Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

An Open Letter to Trey Flowers

Started by Steef, December 07, 2014, 06:56:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Steef

You stayed.

You could have gone pro last year. But you stayed.

You believed in Coach. You believed in your team. You believed in yourself.

You wanted to put our program back on track. You gave your spirit to that effort and it showed in every game. Even the losses. Even the Georgia game, when no one gave up. No one gave up.

I've been a Hog fan for over half a century and THIS SEASON...is my favorite. By a wide margin. Better than the sixties. Better than the seventies.

And you gave an extra year of your life to make that happen.

You've probably already been told, or may have already known, but there is NO team in college football that Hogs hate more than Texas. Nobody. And we don't even get to play them often.

And last time we played them, they beat us by forty points.

Go beat 'em for me, will ya kid? For Arkansas.

For yourself.

You did this. This is yours. And your team.

Thank you.

Oklahawg

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Wild Boarnado

Awesome! I'd sign that! Great letter, OP.

WPS!!!!
"Cry 'SOOIE!,' and let slip the Hogs of War!" ~William ShakeSqueal

When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself. ~Dr. Wayne Dyer

Dark Helmet Hog

jgphillips3

Uncommon

December 07, 2014, 07:52:35 pm #6 Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 09:36:41 pm by Uncommon
Agree 100%.  In the future when someone will bring up the 2014 Arkansas Razorbacks who went 6-6, it won't be the close losses or the ones that got away that will be what I remember.  It will be the persevering heart and soul of the team that I will remember.  Players with unselfish passion for the program like Trey Flowers and Martrell Spaight are uncommon these days.  Was a privilege to see those two lead this team this year through that gruesome schedule week in and week out.

Hope Keon Hatcher, Darius Philon, and Jonathan Williams do the same next year.  Too close to breaking through for key players to be leaving early.

Hogmania68

All I can say is WOW!!!!   What a great Post

BorderPatrol

reddogjcss

Birminghog

December 07, 2014, 08:28:05 pm #10 Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 12:24:54 am by Birminghog
I'm with you, Uncommon.  Thanks.

JRHoward

Thank You Trey!  God Speed!   :razorback:  ::hornsdown::  :razorback:
Woooo Pig!

snoblind

RockyMtnHog

All I can say is this is a fantastic post.

Thanks Trey for your leadership in leading this team.  You and the other seniors have really shown your Razorback Spirit throughout your career.

Now go "Beat Texass"!
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

PorcineSublime

Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Thanks Trey! You are a true Hog and make be proud to be one too. :razorback:

Razorbacker79

Great post! :razorback:

There is no one with greater heart than Trey Flowers (altho I think Martrell Spaight comes pretty close)!  He deserves all of the appreciation that comes his way.  It's almost like he was there when we were still in the SWC and "Texas Week" on campus was a big deal.
Turn up that damn jukebox!!

hogs24

Quote from: Buff on August 04, 2013, 01:34:19 pm

I am THIS close to raping you right now. 

LSUFan

Damn, simply damn!

Trey = Tha Beast!

Steef = Tha Man!
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

Harley_Hawg

+1, 000, 000 :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: ::hornsdown::

BluegrassRazorback

Quote from: steefhog on December 07, 2014, 06:56:36 pm
You stayed.

You wanted to put our program back on track. You gave your spirit to that effort and it showed in every game. Even the losses. Even the Georgia game, when no one gave up. No one gave up.

I've been a Hog fan for over half a century and THIS SEASON...is my favorite. By a wide margin. Better than the sixties. Better than the seventies.

You've probably already been told, or may have already known, but there is NO team in college football that Hogs hate more than Texas. Nobody. And we don't even get to play them often.

For yourself.

Thank you.

This!  As an older fan - it would do me great joy to know. A new generation of SEC Battle Hardened Razorbacks moped the floor with texas

And they were led by Trey Flowers

Texas will not respect you - so go get your respect and mud stomp texas

Doug

I made sure to tag him on Twitter to hopefully call his attention to this.

He's one of a handful of players that experienced the absolute BEST this program offered, went through one of the darkest times in the history of Razorbacks Football, only to help lay the foundation of the resurgence and relevancy of the Razorbacks.

Yeah, I'm right there with Steef in appreciating not only Trey, but all of the True and RS Seniors that have stuck through all of these crazy times, thick and thin.

EDIT: Trey not only saw it, he retweeted it. :)
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

BigPapaHawg

Good Job! Awesome post!
Go get'em Trey!
WOO PIG

WoodyHog

Definitely thankful that Trey returned and has led this team with his work ethic and commitment, but I think we can all agree that this team has entire classes of seniors and juniors who show extraordinary commitment and drive in the face of adversity.  Most of these kids won't go on to the NFL, like Trey hopefully will, but they can get a degree, and live the rest of their lives knowing that they made a positive impact on the state we all love (sorry if this is coming across as overdramatic - but its TRUE!)

Birminghog

Quote from: Doug on December 07, 2014, 10:35:37 pm
I made sure to tag him on Twitter to hopefully call his attention to this.

He's one of a handful of players that experienced the absolute BEST this program offered, went through one of the darkest times in the history of Razorbacks Football, only to help lay the foundation of the resurgence and relevancy of the Razorbacks.

Yeah, I'm right there with Steef in appreciating not only Trey, but all of the True and RS Seniors that have stuck through all of these crazy times, thick and thin.

EDIT: Trey not only saw it, he retweeted it. :)

Very cool.  Good job, Doug.

Victom

goodguytex

Awesome post Steef and thank you for doing that! Doug pretty much gave my thoughts on this too. Flowers could have taken the easy road, like other Hogs before them did, taken the NFL millions and gone pro. He saw unfinished business needing to be done at Arkansas, and came back and fixed what was broken. He led the way in helping to clean up the mess left behind from 2012 and 2013. He led the way in restoring pride in Razorback football. And for that, Trey Flowers will always be one of my favoriteRazorback players of all time.

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

SoonerSooie

I sign this, with gusto, and appreciation!

HAWG MAFIA

Incredible letter!!!
Flowers is one of my all time favorite Hogs

Hoggy Hogalot

Nothing but the to best to you Trey Flowers!!! WPS

KCHOGFAN

smb

Quote from: steefhog on December 07, 2014, 06:56:36 pm
You stayed.

For yourself.

Thank you.
I'm a hog fan! And I approve this message!
They say sometimes it takes a great person to finish college rather than go to the NFL right away. So Trey it has been fun watching you grow as a hog and look foward to your career in the NFL. Thanks for the memories.
GeorgiaHOG

Pickeledpigfeet

Absolutely!!! Trey you were the light that led this team out of the darkness. Ive been a hog fan for as long as i can remember, Im 52, and you are one of the very few players that I never worried if you were going go have a great game. You stayed  to lead this team when you didnt have to. You taught this team to compete. The future success of this team will be built on the foundation you and the other seniors set this year! When I tell my grandchildren about legendary hog football players, you will be there! Thanks for this year Seniors!
Get off the Gus bus....Get on the Bret Jet !!!!!

The NewEra

Trey Flowers = "Uncommon Man"

You took the leadership role in taking a defense that was among the worst in the country and helped make it one of the best.  And, you did it with class, dignity and all the while showing the younger guys what true commitment to a process really looks like.

Thanks for everything young man!  You will forever be one of our most respected Hogs!!

Amityvillehogger

Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

old_school_hawg

Here, Here!!!! Thank you Mr. Flowers. Your selflessness and sacrifices will not be forgotten. You will be rewarded in life for your character and integrity...win this one for the glory and good luck with your professional career!
"I tried being reasonable. I didn't like it."-Clint Eastwood

"Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Huds_HawgTide

All of HOGNATION loves you Trey! You did work this year and never gave up and always, always held your head up high!
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

LSUFan

Quote from: Doug on December 07, 2014, 10:35:37 pm
And he could have easily walked, but didn't. Tells me the man has honor in his blood.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

opineonswine

ldfergu

Good job OP. Be nice for current recruits to see tgis

Hog1952

Post of the year.
Thanks to Spaight and the rest of seniors also!!  Truly a year I'll always remember.

Pigsknuckles

Wow...I read this thread this morning when there was only one response, and decided nothing I could say could add anything to the spirit of the OP's message. Been following all day, and just did not want to left out of a truly historic thread. I can't think of a moment that I have been prouder to be a Razorback.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

hawgbawb

Great post, Steef. Trey Flowers is a true Razorback.
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

LightHog

As a 50+ year Hog fan also, I could not agree more.  Thanks Trey, and beat Texas!

Medic821

Amen, for ever a hog and ARKANSAN #WPS

lahawg1

RazorBassin

DEVICEHIGH

December 08, 2014, 10:39:08 pm #49 Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 10:50:54 pm by DEVICEHIGH
They never yielded.
Hillbilly? I prefer Appalachian American