Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2002 Boise State Game Highlights

Started by Jborohog09, May 03, 2015, 05:29:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jborohog09

Highlights of the 41-14 blowout of Boise State in 02, enjoy!  Was their only loss of the season.

Inhogswetrust

Thanks! I remember it like it was yesterday. We were sitting with some friends in the east outdoor club. About halfway through the third quarter a couple showed up with Boise State shirts on. They were looking around and taking pictures. M wife and I asked them if they wanted us to take a picture of them and they thanked us. We asked why they showed up so late and where were they from. They were from Idaho and just happened to be in town for someones wedding or funeral I can't remember which. The people they were visiting were season ticket holders and gave them their tickets to go but they couldn't make it until after halftime. They said they just wanted to experience an SEC stadium and atmosphere. They were very impressed and a really nice couple.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

LZH

We were really, really good that year.  That was too much fun to watch.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: LZH on May 03, 2015, 06:55:56 pm
We were really, really good that year.  That was too much fun to watch.

Too bad nutt was coaching. #annunalheadscratchingkentuckyloss

DukeOfPork

We also smoked USF the next week 42-3 and USF went 9-2 that year with a 31-14 loss at OU as their only other loss.

Typical voter logic: Boise ended up in the top 10 after running the table against creampuffs while we dropped out of the rankings because of having to run the gauntlet against SEC teams.

Boise rant the table with a backup QB all year after we knocked the starter out in the first half of this game.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: DukeOfPork on May 04, 2015, 09:21:46 am
We also smoked USF the next week 42-3 and USF went 9-2 that year with a 31-14 loss at OU as their only other loss.

Typical voter logic: Boise ended up in the top 10 after running the table against creampuffs while we dropped out of the rankings because of having to run the gauntlet against SEC teams.

Boise rant the table with a backup QB all year after we knocked the starter out in the first half of this game.

We fell from the rankings because we got smoked by Bama, kentucky, Georgia, and Minnesota.

Always thought the 02 and 03 teams were much better than their records indicate. Also throw in 06 and 07.

MikePiazza

I think the Alabama loss at home kind of killed any chances at that being a special year. That crowd was at a fever pitch and then Shaud Williams went 80 yards untouched and it was just like, "well, it was fun while it lasted."
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

Bigdavis

I'll never forget this. Boise had almost beat us in 2000 and had improved a lot from that year. Their fans flooded our message boards for weeks leading up to that game and they were sure they would beat us. They had never beaten a power 5 team before and they just knew this would be their first big win over a major conference team. It was so satisfying to beat them up like we did.

Then the next week it was the same story with USF. Another up and coming team that just knew this would be their first big win over a big name team and again we killed them.

I remember driving to Fayetteville the next week and I couldn't wait to knock Alabama's teeth in.... and then Shaud Williams took us all back down to earth.

I agree with the earlier poster that said this team was much better than the record. Same with the 2003 team, that team was way too talented to go 0 for October.

MikePiazza

The problem with those teams wasn't the defense.

Matt was a special athlete at quarterback and they had Cobbs, Talley & Howard in the backfield. Problem was, there were games where teams would stack the box and force the Hogs to beat them through the air, and while Matt was decent throwing the ball, they only had Richard Smith and George Wilson as reliable pass catchers.

They lost to Tennessee in 6 OT's in '02 and then had the inexplicable loss to Kentucky at home (Derek Abney is still a hated name in my household). If they had pulled those two out, they would've likely gone 11-1.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on May 04, 2015, 09:54:27 am
We fell from the rankings because we got smoked by Bama, kentucky, Georgia, and Minnesota.

Always thought the 02 and 03 teams were much better than their records indicate. Also throw in 06 and 07.

My point was that we were 27 points better than a team that ran the table in the WAC.  I'm not saying that we should have been ranked higher, but that Boise should have been ranked lower.  Their record flattered them.

wildturkey8

Quote from: DukeOfPork on May 04, 2015, 01:28:47 pm
My point was that we were 27 points better than a team that ran the table in the WAC.  I'm not saying that we should have been ranked higher, but that Boise should have been ranked lower.  Their record flattered them.

Arkansas should have been better.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: DukeOfPork on May 04, 2015, 01:28:47 pm

Yes. Boise has always been that one team that has favor in the polls because of their level of competition. Anyone can get up to play 2 big games per year.

Boise state was no slouch back then though and we treated them like a HS team. Houston Nutt had some very talented players on both sides of the football but just never got us over that hump.
The Kentucky game that year was pathetic considering we wiped the floor with Auburn at Auburn the week prior.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: MikePiazza on May 04, 2015, 01:20:27 pm

Matt was a special athlete at quarterback and they had Cobbs, Talley & Howard in the backfield. Problem was, there were games where teams would stack the box and force the Hogs to beat them through the air, and while Matt was decent throwing the ball, they only had Richard Smith and George Wilson as reliable pass catchers.

They lost to Tennessee in 6 OT's in '02 and then had the inexplicable loss to Kentucky at home (Derek Abney is still a hated name in my household). If they had pulled those two out, they would've likely gone 11-1.

The play that sticks out in my mind in that 02 Tennessee game was splitting Matt Jones out wide and running a sneak late in the game on 4th and 1 with your backup QB (T.Jackson).

code red

That team severely underachieved.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Jborohog09

Quote from: MikePiazza on May 04, 2015, 01:20:27 pm

Didn't O'Donohoe miss a field goal that would have won it in the third or fourth overtime?  I can't remember.  I haven't seen that game since I watched it live.

Bigdavis

Quote from: Jborohog09 on May 04, 2015, 03:15:35 pm
Didn't O'Donohoe miss a field goal that would have won it in the third or fourth overtime?  I can't remember.  I haven't seen that game since I watched it live.

Yep. That's when he got the nickname "O shank a hoe" and got replaced.

MikePiazza

Quote from: Jborohog09 on May 04, 2015, 03:15:35 pm

He did. I think it was the third overtime. Here's the link to that entire game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QB7h7UPSDs

OneTuskOverTheLine™

In coaching consistency is at a premium. Poor HDN he was consistently inconsistent...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: wildturkey8 on May 04, 2015, 01:32:12 pm
Arkansas should have been better.

Arkansas WAS better and proved it on the field rather emphatically.

Had Boise played our schedule, they would have had more losses than we did and wouldn't have been ranked.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Kevin on May 04, 2015, 11:39:18 pm
That team had talent

One of the better backs Nutt ever had ended up playing defensive end and special teams by the end of that season. (Brandon Holmes)

Yuck.

MikePiazza

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on May 05, 2015, 09:27:24 am
One of the better backs Nutt ever had ended up playing defensive end and special teams by the end of that season. (Brandon Holmes)

Yuck.

I vividly remember Holmes putting the team on his back in those last two games of the 2000 season and carrying the Hogs to a bowl game.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: MikePiazza on May 05, 2015, 09:35:51 am
I vividly remember Holmes putting the team on his back in those last two games of the 2000 season and carrying the Hogs to a bowl game.

Carried us to a HUGE upset of Miss State in the sleet after Fred got hurt. Then carried the rock 42 times vs LSU in another upset 14-3 win. One of the many players who bought Nutt more time here.

wildturkey8

Quote from: DukeOfPork on May 04, 2015, 04:24:19 pm
Arkansas WAS better and proved it on the field rather emphatically.

Had Boise played our schedule, they would have had more losses than we did and wouldn't have been ranked.
No, Arkansas should have had a better won-loss record that season.

DeltaBoy

Another proof case the HDN did LESS with MORE!!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Jborohog09

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 04, 2015, 09:46:18 pm
Good find.

Thank HoginIT.  He hasn't posted here in a long time, but he's the one who hooked me up with this game and all the other highlights I've uploaded the last month.

DeltaBoy

There are tons of these games on Youtube.  I been watching them in the evenings when those nasty Say Yes to the Dress shows are on.