Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recruits In State

Started by jimmur74, January 19, 2015, 12:45:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmur74

I wish coach B would state Its a privilege to play for your state university. If you want to play games with us go play elsewhere.

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Großer Kriegschwein

He pretty much already has. But we'll see how it plays out with KJ. We have some very talented receivers on the hill right now with Cornelius, Robinson, Hatcher, Stewart (committed). They are on Twitter mentioning that we are already very talented at that position and we'll see it next year.
This is my non-signature signature.

WooPig90

Hoggish1

If you have talent, apply it to your people and add your talents to the resources of others with goals that you can believe in and contribute to.

Why would anyone leave their state and play for another state's school, unless they seek validation from outside their personal power base or source.

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: jimmur74 on January 19, 2015, 12:45:08 pm
I wish coach B would state Its a privilege to play for your state university. If you want to play games with us go play elsewhere.

They have cable, the internet, and satellite where I live. I just about bet KJ has those tools at his disposal as well. This isn't 1977 any longer. Kids have access to every program in the country. Playing for the home state isn't the draw it once was. Backwood statements like that are unproductive at best.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

greenie

January 19, 2015, 02:14:30 pm #6 Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 03:21:33 pm by greenie
I sure hope Agim, Capps and other 2016 in-staters are not watching this KJ Hill flameout.  I guess it's to be expected, but just something else we'll have to overcome in recruiting in-state players. 

Stay calm, people, and please watch watch you say publicly.

Großer Kriegschwein

Decommitted and Reopened his recruiting within 2 days of the vote for full price of attendance to include travel back and forth.
This is my non-signature signature.

popcornhog

Jesus Christ. You know nothing about why KJ de-committed. He should do what's best for him. I hope to God that Arkansas is that place, but folks like you damage our image in the minds of recruits.

Disgusting.
WPS

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 19, 2015, 01:48:42 pm
If you have talent, apply it to your people and add your talents to the resources of others with goals that you can believe in and contribute to.

Why would anyone leave their state and play for another state's school, unless they seek validation from outside their personal power base or source.
Why do some people drink coke and other's pepsi? We don't all like the same things.  Aren't you glad jimmy whitt doesn't feel like you do, and he agreed to leave his state to play for a conference competitor?

popcornhog

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 19, 2015, 01:48:42 pm

I went to undergrad at the UA because it was where I wanted to go.

I had friends that went to school all over the country for any number of reasons, some better than others -- girls, academic pestige, to serve in the military, to get far away from their parents, to stay near their parents, cost of living, proximity to major airports, and many more.

No kid that grew up in Arkansas owes the UA anything. It's on the coaching staff to make the UA the most desirable place for these kids. They're doing a pretty good job in my opinion.
WPS

nchogg

His father posted a response for him. I agree what his father says about the fan base and their post for the most part. This is probably why the moderators have tried to keep the negative comments about coaches and players off this board. It is the minority that make these comments with no face. You should read some of the comments from other forums that do not monitor their post. They allow any language and attacks on a persons integerity when they have never met the person they comment about. We as fans need to support our coaches, players and recruits at all costs. One reason I like this site is because most members are level headed and support recruits if they are a Razorback or not. Hogville should be above the rest. Go Hogs!

DeltaBoy

He is waiting to see who our OC is.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

greenie

Quote from: nchogg on January 19, 2015, 03:22:55 pm
His father posted a response for him. I agree what his father says about the fan base and their post for the most part. This is probably why the moderators have tried to keep the negative comments about coaches and players off this board. It is the minority that make these comments with no face. You should read some of the comments from other forums that do not monitor their post. They allow any language and attacks on a persons integerity when they have never met the person they comment about. We as fans need to support our coaches, players and recruits at all costs. One reason I like this site is because most members are level headed and support recruits if they are a Razorback or not. Hogville should be above the rest. Go Hogs!

^^^ This.  I couldn't have said better.

MJ2

It still amazes me that schools have to "recruit".   Seem like you would simply say we have 25 openings, send us your resume and info on why YOU want to be a Hog.   We'll get back with you.    That way you only end up with people wanting to play there and you don't spend millions going all over the country to only be rejected in the end.

ricepig

Quote from: MJ2 on January 19, 2015, 03:47:09 pm
It still amazes me that schools have to "recruit".   Seem like you would simply say we have 25 openings, send us your resume and info on why YOU want to be a Hog.   We'll get back with you.    That way you only end up with people wanting to play there and you don't spend millions going all over the country to only be rejected in the end.

That's the Texas way, or used to be, except they used a service to send in the "resumes."

Atlhogfan1

Recruiting season brings to the forefront the absurdity of major college sports especially football and basketball.  You can kind of ignore it during the season.  Universities are offering full scholarships, and now possibly more to kids, some of whom wouldn't even be considered for admission otherwise let alone a scholarship.  And some kids making their choice based on what they see as essentially a "minor league" program to prepare them for a possible pro career that will last a fraction of their lifetime. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Torqued pork

When you have the top-rated player in a position of need decommit this close to signing day it's going to cause concern and upset some fans. It doesn't help that the state produces such little SEC talent that there is almost always a sizable drop off with Plan B.

DoctorSusscrofa

Most of these D1 athletes are more sophisticated negotiators than most fans realize.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

You could do that, and every few years or so you would win a game.

Sweet Pea

I'm guessing Coach B read all of the kids tweet. He's gone. Good luck son.

Hoggish1

Quote from: popcornhog on January 19, 2015, 03:13:46 pm
I went to undergrad at the UA because it was where I wanted to go.

I had friends that went to school all over the country for any number of reasons, some better than others -- girls, academic pestige, to serve in the military, to get far away from their parents, to stay near their parents, cost of living, proximity to major airports, and many more.

No kid that grew up in Arkansas owes the UA anything. It's on the coaching staff to make the UA the most desirable place for these kids. They're doing a pretty good job in my opinion.

Correct. 

We are on the way up.  This is the place a top player should want to play, especially one who is from the state where the fans are loyal and most passionate.

For those of you that feel that Arkansas students owe it to the UofA to go there, does that apply to non-athletes?  What about a really bright kid with great scores that can go to Harvard or Stanford?  Are they wrong for taking their talents away from the UofA and out of state?

I'm generally interested in your opinion on this topic if you feel it is "wrong" for an athlete to leave the state.

ricepig

Quote from: Karma on January 19, 2015, 04:46:01 pm
For those of you that feel that Arkansas students owe it to the UofA to go there, does that apply to non-athletes?  What about a really bright kid with great scores that can go to Harvard or Stanford?  Are they wrong for taking their talents away from the UofA and out of state?

I'm generally interested in your opinion on this topic if you feel it is "wrong" for an athlete to leave the state.

Did this student commit to the UofA, only to change his/her mind two weeks from enrollment? But seriously, do you see this as a comparable question?

DoctorSusscrofa

It's fine for either athlete or student to choose to go out of state. But loyalty does count for something and we should be most loyal to those who raise our own institutions higher. Those who seek the out of state opportunities should recognize that choices matter and decisions have consequences. And sometimes those consequences are bright, and sometimes not. I don't wish ill for those who leave, but I wish the greatest success for those loyal to Arkansas and I pledge greater support for them.

gawntrail

Nope.  Every kid should do what is best for his/her future.

That being said, a student seeking a top flight education in a narrow field is different than a top flight athlete being recruited to top flight FB or BB schools.  Neither more important than the other.

The bottom line is the same, but, those are very different scenarios.

Torqued pork

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 19, 2015, 04:36:24 pm
Correct. 

We are on the way up.  This is the place a top player should want to play, especially one who is from the state where the fans are loyal and most passionate.
I like Bielema, but Arkansas football is still looked at as a program that doesn't win championships. It matters.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Torqued pork on January 19, 2015, 05:04:00 pm
I like Bielema, but Arkansas football is still looked at as a program that doesn't win championships. It matters.

Few do...few will. 
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

reddogjcss

He pulled his commitment I say pull his offer. Got lots of talented WR on campus.
With new OC you'll see more utilization of them.

redeye

Quote from: greenie on January 19, 2015, 02:14:30 pm
I sure hope Agim, Capps and other 2016 in-staters are not watching this KJ Hill flameout.  I guess it's to be expected, but just something else we'll have to overcome in recruiting in-state players. 

Stay calm, people, and please watch watch you say publicly.

The sad thing here is that the "flameout" you mentioned is really about us fans.  We think of it as KJ and our coaches, but in reality we're the one's making all the noise, and according to KJ's father, we're the one's who pissed him off.

This is what sucks the most about losing instate recruits.  It's really not the huge deal we make it out to be, but we act like war has been declared someone in Razorback Land and it's not beneficial to anyone.

Inhogswetrust

It's privilege to play for ANY college football team no matter where and what state they are located in.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: gawntrail on January 19, 2015, 04:59:27 pm

That being said, a student seeking a top flight education in a narrow field is different than a top flight athlete being recruited to top flight FB or BB schools.  Neither more important than the other.

Not all college majors are "narrow" fields. There are over a thousand that offer business, education, engineering and other  degrees for example. Higher rated ones in a category recruit and vet potential students just like athletic departments.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: reddogjcss on January 19, 2015, 05:27:11 pm
He pulled his commitment I say pull his offer. Got lots of talented WR on campus.
With new OC you'll see more utilization of them.

I'm betting IF an out of state top athlete committed somewhere else suddenly decommitted everyone on here would jump through hoops to try to get them to sign with Arkansas.

luke hawg

Winning end all the in state recruiting drama

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 19, 2015, 05:41:08 pm
I'm betting IF an out of state top athlete committed somewhere else suddenly decommitted everyone on here would jump through hoops to try to get them to sign with Arkansas.

Not everybody. I expect those who decommit will be likely to transfer if unhappy. Give me the guys who commit to UA first. Let the decommits play somewhere else.

Quote from: gawntrail on January 19, 2015, 04:59:27 pm

It's not a different scenario. Kids picking college that best fits them. The difference is that most don't care where a smart business or engineering student go, but freak out over an athlete.

Temprees

Quote from: ricepig on January 19, 2015, 04:50:34 pm
Did this student commit to the UofA, only to change his/her mind two weeks from enrollment? But seriously, do you see this as a comparable question?
Did things change at the U of A since the student committed?

ricepig

Quote from: Temprees on January 19, 2015, 06:37:22 pm
Did things change at the U of A since the student committed?

Nope, the Dean is still employed.

jfred59

Quote from: popcornhog on January 19, 2015, 03:09:32 pm
Jesus Christ. You know nothing about why KJ de-committed. He should do what's best for him. I hope to God that Arkansas is that place, but folks like you damage our image in the minds of recruits.

Disgusting.

Do you know for sure?

jackflash

If he was my son would want him to go where he wanted. Hope we get all the kids instate that can complete for a SEC Title. I have always believe our outstate recruiting is just as important as instate. If a instate choose to leave as long as we can get one from another state we would be fine.

OTTER

Man, it's time to let all this rest.  KJ may still be a Hog, or he may not.  Our coaching staff will do everything under the rules to keep him.  Relax, take a deep breath, and let this play out, regardless of the outcome, on signing day.
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

ricepig

Quote from: OTTER on January 19, 2015, 06:48:44 pm
Man, it's time to let all this rest.  KJ may still be a Hog, or he may not.  Our coaching staff will do everything under the rules to keep him.  Relax, take a deep breath, and let this play out, regardless of the outcome, on signing day.

I'm sure if he'd name an OC, or at least a LB coach for us to bitch about, we'd drop it, lol.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: nchogg on January 19, 2015, 03:22:55 pm
Link for dad's post?

GolfnHog

Whether those that are berating and acting like petulant children are hog fans or imposters it only shows the level of immaturity and stupidity  of living vicariously through teenage athletes.

I would surmise that most of those that are blasting him on social media are probably on the short end of the gene pool but align their lives with every thing Arkansas football and couldn't "think" to use their brains before engaging their mouths and fingers.

He only opened up his recruitment again so I give CBB and this staff equal or greater odds of getting him back, if they so choose. Those complaining about the choosing the hats etc....well that is media driven for advertising dollars & ratings. The kids that are "prostituted" for that moment and are pawns in the game of college recruiting and they get their 15 minutes of fame before national audiences. Both sides of the equation created the dynamics of the pandering.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

popcornhog

WPS

jfred59

Quote from: popcornhog on January 19, 2015, 07:45:40 pm
Know what?

Why he decommited?   Seemed that  your response to someone about them not knowing that you may have.  I mean this with all due respect to you

DeltaBoy

I want to return to the time when 98% of Football Player were like us. We said if the Hill called we would crawl to get there and sleep in the AG barn just to wear that Hog Helmet. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

acepoker

I think most fans are mad because he committed before he was "committed" and then reopened recruiting. If he chose another school first or hadn't committed anywhere, the fans would be fine. With that being said, parents should be aware the word fan is short for fanatic

OGR69

Having a son being recruited-he and I have talked.  I follow him on twitter-note FOLLOW.  He knows he will see/read/hear good and bad from fans.  For this reason he has an account only for coaches/recruiters-no fans or other players.  He selects who follows him on this account and his "fun" account.
The kids are getting all the followers for the "fame" of it.  They have to know that by upsetting fans they will hear the gripes and negativity from the few, but they loved it when those same fans were showering them with love, what did he expect to happen?

Fatty McGee

Quote from: ricepig on January 19, 2015, 04:50:34 pm

We all know those commitments aren't binding either way. That's a meaningless statement.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!