and how did that workout?  Your becoming the new FCJ. 

DeltaBoy

Mike will be RB or something with this staff. I am not worried.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ricepig

Wildhog

Quote from: wildhogman on January 22, 2015, 12:09:24 pm
I'll take what CBB wants over you anyday.  3 New D coaches last year and how did that workout?  Your becoming the new FCJ. 

That was sort of an inside joke.  Of course I trust CBB.

Doesn't mean I don't have opinions.  And it's not an opinion that JT has been damn near worthless as a recruiter to this point. That's a fact.

Bringing in a five star from Cali would go a LONG way in changing that reputation.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: wildhogman on January 22, 2015, 12:09:24 pm

you wildhog's little bro?

btw that's a humorous post.  We all trusted CBB with Chaney and look how that worked out (now before you jump to conclusions, I'm a huge CBB fan).  CBB has hit his hires out of the park since then and I really like that he isn't afraid to make changes if it's not working.  I am a little surprised he kept Thomas around, must speak volumes to his actual coaching ability because up to this point he hasn't recruited worth a lick.

Wildhog

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on January 22, 2015, 12:30:17 pm

btw that's a humorous post.  We all trusted CBB with Chaney and look how that worked out.  Now he's hit his hires out of the park since then and I really like that CBB isn't afraid to make changes if it's not working.  I am a little surprised he kept Thomas around, must speak volumes to his actual coaching ability because up to this point he hasn't recruited worth a lick.

1909/1964/1965/1977

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: Wildhog on January 22, 2015, 12:32:12 pm

imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

oh and just pullin your leg here wildhogman, i don't sincerely believe you saw wildhog's name and copied it.  all in fun.

Fort Dweller

Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

wildhogman

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on January 22, 2015, 12:35:20 pm
imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

oh and just pullin your leg here wildhogman, i don't sincerely believe you saw wildhog's name and copied it.  all in fun.
I took this name on the HI board back when it was all free before he became paid by rivals I guess it is.  Don't remember the year but it was way back. I know cause I used to cheisel my post in stone and send em air mail on teradactyls.

jgphillips3

I suspect that some of the OC's we interviewed may have wanted to bring a right hand man with them whereas others did not care.  Therefore, CBB made the decision that HE wanted Thomas retained and Smith would have the ax fall if someone had to go. It may also be that some OC candidates wanted to coach WR and thus his position was iffy.  Regardless, unless Enos has a guy he wants to bring, I bet we see an extension for Smith soon.  I also bet Enos will be having dinner with KJ very soon.

Uncommon

Both Michael and Robb Smiths are flying down to Haynesville, LA to see Arizona LB commit Kendrick Jackson today. 

https://twitter.com/raginwildfire/status/558335472179904512

So I think he'll remain on staff.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on January 22, 2015, 11:24:54 am
I wonder if he's been offered a 1 year extension and hasn't taken it? It has been perplexing, to say the least.

Maybe he wanted to wait to see who the new OC was going to be. There are about a million different ways people can speculate on this.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Wildhog

Quote from: Uncommon on January 22, 2015, 01:03:32 pm
Both Michael and Robb Smiths are flying down to Haynesville, LA to see Arizona LB commit Kendrick Jackson today.  So I think he'll remain on staff.

Good deal.  He's a solid recruiter.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: wildhogman on January 22, 2015, 12:49:58 pm
I took this name on the HI board back when it was all free before he became paid by rivals I guess it is.  Don't remember the year but it was way back. I know cause I used to cheisel my post in stone and send em air mail on teradactyls.

+1 for the sense of humor.

now back to the topic at hand...

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 22, 2015, 11:51:45 am
Maybe Smith wanted to wait and see who was OC before he signed a new contract?  I think if that is the case we will see something by the end of business on friday.  If not soon, I would then start to worry. 

Sorry I didn't see your post before I posted mine of the same nature.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on January 22, 2015, 12:30:17 pm

Based on his username I'm thinking he's Wildhog's man........................not that there's anything wrong with that.  ;)