Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Are there any plans to go back to natural grass in the future?

Started by Country Stylz, May 04, 2015, 08:53:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

woodhog14

Is there any plans to change the endzone fonts we have now to the new fonts that the University uses on all uniforms and marketing material this year?

ricepig

Quote from: woodhog14 on May 05, 2015, 07:44:24 pm
Is there any plans to change the endzone fonts we have now to the new fonts that the University uses on all uniforms and marketing material this year?

Plans, yes, definite time on it, not announced yet.

Sooie71923

Natural grass field looks terrible on TV in the fall and winter. 

Turf is better. Play faster.  With the turf technologies these days the difference between turf and grass are minimal. Expense wise grass cost way more for year round up keep.

I hope they stay artificial forever

Laughing Hog

Quote from: Surfing8 on May 05, 2015, 10:03:48 am
I played my HS football on the brillo pad that was War Memorial back in the day, and other than being fast it pretty much sucked as a playing surface.

This. Every Sat. was spent treating strawberries and extra bruises. That 'stuff' was hard as rock. The new stuff is way better from what limited time I have been on it. Grass is always better(both kinds), but the new stuff appears to be very close.
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

Cinco de Hogo

Rubber pellets softer than dirt...snuff said about safety.

The turf field we have is superior to real grass is just about every category, except in a few fans minds. 

And the fact that Petrino had it put in. 

Let's let CBB make that kind of decision and back that.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Sooie71923 on May 05, 2015, 08:23:05 pm
Natural grass field looks terrible on TV in the fall and winter. 

Turf is better. Play faster.  With the turf technologies these days the difference between turf and grass are minimal. Expense wise grass cost way more for year round up keep.

I hope they stay artificial forever
Incorrect. They don't play games at DWRRS in the winter. Pat Berger and his crew kept the stadium grass green in the fall long after the grass in my own yard had gone dormant. They didn't paint or dye it either. These guys know what they're doing.

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

PonderinHog

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on May 06, 2015, 09:27:58 am
Rubber pellets softer than dirt...snuff said about safety.

The turf field we have is superior to real grass is just about every category, except in a few fans minds. 

And the fact that Petrino had it put in. 

Let's let CBB make that kind of decision and back that.

That might depend on the dirt and the rubber pellets...................What difference does it make why Bobby had it put in? He's no longer here.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

SantaHog

I wouldn't be surprised to see CBB ask for a change to natural grass in the future.  The size of our O-Line and power running game would have a huge advantage over the defenses on a natural grass surface.

go hogues

Other than Mike's comments about BP wanting the field turf, I remember an article that came out around the time we switched, saying one of the big reasons for the turf was stadium location.
Other than UK (and now Mizzou) NW Arkansas was the northernmost campus in the SEC and the grass was hard to keep green into the late fall. Aside from the cold NWA climate, the way the South Endzone expansion was built, it sits up too high, where from about October-April or so, the SW endzone grass would sit in the shade during all the daylight hours. That's why they were always having to paint that endzone green, like a poster above stated.

The field turf looks like crap on TV for the night games. The reflective quality looks so cheap. However, the worst two TV field turf stadiums are Tropicana field in St. Pete and Jerry World. It's amazing that in JerryWorld, with all the money he spent, you can still see all the seam lines in the turf where they roll it out.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

thirrdegreetusker

A couple of observations:

* Coaches like to practice on the "game field", for valid reasons too numerous to mention. So natural grass does not serve well.
* We are too far north to count on Bermuda staying healthy here. Plus, no way to conduct Spring drills without damaging the dormant Bermuda. Other grasses might do better this far north, but will not be as traffic-durable as Bermuda.
* If the first game of the Fall season is played on grass in a downpour, you are screwed for the entire season.
* Despite all the practical problems, the majority of players prefer natural grass
* In respect to DWRS (as another poster pointed out), the tall south end structure blocks the winter/spring sun, further complicating turf management

Mike Irwin

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on May 06, 2015, 01:21:42 pm
A couple of observations:

* Coaches like to practice on the "game field", for valid reasons too numerous to mention. So natural grass does not serve well.
* We are too far north to count on Bermuda staying healthy here. Plus, no way to conduct Spring drills without damaging the dormant Bermuda. Other grasses might do better this far north, but will not be as traffic-durable as Bermuda.
* If the first game of the Fall season is played on grass in a downpour, you are screwed for the entire season.
* Despite all the practical problems, the majority of players prefer natural grass
* In respect to DWRS (as another poster pointed out), the tall south end structure blocks the winter/spring sun, further complicating turf management
You sound like you're talking about a high school field with limited resources to develop and maintain it.

Arkansas has a grass practice field. They used it all spring. It was not damaged and it is healthy.

Texas A&M had a downpour before and during in the 2012 Arkansas game. Not only was their field unmarked after the game the players' uniforms were not even muddy. The drainage they build under grass fields these days is unbelievable. College grass fields do not tear up when it rains.

As I've previously stated the grass field that existed at DWRRS prior to 2008 stayed green through the entire season without the use of paint or dyes. There was an issue with the south endzone because of sun blockage later in the season. However that was seven years ago. Pat Berger, who was responsible for the grass practice fields at Mississippi State before Arkansas hired him, was already working on some solutions to that issue. I know enough about him to know he could deal with that problem if they ever switch back to grass in the stadium.

You are right about the players. Most of them prefer grass. I've talked to them about it.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on May 06, 2015, 01:21:42 pm
Other grasses might do better this far north, but will not be as traffic-durable as Bermuda.

Then plant Nuttgrass..........................it's not as durable and not consistent but it will last 10 dang years..............
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Mike Irwin on May 06, 2015, 02:37:57 pm
You sound like you're talking about a high school field with limited resources to develop and maintain it.

Arkansas has a grass practice field. They used it all spring. It was not damaged and it is healthy.

Texas A&M had a downpour before and during in the 2012 Arkansas game. Not only was their field unmarked after the game the players' uniforms were not even muddy. The drainage they build under grass fields these days is unbelievable. College grass fields do not tear up when it rains.

As I've previously stated the grass field that existed at DWRRS prior to 2008 stayed green through the entire season without the use of paint or dyes. There was an issue with the south endzone because of sun blockage later in the season. However that was seven years ago. Pat Berger, who was responsible for the grass practice fields at Mississippi State before Arkansas hired him, was already working on some solutions to that issue. I know enough about him to know he could deal with that problem if they ever switch back to grass in the stadium.

You are right about the players. Most of them prefer grass. I've talked to them about it.

I'll give MSU credit they do know their grass......................

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 06, 2015, 02:43:26 pm

Then plant Nuttgrass..........................it's not as durable and not consistent but it will last 10 dang years..............

No, he is long gone, and took his grass with him............

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 06, 2015, 02:45:08 pm
I'll give MSU credit they do know their grass......................
So does A&M. I was talking to one of their grass people the day before that game. He told me flat out that the rain would not cause a problem in the game. This wasn't showers they were calling for but a downpour. I was skeptical when he said the players would not get muddy.

Turned out their grass was pretty much sitting on a sand base. I have no idea how they make that work but they do.

Bigdavis

Quote from: TheGunther on May 05, 2015, 08:10:38 am
As someone who has actually played football on both, natural grass every time. 

When I played all we had was natural grass. Astroturf was a thing but I never played on it. Since then I've been out on the new field turf at Sylvan Hills and it feels amazing under your feet. I think I'd much rather play on that than real grass.

urkillnmesmalls

I read that and thought it said "Natural Gas" with all this frackin' goin' on. 

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

wholehog92

There are no current plans to change the turf out for grass.

As mentioned, BP wanted to practice on the game field.  No way it would stand up to that and look nice on TV especially late in the year.

In the past, the excellent grounds crew at the U of A did keep the grass green late in the season as Mike Noted.  They did have to oversee with a different type of grass.  That grass gave a different feel and didn't hold up as  well as the Bermuda that is green early in the season.

The biggest drawback to the turf is it is warmer than natural grass.  This is often overplayed by just showing how much hotter the field surface is than ambient temp.  Natural grass was warmer than ambient as well.  It's the nature of putting a dark colored surface out completely exposed to the sun.  Because of the drainage system under the field for both grass and turf, this effect is pretty severe in the stadium because the drainage system needs air voids to allow water flow which break the connection to earth as a heat sink.  The turf just radiates the heat more than the grass.

I don't care for the shine on TV either.  I do think grass looks better and I would rather play on grass.  In person both have always looked great.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on May 06, 2015, 02:49:14 pm
No, he is long gone, and took his grass with him............

I knew he had to be smoking something! That dang nuttgrass is hard to get rid of................it can be done but it is hard and expensive!

code red

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on May 04, 2015, 10:28:12 pm
field turf is where it's at.
Agreed esp for recruiting purposes.  Nice to show a kid in Jan a painted field not dormant.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 06, 2015, 02:43:26 pm

You didn't get near enough credit for that little gem. +1
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Mike Irwin

Quote from: code red on May 07, 2015, 12:22:55 pm
Agreed esp for recruiting purposes.  Nice to show a kid in Jan a painted field not dormant.
I guess somebody forgot to explain that to Nick Saban.

code red

Quote from: Mike Irwin on May 07, 2015, 01:35:19 pm
I guess somebody forgot to explain that to Nick Saban.
They probably overseed in rye lol
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Being around high school athletes and can tell you they prefer field turf...cause its cool.  In their opinion...just sayin.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: code red on May 07, 2015, 01:38:03 pm
Being around high school athletes and can tell you they prefer field turf...cause its cool.  In their opinion...just sayin.
There is no comparison between the natural grass fields high school kids play on and what awaits them at upper end college programs like Texas A&M and Alabama. The playing surface on the grass fields and the stadium field at those schools is unbelievable.

Some of you keep referencing how much turf has improved. Real grass has improved too. It's better quality to begin with and the things they can do because of improved maintenance techniques is eye opening.

bphi11ips

Quote from: code red on May 07, 2015, 01:38:03 pm

And they probably have spent most of their time playing on a public school grass field.  I painted one of those for a Spring game two nights ago at one of the best public high schools in Tennessee and am now worried about my son turning an ankle on it.  Grass?  What grass?  I learned that dust soaks up water based paint. 

Less than a mile from my son's school and a few blocks from our house is a private school with a $660,000 turf field.  He kicks there regularly with permission and has for years.  No question he would rather play on that turf.

Two weeks ago we were on the field at Titans Stadium at an event for season ticket holders.  Of the three fields, there is no comparison.  Anyone who has ever played football would rather play on that field.  Was never on the grass field at RRS (after about 1980), but my guess is it was pretty close to the Titans' field.

I played lots of games at WMS in the 70's and still have the carpet burns to show for it.  Turf may be different now, but its still turf.  Not sure whether the carpet burns or the rubber pellets are worse. 

Football was meant to be played on grass.  The only reason to play on turf is economic, although a grass field that gets more than one game a week can get pretty chewed up, especially between the 20's.   
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

GuvHog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on May 07, 2015, 01:49:22 pm
There is no comparison between the natural grass fields high school kids play on and what awaits them at upper end college programs like Texas A&M and Alabama. The playing surface on the grass fields and the stadium field at those schools is unbelievable.

Some of you keep referencing how much turf has improved. Real grass has improved too. It's better quality to begin with and the things they can do because of improved maintenance techniques is eye opening.

I agree Mike but the number of Arkansas high schools that have switched to artificial turf grows every year. I really think it escalated after that season a few years ago when it rained so much that many schools wound up playing in almost knee deep mud.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Mike Irwin

Field turf stinks in hot weather. Smells like you are in a tire yard. Players are always gagging, hacking, spitting and puking in practice and during games. That stuff breaks down pretty quickly on a natural grass field. I don't want to even think about what it's like to roll around on those rubber pellets covered with dried up vomit.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: GuvHog on May 07, 2015, 02:14:43 pm
I agree Mike but the number of Arkansas high schools that have switched to artificial turf grows every year. I really think it escalated after that season a few years ago when it rained so much that many schools wound up playing in almost knee deep mud.
High schools are going to field turf because they don't have the money or the expertise to develop and maintain state of the art natural grass fields. Arkansas can afford the best and the best option is not artificial grass.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Mike Irwin on May 07, 2015, 02:17:03 pm
Field turf stinks in hot weather. Smells like you are in a tire yard. Players are always gagging, hacking, spitting and puking in practice and during games. That stuff breaks down pretty quickly on a natural grass field. I don't want to even think about what it's like to roll around on those rubber pellets covered with dried up vomit.

Not to mention those pellets wind up in the bottom of your shoes after five minutes of walking around on it.

code red

Quote from: Mike Irwin on May 07, 2015, 02:17:03 pm
I agree....would love to see the old bermuda back on the hill.  I think we are as far north as anyone except Mizzou.  In that transition zone you will have a heck of a time keeping bermuda from going completely dormant before the season is over.  I just hate a field that has been painted..looks tacky.  But....mud and grass is football.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: code red on May 07, 2015, 02:20:53 pm
I agree....would love to see the old bermuda back on the hill.  I think we are as far north as anyone except Mizzou.  In that transition zone you will have a heck of a time keeping bermuda from going completely dormant before the season is over.  I just hate a field that has been painted..looks tacky.  But....mud and grass is football.
It's already been done and without paint. Houston Nutt's last few years the field at DWRRS stayed green until after the last game. I saw it. Also these days mud is out. Call A&M and ask them how they do it. The Aggie I talked to in 2012 explained it to me but I don't remember what he said.

phadedhawg

Grass looks great until the end of September and by November you're playing on green painted dirt.  But I'm all for nostalgia.  We should have a throwback game where we play on grass, call ourselves the Cardinals and remove the facemasks from all helmets. 

Would be a helluva sight.

code red

Quote from: Mike Irwin on May 07, 2015, 02:28:33 pm
It's already been done and without paint. Houston Nutt's last few years the field at DWRRS stayed green until after the last game. I saw it. Also these days mud is out. Call A&M and ask them how they do it. The Aggie I talked to in 2012 explained it to me but I don't remember what he said.
The only way to do that is to cover the whole field or periodically water to keep the soil temperatures up.  Now I am not saying your wrong but in the 3rd week of Nov that is virtually impossible...that far north.  Now they may have overseed in rye....but then your running into some expense and chemical to smoke it out in the spring.  I am no expert don't get me wrong just for the sake of argument I betcha there was just a wee bit of paint on that field after Halloween.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: phadedhawg on May 07, 2015, 02:30:43 pm
Grass looks great until the end of September and by November you're playing on green painted dirt. But I'm all for nostalgia.  We should have a throwback game where we play on grass, call ourselves the Cardinals and remove the facemasks from all helmets. 

Would be a helluva sight.
Do yourself a favor and watch a game at A&M in November (even if it's on TV). The field won't be painted and it won't be dirt. SEC grass fields and high school grass fields are not in the same ballpark.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Mike Irwin on May 07, 2015, 02:35:37 pm
Do yourself a favor and watch a game at A&M in November (even if it's on TV). The field won't be painted and it won't be dirt. SEC grass fields and high school grass fields are not in the same ballpark.

Sorry MikeIrwin, remember in 2001 the slop house when Tenn played the Hogs. Its a muddy mess but was true sloppy football field! I want that! Turf is for Pac 12 football not SEC

GuvHog

A&M is much further south than Fayetteville is too. That probably has a lot to do with it.

ricepig

Do yourself a favor and look at the difference in weather in College Station and Fayetteville in November. I'll agree that there is no comparison between high school and SEC fields, the drainage system alone makes a huge difference. You are going to have to seed in some rye to guarantee a green field on Thanksgiving in Fayetteville.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: code red on May 07, 2015, 02:33:06 pm
The only way to do that is to cover the whole field or periodically water to keep the soil temperatures up.  Now I am not saying your wrong but in the 3rd week of Nov that is virtually impossible...that far north.  Now they may have overseed in rye....but then your running into some expense and chemical to smoke it out in the spring.  I am no expert don't get me wrong just for the sake of argument I betcha there was just a wee bit of paint on that field after Halloween.
I'll ask him the next time I see him but I think you're wrong. They do overseed Baum Stadium but that's because the team is on that field starting in January. He told me not long ago that they're bringing the bermuda at Baum out earlier than ever these days. Something to do with special fertilizers and a better strain of grass.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on May 07, 2015, 02:39:26 pm
Sorry MikeIrwin, remember in 2001 the slop house when Tenn played the Hogs. Its a muddy mess but was true sloppy football field! I want that! Turf is for Pac 12 football not SEC
I wasn't talking about 2001. Berger wasn't employed here back then. When he came in the difference he made in that stadium field was amazing.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Mike Irwin on May 07, 2015, 02:45:31 pm
I'll ask him the next time I see him but I think you're wrong. They do overseed Baum Stadium but that's because the team is on that field starting in January. He told me not long ago that they're bringing the bermuda at Baum out earlier than ever these days. Something to do with special fertilizers and a better strain of grass.

Cross between Kentucky Bluegrass and Northen California sensemilla.

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 07, 2015, 02:50:36 pm
Cross between Kentucky Bluegrass and Northen California sensemilla.

Can I get a ruling?

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on May 07, 2015, 02:43:17 pm
Do yourself a favor and look at the difference in weather in College Station and Fayetteville in November. I'll agree that there is no comparison between high school and SEC fields, the drainage system alone makes a huge difference. You are going to have to seed in some rye to guarantee a green field on Thanksgiving in Fayetteville.

Nashville and Fayetteville are the same latitude.  The Titans field stays green into the playoffs, not that I've been to a playoff game lately.

bphi11ips

GuvHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 07, 2015, 02:52:49 pm
Nashville and Fayetteville are the same latitude.  The Titans field stays green into the playoffs, not that I've been to a playoff game lately.

It could be that they seed in some Rye to keep it green there too.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on May 07, 2015, 01:16:46 pm
You didn't get near enough credit for that little gem. +1

Thanks. Someone would have to know there is a weed called nut grass. I was making a play on words by using my experience trying to get rid of the stuff. It is't easy!

Inhogswetrust

thirrdegreetusker

They can do much, much more with natural grass now, especially given the resources available to UA. But the X factor here is the fact that coaches LOVE to practice on the game field, every day.

And it is my sincere belief that no system of natural grass can stand that, this far north.