Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Would You Like The Idea Of An

Started by Sportster365, January 21, 2015, 12:11:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportster365

actual All-SEC team playing in a bowl? Instead of the Senior bowl or East vs West Shrine game, it could be an All-SEC team vs an All-PAC 12 team etc....

And if so, how could the NCAA make this work

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: Sportster365 on January 21, 2015, 12:11:41 pm
actual All-SEC team playing in a bowl? Instead of the Senior bowl or East vs West Shrine game, it could be an All-SEC team vs an All-PAC 12 team etc....

If they have no eligibility remaining (as in the Senior Bowl), why would the NCAA care?

Dropkick

Hogarusa

No- all star games are pointless and not good TV
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

CDBHawg

PorkSoda

Dont think it would be weird playing side by side people you just played in the championship game against, or have heated rivalries with?

All XXX teams are good for magazine articles, but not practical on the field.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkRinds

All the best SEC players will be getting ready for the NFL. 

longpig

Don't be scared, be smart.

longpig

Quote from: Sportster365 on January 21, 2015, 12:11:41 pm

Limiting the pool to a conference would make for a lot of filler on each roster.
Don't be scared, be smart.

Sportster365

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 21, 2015, 12:23:13 pm
Dont think it would be weird playing side by side people you just played in the championship game against, or have heated rivalries with?

All XXX teams are good for magazine articles, but not practical on the field.

I'd think it would be more meaningful than playing along side a guy from Michigan when you're from Mississippi. I think playing along side conf. affiliates would garner much more camaraderie than playing with a guy you probably know little or nothing about who's from a conference you probably care very little about.
Besides, it could bring some validity to the argument of which conference is #1.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 21, 2015, 12:23:37 pm

There are 22 SEC players getting ready for the NFL in this year's Senior Bowl.

PorkSoda

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on January 21, 2015, 12:45:02 pm
There are 22 SEC players getting ready for the NFL in this year's Senior Bowl.
so they wouldn't be able to play in both games.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 21, 2015, 01:06:42 pm
so they wouldn't be able to play in both games.

From the OP

Instead of the Senior bowl or East vs West Shrine game, it could be an All-SEC team vs an All-PAC 12 team etc

Vantage 8 dude

Believe it or not years ago (and now I'm REALLY dating myself) there was an All-Star game where the best players of the old SWC schools teamed up to play a collection of players from all other conferences. It's so long ago that I don't recall many of the details-I assume that these players had all just completed their senior seasons-but I do recall that it was an absolute wipe out for the SWC squad. They got mashed pretty good. Don't even recall is they buried that dog after just one game. Likely they did.

navyhog24

The guys that are going in high rounds would not play in these kinds of games to not risk getting injured before the combine. It's just too dumb for them to even play and risk it

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jm

I suspect that the NFL teams want to see how guys react when they are outside their comfort zone and playing with people they don't know at all.

rickm1976

Yep.  Forget about any top SEC players playing.

Wildhog

If you throw out the reasons that it won't happen, I'm all for it.  :)
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

hog golf

I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize

Sportster365

Quote from: Wildhog on January 21, 2015, 04:12:34 pm
If you throw out the reasons that it won't happen, I'm all for it.  :)

Explain why do you feel it wouldn't happen?

Sportster365

What athlete in any sport doesn't want to play in his sports All-Star game? On every level from pop warner to the pros. Some NFL guys would almost kill to get a pro-bowl selection to play in Hawaii/Arizona. NBA'ers who get selected to go down to Houston to compete in an NBA All-Star game almost covets the attention or to represent in a MLB All-Star cast is a huge accomplishment for a lot of players. The prestige that comes with the title alone would have players foaming at the chance to get selected. Especially so if they had an opportunity to showcase on a field in the lime-light instead of just being on some anonymous sheet of paper.

Hogarusa

Quote from: Sportster365 on January 23, 2015, 09:38:23 am
What athlete in any sport doesn't want to play in his sports All-Star game? On every level from pop warner to the pros. Some NFL guys would almost kill to get a pro-bowl selection to play in Hawaii/Arizona. NBA'ers who get selected to go down to Houston to compete in an NBA All-Star game almost covets the attention or to represent in a MLB All-Star cast is a huge accomplishment for a lot of players. The prestige that comes with the title alone would have players foaming at the chance to get selected. Especially so if they had an opportunity to showcase on a field in the lime-light instead of just being on some anonymous sheet of paper.

Andy Dalton, the 7th alternate, is going to the Pro Bowl this season.  I imagine playing in all star games get pretty dull once you have been a part of every all star team since the age of 5.

I think the bonus monies and the parties involved are key for the athletes. Recognition is great but all star games are well past their importance in sports
I'll ride the wave where it takes me