Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oregon Fan Talks Hogs at DFW

Started by Faithful Hog, May 07, 2015, 06:02:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Faithful Hog

I ran into an Oregon fan at DFW back in March.  The way he talked, he seemed pretty connected to their program, probably a booster.  When I told him I was a Razorback fan...

He said "Man, nobody wanted to play the Razorbacks this year.  You guys really had a great team.  I know the record wasn't telling, but I don't think there was a team in the country that wanted to play you guys by the end of the year.  I'm an Oregon Duck man, but you guys are building one of those smash-mouth teams that we do not match up well against, like Stanford or Alabama.  You guys are on the rise."

Here in Chattanooga, the heart of SEC country, and everywhere I travel, the sentiment is the same.  The optimism and respect is refreshing.  I just though I'd share.  I can't wait until college football season.  WPS! :razorback:

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Faithful Hog on May 07, 2015, 06:02:45 pm
I ran into an Oregon fan at DFW back in March.  The way he talked, he seemed pretty connected to their program, probably a booster.  When I told him I was a Razorback fan...

He said "Man, nobody wanted to play the Razorbacks this year.  You guys really had a great team.  I know the record wasn't telling, but I don't think there was a team in the country that wanted to play you guys by the end of the year.  I'm an Oregon Duck man, but you guys are building one of those smash-mouth teams that we do not match up well against, like Stanford or Alabama.  You guys are on the rise."

Here in Chattanooga, the heart of SEC country, and everywhere I travel, the sentiment is the same.  The optimism and respect is refreshing.  I just though I'd share.  I can't wait until college football season.  WPS! :razorback:

I've noticed it here in Missippi too... We're either up for a big year right now or a two year build up to a perennial badd azz...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

PORKULATOR

Yo Faithful, I live in Chatty as well, we should get together and tailgate this football season for some hog home games.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

d-hog

I live in big 12 country (Oklahoma) and hear the same from OSU & OU fans along with a couple Texas and K-staters I know. It is completely different. They all like our coach too. In all my life living here, bringing up Arkansas usually is met with disdain. Now they brag on our program so much I'm not sure how to respond except grin from ear to ear.

Break & Run

We have an athletic program overall that is respected now.

Jeff Long is very respected among his peers.

Bret Bielema, Mike Anderson, Dave Van Horn, and Jimmy Dykes are all very good coaches who have shown they can be effective coaches.  Yes, I put Dykes in there because what he did this year was nothing short of fantastic.

Arkansas is now a program that elite athletes will WANT to visit and WANT to play in.

#BeUncommon
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

dsgreen

I live in ACC country so nobody knows anything about football but some Duke and UNC fans liked us in basketball this year, although they've forgotten our history already.

hawgmasta

It feels awesome knowing how our program is viewed across the country. This is right when our basketball and football programs are getting on the highest part of this ladder were climbing.

Hog N Bama

Football is an avoided subject here when I have my Hog shirt or cap on. ;D WPS! :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Steef

Quote from: dsgreen on May 07, 2015, 11:30:35 pm
I live in ACC country so nobody knows anything about football

QFT

I live in NC. Most people around here don't know we exist. Basketball rules.

nchogg

I live in eastern nc and most people I talk to know the hogs. Most are ECU fans and they don't want to play us in football or basketball.

Mountain Oyster

I was talking to a guy from Alabama the other day about an upcoming hunting trip  Just met the guy..Before the conversation was over I just had to ask are you a bama fan or Auburn fan?  He said he was a bama fan...I told him I didn't blame him because I could never root for the Tigers.  Anyway, he just went on and on about our program and how coach B was doing great things here..Made me feel good.

LZH

I've seen quite a few Razorback stickers/license plate frames around here....but in the heart of Gator/Seminole country, guess what team's logo I see the most of?

Freekin Auburn.

Cinco de Hogo

My experience is completely different. I used to talk sports with people all the time when I travel with my Hig stuff on.  I haven't talked to anybody about the Razorbacks in months. 

Overal though it just seem that interest in sports is taking a step back and more people are worried about the State of the Union.

DeltaBoy

Texas Fans want to wait at least 3 more years before they set that return game they owe us from 08.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Ex-Trumpet

I live in Texas...most of these arrogant penii down here still think the Longhorns won in Houston a few months ago.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

bennyl08

Quote from: d-hog on May 07, 2015, 08:58:23 pm
I live in big 12 country (Oklahoma) and hear the same from OSU & OU fans along with a couple Texas and K-staters I know. It is completely different. They all like our coach too. In all my life living here, bringing up Arkansas usually is met with disdain. Now they brag on our program so much I'm not sure how to respond except grin from ear to ear.

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

MissippHog

Well, most of the a-holes in North MS give the Hogs little credit and act as if they are one of the conferences elite now. 

HogsonHicks

Quote from: PORKULATOR on May 07, 2015, 07:20:23 pm
Yo Faithful, I live in Chatty as well, we should get together and tailgate this football season for some hog home games.

Same here. I'm a recent Chatt transplant from LR.

Phil D

I live on the Iowa side of the Mississippi and work in Illinois. The hogs get plenty of love up here even in the heart of big 10 country. Of course coach BB's hometown is only 50 miles away, if you go there it's like Fayetteville north. :razorback:
GO HOGS!!!!!!

dsgreen

Quote from: steefhog on May 08, 2015, 05:21:43 am
QFT

Same here.  Where you at?  If you're in the Triangle, we'll have to get a Razorback watch party crew going.

hogginbama

Quote from: Hog N Bama on May 08, 2015, 04:59:29 am
Football is an avoided subject here when I have my Hog shirt or cap on. ;D WPS! :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Spent 12 yrs in Huntsville stationed at Redstone Arsenal and recruiting north Alabama for the Army. Would always get into some good conversations while wearing the Hog gear and talking smack. Still have many good friends there and of course the In-laws who are die-hard Tide fans and they now worry about playing the Hogs again.

My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

TX HOG

All the people I've talked to here in texas respect our program. They like our style of play, "big boy" football.

PORKULATOR

Quote from: HogsonHicks on May 08, 2015, 02:16:27 pm
Same here. I'm a recent Chatt transplant from LR.
Wps, welcome to Chattanooga
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: LZH on May 08, 2015, 07:59:56 am
I've seen quite a few Razorback stickers/license plate frames around here....but in the heart of Gator/Seminole country, guess what team's logo I see the most of?

Freekin Auburn.

Where in FL do you live? My experience down there is of a very divided state.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

redeye

Quote from: steefhog on May 08, 2015, 05:21:43 am
QFT

Duke fans don't remember '94?

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: redeye on May 09, 2015, 04:12:57 pm

Many Hog fans don't remember '94.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

dsgreen

Quote from: redeye on May 09, 2015, 04:12:57 pm

Depends how old they are.  I know 30-40 year old doctors who didn't know we beat them for the title in 94 because they didn't go to school at Duke until the last decade.  Duke fans are the worst.

go hogues

Quote from: MissippHog on May 08, 2015, 02:14:06 pm
Well, most of the a-holes in North MS give the Hogs little credit and act as if they are one of the conferences elite now. 
So, in other words...no departure from their normal ways.

Worst group of fans anywhere.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

hogman06

I just moved to Johnson City, TN and all the Tenner fans hope they are ready for us this year. They are all excited their team is coming back, but most are saying that we are just a little bit ahead of where they are right now.

Biggus Piggus

I just want the great things to happen. Not going to talk big until Arkansas actually accomplishes something.
[CENSORED]!

jvanhorn

Quote from: Break & Run on May 07, 2015, 10:14:43 pm
We have an athletic program overall that is respected now.

Jeff Long is very respected among his peers.

Bret Bielema, Mike Anderson, Dave Van Horn, and Jimmy Dykes are all very good coaches who have shown they can be effective coaches.  Yes, I put Dykes in there because what he did this year was nothing short of fantastic.

Arkansas is now a program that elite athletes will WANT to visit and WANT to play in.

#BeUncommon

I don't know about getting elite athletes, but Van Horn does more with less than any coach I have ever seen.  If you look at the baseball recruiting Arkansas is almost never in the top 25 and I have never seen them picked to win the SEC but, come the end of the year, there they are.

DeltaBoy

All the TX fans in my SS class and at work don't want to talk about the Bowl game or even when Texas will give us a return home game.  They are worried sick cause they are still not sure if they will have a QB this year. RADIO II is not the answer.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

GolfnHog

Quote from: d-hog on May 07, 2015, 08:58:23 pm

Being here in OK as well, I'd say this is a very good assessment of how the Hogs program is viewed.

You know you're making major inroads in respectability when a Choklahoma Sooner is not their usual arrogant self when their mouths open and it's about football and it's not all about the greatness of themselves.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

LZH

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 09, 2015, 10:54:26 am
Where in FL do you live? My experience down there is of a very divided state.

Clearwater (Tampa Bay area).  But I drive all over the state during the week, and the amount of Auburn fans down here (compared to UF/FSU) surprised the hell out of me.  They seem to have as many 'fans' as either one of the local schools.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: GolfnHog on May 12, 2015, 09:46:25 am
Being here in OK as well, I'd say this is a very good assessment of how the Hogs program is viewed.

You know you're making major inroads in respectability when a Choklahoma Sooner is not their usual arrogant self when their mouths open and it's about football and it's not all about the greatness of themselves.

My 2 OU staff members were very happy we Thumped TX and were even more glad they did not have to play us.

Vantage 8 dude

I just find it very interesting (and somewhat ironic) that we're finally beginning to get some respect around the country. The reason I say this is that it wasn't all that terribly long ago that some questioned whether or not CBB was even the right HC for us. And even if many did agree he likely was, was he ultimately running the right offense ("old time" physical grind it our first) for this modern era. While I realize that "winning cures all" the plan fact is that I think CBB always was the right guy; he was going to bring a hard nosed, no nonsense mentality to the program. Frankly I believe that type of thinking usually ends up having success even if it takes a few years to get the right pieces in place.

I'm just delighted to see that the wisdom and vision that JL displayed in not only hiring Bret to begin with, but also having the patience to ignore the criticism and questioning of the hire throughout 2103 and early '14 is finally being justified. Sometimes patience truly IS a wonderful virtue. Now I'm more than ready to continuing building on the shout of "FEAR THE HOG"!!! :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

DeltaBoy

OLD School still works.  I believe you could still run the Split Back Veer if you could find enough Cam and Tebow type QB's to run it.