Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Couple of good articles

Started by bphi11ips, May 05, 2015, 09:36:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

bphi11ips

I should add that the print version features a photo of Brandon Allen showing nice form.  The caption underneath reads:

"Arkansas quarterback Brandon Allen will likely be throwing more to his running backs and tight ends next season." 

The implication is that Arkansas will not be one of the many SEC teams "haunted" by "QB Questions" in 2015.

David Climer is an excellent sports journalist who rarely sugarcoats anything. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 05, 2015, 09:36:09 am
Good analysis and some love from the Nashville media:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/vols/2015/04/29/tennessee-schedule-breakdown/26542073/

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/columnist/david-climer/2015/05/03/sec-spring-review-qb-questions-haunt-many-teams/26845897/

He said the majority of throws went to WR's last year under Chaney. The breakdown on catches (not attempts) was as follows. Maybe he did throw more to WR's, but with less success? Catches were fairly equal. One catch not mentioned can be credited to Appolonio.

TE-72
RB-26

That's 98.

WR-100

2 more than than to TE's or RB's.
Go Hogs Go!

Paul

bphi11ips

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 07, 2015, 08:50:49 am
He said the majority of throws went to WR's last year under Chaney. The breakdown on catches (not attempts) was as follows. Maybe he did throw more to WR's, but with less success? Catches were fairly equal. One catch not mentioned can be credited to Appolonio.

TE-72
RB-26

That's 98.

WR-100

I doubt the author is as familiar with Arkansas as we are, but he had four years to watch Chaney at Tennessee, where Chaney threw the ball 50% of the time, mostly to wide receivers like Cordarelle Patterson and Justin Hunter, who went 29th and 34th, respectively, in the 2013 NFL draft.  Not only did Chaney not have the luxury of great wide receivers at Arkansas, he worked for a coach who values tight ends and fullbacks.  As well he should with players like Henry, Sprinkle and Walker.  Had the author considered these differences in Arkansas and Tennessee and done his research, he probably would have focused on something different.

I thought the same thing you did but discounted it for the reasons I just stated.  The reason I posted the articles is because the authors are both respected journalists (especially Climer) who show some objective respect for the Hogs.  Vols fans and media know the game in Knoxville will be one of the toughest on their schedule and could be a make-or-break game for them.   
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Styflin

TE-72
RB-26

That's 98.

WR-100

I think the point he is trying to make is that we are going to involve the RBs in the passing game much more. Add the fact that Sprinkle (TE) will be heavily involved you will see a much different looking offense.

HogMantheIntruder

TE-72
RB-26

That's 98.

WR-100

I would have to assume that this is the case.  We had way more success throwing to the TE's than any receiver last year, at least until Keon came on towards the end of the season.  Plus, those are generally shorter throws, so there's going to be a higher completion percentage, and with BA and our receivers last year, the difference was probably pretty significant.  Of course, I say that without doing any research or staying at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so take it for what it's worth.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 07, 2015, 02:24:32 pm
I doubt the author is as familiar with Arkansas as we are, but he had four years to watch Chaney at Tennessee, where Chaney threw the ball 50% of the time, mostly to wide receivers like Cordarelle Patterson and Justin Hunter, who went 29th and 34th, respectively, in the 2013 NFL draft.  Not only did Chaney not have the luxury of great wide receivers at Arkansas, he worked for a coach who values tight ends and fullbacks.  As well he should with players like Henry, Sprinkle and Walker.  Had the author considered these differences in Arkansas and Tennessee and done his research, he probably would have focused on something different.

I thought the same thing you did but discounted it for the reasons I just stated.  The reason I posted the articles is because the authors are both respected journalists (especially Climer) who show some objective respect for the Hogs.  Vols fans and media know the game in Knoxville will be one of the toughest on their schedule and could be a make-or-break game for them.   

Don't disagree, that's why I brought up the point about perhaps having made more attempts to WR's, but with less success than to others. In the past I have gone back and charted Attempts vs. Completions by player, play by play, but I'm busier now and just don't have the energy. ;)
Go Hogs Go!