Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Garrison Brooks article on Whole Hog Sports

Started by Hawg Red, July 22, 2016, 07:35:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawg Red

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/jul/22/arkansas-clear-in-pursuit-of-alabama-fo/

Trying not to get too excited in the face of caution. But, man, this kid would could take us to another level when combined with all of the other future pieces we currently have and could potentially have. A twin tower pairing of him and Gafford has me salivating. But there's always a catch -- his dad is an assistant for Ben Howland at Mississippi State. Sounds like the Hogs have their fans within the family (uncle played for Mike at UAB and grandma is a big CMA fan), but history tells us the kid will follow dad. I can't think of an instance for a D1 prospect with a father as a D1 coach has gone somewhere else out of high school. I would love for someone to show me some contrary evidence (mean that).

The way he talks about the Razorback program goes beyond typical recruit-speak. His comments show that he is aware of the caliber of players already committed in this recruiting class (thinks if he committed we would have the #1 class). I'm hoping that he loves his family but wants to get out on his own for this experience.

Razorod

I'm with you Hawg Red. Hope we don't put all of our eggs into this basket for the fourth scholarship. At the end of the day, hard not to see him signing with MSU.

On the other hand, if we do miss here, given the class distribution, I wouldn't be opposed to a juco big in the spring. I'd rather that than a project HS, especially with all the bigs we're in on with the 2018 class.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

navyhog24

This guy would be nice to pair with Gafford. Since Daniel has more of a defensive prowess at the moment, this kid would be a nice complement since he more a better offensive skillset until Daniel can develop that as well.

nwahogfan1

Lets hope he will fall in love with our facilities and our players when he arrives on his visit.  This is where our new practice facility should pay off.

WOW.  If Garrison came on board it could make this a top 5 recruiting class.  This has got me excited because Garrison as a long athletic 6'9  could play the stretch 4 and also the 5 at times.  Be a great fit. 

Woo Pigs   

azhog10

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on July 22, 2016, 07:59:11 am
Lets hope he will fall in love with our facilities and our players when he arrives on his visit.  This is where our new practice facility should pay off.

WOW.  If Garrison came on board it could make this a top 5 recruiting class.  This has got me excited because Garrison as a long athletic 6'9  could play the stretch 4 and also the 5 at times.  Be a great fit. 

Woo Pigs   
But he's not 6'10 240......

King Kong

July 22, 2016, 08:52:57 am #5 Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 11:46:19 am by King Kong
Mike Bibby went to Zona and his Dad Henry was the coach at USC.

Not sure this is the best example as they literally had no relationship with each other when Mike was growing up

hogwood

Excellent news. I think the staff is clearly putting in more work to land these kids. Going to every game for all of July? Impressive. Sounds like we have a real shot, especially the way he talks about our class. If his heart was set on playing for his dad at MSU, he'd be committed already. Obviously he is still open.

Hard to say that we would be #1, but if we get Brooks I think we could definitely be in the top 15. I also hope that staff keeps recruiting Sidibe hard, he is a great prospect who I could really see thriving here.

Letsroll1200

If we can pull in the Brooks kid to go along with a good outside shooter this class will be very good.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Razorod on July 22, 2016, 07:41:58 am
I'm with you Hawg Red. Hope we don't put all of our eggs into this basket for the fourth scholarship. At the end of the day, hard not to see him signing with MSU.

On the other hand, if we do miss here, given the class distribution, I wouldn't be opposed to a juco big in the spring. I'd rather that than a project HS, especially with all the bigs we're in on with the 2018 class.

If we miss out on all of our targeted bigs in the early signing period, taking a juco would seem like the best play. That way, in 2 years, that scholly will be open for all of the talent instate for 2018. I don't want to see a single high D1 guy get away in that class.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 22, 2016, 07:35:40 am
http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/jul/22/arkansas-clear-in-pursuit-of-alabama-fo/

Trying not to get too excited in the face of caution. But, man, this kid would could take us to another level when combined with all of the other future pieces we currently have and could potentially have. A twin tower pairing of him and Gafford has me salivating. But there's always a catch -- his dad is an assistant for Ben Howland at Mississippi State. Sounds like the Hogs have their fans within the family (uncle played for Mike at UAB and grandma is a big CMA fan), but history tells us the kid will follow dad. I can't think of an instance for a D1 prospect with a father as a D1 coach has gone somewhere else out of high school. I would love for someone to show me some contrary evidence (mean that).

The way he talks about the Razorback program goes beyond typical recruit-speak. His comments show that he is aware of the caliber of players already committed in this recruiting class (thinks if he committed we would have the #1 class). I'm hoping that he loves his family but wants to get out on his own for this experience.

Hire his damn dad now!

FineAsSwine

Quote from: The Hogfather on July 22, 2016, 12:39:17 pm
Hire his damn dad now!

Yes, and some sort of official role for his uncle and grand ma as well! No need in half-stepping.

azhog10

Quote from: FineAsSwine on July 22, 2016, 02:04:25 pm
Yes, and some sort of official role for his uncle and grand ma as well! No need in half-stepping.
Is she 6'10 and 240? If not not sure NWA would approve.....

jry04

I wouldn't hold your breath on Brooks. Sounds like he was just telling the Arkansas media what they wanted to hear.

Here is an article from outside of the Arkansas media, and there is no mention of us. I may be wrong, but I personally think if he is truly interested in us he would tell non-Arkansas people that when he mentions 5 or 6 other teams in the same interview, too.

http://www.hoopseen.com/news/event/201607/las-vegas-day-one-wabissa-bede-puts-show

He mentioned quite a few teams he talks to a lot, and then goes on to say he plans on taking trips to UGA and ASU in the next few weeks. The article actually says "Georgia and August" but they meant to say Georgia and ASU in August.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: jry04 on July 22, 2016, 02:55:12 pm
I wouldn't hold your breath on Brooks. Sounds like he was just telling the Arkansas media what they wanted to hear.

Here is an article from outside of the Arkansas media, and there is no mention of us. I may be wrong, but I personally think if he is truly interested in us he would tell non-Arkansas people that when he mentions 5 or 6 other teams in the same interview, too.

http://www.hoopseen.com/news/event/201607/las-vegas-day-one-wabissa-bede-puts-show

He mentioned quite a few teams he talks to a lot, and then goes on to say he plans on taking trips to UGA and ASU in the next few weeks. The article actually says "Georgia and August" but they meant to say Georgia and ASU in August.

Silent commit???

Hawg Red

Quote from: jry04 on July 22, 2016, 02:55:12 pm

What a gut punch. Definitely telling.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 22, 2016, 03:00:04 pm
What a gut punch. Definitely telling.

I agree. Moved on already to the other bigs. Guess the staff has to with all the names popping up recently.

Razorod

Not overly surprised. At the end of the day, it's hard to imagine him signing with anyone but his dad and MSU.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

HardingHog

It's not something to depend on, but his most recent crystal ball picks on 247 have him going to Georgia (they lead 6-4 over Miss St.)

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 22, 2016, 07:35:40 am

Dre greenlaw.

I agree, I think it's awesome that he's considering us and it seems the coaches are working hard, but to get him over his dad being at ms. St. Just seems so unlikely.

Dominicanhog

have we heard anything else on this guy?  Coaches spent a lot of time on him to not hear his name mentioned anymore.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Razorod on July 22, 2016, 07:41:58 am

Family ties can be powerful tool when your dad is an assistant coach for MSU but so is the potential to play with bunch of talented players. Plus we can offer a nice practice facility. If MSU doesnt have a talented class as well...

That said I do understand the part of not getting your hopes too high.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8