Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Are there any plans to go back to natural grass in the future?

Started by Country Stylz, May 04, 2015, 08:53:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Country Stylz on May 04, 2015, 08:53:56 pm
I'll hang up n listen.

I think it would be better. I love sloppy muddy games at Razorback Stadium.

hawginbigd1

I like grass fields, but the field turf has become so close to grass and easier and cheaper to maintain I think only for gimmick purposes will people go back.

Boardon Hamsay

I think it's good that more states are getting back to natural grass. That "spice" stuff is a growing fad that I think is more dangerous.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

Calling All Hogs

Most of the Auburn players went back to natural grass after synthetic cannabis was outlawed.

MissippHog

jvanhorn

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on May 04, 2015, 09:52:30 pm
I like grass fields, but the field turf has become so close to grass and easier and cheaper to maintain I think only for gimmick purposes will people go back.

I think that there are only a very, very few professional baseball teams that don't have natural grass.  I have seen.  I will take natural grass every time.  Of course professional baseball is played in the summer so as long as you have a good draining system you wouldn't have near the problems that a football team would.

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

CallThemHawgs!

The turf looks all matted and shiny, at DWRRS, its unlike any other turf I have seen. From a looks standpoint, its awful. I bet the players like it more however.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on May 04, 2015, 10:28:12 pm
field turf is where it's at.

It is so comfortable to walk on and so advanced I have no idea why anyone would want to go back.  Used to it was just thin turf on concrete and people got hurt all the time on it.  Now it is better than real grass and looks better.
Retired Radio Host

PorkRinds

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on May 04, 2015, 10:36:43 pm
It is so comfortable to walk on and so advanced I have no idea why anyone would want to go back.  Used to it was just thin turf on concrete and people got hurt all the time on it.  Now it is better than real grass and looks better.

My only issue is that you can't knock someone's dick in the dirt anymore you knock it into the black rubber pellets. Just doesn't have the same ring.

PonderinHog

jkstock04

I have not heard anything but would guess zero chance when you look at the more important needs and the cost to restructure back to the playing surface we had 10 years ago. This new artificial turf these days is extremely advanced. Try walking on it or even running on it and see what you think. This ain't your 1980s putt putt golf surface any more..there are honestly probably people who still think that.

Has Bielema said he prefers natural grass over our current field?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

PonderinHog

Quote from: jkstock04 on May 04, 2015, 10:42:44 pm
I have not heard anything but would guess zero chance when you look at the more important needs and the cost to restructure back to the playing surface we had 10 years ago. This new artificial turf these days is extremely advanced. Try walking on it or even running on it and see what you think. This ain't your 1980s putt putt golf surface any more..there are honestly probably people who still think that.

Has Bielema said he prefers natural grass over our current field?
Not sure about CBB, but Les Miles definitely prefers natural turf.

sickboy

My brain played a trick on me when I read the title and I thought it said are there any plans to go back to the future. And my answer to that is always a resounding "there definitely should be."

razorback44

Our turf looks so much better now than the worn out grass we had previously. I can't imagine why we would ever go back.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

CattleCorn

This ain't the plastic carpet your grandaddy used to put in his flat bottom bass boat.  It is superior to natural grass as a playing surface.  We didn't spend all that cash to switch right back to grass.

jdevers

Until a grass is created that can look nice and green in August and also late November in northwest Arkansas I would say about zero chance.

uconnhog

Mike_e

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 04, 2015, 10:39:18 pm
My only issue is that you can't knock someone's dick in the dirt anymore you knock it into the black rubber pellets. Just doesn't have the same ring.

You can turn em into carpet-munchers though, in a non PG sort of a way.
Y'all don't straighten up and raise some hell OTR and Rev are goin to put a saddle on Darrel Royal's floating fulminatin head and ride you down!

TheGunther

As someone who has actually played football on both, natural grass every time. 
everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, no one wanna lift no heavy ass weight!

jgphillips3

If statistics on injuries show that our current turf is as safe or better than grass and maintenance cost is equal or lower, I would say it is highly unlikely we ever go back.  As was noted before, the thinly veiled concrete we used to play on gave a fast track but was much harder than grass and when it came time to replace there were arguments to be made for grass over it.  Other than nostalgia, I'm not sure there are any more...player or coach preference notwithstanding.

CattleCorn

Quote from: TheGunther on May 05, 2015, 08:10:38 am
As someone who has actually played football on both, natural grass every time.

What year(s) did you play on artificial turf?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: CattleCorn on May 05, 2015, 09:13:32 am
What year(s) did you play on artificial turf?

I'd bet even players today would prefer grass if it is maintained properly.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jgphillips3 on May 05, 2015, 08:54:35 am
If statistics on injuries show that our current turf is as safe or better than grass and maintenance cost is equal or lower, I would say it is highly unlikely we ever go back.  As was noted before, the thinly veiled concrete we used to play on gave a fast track but was much harder than grass and when it came time to replace there were arguments to be made for grass over it.  Other than nostalgia, I'm not sure there are any more...player or coach preference notwithstanding.

Can you provide any proof that it is as safe or as cheap to maintain? Those have always been issues. Most of the time admins say it is much cheaper to maintain artificial turf. However if grass is safer then that is more important.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ARoutdoorsman

Go face plant your head into some of that new turf and get you a mouth and eyes full of sand and ground up tires and tell me which one you want to play on. Natural all the way.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Surfing8 on May 05, 2015, 10:03:48 am
I played my HS football on the brillo pad that was War Memorial back in the day, and other than being fast it pretty much sucked as a playing surface.

Today as a parent cruising the SoCal travel baseball/softball/soccer circuit, I see my kids playing on artificial turf regularly, and the black pellets are all over the garage.
As a board member for our local LL, I've been informed that our converting the baseball fields to turf this past year will save our area approximately $60k in water and related maintenance annually.  Soccer fields were already converted a few years ago.   

However - I have to say I often think of what I've read along these lines:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/investigations/how-safe-artificial-turf-your-child-plays-n220166

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/fields-649157-rubber-turf.html

http://www.ehhi.org/reports/turf/health_effects.shtml

There is no part of life that is 100% safe unless you live in a bubble. But I'd bet that grass is more expensive to maintain yet safer overall.

GuvHog

Quote from: PonderinHog on May 04, 2015, 10:58:31 pm

Where the stadium is located has a lot to do with that. Grass will last a lot longer in the warm Gulf Coast climate of Baton Rouge. An artificial turf field down there would be ridiculously hot to the point where it would be dangerous to even practice on.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on May 04, 2015, 10:31:16 pm
The turf looks all matted and shiny, at DWRRS, its unlike any other turf I have seen. From a looks standpoint, its awful. I bet the players like it more however.

The field looks great live, but I have to admit it's not much for looks on TV. Then again, the only time I ever see DWRRS on TV is when I'm watching a replay.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 05, 2015, 10:20:50 am
There is no part of life that is 100% safe unless you live in a bubble. But I'd bet that grass is more expensive to maintain yet safer overall.

I remember going to games in DWRRS before they switched to an artificial surface, the grass had gotten so bad they had to literally paint the field green so yeah I agree that grass is more expensive to maintain but in this day and age of new turf technology I seriously doubt playing on grass would be any safer.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on May 05, 2015, 10:25:48 am
Where the stadium is located has a lot to do with that. Grass will last a lot longer in the warm Gulf Coast climate of Baton Rouge. An artificial turf field down there would be ridiculously hot to the point where it would be dangerous to even practice on.

Yet schools down there do have turf practice fields for when they play teams that have turf in the stadium......................................

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on May 05, 2015, 10:38:48 am
I remember going to games in DWRRS before they switched to an artificial surface, the grass had gotten so bad they had to literally paint the field green so yeah I agree that grass is more expensive to maintain but in this day and age of new turf technology I seriously doubt playing on grass would be any safer.

Maybe not BUT I still have to wonder about the cumulative "wear and tear" on the players on turf.

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 05, 2015, 10:39:17 am
Yet schools down there do have turf practice fields for when they play teams that have turf in the stadium………………………………..

Correct, and Arkansas has a natural grass practice field too. One of the reasons many coaches prefer artificial turf is their teams can practice where they play their home games. They can't do that with a natural grass stadium field.

smb

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on May 04, 2015, 09:55:49 pm
Most of the Auburn players went back to natural grass after synthetic cannabis was outlawed.
Now that's funny! I like it!
GeorgiaHOG

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on May 05, 2015, 10:26:15 am
The field looks great live, but I have to admit it's not much for looks on TV. Then again, the only time I ever see DWRRS on TV is when I'm watching a replay.

I'm a big advocate of the new generation artificial turf.  Predicted we'd get it before we did, and got into some pissing wars here with those who wanted to stay with the natural turf.

That said - and, although IMO it does look fantastic in person - I have noticed that on TV it doesn't look great.  Too slick/shiny.  That being the case, I have thought about and considered the reason for that while actually in the stadium, and I have concluded that it is due to the camera angles, and where the lighting for the field is coming from.

My seats are on the East side of the stadium, and I never have any issue with "shine".  But I sat on the west side for a couple of scrimmages around midday, and noticed the sun shining in my eyes a little (off the turf) at some angles.  Since the cameras are on the West side, I strongly suspect this comes into play for them as well.  For night games, of course, there are the stadium lights instead of the sun, but the same principle applies.

I have noticed this in some other stadiums as well - but not all.  I'm not sure what can be done about it - the camera spots are located in specific spots designed for just that.  It doesn't really bother me that much, and as I said, looks great in person.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on May 05, 2015, 10:41:17 am
Correct, and Arkansas has a natural grass practice field too. One of the reason many coaches prefer artificial turf is their teams can practice where they play their home games. They can't do that with a natural grass stadium field.

They can practice on the same type grass they have in the stadium on their grass practice field. Tat's what we used to do and as far as I know all schools do. We have a artificial AND grass practice field for practice. No need to practice inside the stadium. What's your point?

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 05, 2015, 12:15:16 pm
They can practice on the same type grass they have in the stadium on their grass practice field. Tat's what we used to do and as far as I know all schools do. We have a artificial AND grass practice field for practice. No need to practice inside the stadium. What's your point?

Some coaches just like to have their team practice in their stadium to get used to their game day surroundings and the turf they play on. CBB does this quite a bit and it's why Petrino pushed for the switch.

WorfHog

Quote from: GuvHog on May 05, 2015, 12:22:36 pm
Some coaches just like to have their team practice in their stadium to get used to their game day surroundings and the turf they play on. CBB does this quite a bit and it's why Petrino pushed for the switch.

What do those guys know? Bring back the Bermuda!   ;)

Mike Irwin

It was Petrino's idea to get rid of the grass. He believed that turf gave his receivers more speed. I never understood the logic of that. It also makes linebackers, corners and safeties faster so what's the big deal?

I suspect that the cost of going back to grass is an issue right now. They're spending money on so many other things a grass field for DWRRS is not a priority. If you throw in maintenance costs I'm pretty sure turf is cheaper even if you replace it every seven or eight years.

The athletic department has one of the best grass men in college athletics. The football grass practice field & Baum Stadium are great examples of the job he and his crew do.

I'd love to see Frank Broyles field converted back to grass at some point in the future.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on May 04, 2015, 09:55:49 pm

Lol.  First time I remember hearing about Auburn players,  worrying about law's or rules....
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: PonderinHog on May 04, 2015, 10:58:31 pm

Yep, for sure.  Les says, there's just no food value in the artificial stuff, besides... it tastes funny.  Reminds him of diet drinks.....
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Mike Irwin on May 05, 2015, 03:24:07 pm
It was Petrino's idea to get rid of the grass. He believed that turf gave his receivers more speed. I never understood the logic of that. It also makes linebackers, corners and safeties faster so what's the big deal?

I suspect that the cost of going back to grass is an issue right now. They're spending money on so many other things a grass field for DWRRS is not a priority. If you throw in maintenance costs I'm pretty sure turf is cheaper even if you replace it every seven or eight years.

The athletic department has one of the best grass men in college athletics. The football grass practice field & Baum Stadium are great examples of the job he and his crew do.

I'd love to see Frank Broyles field converted back to grass at some point in the future.

I've heard that argument before about receivers and such and don't buy it. The last time I checked EVERY player on BOTH teams on both sidelines were playing on the same field during the game. IF your players are faster/slower depending on the type field so are the opponents.

deedster84

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 04, 2015, 10:39:18 pm

Can you load their 'Love Gun' with pellets..?  Meh, not the same ring is it.. I guess you can knock their dick in the turf...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

OneTuskOverTheLine™

I also thought he wanted to be able to practice on the playing field to give the receivers and QB familiar markers they could use to make their cuts and increase overall familiarity with the stadium. The grass wouldn't hold up to it...

Inhogswetrust

MuskogeeHogFan

But Mike, the receivers know where they are going before the play and the DB's/LB's have to react. It makes everyone's cuts quicker, but the advantage is to the receiver in BP's offense for a split second or two. So I can understand him wanting that.
Go Hogs Go!

deedster84

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on May 05, 2015, 07:02:01 pm
That soldiers pocket is full as hell...

Not too much. Smelled so good.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 05, 2015, 07:16:28 pm
But Mike, the receivers know where they are going before the play and the DB's/LB's have to react. It makes everyone's cuts quicker, but the advantage is to the receiver in BP's offense for a split second or two. So I can understand him wanting that.
I would think that the turf would make it easier for the DB to adjust and cut to cover the receiver better than real grass.  Seems like it would be a slower recovery on grass than turf. What do I know though, I'm just a simple cave man.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***